Author Topic: Talk to me about... The Clint IIC  (Read 3562 times)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Talk to me about... The Clint IIC
« on: 31 October 2012, 08:40:53 »
Ok let's get it out of the way... Single heat sinks and clantech what the #%*! that's dumb

Now this thing appears in the 3085 RAT for the Adders and I assume they acquired them from the Spirits and Ravens during the little squabble in the homeworlds.

I am looking at running a little mini campaign in MM with a 3090's second line force of some what oddball machines used for the absolute dregs of clan duty.  I think this thing fits the bill for my star of has been true lens and barely there freeborns.  It seems somewhat tactically flexible for what it is.

Anyone use this thing?  Like it?  Hate it?  Is it quirky or just bad?

To the patient go the spoils

MadVoorpak

• Master Sergeant
    • Talking about Tech
Re: Talk to me about... The Clint IIC
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2012, 09:03:14 »
Love the Clint. Love it, the IIC Remains a favourite in my books, but personally I would of prefered an all energy arnament instead of the LBX another LPL.

but, it's still an exceptional light mech hunter and vehicle annoyer.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2012, 09:51:07 »
I like it.  The guns are pretty good, the mobility is average.  Not too many complaints about munchy clantech if I field it.  Its flawed but not unusable by any means.  A copy of the 2-3U would be OK by me, and could probably still be just average if it kept the SHS.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2012, 15:01:46 »
I always try tpo swap to doubles with it. I cannot get my tiny brain past those singles.
May no one ever know less then me......

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2012, 15:50:56 »
Cold1, you seem to forget the '2' variant.

Clint IIC 2 - Developed during the Jihad in 3073, the Clint IIC 2 was fitted with an all-energy weapons configuration. The 'Mech mounts five Medium Pulse Lasers( 1 in the center torso, 1 left torso, and 3 in the right arm). It has been provided eight Improved Jump Jets to increase its mobility in tactical situations. Has upgraded the heatsinks to double heatsinks and has an ECM suite installed in the head. Lastly, Ferro-Fiberous armor has been fitted in place of the original standard armor.

See also my avatar.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2012, 16:08:36 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2012, 19:05:03 »
Cold1, you seem to forget the '2' variant.

See also my avatar.

Yeah I know about that one but figured it was a Raven only toy.  Plus it seems a littke easier to use than the original.

To the patient go the spoils

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2012, 01:11:55 »
Well, I definately have a story regarding this mech and I think Savage Coyote has told it a time or two.  Most of the points I would address have been mentioned, but I want to point one thing out.

Normally we say Clan mechs are under-ammo'd . . . the Clint IIC is not, even allowing for slug and cluster, four tons is a bit much IMO.  Using the 4th ton for something else always seemed to make sense to me.  My character fought his way through most of the Refusal War with a Clint IIC- per the fluff it was Wolf replacement gear so IMO ideal for Tau Galaxy . . . especially with what my character did to pass his Trial of Position.  It survived until I traded it in for a salvaged Black Lanner.  Not sure how many kills I got with it.

For Wolf it will really shine against Ghost Bear and especially Hell's Horses combined arms formations.  Less effective against the Falcons, though the chuckles of shooting down the birdbrains applies.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2012, 14:45:49 »
Did the SLDF ever have an advanced munitions program beyond the LB-X? 4 tons of ammo is great for loading a mix of precision/AP ammo for a standard AC10.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2012, 16:54:12 »
Nothing for the LB-X has ever surfaced.  They didn't even continue research programs into the other AC classes.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2012, 17:23:40 »

If I have to use the standard version, then I would use it to hunt vehicles and VTOLs. Its basically a highly mobile LBX10 with plenty of ammo, a bit of a rarity.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Nightsky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2012, 23:41:04 »
The original Clint IIC is a wimpy but cheap low-end Medium, relatively mobile but not really enough to offset the poor armour. It does have enough ammo so you can blaze away every turn in an average game, and it has two ER Medium Lasers which are one of the most efficient Clan weapons. Overall I'd rank it alongside the likes of the Great Wyrm, sub-par but not useless.

The Clint IIC 2 is a rather munchy jump-pulser, a huge improvement over the original.