Author Topic: [Reader Discussion Area!!!] Forgotten Worlds - The (Semi-Official) Finale  (Read 26805 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Hello, folks!

I'm starting this discussion thread in the hopes of keeping my main story thread clean for the Forgotten Worlds Book 3 serial itself. Please enjoy the story as it unfolds there, but post your questions and comments in here.

Thank you,

- Herbert A. Beas II
« Last Edit: 14 April 2019, 15:30:02 by HABeas2 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Will do!  Thanks for the second thread, Herb...  Off to read the actual fiction vice the editorial note at the end of your first post over there...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Coolness! Thank you much for that, Daryk!

Everyone else: I'm apparently having problems making the links work between the two threads, though. They send me to a blank page asking for login info, so... I guess I'm just too rusty to figure out how this should all work now. So... Uh... Help?

Edit: THANKS, SARTIS! The link problem is now fixed between this thread and that thread.

- Herb
« Last Edit: 14 April 2019, 15:31:25 by HABeas2 »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Other Thread

[ url=https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65085.0]other thread[/url]

like this?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Aha! Thanks, Sartis! I see what the issue was. I used the [ ftp] tag, not [ url].

Dopey me.

- Herb

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Thanks for sharing this!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

snakespinner

• Captain
The Grand Vizier finishing off a great story.
Thanks Herb. :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Hail, folks!

The first chapter has been posted! At long last, Book 3 has properly begun!

Thanks to Daryk for his volunteer editing service, especially on a less than 6 hours notice!

And a preemptive thanks to all of you for enjoying it!

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
And thank you for the opportunity to help!   :thumbsup:

Frabby

• Major
Awesome!
I just hope CGL can declare this canon.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
While I don't know if it will be canonized--as it hasn't been authorized and paid for (thus making it legally the property of CGL), and...other issues--I have learned through twitches in the grapevine that the first two books will get re-released soon, as a favor to the readers.

No idea exactly when, mind you, but it should be soon. Likely before the next chapter goes up.

- Herb

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
being very happy and impressed  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
I love the deeper look into Apollyon's thought processes.  He's a very deep villain and unlike most he actually isn't evil... except for the whole Michelle thing in the League.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
The Michelle thing only came after Apollyon delivered a direct and very personal warning to her and her husband not to mess with them. After that, he gave an order to Namaah to make sure the lesson was as visceral as possible, while still leaving Titus and his son alive. It was horrific and evil, but ultimately, very surgical when you get down to it.

But, ultimately, Apollyon and his fellow Domini have accepted that their existence is monstrous, and that their ultimate purpose is a form of evil the rest of humanity would condemn. Their lot is much like The Operative from Serenity, in that they know the better world they are expected to carve a path for has no place for them. Unlike the Clans, they don't glorify the slaughter they know they'll be asked to commit. One might actually pity them, were it not for the horrors they basically dedicate themselves to as the Jihad unfolds. This was what we wanted to show every time you saw them on scene, at least whenever they weren't wiping people out wholesale.

- Herb

Frabby

• Major
Insightful statement.
Reminds me of the Empires Aflame setting information: It's nice to see what character attributes and traits (in a sociological, not role-playing sense) are intrinsic and which may stem from external influences and circumstances.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

mikecj

• Major
The Michelle thing only came after Apollyon delivered a direct and very personal warning to her and her husband not to mess with them. After that, he gave an order to Namaah to make sure the lesson was as visceral as possible, while still leaving Titus and his son alive. It was horrific and evil, but ultimately, very surgical when you get down to it.

But, ultimately, Apollyon and his fellow Domini have accepted that their existence is monstrous, and that their ultimate purpose is a form of evil the rest of humanity would condemn. Their lot is much like The Operative from Serenity, in that they know the better world they are expected to carve a path for has no place for them. Unlike the Clans, they don't glorify the slaughter they know they'll be asked to commit. One might actually pity them, were it not for the horrors they basically dedicate themselves to as the Jihad unfolds. This was what we wanted to show every time you saw them on scene, at least whenever they weren't wiping people out wholesale.

