Author Topic: Mechs available in 3150  (Read 7728 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Mechs available in 3150
« on: 18 January 2018, 13:45:40 »
Still stuck in the 3050's - 3080's but it appears that the Gargoyle is still in use in 3145 ish.

Is it being produced in this time period or is this a situation where there were so many mechs available that enough parts can be manufactured/found to keep the design operational. 

Thank you

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Mechs available in 3150
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2018, 14:14:58 »
I don't have the book handy from the office, but the War of Reaving Supplemental had a list of Clan designs that are no longer in production- if no one else gets around to checking that list for you here, that's probably the best place to look.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2018, 14:48:29 »
War of Reaving Supplemental does not list the Gargoyle amongst the designs the Home Clans no longer use. For what it's worth, the Wolves and Hell's Horses were very fond of the Gargoyle. I imagine the Hell's Horses like it a lot due to the fact that it rarely uses torso mounted weapons and makes a good heavy Elemental Transport.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2018, 15:44:47 »
If it ain't produced anymore, there are likely so many of them left they're far from extinct for now. This might be the likeliest scenario: Objectives The Clans does not list Gargoyle anywhere (at least i can't find it there). Sarna lists Gargoyle production sites as Tokasha, and "Wolf Clan Site OZ-1" but i've no idea what place that is and the link's red. But if it is in Wolf territory, it probably survived since Tamar aside, the Wolf industrial facilities seem to be in pretty good condition. Unless it was on Tamar...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2018, 15:54:06 »
If it ain't produced anymore, there are likely so many of them left they're far from extinct for now. This might be the likeliest scenario: Objectives The Clans does not list Gargoyle anywhere (at least i can't find it there). Sarna lists Gargoyle production sites as Tokasha, and "Wolf Clan Site OZ-1" but i've no idea what place that is and the link's red. But if it is in Wolf territory, it probably survived since Tamar aside, the Wolf industrial facilities seem to be in pretty good condition. Unless it was on Tamar...
It likely was Occupation Zone on Tamar, but the Blakist nuked it.  Sarna going by what the TROs were saying, sometimes they don't mention where these the production plants were.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2018, 10:36:18 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2018, 16:20:34 »
Well, that's a good point as well- so many were built that it's likely to survive for a long time in service even after production ends. We saw a Jade Falcon driving a Night Gyr in one of the Dark Age novels, decades after that design was (apparently) out of production, after all, and it's hard to believe it's the only one left in the Clan.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2018, 16:32:15 »
The Clans are pretty meticulous about using things until they're nothing more but scrap, so they'll be using any Gargoyles they've still got for a while yet, me thinks.

Requiemking

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2018, 21:24:03 »
The Clans are pretty meticulous about using things until they're nothing more but scrap, so they'll be using any Gargoyles they've still got for a while yet, me thinks.
Not to mention the fact that the Gargoyle is one of the easiest Clan Assault Omnis to repair, as all you really need to do is swap out the arms to restore 95% of it's firepower.
Mist Match

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2018, 05:43:13 »
There's a big difference between "out of production" and "extinct". In the Man O' War's case, it's still a common enough 'Mech, even if it's no longer being produced. Hell, it even got a new variant in the 3120s.

MUL is your friend.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2018, 07:19:49 »
I thought MUL not perfect though.  There always a detail missing since it's done on volunteer basis just like Sarna isn't it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2018, 11:19:28 »
I thought MUL not perfect though.  There always a detail missing since it's done on volunteer basis just like Sarna isn't it?

Whether it's perfect or not, its data is canonical.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2018, 11:37:34 »

Nothing is perfect.  If you want to question something on the MUL, there's a thread for that.
Both the MUL and Sarna are done by volunteers.  However, the MUL is official, the volunteers are specifically "chartered" by CGL. The MUL is a product of CGL.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2018, 12:18:30 »
I'm not knocking down MUL, it's needed tool.  It's just slow progress.
Sarna.net cite's only canon sources.  There older articles it was not done, they've been noted and many corrected.

I just hope this year we will see finally 3150's Record Sheet books. 
« Last Edit: 20 January 2018, 21:52:38 by Wrangler »

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2018, 18:07:33 »
I was leaning towards the no longer in production option.  Still don't understand the replacing the Timber Wolf cheap fiction but oh well

Nice to see the Jade Falcons improved on the Hellbringer.

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2018, 19:29:51 »
Aren't any new production Mad Cats in 3145 handmade?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2018, 21:51:29 »
Aren't any new production Mad Cats in 3145 handmade?

Yep. The only source of new Mad Cats since the Jihad has been a workshop on Weingarten that builds them by hand from hand-tooled parts. It was described as the Inner Sphere's "least productive assembly line." It's current status is uncelar, as it might have been disasembled/moved/abandoned with the Wolf migration.

The Wolves never migrated Mad Cat production from the homeworlds, and simply assumed that their supply lines would remain functional forever. That worked out fantastically for them. This left them with no capacity to build the 'Mech at all; no tooling, no blueprints, no machinery, not even a source of spare parts.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2018, 23:58:34 »
To be blunt, the  Ghost Bears got psychic premonitions about every factory the Wolves tried to build in the Inner Sphere and appeared just as the Wolves got them done. That made the extra long supply lines feasible and development of the Inner Sphere OZ undesirable.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2018, 16:15:02 »
To be blunt, the  Ghost Bears got psychic premonitions about every factory the Wolves tried to build in the Inner Sphere and appeared just as the Wolves got them done. That made the extra long supply lines feasible and development of the Inner Sphere OZ undesirable.

