Author Topic: Ghost Bear - Species art.  (Read 12970 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Ghost Bear - Species art.
« Reply #30 on: 27 January 2021, 08:33:08 »
Can I has a Ghost Bear Cub?  See you have two!
If you recall, the Rasalhague unit captured a Ghost Bear Cub that hangs out their officer club pretending it's a rug before it does playful ambush.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: 28 January 2021, 01:42:10 »
If you recall, the Rasalhague unit captured a Ghost Bear Cub that hangs out their officer club pretending it's a rug before it does playful ambush.

Cute, wounder what will happen when the cub gets bigger ;D
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #32 on: 28 January 2021, 05:26:30 »
Cute, wounder what will happen when the cub gets bigger ;D

I'd guess that it could be semi-tame kinda like  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4E9yrGczbk&ab_channel=OrphanedWildlifeCenter  / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKVGL95wDw&ab_channel=OrphanedWildlifeCenter

Jimbo here was a Kodiak (he sadly passed away a few years ago) and he was raised as a cub by the chap there and he was quite friendly with other people (and performed roles in movies where they needed a bear) but he's still a huge omnivore and even if he didn't mean to hurt you a bit of a rough and tumble swipe could easily hurt (bear claws are not sharp and not retractable but when there's that much weight and strength behind them, skins pretty much paper). And a Ghost Bear is considerably bigger than a Kodiak, and more predatory. So it depends on the bear's personality, he could be quite a friendly if terrifying bear, or it could be a case of him needing to be sent somewhere (a zoo or something) purely to survive and for the safety of everyone around him.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Phantom000

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 22 September 2021, 15:06:29 »
I think the part about the ghost bear species actually having six limbs is a relic from when the developers intended the Clans to be actual aliens invading the Inner Sphere. I think it was Michael A. Stackpole who suggested making them the descendants of Kerensky and the SLDF, but by then a lot of details had been fleshed out by the time he started writing Blood of Kerensky so it got left in.

Later it was probably retconned as artistic license on the part of Jorgensson and Tseng, or whoever designed it in the first place. To me at least, the extra arms makes their insignia look more like a snowflake.

Or am I just weird?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 22 September 2021, 15:49:29 »
that's a good idea :) With the Logo though, we know from Herb that originally the Ghost bear was suppose to be a 6-limbed alien ursine like beasty, but somehow that got lost in translation and the artist drew it as a big, shaggy bear, and they just seemingly went 'eh whatever' and didn't get it changed and went with it, resulting in a 4 legged bear.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 23 September 2021, 11:30:16 »
that's a good idea :) With the Logo though, we know from Herb that originally the Ghost bear was suppose to be a 6-limbed alien ursine like beasty, but somehow that got lost in translation and the artist drew it as a big, shaggy bear, and they just seemingly went 'eh whatever' and didn't get it changed and went with it, resulting in a 4 legged bear.

Odd. I don't remember being the one to say that.

- Herb

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 23 September 2021, 14:28:30 »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #38 on: 23 September 2021, 19:30:03 »
I never took the insignia so literally but I suppose a six legged Bear would certainly be extraterrestrial. It could be the rule of cool or perhaps some sort of symbolism. Why does the Wolf Clan insignia have so many stars? I do believe the Invading Clans Sourcebook published long ago illustrated a four legged Ghost Bear.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: 23 September 2021, 20:17:05 »
Feel compelled to once again to complement the artist, it is great work.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 24 September 2021, 06:13:55 »
I never took the insignia so literally but I suppose a six legged Bear would certainly be extraterrestrial. It could be the rule of cool or perhaps some sort of symbolism. Why does the Wolf Clan insignia have so many stars? I do believe the Invading Clans Sourcebook published long ago illustrated a four legged Ghost Bear.

Aye and it was that old art that I wanted to get replaced because it was horrid and looked like an overly aggressive shagpile rug with claws.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 24 September 2021, 06:16:40 »
I always thought symbol of the Clan was that bear was fast in it's attacks.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #42 on: 24 September 2021, 08:55:32 »
I always thought symbol of the Clan was that bear was fast in it's attacks.

It's an ambush hunter -- a long period of being still, then exploding into action when the prey is close....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 24 September 2021, 16:15:02 »
Aye and it was that old art that I wanted to get replaced because it was horrid and looked like an overly aggressive shagpile rug with claws.
seconded
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 29 September 2021, 05:47:08 »
Maybe the number six has some sort of significance in the Ghost Bear iconology? Much like the Falcons and the letter 'D' (and katana).

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 29 September 2021, 15:40:03 »
Maybe they just thought that it looked cool.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #46 on: 15 October 2021, 18:13:36 »
IIRC one of the earlier quotes was about one of the C* Primuses during the 2nd? SW having dream visions of a bunch of wild animals attacking the IS.
One of them was a 6 legged bear.
Then we got the actual symbol/icon & the quote from Lethal Heritage.

But other than those early small notes everything else has been standard 4 legs.

My own Head-cannon is that he clan symbol represents many swiping claws of the bear & not an actual 6 legged bear.
The Primus was right after the Minnesota Tribe affair so maybe had insider knowledge from Wolverine refugee records or battle cam footage or something.
And just change intermediate to rear in Phelan's description and all is well.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 20 October 2021, 16:41:47 »
The artist did great work
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #48 on: 12 June 2022, 14:55:05 »
To turn this on it's head; If you revised the CGB crest to four legs, you could easily work the legs into a (St.) Cameron Cross or a Cameron Cross into the legs...
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 12 June 2022, 22:52:56 »
To turn this on it's head; If you revised the CGB crest to four legs, you could easily work the legs into a (St.) Cameron Cross or a Cameron Cross into the legs...

Oooh...I like that!

Star Captain

• Private
  • I Like Clans I like Clans I like Clans
« Reply #50 on: 28 July 2022, 05:00:07 »

And yeah, Ghost Bear's are HELLA massive, standing anywhere around 6'5 - 7 feet tall at the shoulder and if they rear up anywhere up to around 16 feet tall. Able to look a few squat mech's in their cockpit.

I read in Trial by Chaos about their size, and yea their big. Clan Elementals are nothing compared to this.
Part of the Twenty-first Combined Assault Cluster of the Clan Diamond shark Alpha galaxy.

Warhawk is cool.