Author Topic: Scarborough's 3020 Hover Vehicle Catalog  (Read 1274 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Scarborough's 3020 Hover Vehicle Catalog
« on: 26 November 2022, 13:17:50 »
I've lately found myself doing a LOT of variants of Scarborough products (the most famous of which are the Saracen/Scimitar/Saladin trio).  But that's not all they make!  They also produce the Maxim, Pegasus, Hover APC, and Heavy Hover APC!  I'm adding my non-canon "Medium Hover APC" to that list, and all of the above (save the Saracen) come with canon variants.  Non-canon designs are marked with an asterisk and linked to my threads here, while canon ones are linked to their respective Sarna pages.  The research process led to two Errata entries for Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, as it appears that book was published prior to the clarification of how Remote Sensor Dispensers work (i.e., they come with 30 sensors, and can't be reloaded).  That means as listed in the book, the APC (Hover Sensors) and Pegasus Scout Hovertank (Sensors) are underweight.  I might come back to add some ad copy up front, but the linking and thumbnail descriptions have already consumed my day so far!

Classic Designs
Saracen - a rugged and reliable striker unit (comes standard with an LRM-10 and three SRM-2s)
Scimitar - when you need the closer punch of an Autocannon (comes standard with an AC/5 and two SRM-2s)
Saladin - when your other assault gun just can't get there fast enough (comes standard with an AC/20)

Variations on a Theme
Scimitar Variants
     "Missile" Scimitar - when you want a Saracen with MORE LRMs (LRM-15, 2xSRM-2s)
     *Sahm - a dedicated anti-air unit that can keep up with the rest of your force (AC/2 and 2xLRM-5s)
     *Damascene Scimitar - incorporating the latest in cutting edge snub-nosed artillery technology (Thumper Artillery Cannon and MG)

Saladin Variants
     Armor Saladin - You asked, and we answered!  By popular demand, we traded one ton of ammunition for improved armor protection (10 shots vice 15 for the AC/20)
     *Silah Self-Propelled Artillery - It wasn't easy, but our engineers figured out how to mount a proper artillery piece on our most popular base chassis (Thumper Artillery piece and one ton of ammunition)
     *Sutra - Our best kept secret is unofficialy banned in the Draconis Combine!  This is a long lead time item and certain terms and conditions apply.  (comes standard with the legendary Blazer Cannon!)

Fully Licensed Models (and Variants)
Pegasus Scout Hovertank - This classic design has been widely produced for centuries (comes standard with a Medium laser and 2xSRM-6s)
     "Unarmed" (Cargo) Pegasus - A straight cargo conversion. (12 tons of cargo; oddly retains the (1-ton) turret with no weapons in it)
     "Missile" Pegasus Scout Hovertank - A popular variant that trades the Medium Laser for a third SRM-6 (3xSRM-6s, one more ton of ammo)
     "Sensor" Pegasus Scout Hovertank - Trades SRM tubes for remote sensors (Medium Laser, 2xSRM-4s, Remote Sensor Dispenser, otherwise unknown)

Maxim Heavy Hover Transport - Another classic that competed with our own infantry transportation solutions, so we licensed it!  (comes standard with 3xLRM-5s, 2xSRM-2s, 3xMGs, and an SRM-6)
     ?"SRM" Maxim - A straight trade-in of the LRM-5s for SRM-4s (3xSRM-4s instead of the LRMs, but not listed in Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged; only mentioned on Sarna)
     SRM-2 Maxim - Moves the SRM-2s from the sides into the turret.  A half ton of MG ammo makes up the difference for the heavier turret mechanism. (weapons the same, just arranged differently)
     SRM-4 Maxim - Trades only two of the LRM-5s for SRM-4s.  The other is traded for more ammunition. (2xSRM-4s vice 3xLRM-5s)

Hover Infantry Transport
*Shahin Infantry Fighting Vehicle - Our home-grown IFV can engage threats at all ranges, move an entire platoon at a pace that keeps up with your other hover units, AND it comes standard with Paramedic equipment to keep those troops in shape to fight! (2xLRM-5s, 1xSRM-2, Paramedic Equipment, 3 tons infantry)

