Author Topic: Future of Regulus?  (Read 8408 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Future of Regulus?
« Reply #30 on: 11 June 2018, 09:03:13 »
 Perhaps you can still be persuaded to the bicameral League argument?

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: 11 June 2018, 19:14:24 »
Perhaps you can still be persuaded to the bicameral League argument?

The closer that a hypothetical  new FWL is to the founding principles (Representative Commonality) the more likely Regulus would consider it.
However IF it's just a rehash of the grotesque parody that the League became under Thomas (i.e. Blakist piggybank ) then I doubt it
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 11 June 2018, 20:46:36 »
The closer that a hypothetical  new FWL is to the founding principles (Representative Commonality) the more likely Regulus would consider it.
However IF it's just a rehash of the grotesque parody that the League became under Thomas (i.e. Blakist piggybank ) then I doubt it
Think about it like this. The Free Worlds League was reassembled by a mix of the Lyran aggression toward League real estate, and technical Marik blood. If you turn the Warden into a permanent position that can be manned by anyone, keep the Captain-Generalcy within a royal line, and keep the speaker in their Semi-Presidency position, you could have a strong reform. The Warden could as easily be an Ov-Khan Kalasa, as a Cameron-Jones, or even an upped marshal if they suit the position. The League Council will maintain appropriate governing powers.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2018, 20:49:19 by Minemech »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 11 June 2018, 20:50:58 »
 I know this leaves the powers vague.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 11 June 2018, 21:15:05 »
 One trick would be to make the Speaker the head of both chambers, and have the speaker appoint a 1st Minister who represents the Provinces. Make it a tradition that the 1st Minister be from the loyal opposition. Grant the Speaker pigeon-holding power, but allow the 1st Minister to argue positions before The League Council.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2018, 22:37:42 »
Is Lester Cameron-Jones still the Prince? Does he have a successor? Since he does not have kids, I don't want that line to die out. I don't understand why so many Inner Sphere nobles seem to have a high rate of single children (Melissa Steiner, Theodore Kurita).

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2018, 22:53:06 »
Is Lester Cameron-Jones still the Prince? Does he have a successor? Since he does not have kids, I don't want that line to die out. I don't understand why so many Inner Sphere nobles seem to have a high rate of single children (Melissa Steiner, Theodore Kurita).

There was another Cameron-Jones mentioned in the intelligence services, so its not like there weren't   any cousins or other relatives.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 12 June 2018, 07:42:08 »

I have bad news then.

Royalty or not, there's no fetching young princess-in-waiting who's going to want to marry a guy named 'Lester'. It's just a rule, look it up.  :D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 12 June 2018, 08:20:50 »
There was another Cameron-Jones mentioned in the intelligence services, so its not like there weren't   any cousins or other relatives.
At worst, lines of memberstates have been replaced before.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #39 on: 12 June 2018, 08:59:48 »
At worst, lines of memberstates have been replaced before.

That IS true. Allison line comes to mind.

...hell, going all the way to the national level, two of the neighboring states have had it happen, with Steiner becoming the royalty of the Lyran state, and the new bastard line on the throne in the Combine. It's known to happen. Must be really strange when it does, but there's at least a system.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #40 on: 12 June 2018, 10:10:00 »
I have bad news then.

Royalty or not, there's no fetching young princess-in-waiting who's going to want to marry a guy named 'Lester'. It's just a rule, look it up.  :D

Lester had problems with his marital and noble duties.  But yeah, the TRO has something about a cousin or such distant line taking over and being more friendly to the neo-FWL.

Sadly I think part of the problem is the fictional writers for BTU are not from a political system that gets dynastic politics in which popping out & controlling heirs is a BIG deal.  I am not, and I know even though I have studied history that its not as important to me a child of a republican system of government.  Most of the Houses and to the extent we know them lesser nobility in the Houses, have failed in their biggest responsibility in ruling- stability in the form of a heir and a spare.  Jessica and Vincent Kurita were the only major players who met those conditions . . . and once his son died, Vinny made the big mistake of keeping everyone together so when a dropship wobbled, bye bye.  Even then, they were not successful in that primary function- Jessica and Vincent SHOULD have been grandparents, see my Melissa comments.

Harrison Hasek-Sandoval-Steiner-Davion?  Not only was his ONLY heir a dud, he did not clearly lay out the succession- which was ALSO a big deal in royal politics.  Henry the  VIII sent quite a few people to meet the headsman over the years as his heirs changed simply b/c they did not endorse his succession plan as much as he would have liked.  And that is a single long lived ruler plucked out of hundreds of years of history.

