Author Topic: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk  (Read 101358 times)

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
Re: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk
« Reply #60 on: 13 March 2011, 02:11:54 »
Amazon is a  bit weird in my opinion. Some crappy old novels go on there for absurd amounts of money. I'd be surprised if anyone pays it.

Anyway. On the subject of Fire Mandrill, it states that some or all of the clan and its kindraa do not rigidly observe zellbriggen. Does anyone have thoughts as to how this goes? Also there seems to be the sense that, often inter-kindraa conflict degrades into more of an all out war sort of conflict rather than trial conflict. Any thoughts?

I'm going to be running a Fire mandrill campaign with some fellow players so thought I would soak up as much info as I can from the veterans. The players will be in Kindraa Kline.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #61 on: 13 March 2011, 19:27:23 »
If you consider the disparate Kindraa and how much they hate each other, I think that their discarding of zellbrigen would end up being more along the lines of sinking to physical attacks (e.g. a Payne MechWarrior to a Sainze: "I am going to BEAT the inbred stupidity out of you!") or shooting another 'Mech in the back (e.g. ANY Mandrill: "You cannot cover your six all the time, you stupid freebirth!") rather than ganging up and massing fire on a single target.  I'd like to think that even in their breaking of zell, a Mandrill would still break it in an honorable way, if that makes any sense.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #62 on: 14 March 2011, 17:14:39 »
I think there's a respect element.  In general, Clan Warriors have at least a minimal amount of respect for one another; they are after all all warriors.  But, I think if a Payne and a Sainze crossed paths, that would hold less.  Who cares if you disrecpect a Sainze by punking them in the back or double teaming one, he or she is just a Sainze, after all.  Sort of like how armor and infantry units get disrespected by mechs and excempted from zell.  Conversly, if a Sainze crossed paths with a Mick Kreese or a Mattila-Carrol, zell would probably be observed.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 20 March 2011, 20:21:14 »
quick question: does anyone know what the fire mandrill leaders pilot (at any point in time)? the mandrills are one of my fav factions but i've never known the answer to this questions

thanks for any help
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #64 on: 21 March 2011, 20:05:43 »
Honestly?  No idea.  I'd say the best way to determine that is to look at a Mandrills RAT and look at the discussions of tactics for various Kindraa or Clusters as delineated in FM:CC and then extrapolate from there.  For example, if a given Cluster favors quick strikes, their Star Colonel and Star Captains probably aren't going to be piloting assault 'Mechs (and probably not heavies, either, but that's a matter of preference).

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 21 March 2011, 21:06:19 »
Honestly?  No idea.  I'd say the best way to determine that is to look at a Mandrills RAT and look at the discussions of tactics for various Kindraa or Clusters as delineated in FM:CC and then extrapolate from there.  For example, if a given Cluster favors quick strikes, their Star Colonel and Star Captains probably aren't going to be piloting assault 'Mechs (and probably not heavies, either, but that's a matter of preference).

i already did that and i have an idea of what some would use. the reason i asked though was to see if the info is anywhere out there specifically so i don't have to do that.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #66 on: 21 March 2011, 21:26:13 »
As far as canon information about what Mandrill leaders pilot, I don't think there is any.

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 21 March 2011, 21:29:57 »
i thought it might be in the same place as where people found what the blood spirits leaders piloted or the adder leaders piloted. i don't have either of those however so i thought the info might be out there somewhere, and for some reason i think it is
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #68 on: 21 March 2011, 22:27:29 »
Honestly, aside from maybe a reference in BC fiction, I'd have no idea where they got that kind of information for the Spirits or Adders.

The only sourcebooks that make any in-depth mentions of the Mandrills are FM:CC, WoK, MWGttC, and FM:U.  There's also Klondike, but that won't help for modern eras.  And to my knowledge they haven't been featured in any novels or BC stories (but don't quote me on that).
« Last Edit: 21 March 2011, 22:32:22 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 21 March 2011, 22:45:19 »
that stuff, i'm pretty sure, is from wherever info on the great refusal would be, or at least scenarios, but i'm not sure since i don't have all the clan books
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #70 on: 22 March 2011, 00:22:26 »
Within the past 6 months, I've read through all of the Mandrill stuff in all the books I mentioned, and there wasn't a single reference to preferred 'Mechs anywhere.  One Kindraa was mentioned as having manufacturing capabilities for 3 or 4 different 'Mech chasses, but that's all I remember.

