Author Topic: Character Study of the Week: Cassie Suthorn  (Read 8413 times)

Grey

• Warrant Officer
Character Study of the Week: Cassie Suthorn
« on: 14 November 2015, 11:29:29 »
Character Study of the Week: Cassie Suthorn
Who: Cassiopeia “Cassie” Suthorn
   Aka Abtakha
What: Criminal
   Member, Glorious Redemption Detachment 325
   Assorted ranks, Camacho’s Caballeros, Infantry Forces
When: 3031 - ?? ?? ??
Weapon of Choice: Herself

This week’s subject is a request by ScrewySqrl, who took particular interest in Cassie because, as ScrewySqrl described her, she is a 90’s comic book character, a 90’s anti-hero really, and in a military sci-fi setting that is something worth looking into.

Cassie’s background is as extensive as her novelised history, so much so, and because of the content (I’ll get to why shortly) I’ll just say that Sarna.com has a fairly thorough history available rather than trying to go through it fully, that isn’t the point of this article.

In brief she has a happy childhood that quickly becomes tragic, hops the express train to brutal then does a pirouette and dive into adventurous and grim when she does amazing things with a broomstick and impresses the people she was using said broomstick on.

Sorry if that is facetious, but the tone of the Caballeros stories is one of just so much darkness and emotional pain that a little levity is the only response. This is something else I’ll address.

Tragic backstory, outsider within her own unit, mad skills, unique for said skills and a few other attributes that help serve to make her interesting, nigh unstoppable, grim, gritty, doesn’t play well with others and yet has this amazing ability to bond or connect with the young and vulnerable in dire situations and finds a home with a gritty band of fellow outcasts.

Yes, Cassie is a 90’s anti-hero.

No need for deep, in depth analysis to come to this conclusion, 90’s anti-heroes were the result of the troubled, disturbed characters from Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns being given the action hero treatment and have fairly clearly defined traits.

Does she try to be more though?

Yes, however Cassie tries to be more within the confines of a setting that’s somewhat grim and fantastical anyway, and so still largely winds up following the same thread, so her success in trying to be more is somewhat dubious.

She gets close to people, makes friends, and they are horribly killed. She finds a home but it is routinely injured if not fully maimed, a condition from which she and her surrogate family fights back from.

It fits the setting, war shows no favourites and grants few favours, however these are still familiar arcs to a 90’s anti-hero

It’s not helped by the fact that she is a part of an oddball unit where everyone has a nickname or quirk or a grim history or something that makes them unique and can be used in a few sentences to differentiate them from the crowd.

Which isn’t bad in and of itself, true it makes the setting even more like that of a comic book hero convention, but it is possible to spend only a few words on a character and make a connection with the reader so that they will care about what happens to that seemingly minor character, ramping up emotional torque if said character is abused horribly and killed, also horribly.

And that happens in Cassie’s stories. A lot.

There’s the trouble, it also creates a crowded environment where, if given too many characters to care about they blur together and there is an emotional overload in the reader.

It should be addressed though that Cassie tries to be a main character in the Battletech setting without being a MechWarrior, something that is unique and while extreme uniqueness is a 90’s anti-hero state it’s also a common literary state. After all, a main character that blends in and isn’t much of something special isn’t much of a main character.

It’s the way she does things that makes her a 90’s anti-hero. Taking out a Wolverine with a broomstick (read into that what you will, X-Men fans), rallying rabble, being the most important person in a mission for being who she is, and phenomenal at what she does.

Does this make her a bad character?

No, mainly because bad characters either fail to function as they should or somehow do not fit the setting. Besides which, as far as I’m concerned there is a place for pretty much every kind of character as long as they are used well, which could mean anything from being used to type to being used against type. Neither is bad as long as it yields an interesting, engaging story.

And the Caballeros stories in which Cassie features are not bad stories in and of themselves, if anything they try to explore the Battletech setting from a different perspective. Specifically from a mercenary unit that doesn’t have all the right connections, doesn’t have all the maddest, leet skills, and doesn’t have a horseshoe made out of rabbit feet secreted in the unit insignia.

It does have an ensemble of weird and interesting members, most of whom are archetypes of some sort, and it really does add to the 90’s comic book character aspect of Cassie because it’s her archetype and the means by which she stands out.

