Author Topic: BA Artillery Carrier: That mapsheet offends me.  (Read 1214 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
BA Artillery Carrier: That mapsheet offends me.
« on: 28 October 2023, 20:52:37 »
Imma leave this here. Consider checking out Ghosts of Obeedah. Pretty neat.

Type: BA Artillery Carrier
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Movement Type: Tracked
Tonnage: 60
Battle Value: LOL

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    6
Engine                        180 ICE                14
   Cruising MP: 3
   Flank MP: 5
Heat Sinks:                   0                       0
Control Equipment:                                  3.0
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Armor Factor                  250                    16

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   6         64   
     R/L Side               6/6      62/62   
     Rear                    6         62   

Weapons
and Ammo                        Location    Tonnage      
16 BA Tube Artillery             Front       8.0   
BA Tube Artillery Ammo (1862)    Body        14.0     
« Last Edit: 28 October 2023, 20:54:23 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: BA Artillery Carrier: That mapsheet offends me.
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2023, 23:08:05 »
That makes me want to shove one of 'em on a three-ton jeep.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2023, 23:09:38 »
That makes me want to shove one of 'em on a three-ton jeep.

Honestly, that was also one of my first ideas. How small of a fast artillery platform can we make?

But putting sixteen of them on a platform able to sustain fire for three hours ended up making me giggle more.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2023, 05:42:55 »
Is this a Halloween product? ???

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2023, 15:16:20 »
Yes.

And for some reason it makes me excessively giddy thinking about the Union negotiations for mandated breaks and how many of these vehicles you need to keep up a near continual barrage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2023, 15:48:08 »
Thanks!  Off to Drive Thru to look for it... :)

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2023, 16:44:00 »
Let me make sure I'm getting the math right.

If you fire all 16 tubes each turn, in order to use all 1862 rounds, it would take around 116 turns of continuous firing.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2023, 16:48:45 »
Let me make sure I'm getting the math right.

If you fire all 16 tubes each turn, in order to use all 1862 rounds, it would take around 116 turns of continuous firing.

Yes. Tragically I missed a variable in my prior calculations and you can only fire continuously for 19 minutes. Which is probably for the best. Less likely we'll discover that shells cooking off from overheating barrels is a thing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2023, 16:50:05 »
Got it!  And happy to see Herb back in business! :)

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2023, 21:27:12 »
Only half a ton for a mech scale BA artillery piece? Seems a bit light to me. YMMV
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2023, 21:34:48 »
Only half a ton for a mech scale BA artillery piece? Seems a bit light to me. YMMV

I'll be honest. It feels light to me too, and the ammunition efficiency is so good I'm still not certain I'm not doing it wrong.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2023, 03:19:24 »
BA Artillery is weird in a lot of ways...

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2023, 03:52:08 »
0.5 tons is just a case of "if I ignore how weapon weights compare in existing weapons, I can get superlight weapons!".

If BA tube artillery followed the pattern of other BA weapons it should be something like 2 tons/2 heat or 2.5 tons/1 heat. 130 shots/ton.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2023, 22:10:07 »
I'd say 2 tons, at least that's what I use.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2023, 22:21:21 »
Hmm the thoughts of a horde of hover apcs with a load of these or just for serious giggles a lance of maxims with the turret and infantry compartment converted over to this is kinda fun
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2023, 12:27:14 »
Hmm the thoughts of a horde of hover apcs with a load of these or just for serious giggles a lance of maxims with the turret and infantry compartment converted over to this is kinda fun

Or BA missile launchers.  My copy of Tech Manual (corr 6th printing, p347) has the Inner Sphere version of BA Missile launchers as 60 kg per reloadable tube, so a BA-?RM25 would be 1.5 tons.  1 ton of SRM ammo would be 4 turns of fire (10 kg/missile = 100/ton), 1 ton of LRM ammo would be just under 5 turns of fire (8.33 kg/missile = 120/ton), and 1 ton of MRM ammo would be 8 turns of fire (5 kg/missile = 200/ton).

This vehicle has 22 tons available, so how about:
BA-SRM75 = 4.5 tons
Turret tonnage = .5 tons
Ammo = 17 tons
Endurance:
- LRM: 27.2 turns
- MRM: 45.3 turns
- SRM: ~22.6 turns

Your opponent will be fighting in the shade, especially if you redo the MRM setup as:
BA-MRM150 = 9 tons
Turret = 1 ton
Ammo = 12 tons
Endurance = 16 turns

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2023, 12:54:16 »
BA weapons being carried by standard units was a mistake...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2023, 13:05:40 »
BA weapons being carried by standard units was a mistake...

A fair number of them aren't too terrifying, though they could probably use a more significant downside (like increase the chance that they break when the location takes damage, or maybe give them a jamming risk).

BA artillery, though, should have gone on the prohibited list with the missiles. Hell, BA artillery probably shouldn't have existed in the first place, at least the way it is now.

-snip-

BA missile launchers were specifically prohibited by the Ghosts of Obeedah rules.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 05 November 2023, 13:18:52 »
BA missile launchers were specifically prohibited by the Ghosts of Obeedah rules.

Ah.  I had only gotten to page 52 so far.

Still, rounding the missile weapons up to the nearest quarter ton turns them into 250-kg missile launchers, so a BA-SRM-4 would mass 1 ton.  Not as unbalanced, but still better than Mech-grade weapons.

Making them fragile might be the key, where each pt of damage on a unit will disable one BA-scale weapon on the unit (starting with the BA-scale weapon that does the most damage).  Area effect weapons would have to get some sort of bonus to this disabling effect.  Doubling the rate might be an easy calculation, so a unit in the 5-ring of an artillery impact will lose its 5 heaviest BA-scale weapons first, then the unit takes 5 pts of damage and loses another 5 BA-scale weapons.

(Basically, take the damage -> disabled weapon rules from page 54 and make them worse.  Damage to any location will damage any BA weapons, will damage multiple BA weapons each time, and the most dangerous BA weapons will fail first.)

Good use for the Pike vehicle, as it can plink away BA-scale direct-fire weapons from well outside their range.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2023, 13:22:00 by idea weenie »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #19 on: 05 November 2023, 21:04:32 »
Still, rounding the missile weapons up to the nearest quarter ton turns them into 250-kg missile launchers, so a BA-SRM-4 would mass 1 ton.  Not as unbalanced, but still better than Mech-grade weapons.

That would be as good as a mech-grade, Clantech (but not Spheroidtech) SRM-4.  FWIW...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 05 November 2023, 21:06:09 »
Except that:
*snip*