Hover APC - The standard throughout the Inner Sphere for centuries! (standard comes with 2xMGs)
     Hover APC (LRM) - Mounts an LRM-5 in place of all other weapons and troop capacity (LRM-5)
     Hover APC (MG) - Trades the infantry compartment for a third Machine Gun and another half ton of ammunition (3xMGs)
     Hover APC (Sensors) - Retains the infantry compartment, but adds a Remote Sensor Dispenser (unknown, but I recommend simply dropping one MG for the RSD; errata posted to the appropriate sub-forum)
     Hover APC (SRM) - Drops the turret and Machine Guns to make room for an SRM-2 (SRM-2, no turret)

*Medium Hover APC - Our very own design to fill the gap between standard and Heavy Hover APCs (MG, 3 tons of infantry)
     *Medium Hover APC (MG) - Drops two tons of infantry for four additional Machine Guns (5xMGs, 1 ton of infantry)
     *Medium Hover APC (LRM) - Drops two tons of infantry, the Machine Gun and ammunition for an LRM-5 (LRM-5, 1 ton of infantry)
     *Medium Hover APC (Sensor) - Drops the Machine Gun and ammunition for a Remote Sensor Dispenser and Recon Camera (3 tons of infantry, Remote Sensor Dispenser, Recon Camera)
     *Medium Hover APC (SRM) - Drops two tons of infantry for an SRM-2 (MG, SRM-2, 1 ton of infantry)

Heavy Hover APC - The standard for hauling multiple platoons across the battlefield for centuries (2xMGs, 6 tons of infantry)
     Heavy Hover APC (LRM) - Trades 3 tons of infantry for an LRM-5 (2xMGs, LRM-5, 3 tons of infantry)
     Heavy Hover APC (MG) - Trades 3 tons of infantry for four additional Machine Guns (6xMGs, 3 tons of infantry)
     Heavy Hover APC (SRM) - Trades 3 tons of infantry for an SRM-4 (2xMGs, SRM-4, 3 tons of infantry)

Hover Recovery Vehicle
*Shahina - Sometimes even Scarborough's rugged vehicles need some help, and that's where the Shahina comes in!  It's impressive Lift HoistTM capability means it can haul at least two of our own designs at over 100 kph!  (4xLift Hoists, 3 tons infantry (Tech Teams/Exoskeletons)
« Last Edit: 26 November 2023, 08:25:41 by Daryk »

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
Re: Scarborough's 3020 Hover Vehicle Catalog
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2022, 13:31:18 »
tagged

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2022, 22:10:31 »
Something for your catalog, then.  I dreamt big and went with a Long Tom at first, then when I picked myself up off the ground of reality settled for something a little saner.

Code: [Select]
Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Sniper)

Mass: 50 tons
Movement Type: Hover
Power Plant: 165 ICE
Cruising Speed: 86.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 129.6 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     1 Sniper
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2689
Tech Rating/Availability: E/C-C-C-C
Cost: 1,327,000 C-bills

Type: Maxim Heavy Hover Transport
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Movement Type: Hover
Tonnage: 50
Battle Value: 434

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    5
Engine                        165 ICE                12
Cruising MP: 8
Flank MP: 12
Heat Sinks:                   0                       0
Control Equipment:                                  2.5
Lift Equipment:                                     5.0
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Armor Factor                  72                    4.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   5         20   
     R/L Side               5/5      20/20   
     Rear                    5         12   

Weapons
and Ammo              Location    Tonnage   
Sniper                 Front        20.0   
Sniper Ammo (10)        Body        1.0     

It's pretty straightforward, pop the top open on a Maxim, gut it like a trout, then lovingly and tenderly emplace a Sniper artillery piece in it.  You only get ten rounds, but!  You can put six together to make a proper firing battery, with two in each lance of the battery, and attach regular Maxims as combination bodyguard and ammo carriers.  Each of the standard Maxims would carry two tons of Sniper ammo and a squad of infantry (your Tech Team, specifically) and provide in the field reloading to the ultimate in shoot-n-scoot machine.  The six Tech Teams fit into two foot infantry bays, while the rest of the unit fits into a dozen Light Vehicle bays aboard the DropShip.  Portable and deadly, all for under sixteen million C-bills and ready to load in your favorite DropShip today!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2022, 04:14:19 »
Nicely done!  :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2022, 04:23:23 »
I am trying to imagine the recoil in a hover when you fire an artillery piece.
It should require either a skirt critical (if it is sitting on the gorund) or a piloting skill not to skid if fired on the move. Or actually autoskid and then a piloting roll not to keep skidding uncontrollably.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2022, 21:31:12 »
tag
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2023, 08:26:26 »
Internal forum links updated since the demise of "pretty links"... they should all work again!