Author Topic: Protomech artillery?  (Read 2971 times)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
Protomech artillery?
« on: 02 June 2013, 21:21:11 »
I was told by one of my players today that Protomechs can use BA artillery but I don't even see BA Artillery anywhere listed in my  copies of the TechManual or Tactical Ops and the errata I've looked at has me more confused. Where's this stuff at?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Protomech artillery?
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2013, 21:36:50 »
Tactical Operations.
They added it in a recent errata. (On page 25 of the PDF.)
Not sure about the whole protomech thing though...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2013, 21:42:26 »
Alright thank you for that, according to the errata, nadda for Protomechs. My player will be disappointed.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2013, 18:50:33 »
I think my player read another couple of answered questions in the Tactical Ops Questions Forum that gave him the impression that BA Artillery Tubes could be used by Protomechs. I don't quite understand why they couldn't be mind you, considering they can be put on Battlemechs, Battle Armor and Combat Vees. To shut him (my player that is), I think I'll House rule it that he can.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2013, 20:43:29 »
I have not run the numbers, but you might be able to cram an Arrow IV into an ultraheavy if you are clever about it.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2013, 20:52:50 »
I think my player read another couple of answered questions in the Tactical Ops Questions Forum that gave him the impression that BA Artillery Tubes could be used by Protomechs. I don't quite understand why they couldn't be mind you, considering they can be put on Battlemechs, Battle Armor and Combat Vees. To shut him (my player that is), I think I'll House rule it that he can.

WHAT?

What is their weight and crits and heat?

I have not run the numbers, but you might be able to cram an Arrow IV into an ultraheavy if you are clever about it.

You "can", but it's not feasible.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2013, 20:54:55 »
There was some maths done behind the scenes with heavy weapons, superheavy protos, and should it be legal. It was mathematically possible, but I can't remember if it was errata'd to be illegal.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2013, 20:56:44 »
There was some maths done behind the scenes with heavy weapons, superheavy protos, and should it be legal. It was mathematically possible, but I can't remember if it was errata'd to be illegal.

As I said, it "can" be done, but it's in no way feasible. I fit a CERPPC into one, and trust me, 9.75 tons on weapons does not allow for much else.

12 tons? Yeah...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2013, 21:00:43 »
As I said, it "can" be done, but it's in no way feasible. I fit a CERPPC into one, and trust me, 9.75 tons on weapons does not allow for much else.

12 tons? Yeah...

I was kind of figuring it would have to sacrifice anything resembling movement or armor, although getting a tube that cheap might be worth it.  Of course, you might be better off with a small vehicle at that point, but that does not really work for this thread.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2013, 21:27:31 »
I was kind of figuring it would have to sacrifice anything resembling movement or armor, although getting a tube that cheap might be worth it.  Of course, you might be better off with a small vehicle at that point, but that does not really work for this thread.

You end up with something like a 1/2 turret with 2 or 3 shots and almost no armor to speak off. Every few rounds you need to spend another 3 reloading.

And if you fail, you explode and die a terrible death.

Still, during those 3 shots, with a point of them? You are god.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2013, 21:36:55 »
You end up with something like a 1/2 turret with 2 or 3 shots and almost no armor to speak off. Every few rounds you need to spend another 3 reloading.

And if you fail, you explode and die a terrible death.

Still, during those 3 shots, with a point of them? You are god.

Yeah, that is fairly impressive, although a 20~25 ton vehicle is probably more practical.  You can get something vaguely resembling movement and armor along with a decent ammo reserve without too much trouble, and with standard components the tube should wind up costing more than the rest of the vehicle which is nice for bottom of the barrel units that never get anything nice.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2013, 08:42:46 »
Yeah, that is fairly impressive, although a 20~25 ton vehicle is probably more practical.  You can get something vaguely resembling movement and armor along with a decent ammo reserve without too much trouble, and with standard components the tube should wind up costing more than the rest of the vehicle which is nice for bottom of the barrel units that never get anything nice.

About the largest weapon I would mount on a proto would be an ER large Laser or Large Pulse Laser, you could mount an LB-2-X or Ultra AC/2 but what would be the point.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2013, 17:19:09 »
I find the idea of ProtoMech artillery hilarious. The thing would just be a rack of missiles with arms and legs and a pod for the pilot.

"I must...become the artillery".

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2013, 17:46:00 »
I find the idea of ProtoMech artillery hilarious. The thing would just be a rack of missiles with arms and legs and a pod for the pilot.

"I must...become the artillery".

Sounds like something that a mentally disturbed infantryman would want to do after the rest of his squad was wiped out by artillery.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2013, 18:23:06 »
The guy is strapped to the operating table while the deranged ex-Clan scientist is talking to him.

"This will kill you. You know that, quiaff? It will not be a good death, either. You will lose control of your mind, and then your body, and then you will die."

"I can't operate a ProtoMech without enhanced imaging implants, can I?"

"No. I just want to make sure you understand."

"Do it. It doesn't matter if I die as long as I can tell my friends I avenged them when I see them again!"

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 04 June 2013, 19:37:24 »
About the largest weapon I would mount on a proto would be an ER large Laser or Large Pulse Laser, you could mount an LB-2-X or Ultra AC/2 but what would be the point.

The 2-X would make a great low cost anti-aircraft platform.  A single point of those could spread out to cover a much larger formation without much trouble, and the gun should be light enough for them to get decent speed and armor so they can get where they need to be and stay there.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2013, 12:50:47 »
Why would you want to? A protomech is a tatical weapon. It don't need it, it needs a LRM launcher.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2013, 14:10:28 »
The 2-X would make a great low cost anti-aircraft platform.  A single point of those could spread out to cover a much larger formation without much trouble, and the gun should be light enough for them to get decent speed and armor so they can get where they need to be and stay there.

there is a Minotaur variant that does just this. LB2X in a maingun, and a ton of ammo. drops the jumpjets.  at 168bv, a full point of them makes for a very cheap AA option, or a great long range harrassing sniper.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2013, 03:50:20 »
*Points to the Field Guns rules in TacOps, page 311*

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2013, 05:12:45 »
Quick question-- does it explicitly say that protomechs can mount Battlearmor artillery?  that could be a very n ice "annoyance" weapon-- a  point of proto's with some speed and some artillery would be almost impossible to catch.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2013, 05:33:10 »
BA artillery isn't THAT good, it's only got a two mapsheet range

Gus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2013, 06:02:34 »
Looking at my copy of TacOPs, no artillery piece is allowable on ProtoMechs. Under the headings of all types of artillery, be they Arrow IV, tube artillery or cruise missiles, Protomechs aren't mentioned.

Still, I do like the idea of a really light-weight artillery piece on units larger than BA. Some BA Tube-knockoff that was appropriately scaled-up for Protomechs or Battlemechs would be an interesting 'annoyance' weapon.