Author Topic: Self-guided bullet prototype can hit target a mile away  (Read 12290 times)

Taurevanime

• Captain
Re: Self-guided bullet prototype can hit target a mile away
« Reply #30 on: 01 February 2012, 07:28:43 »
As a hands off weapons system this has some merit, certainly cheaper then chucking a Javelin at someone.  As an individual handheld weapon this is the height of idiocy.  A soldier would have to get a basic aim, fire, recover from the recoil, reacquire target and hold the laser on target throughout the projectile flight time, which could easily be more then 2 seconds.  Not going to happen.  Even 1 MOA of muzzle movement (only a fraction of an inch) would throw the laser off 20 inches at 2000 meters.  And the whole time the shooter is maintaining that laser track the enemy can fire back.  Idiocy.
The shooter would no also do the lazing. Someone else would do that while another person took the shot. Even snipers today with unguided bullets have spotters because with the recoil they can't quickly get the target back in view of their sights and see how the shot actually fell.

see, my thinking regarding a PGM rifle terms of actual effect is it's rather limited. (ignoring my other objections entirely)

If I have a laser operator (generic term) lighting up targets - I'm going to use something like the Austrian M6C-210 60mm manpack mortar with guided rounds, not a single shot rifle.

Why?

the M6C weighs about 5.5kgs + ammo
It has an effective range of 1600m
it provides a small unit with indirect fire at range
With guided rounds it has a theoretical 1m CEP (seeing as 60mm guided rounds don't yet exist)
Training required to operate is minimal.

Versus say a M107 doing the same thing for my small unit:

M107 weighs about 13kg + ammo
It has an effective range of 1800m
It has a 3 MOA accuracy. (irrelevant with guided rounds)
I really do not see why you would use a bullet like this in a normal section or squad. But for a sniper team it would greatly help in extending their effective range. And the spotters already use high powered optics and laser rangefinders. So why not combine the laser painter into the same package?

The British Army used to use 51mm mortars in just the role you mentioned. They were to be phased out in favour of 40mm underbarrel grenade launchers. But the war in Afghanistan broke out before that was finished. And commanders and soldiers were finding that the 40mm UGL didn't compare in capability to the mortar. So they now adopted the 60mm mortar you speak of in an Urgent Operational Requirement.

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2012, 07:42:57 »
I am also a police/S.W.A.T. Officer and Army combat veteran. To a sniper, whether police or military, I believe this is simply insurance for a no fail shot. Even for a pro, shots over a mile will separate the men from the boys. Without significant refinement, I do not believe this ammuntion is ready for widespread deployment to rank-and-file police officers or military personnel for use against multiple targets or in a general warfare scenario. As to the ethics of the ammuntion, the ROE for both police and military operators vary significantly...meaning, I never lost any sleep for the numerous weapon-toting individuals, or those in their company, who I ordered engaged in the middle of the night during my time in theater. Conversely, I never fired my weapon once on duty as a police officer for more than ten years. If I had and hit an unintended target in a police capacity, then that would be a completely different circumstance. My two cents... 

IvanR

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 01 February 2012, 09:29:15 »
I am also a police/S.W.A.T. Officer and Army combat veteran. To a sniper, whether police or military, I believe this is simply insurance for a no fail shot.

If that's what it stays as, then fair enough - but you and I both know that technology is allowing commanders (be they mil or LEO) to start micromanaging things more and more. Adding the ability for superiors to be able to designate targets on the fly is not a welcome thing in my opinion.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2012, 09:36:51 »
As a hands off weapons system this has some merit, certainly cheaper then chucking a Javelin at someone.  As an individual handheld weapon this is the height of idiocy.  A soldier would have to get a basic aim, fire, recover from the recoil, reacquire target and hold the laser on target throughout the projectile flight time, which could easily be more then 2 seconds.  Not going to happen.  Even 1 MOA of muzzle movement (only a fraction of an inch) would throw the laser off 20 inches at 2000 meters.  And the whole time the shooter is maintaining that laser track the enemy can fire back.  Idiocy.

Sparrow Missiles, TOW's, other weapons work on the same principle.  They've worked pretty well.  It's obvious this is intended for longer range engagements.  If your using it to try and clear a room in CCQ you've got bigger problems....