Melissa Steiner?  No known consort, no known children, did not even seem to think of her successor . . . had cousins, and apparently watched them more closely than is generally acknowledged (comments to Trillian).  She sort of gives off a Elizabeth vibe in this aspect of her rule- no bodily heir or seeming desire/plan for it.  If she planned all along to pass the Archon-ship back to the Steiner-Davion line . . . she should have been marrying off Trillian- heck even Roderick!  You do not leave people in such close proximity to the throne single!  You marry them off to strength internal alliances as well as to block them from being pawns for other people's moves- like Vedet!  What of instead of being so vocal he had sought to court Trillian, using THAT path to the Archon's throne?

Dao-shen . . . well, I do not want to even get into that mega-can of worms.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 12 June 2018, 10:26:06 »
Sadly I think part of the problem is the fictional writers for BTU are not from a political system that gets dynastic politics in which popping out & controlling heirs is a BIG deal.  I am not, and I know even though I have studied history that its not as important to me a child of a republican system of government.  Most of the Houses and to the extent we know them lesser nobility in the Houses, have failed in their biggest responsibility in ruling- stability in the form of a heir and a spare.  Jessica and Vincent Kurita were the only major players who met those conditions . . . and once his son died, Vinny made the big mistake of keeping everyone together so when a dropship wobbled, bye bye.  Even then, they were not successful in that primary function- Jessica and Vincent SHOULD have been grandparents, see my Melissa comments.

A good analogy to the dynastic political system is the big family owned corporate conglomerate.  I would say particularly those in Asia where you can sometimes see the full dynastic politics and intrigue in play between children maneuvering to try to secure themselves as heir apparent to the aging ruler (often a patriarch).  One sees also grooming of the heir apparent in all areas of rulership and politics, and that is something we don't seem to see too much of in the latest generation of the BTU.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 12 June 2018, 11:04:24 »
Yeah . . . Julian was being groomed but Harrison never let on.  Jessica was . . . I am not sure, just testing?  instructing and then testing?  But it was not the same behaviors as Harrison/Julian.  We do get to see a tiny bit of the outside involvement with the heir with how the Hasek matriarch protected Caleb's prerogatives and slammed the door on Julian.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 12 June 2018, 15:50:24 »
 Jessica's children were already engaging in statesmanship. Nikol was rightly recognized for her skill. Jessica was constantly testing their ability to see the big picture, something necessary for her successor. That said, her various heirs did demonstrate talent. Now what she did with another daughter was frightfully risky.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 15:56:05 by Minemech »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #44 on: 12 June 2018, 16:15:21 »
Well, I was just thinking what happened with the oldest two while Chris & Nikol were still young'uns.  My wife is really into the history of the English throne from Norman on and so we have had discussions about the Lost Boys.  She enjoyed our visit to the Tower as well as Ann Bolyen's home.
Colt Ward

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #45 on: 13 June 2018, 00:27:16 »

You don't need to be from such political system to learn the importance of heirs, couple of playthroughs in Crusader Kings 2 is enough to elucidate you the concept.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 13 June 2018, 08:16:34 »
 I think part of the problem came up in old threads where some of the fanbase saw the Houses as too static. That same group also argues for more states. I think they would want to make dynastic marriages more common. The issue is that BattleTech is not well designed for a Habsburg line.

I thought the bigger problem with the FedCOm era was in mech design. FedCom mechs had to be so designed to counter the clans that they were not as favorable for games requiring abstract thought. They simply moved the straight forward mechs where they needed to be moved, and used their power guns. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 13 June 2018, 10:16:47 »

You don't need to be from such political system to learn the importance of heirs, couple of playthroughs in Crusader Kings 2 is enough to elucidate you the concept.

Its not just producing heirs, its about how they are used . . . and while BT authors may have studied history, its not something that seemed to be grasped very well.  All 5 Steiner-Davion children were at loose ends.  The Theo's kids were in a similar state of being free.  Thomas and his plotting with Isis is the only one in the 3050s who was doing it 'right.'  Even the generation before has that problem . . . all Janos kids, nieces & nephews were at loose ends, Ian should have been setting up Hanse- heck their parents should have already been setting up arrangements as children, Takashi's distance from Theo and expectation of being murdered for his son to take power sort of explains that situation.

