Author Topic: Are X-Pulse Lasers worth taking?  (Read 11186 times)

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Re: Are X-Pulse Lasers worth taking?
« Reply #60 on: 22 May 2018, 19:18:15 »
Something Gauss-based could probably work as well, but the ranges don't match as neatly.

Actually, a LXPL and a gauss rifle both are at +2 to hit at 15 hexes - that's pretty handy because that's long range for most long range weapons.  It's a very narrow range advantage but if you commit to fighting in the medium range band it's potentially exploitable in something like a Marauder 5S that traded it's ER PPCs for LXPLs.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #61 on: 22 May 2018, 20:43:41 »
The MAD-5S?  Honestly they make a LOT of sense replacing the IS LPL on the Marauder -5M.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

chaosticket

• Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 23 May 2018, 00:10:06 »
Well the Ultimate Question for X Pulse lasers isnt are the worth taking but rather are they worth taking over existing technology.

The ER PPC and standard Medium Laser are my choices for energy weapons.

Range is crucial as it both gives you a maximum attack range, but also alters your weapons' short/medium/long range.

The ER PPC compared to the Large X Pulse Laser have almost identical stats. the Large Pulse is better at shorter ranges, especially 1-5. It loses when you get to 16-23 as the X Pulse cant fire that far.

Depending on your build and what you are facing might be a major problem. Large X Pulse Lasers can be AWESOME but at the same time its a "big gun" due to its weight and heat sinks requirements. a lighter unit might have 1 and a larger one can have 2 reasonably. On a lighter mech it can be quite good but a slower mech you might be constantly out-ranged. Its a good idea to have some LRMs or an LBX-5 to respond.

However ultimately you really do want clan-tech. Increasing the range and decreasing the heat generated by Clan Large Pulse lasers is just awesome.
I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 23 May 2018, 05:03:56 »
Actually, a LXPL and a gauss rifle both are at +2 to hit at 15 hexes - that's pretty handy because that's long range for most long range weapons.  It's a very narrow range advantage but if you commit to fighting in the medium range band it's potentially exploitable in something like a Marauder 5S that traded it's ER PPCs for LXPLs.

That's a good point. LXPL/HGR ranges and heats also match decently, but that has its own special forms of range awkwardness.