In all fairness keep in mind that to date the core fiction, which by extension characterises the setting in general, has largely been written by Michael Stackpole and is unapologetically pulp sci-fi. I’ve said many times before that the setting has tried to move on and evolve into more of a pulp military setting, however at the time Victor Milan was writing Stackpole’s novels were the metre stick by which other stories would have to measure themselves against.

And let’s face it, love them or loathe them, the core novels come across as a little fluffy.

What happens to Cassie is completely in the other direction.

That alone does not make for an improvement, however it is still a perspective worth exploring. In this way Cassie does enrich the Battletech Universe, proving it is far too large for a simple, single theme.

You’ll notice that much of this article focuses more on the unit and novels than on the character herself. Part of this is because she is a successful, thorough application of the archetype of a 90’s anti-hero, there just isn’t that much to explore outside of that, and the archetype has been explored in many other articles on the internet.

I’m trying to address her presence, even as an archetype within the Battletech setting. Successful application of an archetype depends on a number of things, and it always relates to the setting and other characters.

So looking more closely at her environment does Cassie, and by extension Camacho’s Caballeros belong in Battletech?

Yes, simply because over the top units like Wolf’s Dragoons and the Kell Hounds, even under the bottom ones like Wilson’s Hussars or even Bad Dream or The Green Machine, exist.

Like these units the Caballeros and Cassie were products of a time when Battletech tended to be more sci-fi and thus a bit more fantastic in who and what populated the setting, the Caballeros were just a different kind of fantastic from the rest.

Rather than being wildly unstoppable or utterly downtrodden they are eclectic, eccentric and even a little bit strange. They go through ups and downs, highs and lows. It’s just a little disappointing that they don’t do so in an original manner.

For instance; does it all have to be so grim?

Well, 90’s anti-hero, so yes.

And as stated earlier this gets to be a bit grinding, at least for me, presumably for other readers, surely as much as the fluffiness of most of the core novels at the time must have grated others still, because the single emotional state can be overbearing. There is a reason comic relief exists, more importantly no single mood is sustainable for an extended period of time.

But within this motif of a grim, gritty, uncomfortable, thoroughly 90’s anti-hero friendly setting Cassie is very successful at being what she is, the value of the character is, as always, very much up to the reader.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
Re: Character Study of the Week: Cassie Suthorn
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2015, 19:10:26 »
I like the stories, myself.  They are a fun read.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2015, 19:37:01 »
Other than taking down a Battlemech with a broomstick (we have seen wacker things in BT) Cassie Suthorn is a solid character. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2015, 20:03:39 »
I like the stories, myself.  They are a fun read.

And that right there I have to admit is what the fiction should be all about. It's not that science fiction can't be serious or weighty, but all fiction first and foremost needs to aim to entertain, messages, themes, ideas, images, these are things layered into the entertainment to make for weighty reads.

But ultimately if it fails to entertain, if readers aren't enjoying themselves, then the piece of fiction in question has failed.

I just found I couldn't separate Cassie from a particular form of character.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2015, 20:42:57 »
to provide a bit of historical background to the character..

Cassie was born in the Draconis Combine, but when she was still an infant her family moved "with refugees" to the capellan Confederation. [1] to Larsha, where at first her family was apparently decently off.. home in the suburbs, dad an infantry officer in the militia. there are hints at a bit of discord in the family over the refugee thing and money but nothing extreme.

then Pirates hit the world and her father is killed, her home (accidentally) destroyed by a pirate Atlas. she and her mother end up living in a shantytown slum, her mother apparently turning to prostitution to get money to survive. [2] Cassie runs away when she reaches puberty, and is effectively adopted by a martial artist/teacher of pentjak silat, who uses teaching her the martial art as a way to try and civilize her a bit. she basically is a street urchin/petty crook though, basically homeless and surviving in the shady underworld of the world's capitol city. by the time she had become 16-17ish she had been caught by the police, and rather than stuck in prison, assigned to a penal unit of infantry in the worlds militia. (basically given bare bones infantry training so they can be warm bodies for a meatgrinder)

this is where she ends up joining the cabellero's.. her squad gets deployed when the mercs hit the world on a raid, and with her squad leader AWOL she ends up alone and taking on a Wolverine alone, with just a bolt action rifle and a cut power line. messes up the knee, makes it fall. then she gets captured.

we have stories and novels to cover most of the rest.. after convisinging the unit she's trustworthy, she ends up one of their scouts, and her hatred of mechs and mechjocks means she comes up with a lot of creative ways to hurt or kill mechs.

after Uncle Chandy hire the unit, she ends up in the combine, where her knowledge of the culture and her knowledge of how things work in a city make her invaluable.. and her flexibility and reputation gets her into a lot of operations that fall outside the normal recon work, and up against mechs and special operations types.

its true she tends to fall into the more "action movie" end of the battletech spectrum, what with dramatic gunfights, bringing down or hijacking mechs with little more than small arms, even taking on DEST and winning.. but when these happen the author does seem to avoid going too over the top. even in bringing down the mechs the methods she uses are plausible, just stupidly risky to the point no one sane would try it. of course she's not exactly sane. (and its notable that the most egregious example, with the battlemaster, we see happen in a slightly different form in a few other books.. where the tactic works too, its just insane and ultra dangerous..)

personally i'm curious about near the end of her career.. apparently the Caballero's get to liberate their homeworlds during the Jihad, and one of her kids goes on to have a big role in the resulting nation. honestly it sounds like an interesting story.

[1] why they had to leave was never said. just hints at some sort of disgrace, since her father says "the status i lost for us", suggesting that back in the combine he or that group of cultural refugees were even better off than the suburban middle class we see, but they lost it some how.

[2] which is a very sad but remarkable look at some of the underclass of the Capcon. and what her mother was doing seems to be less being a hooker, and more like taking a couple officers/soldiers as lovers.. so more like being a concubine to get by on handouts.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2015, 20:51:32 »
Cassie Suthorn is still alive at least of the Jihad, isn't she?

The Cabelleros would have been naturals for Uncle Chandy's forces.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2015, 21:29:30 »

Think the Cabelleros ended up back in the FWL to defend the Trinity worlds.

We do see Cassie Suthorn's grandson in Flight of the Falcon

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2015, 21:52:56 »
We do see Cassie Suthorn's grandson in Flight of the Falcon

Great-grandson.

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2015, 21:59:13 »

Her Daughter also ends up Marrying Gavilan's son and after his death, took over the Caballeros by 3145, so there's that.

No mention who she gets hitched with (if any, she doesn't strike me as the type to tie the knot AT ALL anyway),  or how many offspring is around. All we know so far is one daughter and one grandson.

That said, Cassie's feats is partly believeable BECAUSE they're INSANE. As mentioned, no sane person would do what she does unless truly desperate, but Cassie's not exactly what you'd call "sane" to begin with. :D

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2015, 22:07:42 »
Ahh, sanity!! Nope, sometimes not necessary on the battlefield!!
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2015, 22:51:45 »
The Whole unit is insane, not just her.  Cassie Suthorn is on level of bad ass, but still human.   She goes through alot of emotional trauma in Close Quarters.  As does her best friend in Hearts of Chaos, where she and unit has fight guerrilla war against rogue 15th Dieron Regulars and bunch of Yahuza troops. WHile her friend was beaten and worse by the governor.
Having Franklin Sakamoto, brought back and reunited with his father was pretty neat, it wasn't just Cassie alone who made it possible.  She was portrayed more as human than not by the end of trilogy

Cassie adventures were interesting, I enjoyed when Victor Milan gave use one more story with Cassie, in her early days with unit featured in 25 Years of Art and Fiction book.

Cassie's daughter Anjelah assumed command in 3105, she must be silver haired by time 3145 came around.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2015, 03:07:53 »
Whatever else you want to say, many folks found Milan's books fun. There were plenty of homages to asian action cinema and a lot of the over the top violence, exploitation, and misery, coupled with twisted humor read like something out of a men's adventure novel. It wasn't for everyone, but I personally found it awesome.

The mishmash of cultures and crazy personalities was entertaining, and it also gave us a very good street level view of the Combine that added a dash of neon-drenched late 80's/Early 90's "rise and fall of Japan, Inc." flavor to the bushido and WWII militarism we'd seen from the Dragon so far. It read a lot like Karl Taro Greenfield's Speed Tribes in places (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Tribes). This makes a lot of sense, given that Milan also wrote Japan-influenced cyberpunk stories.

Black Dragon is dear to my heart, since it came out during the apex of a long running DEST campaign I was running in MW 2nd Edition, and I ran them right through the ISF Civil War detailed therein. I ended up having over a dozen long term players agonize as their characters were forced to choose between the hard liners and Theodore-loyalists....and then dive into the violence with gusto and turn on each other as Kiguri made his play.

The final scene of the campaign was the loyalist PC's, victorious over their former friends and comrades, assaulting the rear guard of Kiguri's traitors as they swarmed over Theodore's review stand....and then watching that final duel between Ninyu and Kiguri unfold like something out of a 70's chanbara flick. Then they all either collapsed and died from battle wounds or sank to their knees contemplating the futility of life and the struggle between duty and honor.

Thanks to Victor and Cassie, I had one of the best GM'ing experiences of my life.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2015, 03:55:30 »
I did try to figure out Cassie's descendants. Her daughter functions more as an extension of Cassie, basically showing that she has a legacy and continued to lead a life even if we haven't (yet) seen it.

This is not a strike against the daughter, simply a matter of function since there's only a few lines about the woman in one book to date.

The great grandson is more like Cassie in that he's something of an oddity. He's just as strange as any of the Caballeros and seems to weave together traits that fit The Dancing Joker, The Bounty Hunter, Cassie, James Bond, Ethan Hunt and a host of others.

At the same time he is his own character, one that fits in with the slightly more cartoony setting of that particular Dark Age novel.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2015, 07:04:36 »
Victor Milan's cyberpunk-inspired writing remains for me one of the high water marks of BT fiction. Speaking as an Asian its nice to see a more nuanced portrayal of the Draconis Combine.

Cassie's broom and powerline takedown isn't the most unbelievable of her feats to me. She rolled boxcars on her leg attack, pilot fumbled a PSR, but the Wolverine was about to toast her in the end. Her stealth takedown of a DEST, on the other hand...

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2015, 09:46:19 »
I always found Cassie to be a distraction in otherwise good stories.  The Cabelleros had some really interesting themes in them, from the multicultural posse and the choices of particular cultures, to the examination of machismo in a unit that will be led by women.  The plotting in the DC, Uncle Chandy, all good stuff.  Cassie on the other hand, just got in the way.

I think it is also worth pointing out that Cassie Suthorn is not the lone example of single infantry mech takedowns.  Yes, there was her great-grandson, who also hijacked and piloted a Clan mech.  There was also Kappa.  I'm sure there are others, they just don't spring to mind.  The Broomstick and electrical wire tricks might seem goofy, but over the years i've tempered my dislike by bearing in mind that Battletech is a setting where the absurd is always just around the corner.  Why should Cassie's antics be any more worthy of scorn than cartwheeling battlemechs or glacier based battlemech shackles?

The Wolverine with a broomstick explanation is a fun one i'm willing to back.  Oh, 90's anti-heros.  Trying so hard to be edgy and awesome at the same time.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2015, 13:15:08 »
While I liked Cassie for the action film stuff it was fun the relentless attempting by the books to make you feel emotion of yet more characters dyeing was to much with so many I found one lost all feeling at all as it was so common

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2015, 15:20:08 »
I found Milan's book rather good, if very dark. But I guess that is more realistic for most people involved in the BT setting that have to do with war and conflict. Those high-rankers are completely at the top that are most of the time portrayed.

The "real" stuff should be more like in his books. Or totally lame stories about a civilian raising kids and go to work. :D But that would be of small interest to most readers of BT novels. (Even if I would love a novel about a detective or some kind on some planet NOT under attack by a regiment of BattleMechs)
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2015, 21:11:54 »
One of the Dark Age novels did that, can't remember the title, but it wasn't a bad read, and it did feel it fitted in with the universe, it just didn't really grip me, but that's a matter of personal opinion.

Some of the better Battlecorps stories over the years have centred on fairly ordinary schlubs trying to survive in different eras of high tech, feudal warfare.

Cassie isn't one of those characters, which makes the fact that she had and raised at least one child somewhat interesting. It would almost be worth seeing a quiet domestic drama novel just to see how she would have done it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2015, 21:44:54 »
One thing that I've yet to see stated outright is that a central theme in the books is the power of family.

From Cassie's adoption into the extended family of the Caballeros, to Uncle Chandy keeping the pose of a dissolute Kuritan son while remaining loyal to what a Kuritan should be, everything circles the idea that family is more than just blood.

He isn't subtle about it (calling the group la familia is about as subtle as orbital bombardment), but that's not always a bad thing. 

IMHO, that's why the tragedy in the books work better than, say, in Stackpole's books, because we have that personal connection. We can imagine it, or something like it, happening to us. Victor Steiner-Davion not being able to fight off the Clans and taken off Trellwan while his unit sacrificed itself to save him? Boohoo, it's so HARD to be a Prince and too important to die bravely. Cassie's sense of failure, rational or not, in not protecting her family? THAT'S something we can relate to, even if we've never experienced it. We've all got families, but 99.9999% of us don't have kingdoms.

Science fiction has to walk a fine line between being about people or ideas. Victor Milan's books do that quite well, I think, because it's about the people of Cassie Suthorn's family, and the idea of how an interstellar kingdom based around Japanese culture looks from the inside. It's not great scifi, but it's good scifi.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Stackpole's stuff, but it's low art, pulp fiction. Victor Milan's stuff aspires to a higher level, even if it doesn't quiiiiiiiite reach it.

(Low art is something that entertains, high art is something that entertains and makes you think, and snob art is something written to try and make you think but only bores the piss out of you.)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2015, 05:34:27 »
Cassie has always been one of my fave characters in the BTU. Sure she's a 'Mary Sue', but she comes with a lot of baggage and she never survives a battle unscathed. She gets much love from this BT Fanatic
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2015, 07:44:02 »
Cassie has always been one of my fave characters in the BTU. Sure she's a 'Mary Sue', but she comes with a lot of baggage and she never survives a battle unscathed. She gets much love from this BT Fanatic

IDK about the "Mary Sue" part considering most of those tend to be too-good-for-this-world-morally-correct type of goodie two-shoes.

Cassie is clearly a partly insane psychopath. :D

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2015, 11:47:59 »
Honestly, the "wolverine with a broomstick" doesn't even make me blink.

One man vs Mech has a long tradition in BT going all the way back to, at least, Grayson Carlyle facing down Lori Kalmar's LCT-1V with a single SRM launcher.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2015, 14:16:55 »
Honestly, the "wolverine with a broomstick" doesn't even make me blink.

One man vs Mech has a long tradition in BT going all the way back to, at least, Grayson Carlyle facing down Lori Kalmar's LCT-1V with a single SRM launcher.

Think that's the reason for the scene; Grayson with a SRM launcher, DC troopers using paint grenades in Shrapnel, it takes allot for a PBI to be a name character. 

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2015, 14:18:45 »
Most of the time the infantry are attacking the mechwarrior.  Cassie, not so much. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2015, 15:09:30 »
Most of the time the infantry are attacking the mechwarrior.  Cassie, not so much.
It might be part of her childhood phobia/PTSD; she only sees the killing machine because thats what scares her, not the person piloting it. 
« Last Edit: 19 November 2015, 19:58:06 by SteelRaven »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2015, 17:44:44 »
i still find the bits in Double Blind with the Bedouin of Astrokazy capturing mechs with nothing more than grappling hooks and daggers to be crazier than what Cassie does. Cassie at least is using a mechs weaknesses against it. those Bedouin were just throwing unarmed men at the mech in a bid to capture it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2015, 21:16:58 »
It might be part of her childhood phobia/PTSD; she only sees the killing machine because thats what scares her, not the person piloting it.
Actually it is.  That Atlas that raided Liao world her family settled, killing her father, making her mom and her homeless, frightened her to the core.  Many a decade later, her soon to be best friend Kali MacDougall's original mech was a Atlas.  Cassie couldn't even approach her as friend until they went through tough times. 
« Last Edit: 19 November 2015, 21:18:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2015, 21:53:41 »
i still find the bits in Double Blind with the Bedouin of Astrokazy capturing mechs with nothing more than grappling hooks and daggers to be crazier than what Cassie does. Cassie at least is using a mechs weaknesses against it. those Bedouin were just throwing unarmed men at the mech in a bid to capture it.
I can only guess Coleman was re-watching the Return of the Jedi's battle of Endor while writing that part. A good reminder why you should always lock the hatch of your battlemech once inside.   

Register