For example, I recently read the Brush Wars summary of the Andurien War . . . Catherine Humphreys had what, 5 or more children?  (or was it 5 sons?) and none of the children were attached though all who were willing were positioned to strengthen their family's power . . . but if she was courting fellow opponents of the Mariks, she should have been marrying one off to the Cameron-Jones brood.  The only bit that seemed to acknowledge the familial side of politics was the 'rumor' of one of her sons marrying one of the Centrella women.
Colt Ward

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 13 June 2018, 10:39:02 »
 What you may be hitting at may have also been hinted by Thaddeus Marik when he famously states (I may be paraphrasing) "The further you are from Terra, the further back in time you go." Thaddeus did not seem to grasp that there was deep significance in the father handing his daughter in the marriage, and being present at the marriage. He would have been a terrible Captain-General in that regard, while an excellent Warden.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #49 on: 13 June 2018, 10:43:06 »
Was it Thad or his brother?

Anyway, modern Western marriage practices are a historical aberration while we treat them as the norm b/c its what we are used to and has existed for our 'personal' history.
Colt Ward

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #50 on: 25 June 2018, 07:07:17 »
In my opinion it is time for the FWL to become the protagonist viewpoint faction, as Davion was in the early franchise era and Wolf was post clan invasion.
The above comment intentionally shallow, but it makes the point.  The history of the League has always been something mentioned more or less in the background while points of view focused around other factions.

In the 3150's they are in a good position plotwise to make play.  They can easily become the elephant in the room, and can prop up or undermine other more precarious factions.  The CapCon have a lot of room to play but they are locked in plotwise and can be taken on autopilot for the purposes of main plot, just as the League was for most of the 31st century timeline.

There is still a focus on what the Wolves are doing, and due to the direction and nature of their expansion it will require active writer time, it cannot be relegated to background events summarised in Field Manuals.  This also places the Lyrans in the same position, and maybe the Falcons, though Malvina Hazen is a known force and can be played on autopilot for a while.

It is time for the League to have central fleshed out protagonist characters and a major plotline, for good or ill from their perspective. They have a lot to do internally, they also have a lot of direction for expansion either political or military that will make interesting fiction.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 25 June 2018, 10:00:50 »
All of that was 15 years ago . . . they drove the last half of the MWDA novels.
Colt Ward

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 12 July 2018, 08:03:51 »
...but does he have a purple eagle forehead tattoo

I have no idea, but if not, it seems easily fixed.  :thumbsup:

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: 10 August 2018, 06:55:28 »
Time to update this thread....  :o

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #54 on: 10 August 2018, 08:58:53 »
All your base are belong to us?
Colt Ward

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 10 August 2018, 10:03:43 »
More importantly, does everybody have the Sarath now? 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #56 on: 10 August 2018, 20:16:49 »
Seems like a repeat of what happened with Gerald "The Avenger" Marik, even down to roping in the Scourge of Death and Selajs for another appearance.  A bit disappointing that the Regulan Hussars went down a little too quickly but it was a good way go get some signature FWL units under the FWL flag again. 

It was a little interesting to see Jessica Marik, who was depicted in Wars of the Republic Era as a more rational elder statesman type fly off the deep end after Phil Hughes falls off a cliff.  Starting wars against three different states over a hiking accident with no proof of foul play or even any idea who was responsible? That is nutty.  Even the resident crazies of the BTech universe make that seem sane by comparison.  Malvina at least has some kind of doctrinal explanation for her brutality and Daoshen is actually pretty rational in his paranoia about the Republic for a guy that thinks he's a god.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 10 August 2018, 21:53:49 »
It'd have been insane if they'd lost any of those wars.  Instead, it's visionary, and an excellent example of decisive leadership. :thumbsup:
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #58 on: 10 August 2018, 23:31:41 »
Seems like a repeat of what happened with Gerald "The Avenger" Marik, even down to roping in the Scourge of Death and Selajs for another appearance.  A bit disappointing that the Regulan Hussars went down a little too quickly but it was a good way go get some signature FWL units under the FWL flag again. 

It was a little interesting to see Jessica Marik, who was depicted in Wars of the Republic Era as a more rational elder statesman type fly off the deep end after Phil Hughes falls off a cliff.  Starting wars against three different states over a hiking accident with no proof of foul play or even any idea who was responsible? That is nutty.  Even the resident crazies of the BTech universe make that seem sane by comparison.  Malvina at least has some kind of doctrinal explanation for her brutality and Daoshen is actually pretty rational in his paranoia about the Republic for a guy that thinks he's a god.

Since we really do not have a League POV or even very much about it . . . Jessica COULD have been maneuvering others so they had to oppose 'her will' for revenge- remember the appearances involved with Thad's deal and Juliet's injuries.  Jessica may never have planned for ANY war but in order to seem more like a normal person, had to be chomping at the bit for it . . . only to agree to the other 'reasoned' voice around her to tamp down her emotional response.
Colt Ward