I can't tell if the scenario book Twilight of the Clans depicts the Great Refusal or not, but it might be a place to start.

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 22 March 2011, 00:24:47 »
that's kindraa kline you're thinking of.

personally i'm going to wait for a few more responses before i pack my hopes up
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #72 on: 22 March 2011, 00:32:09 »
Just out of curiosity, are there any particular Mandrill characters you're concerned with?

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 22 March 2011, 00:45:22 »
mostly khan carrol (though i can make a decent guess with her) and (sa)khan sainze, sakhan kline would also be pretty easy but i would like to know other kindraa leaders as a bonus
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 22 March 2011, 09:37:46 »
Amanda Carrol prefers 'fast mediums' and her command unit is entirely such mechs.  Pre-Crimson Languar, it leaves us with something like a Shadow Cat, or maybe a Stormcrow, as leading contenders, though it could be anything, or even change from time to time.  Samantha Kline almost surely pilots a Warhawk or Summoner, or just very possibly an Adder, since thouse are the only three omnis her Kindraa makes (or made) and the warriors are noted to have a lot of familiarity with them, leading to PSR bonuses, indicating that typical Klines don't tend to take other omnis even if they have the chance.  Garett Sainze pilots a mech with MASC, at least as of FM:CC, because the entire command star is thus equiped.  That would tend to indicate a Shadow Cat or an Executioner, but its not out of the qustion that the Kindraa leader of the largest Kindraa has been able to pull some strings to have MASC put on some other mech, since he know that the Hellions did it for some lowly bondsman's Pouncer (see TRO55U).  The Beyl-Grant second in command Dora Beyl pilots a Scytha fighter, so its not a bad pick for Bodee Beyl, either, since it shows that its a respected enough ride in the Kindraa, but its the most of a guess of any of these. 

There was a canon senerio that pitted the Mandrills against the Scorpions and depected many of the Clan leadership (in as much as such a thing exists) but I have almost no information about it, having not been there.  Someone who was may be able to answer as to the verious Mandrills' rides.  You may want to start a new thread to attract attention if you care enough about it.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 22 March 2011, 11:08:56 »
Amanda Carrol prefers 'fast mediums' and her command unit is entirely such mechs.  Pre-Crimson Languar, it leaves us with something like a Shadow Cat, or maybe a Stormcrow, as leading contenders, though it could be anything, or even change from time to time.  Samantha Kline almost surely pilots a Warhawk or Summoner, or just very possibly an Adder, since thouse are the only three omnis her Kindraa makes (or made) and the warriors are noted to have a lot of familiarity with them, leading to PSR bonuses, indicating that typical Klines don't tend to take other omnis even if they have the chance.  Garett Sainze pilots a mech with MASC, at least as of FM:CC, because the entire command star is thus equiped.  That would tend to indicate a Shadow Cat or an Executioner, but its not out of the qustion that the Kindraa leader of the largest Kindraa has been able to pull some strings to have MASC put on some other mech, since he know that the Hellions did it for some lowly bondsman's Pouncer (see TRO55U).  The Beyl-Grant second in command Dora Beyl pilots a Scytha fighter, so its not a bad pick for Bodee Beyl, either, since it shows that its a respected enough ride in the Kindraa, but its the most of a guess of any of these. 

There was a canon senerio that pitted the Mandrills against the Scorpions and depected many of the Clan leadership (in as much as such a thing exists) but I have almost no information about it, having not been there.  Someone who was may be able to answer as to the verious Mandrills' rides.  You may want to start a new thread to attract attention if you care enough about it.

apart from the scytha, those are the exact things i had assumed from the info i had
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 22 March 2011, 11:14:51 »
haha, so no one actually knows the answer then :P

I just don't think there are any definite answers in the canon material, you do get close though and IM's list is as close as you're going to get, but i assume you already had that info.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 11:16:22 by ShockaTime »

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 22 March 2011, 13:17:01 »
There is an answer out there.  You just would have had to have been at GenCon or which ever one it was at the right time to know it, or else have talked to someone who was, since that was a canon event and the cherictors in qustion were there.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #78 on: 05 April 2019, 13:01:17 »
Thread necromancy in full flux...   Someone has to do it, so why not me.  Careful; I may have flung some poo once or thrice.   >:D :o 8) :o

I'm a fan of the doomed Kindraa Mick-Krease-Kline-Sainze.  Technically, the whole Clan is doomed, but MKKS doesn't even get to have its remnants absorbed by the merciful Blood Spirits.  Poof, they just die...   
« Last Edit: 05 April 2019, 13:18:13 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 05 April 2019, 17:09:11 »
Thread necromancy in full flux...   Someone has to do it, so why not me.  Careful; I may have flung some poo once or thrice.   >:D :o 8) :o

I'm a fan of the doomed Kindraa Mick-Krease-Kline-Sainze.  Technically, the whole Clan is doomed, but MKKS doesn't even get to have its remnants absorbed by the merciful Blood Spirits.  Poof, they just die...

Thanks for raising the dead!

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 05 April 2019, 19:04:37 »
I always though they had the best names for Naval Units:

1. Jungle Heat/Fire Eater -Sovetskii Soyuz-class Heavy Cruiser
2. Reaver Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser
3. Rage Lola III-class Destroyer
4. Anathma Lola III-class Destroyer
5. Rancor Lola III-class Destroyer
6. Firetender Vincent Mk. 42-class Corvette
7. Firehold Carrack-class Transport

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 05 April 2019, 19:05:32 »
I always though they had the best names for Naval Units:

1. Jungle Heat/Fire Eater -Sovetskii Soyuz-class Heavy Cruiser
2. Reaver Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser
3. Rage Lola III-class Destroyer
4. Anathma Lola III-class Destroyer
5. Rancor Lola III-class Destroyer
6. Firetender Vincent Mk. 42-class Corvette
7. Firehold Carrack-class Transport

I enjoy them as well!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 05 April 2019, 19:11:06 »
Just when you thought the poop flingers were dead and forgotten, they're back. all my fault, though as I linked this in another thread to help someone out.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 05 April 2019, 19:19:56 »
I am putting together a Kindraa Mick kreese force and I need aero fighter suggestions: the kindraa is noted for its expertise in naval and upper atomsophere fighting. What aero fighters do you all suggest from the front line Omni fighter bench?

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 05 April 2019, 19:35:55 »
Just when you thought the poop flingers were dead and forgotten

More than a few if them were scooped up by the Goliath Scorpions. There are some real fun remnants scattered through out the Imperio.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #85 on: 06 April 2019, 06:23:46 »
I am putting together a Kindraa Mick kreese force and I need aero fighter suggestions: the kindraa is noted for its expertise in naval and upper atomsophere fighting. What aero fighters do you all suggest from the front line Omni fighter bench?

You can't go wrong with Turks and Visigoths.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 06 April 2019, 22:26:16 »
You can't go wrong with Turks and Visigoths.

Thanks I am having a hard time with camp specs lately does any one have aero or warship Picts of mick kreese you can share?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #87 on: 07 April 2019, 04:30:53 »
Thanks I am having a hard time with camp specs lately does any one have aero or warship Picts of mick kreese you can share?

I think it might be down, I know there were several complaints about it from users here.

The more I look into it, the Hydaspes looks like a Mandrill style fighter. That, and the Kirghiz is also listed as having various manufacturers.  I think these are up your alley.  Check them out yourself.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2019, 05:04:20 by rebs »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 07 April 2019, 15:53:54 »
I think it might be down, I know there were several complaints about it from users here.

The more I look into it, the Hydaspes looks like a Mandrill style fighter. That, and the Kirghiz is also listed as having various manufacturers.  I think these are up your alley.  Check them out yourself.

Thanks both are great designs. Much appreciated

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #89 on: 08 April 2019, 01:14:55 »
The poor 'ol Mandrils needed one of those 'This is our Get along T-shirts' they self sabotaged more than the Greek Gods.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/