Author Topic: Question on a comic/toy series from the 1980's or so...  (Read 1276 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Question on a comic/toy series from the 1980's or so...
« on: 16 September 2018, 11:17:32 »
Can anyone else remember a series of Matchbox/HotWheels sized toy cars, made at least partly of metal that had plastic guns on several locations (and plastic armor or other protrusions on others) that also had a large plastic bumper on the front of the car, and a swing open door on the bottom of the toy in which you could place one of those pop caps (from pop guns) so that when your bumper hit another car or object, the cap was supposed to go off? The cars were supposed to be robotic, but not transformable, and the setting was supposed to be a post-apocalyptic future. There were two factions using similar, but differently colored vehicles...

The talk on the upcoming Star Wars Resistance series about older racing shows had me thinking about this one...I used to have some of the toys (probably still do somewhere) and at least one mini-comic for it, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the series...and my google-fu is not up to the task right now...

Thanks in advance...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Question on a comic/toy series from the 1980's or so...
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2018, 12:22:05 »
I think I had one of those when I was really young.  I have no idea what the name was, though.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2018, 12:50:48 »
It sounds sort of like Tonka’s Steel Monsters but they were bigger vehicles and I don’t remember if they could hold pop caps

http://www.toymania.com/334archives/steel/index.htm

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2018, 15:39:39 »
It sounds sort of like Tonka’s Steel Monsters but they were bigger vehicles and I don’t remember if they could hold pop caps

http://www.toymania.com/334archives/steel/index.htm

Wasn't that...don't even remember that from when I was young...these were supposed to be vehicles that were used to run the highway between cities, and had to be armored and armed to protect from road pirates (the opening scene had some non-AI cars being taken out by these bad guys)...as I remember it, there was a father that was the creator of the cars/robot AI's within the cars, but his partner was corrupt, and stole the plans, prototypes and killed the father, and then created his evil AI cars (and since this was before PC was common, like so many other toys back then, so that kids could tell good from evil, the good cars were white while the evil ones were black...don't think that would work nowadays)...the children of the inventor managed to get 3 or so cars empowered with good AI's, and used them to defend their base from an attack from the evil AI's...

At least, that's basically how I remember the plot of the comic with these toys...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2018, 19:30:46 »
never heard of that comic, but there were a few different toy car lines that more or less fit the description.....yeah, if i had a company name or something i might be able to help but this ain't enough for me to go off of sorry. too many things sharing the name of those little paper popcaps. xp
« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 19:39:17 by Orin J. »
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2018, 20:04:49 »
never heard of that comic, but there were a few different toy car lines that more or less fit the description.....yeah, if i had a company name or something i might be able to help but this ain't enough for me to go off of sorry. too many things sharing the name of those little paper popcaps. xp

If I remember correctly, these used plastic pop caps. The evil cars had grayish purple evil faces painted on their hoods as I recall...I think the good guys also had a rig of some kind with a two level trailer as one of the scenes I seem to remember from the comic was a bad guy car trailing it, and a good guy car gunning it from the top level, and DFA'ing the bad guy car...

Ruger

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2018, 20:07:02 »
And my google-fu finally worked!!! It was a Matchbox line of toys called Flash Force 2000!

Ruger

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2018, 20:42:57 »
Was it these

damm you beat me to the punch
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2018, 21:08:52 »
Was it these

damm you beat me to the punch

Yep...loved those things...

Ruger