Davout
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #34 on: 01 February 2012, 15:33:31 »

Who says the laser has to be attached to the gun? The head is very mobile part of the body. Even with recoil it wouldn't be hard to maintain a level head.

But, in the future, taking the TAG concept, being able to recognize and identify targets some people have proposed up thread, I could imagine a small portable laser tag stand that a sniper could set up from his position before taking aim. Set the thing to look for humanoid targets or certain heat profiles, etc, and go.

« Last Edit: 01 February 2012, 15:46:04 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 02 February 2012, 01:33:39 »
Sparrow Missiles, TOW's, other weapons work on the same principle.  They've worked pretty well.  It's obvious this is intended for longer range engagements.  If your using it to try and clear a room in CCQ you've got bigger problems....
Those are crew served or vehicle launched weapons.  Cannot compare to a handheld weapon.

Who says the laser has to be attached to the gun? The head is very mobile part of the body. Even with recoil it wouldn't be hard to maintain a level head.

The size of optics and laser needed for 2000m+ engagement kind of negates a hands helmet mount... and you would be surprised how much your head moves during 2 seconds, that fraction of an inch can equal yards at 2000m.

But, in the future, taking the TAG concept, being able to recognize and identify targets some people have proposed up thread, I could imagine a small portable laser tag stand that a sniper could set up from his position before taking aim. Set the thing to look for humanoid targets or certain heat profiles, etc, and go.
Humanoid shape or heat profile is a pretty vague rules of engagement.  If you could field that technology to work at those engagement ranges (nothing close currently exists) then a shooter becomes completely redundant and an autonomous or remote weapons system is what you have rather then a man-portable individual weapon.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 02 February 2012, 06:50:26 »
The size of optics and laser needed for 2000m+ engagement kind of negates a hands helmet mount
Demonstrate.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 02 February 2012, 10:25:10 »
Those are crew served or vehicle launched weapons.  Cannot compare to a handheld weapon.

A Sparrow requires a trigger to be pulled, and the target to be detected by radar in order for the missile follow the reflected energy.  When the target moves, the missile follows it, but the radar that fired it still has to be pointing towards the target.
A TOW requires a trigger to be pulled, and the target to be continuously in the cross hairs.  When the target moves, the cross hairs move, the missile moves.
This bullet requires a trigger to be pulled, and the target to be continuously in the cross hairs.  When the target moves, the cross hairs moves,

So, how can you not compare the principles behind how each of those weapons works?  Doesn't make a whit of difference if one of them is crewserved and one of them is handheld.

Davout

Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 02 February 2012, 10:46:10 »

Your head moves way too much to be designating targets at a few hundred meters, much less 2000m. 
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 02 February 2012, 11:49:20 »

At one point it was suggested by , I believe IvanR, that you can fire off the first round, hit your first target. After that point the targets scatter and pop smoke defeating the laser guidance. From that point on the guided rounds are supposedly useless.

Lets assume it works out that way, that the squad gets to pop off 1 round each, each taking out their target. From that point on the rounds are useless.

Someone also mentioned Vietnam where the theorist believed that they knew what the pilots would encounter, what the troops on the ground would encounter, and that somehow these guys in offices back in the U.S. knew it all.

There was another comment about Leonld, IIRC I just butchered his name, I read one of his books on maneuver warfare. IIRC, he made a mention about how new tech gets passed up, or not applied correctly because people want to apply it the same old way that they have used everything they had before.

I think there are some assumptions being made here. First off that the enemy's position is know, not just where they saw one soldier, but they know exactly where the whole unit is.

next is that each round in the magazine is one of these smart rounds.

That we cannot trust the spotter, even if it is a drone, which is either fully automated or a being controlled at home by an operator who has an officer watching over the operations of the drones, authorizing targets. That no matter what, we cannot trust the individuals that are responsible for helping acquire the target.

That there is, nor ever will be some sort of override, or means of the shooter to not fire, or to have absolutely no control of the shot, or a minimization of what the spotter can and cannot do.

That the enemy will respond in a predictable fashion that will always defeat a second round of smart bullets.

There is also the assumption that the one firing the rounds are going to be human.

If we try to look beyond these assumptions, or even play to them things might not be so obviously pointless.

Lets go with a UAV serving as a spotter. We could either have one that is being operated at home that has an operator and someone in command of that operator making sure they know what is going on when someone is requesting assistence to take a shot, or we could have a much smaller uav that is operated locally by a squad mate.

