Author Topic: `Mech of the Week: Savage Coyote  (Read 12744 times)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
`Mech of the Week: Savage Coyote
« on: 21 February 2014, 14:52:28 »

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=Savage+Coyote

In September 1997, we caught a glimpse into the collective Clans of the Kerensky Cluster.  Information trickled back to ComStar about units that had never been seen (or only rarel) before and those mysterious Clans mentioned in a few places were finally given some personality and life.  One of those Clans was Clan Coyote, who took the lion-share of the write-ups for the UrbanMech IIc, Guillotine IIc, and Canis BattleMechs.  None of them were optimized, and the argument could be made that the UrbanMech IIc and Canis were somewhat dreadful.  We had a look at ‘Mechs that the Coyotes had developed, and for me, I thought what a bunch of homeworld losers!  Sure I was fifteen, but still.  There were a few other, hotter, optimized rides to look into.

So fast-forward to December of 1998 and the release of Field Manuel Warden Clans.  Crusader Clans came first, giving us the heavy lasers, Hellion, Blood Kite, Hellfire, Gnome, and Salamander as well as a few units being released that made use of the new lasers.  Warden Clans followed with less units over all.  The Advanced Tactical Missile system, Savage Coyote, Undine, and Sylph were unveiled.  I will admit, as I had joined a fan game and gotten the Coyotes, I instantly started looking at the Savage Coyote.  There was the totem ‘Mech (figuratively, as yes, it shares no cosmetic imagery of it’s clan) of the Coyotes; their pride and joy.  And why did the ‘Mech come into existence in the mid to late 3050’s?  Why, to show off the new ATM system and restore pride and potency into the Coyote Touman of course!

Clocking in at eighty-five tons, the Savage Coyote crawls along at a brisk fifty four kilometers per hour.  Using an extra-large engine to save mass and fixing fourteen double heat sinks, the Savage Coyote devotes over half it’s mass to armament.  By not using endo-steel or ferro-fibrous armor, the designers opened up the chassis for weapons and equipment.  Good thing too, as those fixed heat sinks suck up space in the side torsos and legs.  Fifteen tons of armor do an adequate job of protecting the ‘Mech, but even the center torso, the largest amount of armor found on the ‘mech, can only take two Gauss or Clan PPC hits before an IS medium laser will go internal.  Jump jets were not included on the base chassis, but as we’ll see, that hasn’t stopped their use. 

As a final background note, TRO 3067 has the Savage Coyote in full production in every single Coyote production facility save one, which is pumping out Rabid Coyotes and Canis’.  This output has spread the Savage Coyote throughout the Touman and allowed other clans to salvage and trial for it for their own units.  The Adders and Cobras have the highest numbers, with Savage Coyotes being roll-able  on the 12 column in their RATS in Field Manual  Updates.  After the Jihad and Wars of Reaving, the Savage Coyote is spread around the homeworlds while the Horses and Wolves have enough in the Inner Sphere to get them on their 20 row, reserving them for the elite of the elite or something!

Prime
The primary configuration of the Savage Coyote starts off with an ERPPC, LB-10X with two tons of ammo, and twin ATM-12 launchers stocked with six tons of ammunition.  Back up lasers are in the form of three ER Medium Lasers and two ER Small lasers.  Three extra heat sinks help to establish a decent bracket fire.  You can run and fire the four primary weapons for a heat build up of one, while dropping the PPC at close range can add in the ERML’s on top of the missiles and cannon.  If you have never experienced the horror (or joy) of connecting with two ATM-12 launchers set to HE mode, then you will probably think that this thing isn’t all that special.  It lives and dies by the big missile racks in my opinion.  Those and the PPC help to open holes that the LB-10X can exploit though the gun can also open up holes itself.  I’ve had fair luck with this configuration though its BV’s a little pricey in my gaming circle.  I prefer to mix my ammo up with three tons HE, two tons ER, and one tone Standard for the ATMs.  Usage is simple:  start moving forward softening your opponent up.  Like any ATM launcher, you shine up close and personal and the Prime will tend to finish off opponents there if it can help it.  You can hang back, but I feel I’d rather have LRM-20’s for that than the ATM’s if I’m staying at longer ranges.  YMMV.