Actually, you've got this backwards.  It turns out that Clan Ghost Bear are the "Chief White Halfoat" of the Battletech Universe.  Battlemech Factories appear in response to where they want to go to.  They actually didn't WANT Tokasha Mechworks back in the day, it just happened to appear at a time that coincided with them showing up.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2018, 17:11:48 »
When did the Ghost Bears take a 'Mech Factory from the Wolf OZ? I don't ever recall that happening.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2018, 18:22:23 »
Satalice when the Wolves started building Locust IICs there.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2018, 00:02:19 »
Satalice when the Wolves started building Locust IICs there.

That's one time on a world that was already on the border after the Wolves had already provoked the Bears. Hardly a pattern.

And even then, that was in the mid-3060s. By then, the Falcons and Bears had set up far more manufacturing in the Inner Sphere, both in terms of new lines and ones transplanted from the homeworlds.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2018, 21:24:26 by Deadborder »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2018, 18:38:37 »
The Warden Wolves were building the Timberwolf on Arc Royal . . . doubt the Gargoyle, but after the Jihad . . . who knows, TPTB were pretty clear about wiping them out and then TRO3150 came out.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2018, 00:50:51 »
The Warden Wolves were building the Timberwolf on Arc Royal . . . doubt the Gargoyle, but after the Jihad . . . who knows, TPTB were pretty clear about wiping them out and then TRO3150 came out.

The Wardens were building the Mad Cat on Arc-Royal before the Jihad. That line was destroyed in the Jihad and never rebuilt.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2018, 01:57:18 »
Yep. The only source of new Mad Cats since the Jihad has been a workshop on Weingarten that builds them by hand from hand-tooled parts. It was described as the Inner Sphere's "least productive assembly line." It's current status is uncelar, as it might have been disasembled/moved/abandoned with the Wolf migration.

The Wolves never migrated Mad Cat production from the homeworlds, and simply assumed that their supply lines would remain functional forever. That worked out fantastically for them. This left them with no capacity to build the 'Mech at all; no tooling, no blueprints, no machinery, not even a source of spare parts.
i get the feeling that workshop's main output was not full mechs, but rather any unique spare parts existing Timber Wolves required to stay operational. (since most should be shared with other clan designs that are still in production)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2018, 18:12:04 »
and, from the other end, I once did the math, and based on BT's own repair rules, starting with the empty air where you want a timber wolf to be, and repairing the empty mech bay until there is a Timber Wolf standing there, this hand-assembly line has a possible output range of anywhere between 4 and 50 mechs per year.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #25 on: 18 February 2018, 19:26:20 »
and, from the other end, I once did the math, and based on BT's own repair rules, starting with the empty air where you want a timber wolf to be, and repairing the empty mech bay until there is a Timber Wolf standing there, this hand-assembly line has a possible output range of anywhere between 4 and 50 mechs per year.
that's actually better than some of the full Factories.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2018, 19:33:35 »
Yeah, it's hard to get solid numbers on anything.

You look too closely at any of this, and it becomes quite obvious that none of it holds up, that none of it makes any sense, and it's not put together with the eye towards realism that it seems like it should have. This is just another aspect of that.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 26 February 2018, 09:34:44 »

I still have a hard time swallowing the assertion that the same Clan that staged a daring rescue of the Kerensky genetic legacy from the Blood Chapel somehow couldn’t throw some Timber Wolf blueprints and schematics on the 31st Century version of a thumb drive somewhere.

It’s such a bad bid of writing, almost like some bad fan fiction or something.

Why they would seek to marginalize one of the iconic mechs of this game is really puzzling.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2018, 11:03:15 »
I still have a hard time swallowing the assertion that the same Clan that staged a daring rescue of the Kerensky genetic legacy from the Blood Chapel somehow couldn’t throw some Timber Wolf blueprints and schematics on the 31st Century version of a thumb drive somewhere.

It’s such a bad bid of writing, almost like some bad fan fiction or something.

Why they would seek to marginalize one of the iconic mechs of this game is really puzzling.

Psh, I've forgotten a thumb drive with a presentation just because I was late to CLASS.  Never mind when people are trying to kill me!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2018, 11:33:42 »
Yeah, its that Clan couple driving to the Inner Sphere from Home . . .

"Trothkin, did you turn out the lights before we left, quiaff?"

"Aff, the lights were out."

"Did you get the giftake from the chapel, quiaff?"

"Aff trothkin, I am just glad you picked up the Timberwolf specs."

"I did?  I thought you got the specs, quineg?"

"Neg . . . "

"I am not turning this car around, we are nearly there.  We will just adapt!"

All joking aside . . . yeah, they should have just taken a single Timberwolf apart & study to get the specs as well as cast forms for any machining.  I mean we may have ended up with something like Mad Dog I vs II where there were cosmetic differences but . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."