Since not every encounter with the enemy is going to permit the use of smart rounds, lets do away with the idea that the entire magazine is filled with smart rounds. Instead, lets mix a few smart rounds in with standard rounds. What this does is allow someone to always have a smart round available somewhere, but always able to fire away with standard rounds. It reduces costs, it reduces the number of crates of smart rounds that need to be shipped. It ensures that a lot of money is not being wasted after the first round. Lets go with the first round is always a smart one and every 3rd is also a smart round, or any other way you want to do it.

Seeing 4 people getting dropped causes the enemy to scatter and to start popping smoke. Your guided rounds are now useless. that sucks, right? Well, of course it does, but we also now know where everyone is. We know what their possible paths are going to be. There is no point in using smoke to protect yourself after the first shot if you are going to wonder out into the open to get out of there. That would allow them to fire more smart rounds and make sure they drop more of your force. The hostile force needs to either construct a series of tunnels from every position they wish to hold, or they need to use smoke to protect their retreat, making them obvious. Of course, the idea that they are going to basically light themselves up that way means that the spotter could relay the position of the smoke to other assets. The enemy has now fixed their position less they carry tons of smoke , or they go out into the open to be cut down.

Not sure how this would work, but what if there was a shooter, a spotter with a portable uav or just a designator, and a bigger, more sophisitcated uav over head? Using GPS, radar and such, could there not be a scan of the area that can be pulled up, along with new information assuming the hostiles have altered their immediate surroundings to afford themselves some protection?

Would it be possible to use some sort of sensor that the smoke does not defeat? If so could the rounds be given instructions over radio waves? Could the big uav have the processing power to take in information from the spotter, go over the known dimensions of the area that was updated before the first round is fired, to then adjust the fire of the shooter in a way that defeats the smoke?

I am assuming that the hostiles are able to see through the smoke somehow. If so, then similar methods could be used to observe them, which means targeting information could be fed to the uav to feed to the rounds of the shooter. If so then the smart rounds are back in bussiness until the hostiles start using other means to protect themselves to the point that they themselves cannot return fire. If they cannot return fire and they cannot advance, nor are the able to retreat, then a nice fat artillery round or 10 would likely eliminate them.

It seems pointless since the infantry would only end up firing 1-4 rounds at best and that things become much more dependant upon the artillery or air assets. What is the point? Well, the point would be that the infantry are not pulling the trigger as often, but neither is enemy. While they are not firing as many rounds they are also reducing the rounds that are being fired in their direction. The fewer rounds fired at them, the higher their survival rate. If thats not a good enough reason to give smart rounds a shot, I don't know what is. Not only would it increase their chances of living and avoiding life changing injury, but it could cause the opposition to surrender more often. I am sure the hostiles would have just as much a life to want to return to in one piece then our own people.

Also, if we are talking about an environment where there might be civilians, but an absolute need to take the shot, would you rather have a chance of missing a target by yards, or by inches? The less the rounds stray, the more control the shoot has over them. It does not mean they need to take unnecessary risks by firing into a crowd while relying on the adjustments to ensure the civilians are safe, it just means the rounds are not going to be as wild as they would without the guidance. Things are not going to be perfect out there, so the less of a chance someone is ordered to take a shot that might hit a civiilan instead of the actual target, the less stress that shooter needs to be under. it also helps reduce the chances of such taking place, meaning that individual is not going to go through the rest of their life thinking that they shot a civilian on accident, but shot not the less. That is a huge psychological load off of them.

That is just thinking of a spotter, a uav, and some infantry. That is rather conventional ...

What if we reduced the risks to our own people by making use of smart rounds, uavs, and ground based drones.  1 soldier is going to make use of a single weapon, but a single soldier could end up operating a few ground based drones. Each drone could be equipped with more then a single weapon. Instead of the hostiles looking for the muzzle flash of the shooter, they would end up looking for where the fire is coming from only to find that there is a drone instead of a flesh and blood soldier. Sucks for them, but is good for our people, right?

One of the problems people have with fully automated , armed, uavs is that no one is responsible for pulling the trigger. People worry that we are going to have a skynet scenario on a smaller scale where a drone goes around shooting anyone. With such a set up we still have an individual in the loop that needs to pay attention to what is going on. Now, we could give the drones standard rounds, or we could change that so that they have a mix of standard and smart rounds. We could even have one weapon with nothing but smart rounds and another with standards.