Alpha
This is described as a short range brawler, and I guess that works.  Maybe. This is one of my least used variants so I’m don’t have as much to say here.  It has a Gauss with two tons of ammo, an ERLL, three ATM-6’s with six tons of ammo, three medium pulse lasers, and an anti-missile system with one ton of ammo while being the first variant to jump the full ninety meters.  I want to like this guy with a Gauss and everything, but I feel it traded too much to get the jump jets.  The medium pulse lasers are nice in close, but you are doing less damage at all ranges compared to the Prime.  If the added mobility is up your alley, go for it.  Two hundred more BV for this guy though so you pay a bit more to bounce around a little.

Bravo
This is the configuration I have the most experience with.  I have used it in more games than I care to count.  Back in the late nineties when I first got ahold of Warden Clans, this was a variant that I scoffed at.  1880’s BV, six small pulse lasers, a UAC-5, and four ATM-3’s?  Seriously?  What a waste.  I figured it was the blow-off configuration to showcase the ATM-3.  Then I had an event where BV was at a premium, so I took it.  Went against a Turkina B with the TC and energy weapons and 6/7 pilot while I had a comfortable 3/4 or something.  I won.  The opponent threw his miniature in his bag and stormed out.  This oddball bracket fire ‘mech bested the mighty Turkina.  I took notice and started running it more.  The long range punch comes in the form of twin ERLL’s, a LPL, 4xATM-3’s, and a UAC-5.  The ‘Mech has six extra heatsinks, but they can’t hope to keep up with the heat generated from those weapons.   If you like to live large and fast, you can turn the UAC on full dakka dakka and unload with those for a few turns and then drop stuff to cool off, but I don’t recommend it.  I DO usually use the double mode while at range and lay off a few ATM launchers to balance the head out and once closing, I’ll shut the cannon down.  To round out the design, you have six (yes, six!) small pulse lasers to murder any infantry that comes into contact or act as a super accurate SRM-6 on ‘roids.  Seriously, I’ve killed more enemies by them storming into short range and eating an ERLL, LPL, 4xATM-3’s with HE rounds, and all six SPL’s.  They are just over strength SRM’s with a -2 to hit.  It’s murderous.  In BV2, it went up to 2284, but I’ll still take it as it's still very cheap for a Clan Assault BattleMech that can take care of itself.

Charlie
The Charlie debuted with the printing of 3067 and is one I have used maybe once.  It’s armed with twin ERLL’s, three ERML’s (an ERLL and ERML in each arm Timber Wolf style,) an ERPPC, and twin ATM-9’s supplied with five tons of ammo.  Oh, did I mention the targeting computer, jump jets, and ton of ammo in the head?  Yeah, this guy clocks in at 3189 on the BV2 chart and in the one time I used it, I wasn’t super impressed.  I’d say you hang back at medium or long range using the reach that almost all of the major weapons give you.  Unfortunately 20 double heat sinks will leave you at 11 on the dial if you didn’t move and fire all of the large weapons.  I found myself with a feeling of being under-gunned for the price I paid.  Maybe someone else has had a better time of it than me.

