Author Topic: 2 kills in an Elemental ToP  (Read 6129 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
2 kills in an Elemental ToP
« on: 28 December 2012, 13:57:58 »
I've never been entirely clear on this....

With Elementals, does scoring 2 kills in a Trial of Position earn the rank of Point Commander or Star Commander?

With mechwarriors point commander isn't really a rank with any responsibilities different than "warrior", but with Elementals it is, Point Commander is definitely of higher stature than being a warrior in a point.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 2 kills in an Elemental ToP
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2012, 13:59:13 »
I'd expect point commander.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2012, 14:05:20 »
Point commander  :)  Since a surprising amount of Khans seem to be elementals, I'm gonna jokingly say they do that because they need to keep some check on all those awesome ristar upstarts  ;)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2012, 14:26:17 »
Point commander  :)  Since a surprising amount of Khans seem to be elementals, I'm gonna jokingly say they do that because they need to keep some check on all those awesome ristar upstarts  ;)

I can only think of a handful.  Couple Bears and a couple Jaguars.  Some sakhans too I guess.

To the patient go the spoils

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2012, 14:32:46 »
Several in the Horses; Malavai Fletcher, James Cobb, and Jake Kabrinski
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2012, 14:53:30 »
Elementals were, and really still are, kinda a novelty. Giant genetically engineered humans. I'm not surprised the writers have chosen over the years to make a few prominent personalities Elementals. Just the word itself brings up this image of a towering strong man or woman, rather than having to say , "Khan Joe is enormously tall and strong".

He's an elemental...fewer words required, mental image achieved.

The aero pilot phenotype, I find, hasn't been that popular with many BT fans, but Elementals are. Not to mention battle armor in general has been popular with BT fans.

Early on, in things like the Clan Wolf Sourcebook, elementals were treated almost like second-class. A personality profile on a Star Captain noted that it was unusual to find an Elemental Star Captain and in that book and the Jade Falcon Sourcebook, Elementals of high rank were extremely rare. I feel like the writers jumped on the Elemental fan train over time.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2012, 15:02:35 »
Several in the Horses; Malavai Fletcher, James Cobb, and Jake Kabrinski

Not surprising since the they are the combined arms clan and value person over machine.  Their stjgma towards mechs is greatly reduced.

Wait, is Hannibal Banacek an elemental???  I guess I assumed he wasnt because of his bloodname but the hulk smashing...

My personal perception of elementals is a bit different since I could probably pass for one albeit on the small end of the scale.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2012, 15:07:54 by cold1 »

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2012, 15:10:50 »
I can only think of a handful.  Couple Bears and a couple Jaguars.  Some sakhans too I guess.

Santin West in Nova Cats (from 3062 to 309X) , 3 khans in Hell Horses (one after another) , last khan of Steel viper etc.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2012, 15:15:28 by Rncavenger »

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2012, 15:24:05 »
Santin West in Nova Cats (from 3062 to 309X) , 3 khans in Hell Horses (one after another) , last khan of Steel viper etc.

I could have been clearer, I was thinking Grimani when mentioning sakhans.  I forgot he took over from Andrews.  I dont count the Nova Cats (please dont get offended anyone).

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2012, 15:39:51 »
The current khan of the Stone lions is also a elemental. Constance cluff was a rather striking one as well. So more than you would think  :) and yes i do count sakhan's as well ^_^
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2012, 16:37:40 »
The current khan of the Stone lions is also a elemental. Constance cluff was a rather striking one as well. So more than you would think  :) and yes i do count sakhan's as well ^_^

Delvillar is a mechwarrior, or at least tested out as one since in WoR he pilots a Thunder Stallion.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2012, 16:56:14 »
sweet kerensky hes big, my bad i mainly just saw the picture and was like "ayep"

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2012, 17:03:52 »
I dont count the Nova Cats (please dont get offended anyone).

Its okay, we knew that the Adder/Viper/Society grape punch was strong stuff. That's why we left the party early and picked up some sake and geisha on our way home.  :P  ;)
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2012, 17:52:34 »
The Exiles also have a Khan that is an Elemental in the Dark Ages.

KlavoHunter

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2012, 18:07:08 »
How even does an Elemental Trial of Position go?  They face off against 3 other Elementals in succession? 
What the heck is a Piranha Rat?!?

those can be some of the best posts evar! wake up the next day and be all like, wait, I posted what!?!?
;)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2012, 18:20:50 »
How even does an Elemental Trial of Position go?  They face off against 3 other Elementals in succession?

I think the official answer is "clan specific".  In some clans they fight other elementals and it appears in some clans they fight against a variety of phenotypes although not sure how an elemental can fight an aerospace pilot in any actual combat thats fair.  Unaugmented the elemental wins, augmented the fighter has a major advantage.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2012, 18:40:43 »
I can't say about during the old days, but now that there's a proliferation of suit types, they could face a light, medium, and heavy suit in succession.  I mean, is seems like very few cadets would pass if they're facing experienced warriors in the exact same suit they're using.
Sunrise is Coming.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2012, 18:50:11 »
There's a reason Elementals end up with more "replacement" parts the longer they survive their career  ;D

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2012, 19:09:38 »
Since at least 4 out of every 5 Elementals end up as just warriors (they can't all be point/Star commanders fresh out of the sibko) I'm guessing that first match is pretty even, at least technologically. An elemental facing another elemental in the same type of suit (whether that be standard elemental armor or something else). That's a tough one-on-one fight that could leave the cadet at least wounded or their suit damaged when they win, which makes defeating a fresh second opponent very difficult and a third supremely difficult.

