Author Topic: who makes ER PPC's before the SL fell?  (Read 3591 times)

cawest

• Captain
who makes ER PPC's before the SL fell?
« on: 19 January 2020, 14:27:44 »
Besides H-class what were the names of manufacture of ER PPCs during the Star League?

haesslich

• Lieutenant
Re: who makes ER PPC's before the SL fell?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2020, 14:40:40 »
Maybe Blankenburg Technologies?

The Blankenburg Technologies 200 was made on Terra, and should've been on the Royal Griffin they manufactured, IIRC.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2020, 14:51:59 »
Probably a few factories given all the units that used them.

Off the top of my head....

Talon-5W
Phoenix Hawk-1b
Griffin-2N
Lynx-9Q

Champion-1Nb
WarHammer-7A
Marauder-2R

Spartan
Thug-11Eb
Battlemaster-1Gb
Shogun-2H
Nightstar-9J
Atlas-7D-H2

Stuka-K5b

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2020, 15:23:39 »
that's a pretty good list. the others that use them point to small-scale proliferation. besides the post-SL Zeus 5T and a Cargomaster upgrade, the rest of the ERPPC users come out of Klondike. sourcing the gun directly is a bit tricky as most of the units don't get a formal TRO writeup (or the writeup doesn't give enough detail like with the Dropships), but beyond the Blankenburg 200, there couldn't have been many other models

Other pre-fall units

Thunderbolt 5Sb
Dragoon (Blankenburg 200)
Black Knight 6b
BattleMaster 1Gbc
Atlas II H2 (the H variant used blankenburg ERLLs so it's probably not a mystery who made the ERPPCs for the H2)

Puma 005b Assault Tank

Ironsides SD1b
Rapier 200
Screamer LAM
Tomahawk 63b

Achilles (2721/2721b)
Colossus
Lee (2756)
Model 96 Elephant
Overlord (2762b)
Pentagon (2751)
Pueblo (2673)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2020, 20:48:43 »
The Talon uses the Lord's Light 2, so, that is a DC weapon.

I'm guessing either there is some sort of trade agreement when its put back into production in the 3050's, or,  the SL had one in the 2700's.

The Lynx uses a Defiance 1001 model.

Given Defiance also made that Zeus model, I'm betting they made the ERPPC in the 2700's too.

Nightstar also uses that Defiance model.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2020, 21:26:49 »
i wonder if the lord's light ppcs are from the contemporary models. the 3058U writeup has the talon being produced on Inarcs (both the SL and contemporary factory site) and  was never a DC possession.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2020, 11:39:02 »
So positing that Donal, Magna and the other standard PPCs makers before 3050 did not make the ER models before the Star League fell?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2020, 11:42:48 »
Or if they did, they didn't have the specs anywhere that wasn't nuked in the 1st or 2nd SW...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2020, 11:47:08 »
So positing that Donal, Magna and the other standard PPCs makers before 3050 did not make the ER models before the Star League fell?

possibly. do we have evidence they did? this isn't the kind of detail i usually concern myself with, but the OP is looking for specific models.

is the post-invasion parts listing for revived SL units representative of the SL-era? dunno.

Or if they did, they didn't have the specs anywhere that wasn't nuked in the 1st or 2nd SW...

apocalyptic destruction is indeed a roadblock to historical inquiry

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2020, 11:47:42 »
Am I right that chronologically the Spartan was the first unit to use an ER PPC? The Kinslaughter H, right?

Despite being first shown in TRO2750, I don't see any units that carry it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2020, 11:50:05 »
Despite being first shown in TRO27503058, I don't see any units that carry it.

Its the first we see.

Whether it is the first in universe date, I'm not sure.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2020, 11:58:55 »
Am I right that chronologically the Spartan was the first unit to use an ER PPC? The Kinslaughter H, right?

it's up there. the Talon and Lynx appeared in TRO 3058 as well, though i have the same questions about the origin of those two. since the remaining spartans are from the original production runs (the original 3058 puts the number remaining at 19), it would seem the Kingslaughter-H is an SL-era weapon

including units added later (hello, royals), it falls in the in-universe chronology a fair bit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2020, 12:04:25 »
It strikes me the earliest production models could have been heavier, since they only appeared on ships.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2020, 12:12:08 »
they follow the standard construction rules, but yeah, the gap in time between the dropships and mech/asf does seem to indicate some engineering shenanigans that had to be worked out

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2020, 12:44:25 »
Engineering shenanigans works for me!  :thumbsup:

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2020, 12:47:16 »
It strikes me the earliest production models could have been heavier, since they only appeared on ships.