Juliett
When RS367 Unabridged was in development, the line developer allowed all of the volunteers to design units.  I was in the middle of an “away from BattleTech” moment and missed out.  When I came back, I lucked out and got in on round two.  With a call sign like Savage Coyote, well, you can guess what I choose to do.  I really wanted to give the model some movement it hadn’t seen before and with the idea of using new tech, I went with IJJ’s.  There are people who hate them, and that’s fine, but I felt this was a good place to use them.  The weight hadn’t yet jumped into silly levels and left me with enough to do something with it.  I took some of the elements of the B (the tri-large laser arrangement was moved to the left arm) while I also took a page from the play-book of the Prime and included an LB-10X to round out the heavy weapons.  I’d already decided this was a mid-range fighter and it would be in range generally for that gun.  Lastly, I added four small pulse lasers, two in each side torso, to give this Savage Coyote a little war-crimes opportunity and short-range punch.  Five extra heat sinks were tossed on and while I labored to try and fit ECM in there, I didn’t want to sacrifice any more of the small pulse lasers.  This would be, at least I thought, the first Savage Coyote without ATM’s.  I was wrong, as you’ll see when you read the Whiskey’s entry, but I thought I was on to something!  I had a mid-range BV super jumping assault that, at least in my mind, had enough firepower to be dangerous.  Using one?  6-12 hexes are where you want to be to keep everything in medium range.  You can jump and fire all the big weapons for one heat.  This configuration is one that has not had a lot posted about, which is fine.  I think the comment that stands out the most was jymset responding to the files I sent him and saying, “This thing is just WEIRD!”

Whiskey
It’s funny how minds can think alike.  Another CSO member had actually submitted the Whiskey during the first round of RS3067 Unabridged with the intent of being a Wolf variant and man, was it talked about when it was relased.  Take a Rifleman IIc and give it lots of steroids and you get the Savage Coyote W.  Quad LPL’s, two small pulse lasers, two flamers, an ERML, a light active probe, and a light TAG unit.  Drop in twenty double heatsinks and five improved jump jets and you have your self a bouncy ball of pulse laser doom.  About the only saving grace is there is no targeting computer to make it the ultimate munch.  You still have to deal with heat if you are moving so you can’t run around pumping out negative two to hit, forty damage for a whole game.  There are some breaks.  It’s also nice to know the Wolves (who get credit for both the J and W) are continuing the Coyotes traditions of war crimes.  Small pulse lasers and flamers are great fun on conventional infantry!

Zulu
The Coyotes and the Society were in bed together, and it makes sense that the Society would appropriate spare ‘Mechs from their host Clan.  The Savage Coyote Z starts off with a HAG-30 with two tons of ammo, an ERLPL, two iATM-12 launchers with four tons of ammo, two ERML’s, CASE II on the left torso, and the NOVA CEWS in the head.  This guy has problems when it comes to ammo dependence.  Like, a lot of problems!  You have eight turns with the HAG and ten with the iATM’s before it’s time to head back into the badlands and hide.  But during those turns, watch out!  iATM’s take what normal ATM’s do and just scrape the whole rolling on the cluster hit table.  Their damage is solid.  In combination with the NOVA, you will dropping 24-48 points of damage with out much issue, and if the enemy is foolish enough to get within nine hexes, you’ll unload for 72 from the launchers alone assuming you have a spotter.  Heat is a little problematic, as if you stand still, have the NOVA up and running, and fire all of the big guns you’ll be sitting on five heat.  That’s not terrible for one turn, or maybe even two, but after that you are going to have to drop the ERLPL.  I think I prefere the LPL over the ERLPL (who doesn’t?) but it’s there for the high-tech range advantage.  All and all, a solid deadly configuration for 8-10 turns of combat, but after that it’s an 85 ton paper weight.

Using One
Almost every Savage Coyote variant fits into the same mold.  You will generally either out range your opponent with your weapons or you will try to get to mid-range and stay there.  The Prime, B, C, W, and Z don’t mind 15+ hexes and can afford to camp out, while the A and J will probably want to get a little closer.  You have to watch your heat levels on all of the variants, but other than the C, there isn’t anything that’s just overwhelmingly outrageous.  With the B and if/when I get to use the Z, I tend to hang back and soften up dueling opponents or provide long-range cover fire for faster units.  If/when the enemy closes, I can then close and use my impressive short range firepower to finish them off.  Dueling other top-tier Assault Omni’s can be problematic, as they tend to also have a lot of firepower and a little more armor than you so you have to be careful.  Player ignorance can work in your favor even after almost sixteen years of existence.  I have won fights simply because the opponent didn’t know that closing with me was not the best move his Warhawk/Turkina/Dire Wolf could make in general.