- Herb

And that's why I always wanted more screen time for Appy.  He's a villain I can love to hate while respecting him.  Thanks for sharing this story!  I saw the whole "Monsters fight for Blake's word" theme in a few other stories (like the defeat of the ComGuards in Normandy as seen by the WoB cadet) but the Appy stories always had depth.  (To be fair, so do the Berith stories) (My two favorite MD)

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
Oh this is a rabbit hole I'm not sure I'll emerge from any time soon, time for a dive through the pile of Jihad material again after this read. Love it!
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

DOC_Agren

• Major
Thank you for this 

And I have to say you given me a new look to Apollyon and his fellow Domini mindset
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
First two parts have been posted in General Discussion.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Very cool... thanks Roosterboy!  8)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Insightful statement.
Reminds me of the Empires Aflame setting information: It's nice to see what character attributes and traits (in a sociological, not role-playing sense) are intrinsic and which may stem from external influences and circumstances.

Well, I wrote Empires Aflame as well, so I suppose that makes some sense. Though I don't recall these characters appearing there, per se.

And that's why I always wanted more screen time for Appy.  He's a villain I can love to hate while respecting him.  Thanks for sharing this story!  I saw the whole "Monsters fight for Blake's word" theme in a few other stories (like the defeat of the ComGuards in Normandy as seen by the WoB cadet) but the Appy stories always had depth.  (To be fair, so do the Berith stories) (My two favorite MD)

This may well be because only a handful of our writers really got into the Manei Domini, and their deep details were mostly developed by myself, Ben Rome, Pat Wynne, Paul Sjardijn, and a couple other freelancers. When other writers delved into them, they focused more on the enemy perspective exclusively, and that was never going to show these guys as anything but psycho cyborg monstrosities. (Note: While the Jihad plan was laid out as far back as FASA, some details--including the very nature of the Manei Domini--simply were never addressed until about the time I served as ALD/LD.)

Oh this is a rabbit hole I'm not sure I'll emerge from any time soon, time for a dive through the pile of Jihad material again after this read. Love it!

Glad to hear that! Enjoy your dive!

Thank you for this 

And I have to say you given me a new look to Apollyon and his fellow Domini mindset

Yeah; always wished I could have released it all sooner, but there were higher priorities in those days.

First two parts have been posted in General Discussion.

Thanks, dude! I modified the first story post again to include a link to that thread, for extra measure.

- Herb

Easy

• Warrant Officer
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 14:25:10 by Easy »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Hello, all!

Just a note to say that Chapter 2 has now been posted. It exceeded the character length for a single post here, and thus I needed to break it into two segments. Sorry I was late this time; I clearly zoned out at some point last night and just forgot to do it.

Enjoy!

- Herb

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
Thank you!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
Its a great read so far.  Thanks for sharing it.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
Herb...by chance do you have this in PDF form already? If so...can you PM me a link?

Thank you
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
You're welcome, guys! Hope you continue to enjoy it!

Herb...by chance do you have this in PDF form already? If so...can you PM me a link?

Alas, no I don't Dragon. What you're seeing here is basically what might be the "final draft" documents for the story, with some volunteer editing support from Daryk (thanks again, Daryk!), but none of the final polish you'd have gotten outside a BattleCorps release.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
You're more than welcome Herb!  I'll be here as long as you need/want me... :)

Frabby

• Major
The forum has a "Print" button to reformat threads in a printer-friendly format. I've been using that combined with "Print to PDF" to generate archive PDFs of certain high-value threads.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
 ... and if you are using firefox, combining the forum's print view with the dotepub browser extension (which has to be installed manually using the standard firefox browser mechanisms) will yield very readable epub electronic books for viewing on an ebook reader.

Only thing are length issues: upwards of approx. thirty forum pages your mileage may vary and you are on your own using this toolset.

Register