More likely since those record sheets have never been updated, the review process never caught they were illegal and generated the "infamous" pre-ER PPC variant recon that happened with most 'mechs with ER PPCs and an intro date before 2751.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2020, 12:53:52 »
In which case, we'll celebrate the patching of yet another plot hole...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2020, 12:59:38 »
so... MUL eratta?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2020, 13:15:03 »
I meant chronologically in universe. I think in publications the Spartan and a few others first appeared in the Rhonda Snord scenario book.

The ER PPC first appeared in TRO2750. Spartan in TR3058. Sorry if my initial post was a bit confusing. All them damn pronouns.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2020, 16:46:51 »
I found it funny that they backdated all those designs & came up with weird numbering for Pre-ERPPC variants of them.

When it might have just been easier to say the ERPPC introduction year was off by a century or 2.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2020, 16:49:57 »
Well, the other part is, as spec'd out for resumed production in the 3050s does not mean it uses the same parts as when originally manufactured.  IF ERPPCs were relatively new and TH/Royal exclusives then as someone said, I would not expect say the Talon's ERPPC to be sourced from the DC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2020, 21:02:40 »
Then what about the Parti-Kill PPC... it's official history has its using heavy magnetic fields to charge up and fire its plasma bolt.

And that's a pre-SW1 Era tech.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2020, 23:19:50 »
the parti-kill is a standard ppc (and eventually a snub)

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Particle_Projector_Cannon#Parti-Kill_Heavy_Cannon

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2020, 00:21:02 »
The PartiKill is obviously a Plasma Canon only that it use technology that is lost when the Cappelans invented the 6t weapon with 100kg blocks of foam.

Maybe Klondike and the Invasion of Terra books offer some specific manufacturers

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2020, 05:25:12 »
I vote that there were non standard weapons. Earlier TROs especially talk about weapons/equipment being older bulkier heavier or smaller than other models, or worked differently in some way. It works out since units in TRO:2750 were made with fractional accounting.

It also makes sense since not everything is built to the same standards. Standard makes things easier but there's always going to be higher end, lower end, or odd ball equipment.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2020, 06:55:50 »
I vote that there were non standard weapons. Earlier TROs especially talk about weapons/equipment being older bulkier heavier or smaller than other models, or worked differently in some way. It works out since units in TRO:2750 were made with fractional accounting.

It also makes sense since not everything is built to the same standards. Standard makes things easier but there's always going to be higher end, lower end, or odd ball equipment.
So the Tiegard PPC having 10% less bulk then the Donal (that should have characteristic hexagonal capacitors and a long barrel (read the standard picture of the PPC)
So mentioned Tiegard weights 6.5tons and consumes 2.8 crits?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2020, 08:06:54 »
So the Tiegard PPC having 10% less bulk then the Donal (that should have characteristic hexagonal capacitors and a long barrel (read the standard picture of the PPC)
So mentioned Tiegard weights 6.5tons and consumes 2.8 crits?

I don't know if it's lighter but it could be? As for bulk, I'd still round up to 3 crits but I think its a step towards the Clans Improved PPC with 2 crits.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2020, 13:49:49 »
So we’ve got the Blankenberg 200 and Kingslaughter? Any examples of the Lord’s Light 2 appearing definitively in a star league context?

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2020, 07:34:51 »
Magna Firestar ERPPC from Klondike
 and I was surprised to see the Parti-Kill SnubNoose at the Falcon.... well shouldn't the Manticore and Myrmidon be retconned in this case

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 22 January 2020, 10:13:25 »
Magna Firestar ERPPC from Klondike
 and I was surprised to see the Parti-Kill SnubNoose at the Falcon.... well shouldn't the Manticore and Myrmidon be retconned in this case

http://sarna.net/wiki/Extended_Range_Particle_Projector_Cannon#Magna_Firestar

The odd thing here is that all of the worlds we know it was made on aren't Terran Hegemony worlds - one of them is in the Taurian Concordat, and the other two are in Capellan or Marik space.

I think this is a fact check failure on the writers' side, if they included the Magna on the Shogun.