Fighting Against One:
It’s a Clan Assault ‘Mech.  Treat it as such.  One of the bonuses of going against it is that the ‘Mech itself is offensively oriented and has slightly lower armor levels than Warhawk’s, Turkina’s, and Dire Wolves.  Add to that rear armor levels designed to counter one turn of back stabbing and you can punch through the front faster than the mentioned ‘Mechs.  I would probably not close with a Savage Coyote unless I’d softened it up and taking a few weapons out of play.  A few Turkina and Dire Wolf variants don’t mind as they have the same or more short range punch, but a lot of the variants will do better at range picking a Savage Coyote apart.

Final Thoughts
I feel the ‘Mech is competitive, but it mirrors it’s originator:  it’s underrated and while it can be dangerous, there are better options out there.  It is an uphill battle fighting against Dire Wolves, Warhawk’s and Turkina’s, but you can win.  You just need better luck, but then that’s true of all ‘Mechs right?

Funny enough, four of the seven variants mount jump jets of some kind, leaving only three of them ground bound.  And if you'd like to check out some of the Savage Coyote's on CSO, there's a link for that as well: http://camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=76
« Last Edit: 21 February 2014, 14:59:28 by Savage Coyote »

Rage

• Sergeant
Re: `Mech of the Week: Savage Coyote
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2014, 16:12:05 »
Ah, the Savage Coyote. Overall the thing's rather meh, honestly. Granted, there's really not much you can do with the 85-ton chassis, and the idea of a Dire Wolf's chassis in a Warhawk's weight class is interesting, but I've been spoiled as a Smoke Jaguar player by having immediate access to the originals, so yeah.

Still, none of the configurations ever really did much for me save for Prime, though I continue to despise the Bravo config, if only because whenever I faced you in a Clan game, you'd always have at least one that tended to burn me no matter what I tried. >:(

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2014, 17:12:29 »
On the Zulu, keep in mind that iATMs don't expend ammo on a miss when they're used as direct-fire weapons.  They also don't generate heat on a miss.  It makes the ammo load vaguely more palatable although I still wish they had gone for an ERLL and another ton of ammo for the HAG and the iATMs.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2014, 20:46:00 »
some of the weapons loads are interesting but can't say I'm a fan. a 3/5 on a 85 ton frame? 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2014, 21:28:40 »
some of the weapons loads are interesting but can't say I'm a fan. a 3/5 on a 85 ton frame?

To be fair, it's an 85 ton 3/5 Mech that fights like it has an extra 15 tons on it. ;) That spare tonnage saved on the engine became a whole truckload of pod space.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2014, 21:32:04 »
My biggest knock on the Big Yote is that it does not balance armor and speed well.

I agree the B is a value but I'd rather pay a little more for an Executioner, Warhawk, or Blood Asp.  Moving faster, more armor, and better configurations.

The W is dangerously close to a custom layout I built a while ago (it shares the LPLs, iJJs, and war crime backup theme).  The J as well is a much better armed config.  But what makes these shine is the iJJs.  The ability to jump 5 levels the playing field against other assaults. 

I like the Yote best in a star with a dire wolf or two.  My personal TO&E for the Adder 6th assault has a star with 2 Yotes, 2 Dire Wolves, and a Turkina.  They are work well.

I would love to see a take on the Big Yote in the post Reaving Homeworlds.  Maybe a new look at the Z that keeps the missile racks but supports them better (and drops the NOVA).

