Author Topic: (Answered) ECM Suites and Dropships  (Read 3127 times)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
(Answered) ECM Suites and Dropships
« on: 11 December 2017, 11:28:22 »
BT TechManual PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab

I'm confused by the information provided by the Guardian ECM Suite on p. 213 & p. 342.

On page 213 is the following information:

"Tech Base: Inner Sphere (Guardian ECM only) and Clan (Standard ECM suite only)

Unit Restrictions: None

Game Rules: Units with multiple ECM suites may use only one at a time in game play. Fighters, Small Craft and DropShips may only use ECM suites when interacting with ground units. While active, ECM suites are automatic, and are considered active even if the unit’s pilot/crew is rendered incapable of acting in combat, but will shut off if the carrying unit is shut down or destroyed.

Construction Rules: BattleMechs mounting stealth armor must include a Guardian ECM suite as well. Units may mount more than one ECM suite, but may not use more than one at a time during game play."

The Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons and Equipment Table (Cont) page 342 in the DS Space column for the Guardian ECM Suite is the entry of NA.

TM page 213 appears to allow DropShip's to mount a Guardian ECM Suite.

Looking at the Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons and Equipment Table (Cont) on page 342 in the Space column I'm not sure if a DropShip can mount a Guardian ECM Suite or that there is no space requirement.

Can a DropShip utilize a Guardian ECM Suite?

If a DropShip can use a Guardian ECM Suite does the NA mean that there are no space requirements?

If a DropShip can not use a Guardian ECM Suite should the reference be deleted from the rules on page 213?
« Last Edit: 25 November 2018, 01:00:43 by Xotl »
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) ECM Suites and Dropships
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2018, 01:00:37 »
This is actually just a wording issue.  The table's use of NA in this particular case means "don't worry about the slots it takes up, because it's not a weapon, and DropShips don't use slots on non-weapon items" rather than "you can't mount it; ignore the entry in Game Rules that says otherwise".
« Last Edit: 04 December 2018, 13:11:25 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
Re: (Research) ECM Suites and Dropships
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2018, 12:07:21 »
Hello again Xotl,

This is actually just a wording issue.  The table's use of NA means "don't worry about the slots it takes up, because it's not a weapon, and DropShips don't use slots on non-weapon items)" rather than "you can't mount it; ignore the entry in Game Rules that says otherwise".

Thank you again for the reply, but I do not feel based on information I recently stumbled on that "NA means "don't worry about the slots" the weapon/item "takes up, because it's not a weapon.

The Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons and Equipment Table CGL TM Hardcover 2007WizKind Inc and PDF 2007-2018 the P(rotoMech) Space Column entries are annotated NA. On CGL TM p. 10 ProtoMechs are "a strictly Clan invention" and on p. 341 Heavy Weapons and Equipment Key Space Entry Code has "NA = Item may not be mounted on these units".

On the Clan Heavy Weapons and Equipment Table CGL TM p. 343 the P Space column has a number of NA entries. For most of weapons and equipment with the NA annotation the weapon and/or ammunition exceeds the tonnage for any of the ProtoMechs.

Based on the information provided the annotation of NA indicates that the weapon or item cannot be mounted on the unit. Predominately, units that cannot mount a weapon or item appear to have the annotation of NA in the Space Column. Weapons and items that cannot be mounted on Standard or Aerospace units also have NA annotated in those columns.

My apologies for still being unsure of what the table annotation of NA means even with your clear and concise explanation.

Tom Rux
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Answered) ECM Suites and Dropships
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2018, 13:08:59 »
I'm aware that it's unclear / inconsistent: that's why I clarified the proper intent.  My initial answer remains.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2018, 13:15:21 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
Re: (Answered) ECM Suites and Dropships
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2018, 00:27:01 »
Hello Xotl,

I'm aware that it's unclear / inconsistent: that's why I clarified the proper intent.  My initial answer remains.

Thank you again for the clarification.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)