Due to the sheer volume of availability I'd guess that Trial of Positions, at least for sibko cadets, is conducted with standard elemental armor. Even Clan Second Line, solahma, and marine units seem to have access to the standard elemental armor on a routine basis. Its probably the single most numerous piece of military equipment (among mechs, BA, ASFs) among the Clans.

The exceptions to this would obviously be any Clan that doesn't or can't manufacture that armor.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2012, 04:03:23 »
Found one piece of evidence...Era Report: 3052 on Theresa Delvillar

"Of her life before Operation Revival little is known—she passed
her Trial of Position with two kills, earning the rank of Star Commander
(a rare feat for an Elemental, even in the Ghost Bears)"
« Last Edit: 29 December 2012, 11:04:11 by Alan Grant »

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2012, 19:49:24 »
Since at least 4 out of every 5 Elementals end up as just warriors (they can't all be point/Star commanders fresh out of the sibko)

Thats of the elementals who make their ToP anyway. I imagine some number of them are just winding up as laborer caste.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2012, 20:14:02 »
Or dying.  I thought elementals had the lowest sibko survival rate of all phenotypes.  Not sure that is clearly stated anywhere as much as it seems to be the case based on multiple sources.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2012, 23:45:58 »
Or dying.  I thought elementals had the lowest sibko survival rate of all phenotypes.  Not sure that is clearly stated anywhere as much as it seems to be the case based on multiple sources.

And don't forget the fluff on saKhan/Khan/ilKhan/Khan Banacek (smash).  It does not say it in the main body, but in the rules section, it says specifically that he is an Elemental.  On top of what you have said, which agrees with his bio - he was the only survivor of his sibko.

A lot of elementals probably die in training, but I bet a lot of them survive to completely beef up the labor pool.  >:D  The reward of being a Star Commander after only two kills is well earned I imagine. 

That is good info, but it makes you wonder what exactly is deemed a fail, a pass, or a command role, aside from a second kill...

Death usually qualifies one for the first.   #P
« Last Edit: 29 December 2012, 23:56:26 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2012, 23:53:52 »
So it begs the thought: if the average Clan Elemental training programs are that vicious, what are the Bears and Horses (and the Lions, I suppose?) doing to make other Clans view theirs as intense?!  :o
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2012, 00:01:00 »
I bet there's a few test downs serving as helmsmen on naval vessels as well.  IIRC novels describe the helm's yoke as having an artificial resistance that builds as one turns farther, and that it takes a particularly strong helmsman to make a turn sharp enough to risk stressing the ship.  So who better to milk every last degree of movement out of the ship than one bred for strength?
Sunrise is Coming.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2012, 00:11:08 »
Rebs, what page of WoR is that on?  I could swear Hannibal was an elemental but can not find it any where in the book where it is expressly stated. 

It may be a bit different with the Adders since commanders are expected to be quality military leaders not just the best warrior.  I can see the Adders ideas on picking commanders make it more likely that an elemental would rise through the ranks if he was a good strategic planner.  It's odd the Adders have an elemental khan since they are fluffed as one of the last clans to perfect the phenotype and as of FM:CC they are just getting elementals into the touman consistently.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #26 on: 30 December 2012, 00:15:43 »
page 224. 

It took a long time for me to track that down too.

Also, i thought so too about his rise to power.   I guess Stanislav N'Buta was a pretty keen judge of his warriors' capabilities.  He picked Hannibal the way he himself was picked by the preceding N'Buta, the name escapes me...   

« Last Edit: 30 December 2012, 00:21:27 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2012, 00:19:25 »
You have to be able to win the trial of possession in some nonlethal form or the clan can't grow its elemental force.  One experienced warrior death for each passing cadet does not lead to a growing army, or an experienced army.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #28 on: 30 December 2012, 00:30:59 »
You have to be able to win the trial of possession in some nonlethal form or the clan can't grow its elemental force.  One experienced warrior death for each passing cadet does not lead to a growing army, or an experienced army.

Meow Liao

Undeniable wisdom. 

Are Elemental ToP's necessarily lethal, then? 

I could see wrestling matches determine the outcome.  Or some other martial form, perhaps.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 30 December 2012, 00:41:17 »

I need to deny that. Re-read the section in Strat Ops on Mostly Dead vs Truly Dead (p176). Even assuming fully-powered up weapons, a typical mission kill leaves the trooper alive but wounded 83% of the time (58% in IS armor). So say I make Star Captain: 3 kills. Very rare but it happens. There's a better than 50-50 chance that no one dies at all. The odds that all three are truly dead are negligible.

Here's my question. How do you get promoted in the clan system? In some sources, like the Field Manuals, they claim or at least strongly imply that once you're a warrior, you advance by staging Trials of Possession for higher ranks. In Warriors of Kerensky, they claim you have regular challenge-appropriate Trials of Position, with the results determining if you test up (to a higher rank) or down (to a lower rank). Which is it?