To the patient go the spoils

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2014, 21:51:01 »

Nothing wrong with 3/5 on an 85-ton frame. Sure it ends up rather slow compared to most other Clan designs, but it can punch well above its weight. Besides, the Coyotes are the Clan version of House Steiner. Slow beating sticks are kind of implied.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2014, 12:06:05 »
You can do a whole lot with a clan 3/5 85 ton mech.   The problem was the original canon configurations did not take advantage.  If you were using customs setups, then yeah you could rain death down.  I mean the thing has 45 tons of pod space.  But that's also the problem.  In the same era we get the Blood Asp that at 90 tons has more armor, more speed, the same number of integral heat sinks, and 3 less tons of pod space.  That 3 tons has to make up the difference and it just flat out doesn't on the early configurations.  I think the big issue is the ATMs.  I like them and love the improved versions, but they need a great deal of ammo and that extra 3 tons is sucked up supplying that.

Once we get the J and W plus whatever custom evil you can think up the picture is brighter.  3/5/5 with a whole lot of pod space left to spare is scary on an assault. 

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2014, 01:06:35 »
See, on the other side of the fence I've never been that impressed with the Blood Asp.  Sure, you bring the super awesome configurations, and I'll bring my Savage Coyote B and we can dance.  And I can upgrade a pilot or one of my other 'mechs can be bigger than yours.  I mean, for all the "extra" armor, the Asp only has an extra ton on the Savage Coyote (240 vs 256.)  It's just placed where it's needed, like the CT, Arms and Legs (except strangely, the Savage Coyote has 26 points to the Asp's 24 on the side torsos. Go figure.)  I think fighting with a Coyote vs an Asp is a winnable duel in my mind from the Savage Coyote pilots side and does come down to what variants are brought to the table (and what the balancing system is.)

Funny enough, my favorite paring with the Savage Coyote B is the equally cheap Blood Asp D.  Crank the UAC-2's and full auto and fire till they jam or you run out of ammo.  And I have run out of ammo before... several times*  :D

Moonsword, good point on the iATM's.  For some reason I assumed I was just launching all the time.  I would love to say I anticipated needing silly easy to hit numbers from the NOVA, but no, I didn't  :D

* I've also jammed all three cannons...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2014, 02:35:50 »
I think it comes down to what you are looking for . . . in BV balancing matches, especially vs the IS, the Savage Coyote has advantages over the larger assault mech because of the heat stacking . . . probably the speed too.

It goes right up there with the little brother Rabid Coyote, Stooping Hawk and Scylla for homeworld designs I will miss in the Inner Sphere.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2014, 11:12:19 »
I think it comes down to what you are looking for . . . in BV balancing matches, especially vs the IS, the Savage Coyote has advantages over the larger assault mech because of the heat stacking . . . probably the speed too.

It goes right up there with the little brother Rabid Coyote, Stooping Hawk and Scylla for homeworld designs I will miss in the Inner Sphere.

According to the MUL, the Bears have the Stooping Hawk in the Jihad era.  There might still be a couple kicking around come the Republic time frame...
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2014, 11:39:33 »
The Savage Coyote has become a favorite for tournament play around here.  If you do not know what your opponent is taking, the SC has a weapon for just about every situaton...

The big ATM racks do a great job controlling a space---no one with any sense will wander within 6 hexes of a Savage Prime.  Park it on a hill you want to dominate, and people have to deal with you  (while your starmates are engaging in some sneaky manuevers)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2014, 14:40:25 »
According to the MUL, the Bears have the Stooping Hawk in the Jihad era.  There might still be a couple kicking around come the Republic time frame...

It's not impossible.  It's happened before with machines that were largely extinct.  (That's what Not Available boils down to as far as the Inner Sphere is concerned in this case, by the way.)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2014, 14:51:49 »
Oh, I know the Bears, Ravens and even possibly the Falcons could have one . . . but just like the Crusader Wolves have Savage Coyotes, they are no longer in production and available in the IS new.  To be honest, the weirdest example is the Predator that ended up with the Republic until 3132 when the Steel Wolves formed, eventually/somehow got into their hands, and when Anastasia reformed them as the Wolf Hunters was taken to join mercs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2014, 09:56:07 »
The fun thing to imagine, is how all of these variants perform if the ATMs are switched for iATMs. Suddenly heat burdens are much less, the missiles become more powerful. I can see iATM versions of these and other mechs being what helps the Coyotes hold their ground with their smaller touman.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2014, 11:04:32 »
The fun thing to imagine, is how all of these variants perform if the ATMs are switched for iATMs. Suddenly heat burdens are much less, the missiles become more powerful. I can see iATM versions of these and other mechs being what helps the Coyotes hold their ground with their smaller touman.

