Author Topic: Moreau Battle tank (Fuel cell) !!Comments Welcome!!  (Read 470 times)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
Moreau Battle tank (Fuel cell) !!Comments Welcome!!
« on: 23 January 2024, 12:19:40 »
Named for General Jean Victor Marie Moreau, one of Napoleon's generals.

Brief Summary:
Likely part of the Fronc Reaches, or a design used in the FedSun's Periphery March. Considering the connotations of the name, might very well be a design originally meant for the FedSuns, then ended up being built in the Fronc Reaches. Before eventually, after they re-merged with the Suns, back with the AFFS.

Kept things relatively simplistic considering where it was going to be built, why, and for its intended opposition (mostly pirates and/or Taurians). A single UAC/10 is the only real advanced piece of tech on the design outside of the fuel cell, and the Ultra is probably one of the easiest/cheapest upgrades around. Twin LRM-5s on either side of the main gun can either support it, lay down mines, or pop smoke, as there's two tons of ammo available. Beyond that, it has a Mgun coaxial to the main gun in the turret, and a Mgun in the front glacis next to the driver. Very simple and easy to keep running for ages in the field, but the engine is somewhat overpowered, producing too much torque, for it's mass and ends up running through the fuel cell faster then other vehicles. Generally an acceptable trade-off as its meant as a planetary defender, not for attacking other worlds. The solitary heat sink is used to keep the interior refreshingly cool in hot climates and is situated directly below the main crew area - usually modified immediately after arriving into the motor pool to double as a small cooler for any rations/provisions.

Design Quirks:
Easy to Maintain
Gas Hog

Code: [Select]
Moreau Battle Tank

Mass: 70 tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: 280 Fuel Cell
Cruising Speed: 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     1 Ultra AC/10
     2 Machine Gun
     2 LRM 5
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-X-D
Cost: 2,823,983 C-bills

Type: Moreau
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Movement Type: Tracked
Tonnage: 70
Battle Value: 1,171

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    7
Engine                        280 Fuel Cell        19.5
Cruising MP: 4
Flank MP: 6
Heat Sinks:                   1                       0
Control Equipment:                                  3.5
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Turret:                                             2.0
Armor Factor                  232                  14.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   7         60   
     R/L Side               7/7      45/45   
     Rear                    7         35   
     Turret                  7         47   

Weapons
and Ammo                      Location    Tonnage   
Machine Gun                    Front        0.5     
Ultra AC/10                    Turret       13.0   
2 LRM 5                        Turret       4.0     
Machine Gun                    Turret       0.5     
LRM 5 Ammo (48)                 Body        2.0     
Ultra AC/10 Ammo (30)           Body        3.0     
Half Machine Gun Ammo (100)     Body        0.5     

« Last Edit: 23 January 2024, 12:22:52 by AngryButler with a KNIFE! »
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Moreau Battle tank (Fuel cell) !!Comments Welcome!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2024, 18:09:27 »
Why not an LB-X and another LRM-5?

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2024, 20:06:36 »
I like the design and fluff, and appreciate that it has sufficient ammo for all the weapons.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2024, 23:30:47 »
Why not an LB-X and another LRM-5?
Trying for simplicity. For someone in the Periphery or the 'backwater' worlds where training is few & far between, its easier to explain 'double tap, but don't do it too fast, so think of ____ song's beat and go by that', versus, 'you'll need to learn how to switch ammo types while being shot at, then switch back, and know which is best at which times'. Also, since its the near-Periphery/in the Periphery, they likely won't really need the extra range advantage that LB-Xs allow for, since most pirates and other groups, are going to be using SSW era stuff, or only 1/4-1/2 upgraded custom refits.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2024, 23:31:50 »
I like the design and fluff, and appreciate that it has sufficient ammo for all the weapons.
seconded
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2024, 00:42:30 »
Trying for simplicity. For someone in the Periphery or the 'backwater' worlds where training is few & far between, its easier to explain 'double tap, but don't do it too fast, so think of ____ song's beat and go by that', versus, 'you'll need to learn how to switch ammo types while being shot at, then switch back, and know which is best at which times'. Also, since its the near-Periphery/in the Periphery, they likely won't really need the extra range advantage that LB-Xs allow for, since most pirates and other groups, are going to be using SSW era stuff, or only 1/4-1/2 upgraded custom refits.
Both are equal in technology rating, while the LB-X is more available, so that would appear to make it the clear choice.

As for the insinuation that periphery folk would have trouble understanding two ammo types, I'm not sure how to respond to that.  Regular ACs have plenty of ammo types, and so do ubiquitous LRMs and SRMs, and some of those are very producible and available.  This is a problem that 20th century humans have already figured out.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2024, 04:16:58 »
I think the jamming issue would be worse than figuring which ammo to use, but that's just my opinion.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2024, 10:42:05 »
Both are equal in technology rating, while the LB-X is more available, so that would appear to make it the clear choice.

As for the insinuation that periphery folk would have trouble understanding two ammo types, I'm not sure how to respond to that.  Regular ACs have plenty of ammo types, and so do ubiquitous LRMs and SRMs, and some of those are very producible and available.  This is a problem that 20th century humans have already figured out.
Not quite what I meant. They know what the ammo types are, its more that - at least in canon - most Periphery defenders are basically farmboys thrown into a vehicle, pointed at Pirates, and asked not to die before killing at least one first. The simpler the mechanics of how to use a tank, the better. Thus 'double tap the trigger' is far simpler to train them on, than trying to teach how how to juggle which ammo to use on which target, at which time, and when to switch back. While being shot at. KISS principles and all that.

Perhaps a variant, later, that has an LB-10X.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2024, 18:18:07 »
Not quite what I meant. They know what the ammo types are, its more that - at least in canon - most Periphery defenders are basically farmboys thrown into a vehicle, pointed at Pirates, and asked not to die before killing at least one first. The simpler the mechanics of how to use a tank, the better. Thus 'double tap the trigger' is far simpler to train them on, than trying to teach how how to juggle which ammo to use on which target, at which time, and when to switch back. While being shot at. KISS principles and all that.
"Your gun's got slugs and explosive buckshot.  If you need to blast a hole in something, use slugs.  If you need to detrack a tank or swat a chopper out of the sky, use buckshot."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2024, 20:42:51 »
"Your gun's got slugs and explosive buckshot.  If you need to blast a hole in something, use slugs.  If you need to detrack a tank or swat a chopper out of the sky, use buckshot."
Yeah, that... :)

Register