A single soldier could operate a drone that has 1 or 2 machine guns, or control 2 or more such drones at a time. Adding such firepower to every  unit would increase their lethality while reducing the risk to the actual people. Either the drones are going to mow the opposition down with ease, or it is going to scare the heck out of them. If the enemy has x amount of RPGs on hand, they might fire them at the softies, or they might try and take out the drones. Most likely they will realize that the drones are probably going to take more of a hit then the softies and choose to fire the rpgs at them. Great, you just forced them to burn some of their stock on hand. That is now x amount of rpgs that would have been fired at softies that could have been killed or seriously injured. You might lose a drone or two, but those are replaceable, right? Again, the enemy might just get smart and give up, or do something stupid and get caught in the open and eliminated one way or another...to bad they didn't surrender...maybe their friends will think about it twice though.

Also, if one side has these rounds and the other does not, that is going to kick their moral down a notch. They will know at long range they are much more likely to catch a round then their targets will from them. That smoke isn't going to be super effective forever, that means someone is going to have to lug around more means of generating such smoke. something is going to be left behind in order for that smoke, or they are going to be weighted down, which might get them killed or hurt.

The point should not to look at a new piece of gear as something to defeat everything all of the time. The point should be to push the enemy to respond in a manner that hurts them, so that you can do something else to hurt them for reacting. no smoke? get decimated by smart rounds. Use smoke but don't run for it? get shelled as you just gave away your position with absolute certainty. Want to mix in with civilians and force someone to take a shot? Might go the way you planned it. Keep forcing them to react to you. Get inside their head, look at their options, look for ways to beat those options. Beat those options and you beat them, hopefully by forcing them to crack and feel that there is nothing they can do but surrender or die in a futile manner. HOpefully they will surrender so that one day they can go home when the fighting is over.

The question shouldn't be what we think on a forum, engineer, or someone that worked in the field, or someone else. It should come down to what those risking their butts for whatever their country asks of them if they will prefer to almost ensure the elimination of 1 target for each of them out there before the enemy knows they are there, or would they prefer to face 100% of their force with standard rounds? Chances are they are going to realize if you drop 4 out of 10 hostiles, that is 4 fewer weapons being fired at them, which translates into x^4 fewer rounds being fired at them. It also removes some capabilities that the enemy would have otherwise. The question should be if they want to up their chances of survival, and the chances of those to their left and their right, or should someone at a desk decide that the project isn't going to autowin the war for them, therefore it should be ignored. Don't rely on it, but work it into the available options is the way to go.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #40 on: 02 February 2012, 12:47:31 »
Generally speaking its the same for UAS in the civilian arena. When is a UAS reasonably capable of making good command decisions such as a go / no-go decision? So far the assumption is that an aircraft will keep a command officer in charge and exercise authority over the conduct of the aircraft (plural?). Whether the officer will remain in the control loop as well as the command loop in any capacity is up for question and development.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 03 February 2012, 01:32:36 »
So, how can you not compare the principles behind how each of those weapons works?  Doesn't make a whit of difference if one of them is crewserved and one of them is handheld.
The heartbeat and breath of the person at the controls of a Sparrow has zero impact, minimal impact on a mounted/stabilized TOW and a huge impact on a handheld system.  Try holding rifle crosshairs on a point target at 2000m for two seconds and you will see the difference.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 03 February 2012, 03:22:52 »
Use a tripod mounted laser designator built into strong optics. Tripod mounts are very stable. Stable enough to put a telescope on them and look at faint objects in the sky that aren't stationary.

I really see no technological hurdles to overcome other than actually making the bullet work. The biggest question would be "How much will it cost?". As is always the case with something government funded.

Sibko Sebacean

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 07 August 2013, 00:09:44 »
Can this thing guide itself in heavy wind?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #44 on: 07 August 2013, 00:44:28 »
Only have one question: "When will we see this in AToW?"  :D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 07 August 2013, 01:16:05 »
Only have one question: "When will we see this in AToW?"  :D

Precision ammo, duh.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #46 on: 07 August 2013, 01:19:14 »
Would it not be possible to have it fired from a fixed point, say a vechicle or building mounted turret? Either that or laser designator from said turret being remotely controlled? Wouldn't that cut down on a lot of issues?

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #47 on: 07 August 2013, 11:54:25 »
This will be premier for snipers where the spotter handles the laser designator.  The only way I can see this as a squad level munition is with a dedicated squad sharpshooter and the squad lead with the laser doohickey. 
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #48 on: 07 August 2013, 12:56:32 »
Precision ammo, duh.

we have that for personal weapons? Sweet!

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 07 August 2013, 12:58:48 »
Depends, can you lift a PRAC-2? ;)
Sunrise is Coming.

Gunslinger

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 07 August 2013, 15:11:00 »
This will be premier for snipers where the spotter handles the laser designator.  The only way I can see this as a squad level munition is with a dedicated squad sharpshooter and the squad lead with the laser doohickey.

hmm. What if a gyro stabilized rifle pod, with the actual sniper/spotter (same person Lets call him "SS") right next to it with a scope/trigger, attached to the gun by a fiberoptics cable a ft away or so (whatever). When the gun is active, it literally adjusts itself to aim at the same point SS scope cross-hairs do. Perhaps within the scope a little dot showing where the gun is pointing if it is in the midst of adjusting.

Shooter pulls the trigger. No recoil, no bracing, just "click" to maximize the steadying effect of the spotter.

You could probably do away with the two man team, unless you simply need a second body to haul extra gear.

For rifles, there is the air-burst like the landwarrior pre-set proximately fuse for grenades, but for rifles munition.
For Gyrojet rifles, see "Guided Gyrojet rounds".  :)

I wanna say both of those are mine.. but I actually think that was from my Pre-Gmail accounts (I see the set-ups in ATOW, but I also think they were in combat equipment originally with the Faction specific Infantry armor kits, and specialized (semi-guided and Airburst) Mortar rounds so I could possibly not find the email for full on verification.

Yeah, I'm actually starting to realize how much "low-profile" stuff I did.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #51 on: 07 August 2013, 16:15:40 »
Reminds me of something a bit more obscure.  Here we go.  Youtube doesn't fail.

Reminds me of a classic.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 07 August 2013, 22:05:46 »
I am reminded of some game I played for a few min in a store one of the scenarios had you taking a long distance sniper shot...

when I fired the round I was aiming at center of mass but as I watched the bullet "travel" it sure looked like it followed a corkscrew path, and hit the target in the head.

regardless of the merits of team shooter, spotter roles the idea here IMO is that its supposed to make the bullet in question into a "baby" version of a guided missile, where you trade off a certain amount of kill "power" per shot for more accuracy.

the other thing I see in the pro argument is once you have one form of tracking (guidance) system you can usually work out alternates to sub in.

just offhand,
laser guidance, IR laser guidance, IR thermal guidance, radar guidance, image recognition guidance.  "now that would be scary" bullets that you fire at "troops" and self designate going for insignia....

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #53 on: 08 August 2013, 00:01:42 »
It will be interesting when this technology matures enough to be fielded and the ages old game of measures and countermeasures ensues.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #54 on: 08 August 2013, 00:11:21 »
Ya'll are thinking small...Wait till they add it to mechs  ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #55 on: 08 August 2013, 00:47:28 »
Headhunter SRMs?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 08 August 2013, 00:55:19 »
Well we already have copperhead arty and precision AC rounds.  This is pretty much the two together but in a caliber better-suited to machine guns.
Sunrise is Coming.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #57 on: 08 August 2013, 02:32:40 »
Headhunter SRMs?

Don't even go there, if there was any logic to Battletech 90% of aimed shots would already hit the head.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 08 August 2013, 04:55:23 »
How about this mount a half a dozen on a MULE or Vehicle, each slaved to a different Designator/Shooter, deploy fire teams (each containing a Designator/Shooter) in a forward flanking formation of the MULE/Vehicle position. the Designator/Shooters take the first shot, fire comes from the MULE/Vehicle position, the Be-Bops scatter and or take cover from the MULE/Vehicle position the fire teams that are on different fire angles then open up.

as to countermeasures, carrying them will cut in to the Mass and Displacement used for other gear like 2ndry weapons, Support & Auxiliary Weapons, Ammo, Protective Equipment, Coms, Vision, Food & Water and so on. what do you lose (cutting your capability) or short change reducing operational range and/or forcing stricter rationing discipline, or do you stack on the extra gear and compromise mobility & endurance?

Register