It worked wonders cor the Turkina, for sure!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2014, 22:38:01 »
It's a design I've not used but always liked kinda always seen it as a walking brick wall of death the ATMs in the picture give it that feel
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2014, 22:41:48 »
The Z config just has problems. I don't really enjoy using it since it's heavily ammo dependent and the heat curve is just... balls. Standard LPL and downgrading to an iATM-9 seems to do wonders for this thing's longevity. The HAG really needs the additional shots since it gobbles up tons of BV.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2014, 10:28:07 »

Um this... YES!

The iATM makes all the original canon configs instantly really good.

As for @Savage Coyote's points, I doubt the guy with to forum handle Savage Coyote and the guy flying the biggest Star Adder banner he could find are ever going to agree on the Asp vs Yote argument.  The J and W layouts are monsters, and if the homeworlders upgrade the others to iATMs then I would have to say the Yote has better canon configurations, which makes it hard to say the Asp is better.

I just prefer 4/6/X from my assaults, granted 3/5/5 is just slightly second.  The last game of MM I played before my computer died for good had a Yote J and some Sprite protos bouncing around together doing pretty nasty stuff.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2014, 12:35:02 »
Oh, I know!  It's actually pretty funny, because 3/5/0 isn't really my normal style and I'm the camp of "Go FASTER!"  That said, having chosen the Coyotes long ago, I adapted and figure I know how to get around the speed limitations.  I've played the B, J,and Prime near exclusively and in that order as far as how many games I have under my belt with each.  And to be honest, I've been incredibly lucky when it comes to the B  :D

Anyway, swapping out ATM's for iATM's would really turn passable configurations into monsters; when you guarantee that the main armament of the Prime and A are connecting with everything on hits, it really swings things to their favor.  And thats before you factor in some of the useful ammo that comes with the "new" launchers.  BA tends to run and hide when a larger iATM launcher can chuck Inferno's at them.  >:D

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2014, 22:10:05 »
Anyway, swapping out ATM's for iATM's would really turn passable configurations into monsters; when you guarantee that the main armament of the Prime and A are connecting with everything on hits, it really swings things to their favor.  And thats before you factor in some of the useful ammo that comes with the "new" launchers.  BA tends to run and hide when a larger iATM launcher can chuck Inferno's at them.  >:D

That and the fact that the heat problems disappear.  I would still favor the Dire Wolf in general, but it is very hard to argue with those iATM configurations.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2014, 22:16:55 »
It's hard to argue with iATMs period.  They are terrifying.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2018, 07:34:03 »
So it's been a few years, but recently I commissioned Matt Plog to create a Savage Coyote J and I thought I'd share.  I might raise some funds to get all of the variants done, but that will take awhile! :)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2018, 07:37:43 »
Ahh so that was you eh? Its an amazing re-do of the Savage 'yote for sure :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2018, 11:00:58 »
That's one pretty decent image. Nice work. Sleek lines, simple, conveys it's purpose.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2018, 11:55:03 »
That's some fine art there.

Rereading this article, I want to get my SC out and kill some things with it now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #26 on: 03 April 2020, 11:17:30 »
So I had the talented Matt Plog draw up my favorite variant, the Savage Coyote B! Figured I’d add it to this ‘Mech of the Month article!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #27 on: 03 April 2020, 11:27:07 »
Saw that last night.

Very excellent work, not that he does anything less.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 03 April 2020, 14:31:32 »
Wow, that sexy beast.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki