Author Topic: (Answered UPDATED) Experimental Armor and Piloting Skill Rolls  (Read 3100 times)

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
Three questions that should hopefully cover all the bases:

1. A 'Mech with reflective armor is hit by two standard PPCs. Does it need to make a piloting skill roll due to damage?

2. A 'Mech with hardened armor is hit by two standard PPCs. Does it need to make a piloting skill roll due to damage?

3. A 'Mech with reflective armor is hit by a kick from a 50-ton attacker. Does it need to make a piloting skill roll due to damage?

Basically, I would like to know if the 20-point threshold refers to the damage value of the weapon or the actual damage sustained by the target.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 15:23:44 by Xotl »

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
Re: Experimental Armor and Piloting Skill Rolls
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2011, 01:01:56 »
Bumped because it came up in one of the MM threads.

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2011, 22:20:16 »
The intent has always been on the damage done before any armor. So in the examples above, 1 and 2 would create piloting skills rolls, while #3 would only be a PSR for being kicked.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2011, 05:03:42 »
Much obliged! I suspected that was the case, but I think either interpretation would have been reasonable, although...

I just realized that this would seem to allow for a situation where a 'Mech with ferro-lamellor armor gets shot with a bunch of LB-X pellets and takes no damage but falls over anyway. It'd be like it got hit with a really big pillow.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Please note that we are updating this answer, to keep it in line with the following thread:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=3391.0

In short, PSRs forced by damage are based on the damage actually taken by a unit, not what would theoretically have been dealt before any possible damage modifications.

This will be reflected in the this year's BattleMech Manual errata.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register