Author Topic: Shrapnel 14 - Thoughts? Reviews? Rage? Post it here!  (Read 2239 times)

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
Shrapnel 14 - Thoughts? Reviews? Rage? Post it here!
« on: 15 September 2023, 09:43:53 »
Shrapnel 14 is out today! There is some really great stuff in this one! Let us know what you think!

If you don't have it yet, get it here: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-shrapnel-issue-14-the-official-battletech-magazine

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Shrapnel 14 - Thoughts? Reviews? Rage? Post it here!
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2023, 15:51:58 »
Author's Notes for Legion of the Dead: A "culture article" for the Marian Hegemony, rather than a formal Unit Digest, the backgrounds of the characters are intended to showcase life in the Hegemony in the late 3140s/early 3150s, and what sort of things could get someone remanded to the Cohors Morituri.  Not just psychotics and base criminals, but also people who followed the dictates of their conscience in contravention of Caesar's will, or crossed the wrong Senator. 

Checking the Era Report/FM: 3145, Shattered Fortress, and Empire Alone battle records, it appeared that the Cohors Morituri remained on garrison duty throughout most of the recent fighting.  This means that, compared to the battered regular Legio formations, the Morituri are, in fact, one of the strongest and freshest combat units in the Hegemony as of 3152.

Given the mish-mash of personalities thrown into such a penal unit, it'd make a great RPG setting for those inclined to deploy alongside a "sordida duodecim."  Plus, there's the chance of doing well enough to get a pardon, contingent on taking on special ops for the Ordo Vigilis (Suicide Squad-style).
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2023, 19:06:54 »
in my first two published works that aren't RATs, i've been able to write lore for both the Highlanders and Fidelis. who should i rarget next?  :laugh:

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2023, 19:21:22 »
Just a couple of little things I specifically enjoyed.

That detail in the Indicass profile where they were "gently" dropping asteroid-sized icebergs onto the planet to provide water for the colonists was pretty damn cool. These Planet Digests have been outstanding and I hope there are many more to come!

Also liked the detail of one of the first Fidelis/Stone's Shadows using an Iron Cheetah. Any time this new old monster pops up in canon makes me so happy, especially in the hands of a Jaguar.

An Urbie COPS show is now canon. I can't even.  :laugh:

Really enjoying these Voices of the Sphere articles a lot. They give great insight into the dirtside perspective in the current era that really adds to the flavor of things. I hope these keep coming.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2023, 19:34:30 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2023, 21:57:40 »
Also liked the detail of one of the first Fidelis/Stone's Shadows using an Iron Cheetah. Any time this new old monster pops up in canon makes me so happy, especially in the hands of a Jaguar.

the pilot of that Iron Cheetah, Marcus Osis, is a deep cut from MechCommander 1. he's been a POW since Bulldog and is very very grumpy

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2023, 22:00:33 »
the pilot of that Iron Cheetah, Marcus Osis, is a deep cut from MechCommander 1. he's been a POW since Bulldog and is very very grumpy

This brings me unconscionable amounts of niche joy.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2023, 17:57:27 »
It appears that Interstellar Expeditions is doing well enough in the IlClan Era to scoop up the old competition...

I would definitely like to see some sort of post-IlClan update file for IE, to build upon the material in ISP3.

BaachicLitNerd

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
  • Tactical Shushing Action
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2023, 07:16:42 »
I hope people like playing with the Scourge. I had fun with the challenge of tying up all their lose ends and turning them into an OpFor who would be fun to fight.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2023, 03:30:39 »
I don't have this one yet, but it has the new/old shadowhawk variants? Are these customs or for genera use within a certain era?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2023, 10:53:45 »
They’re both production variants

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2023, 19:39:34 »
I hope people like playing with the Scourge. I had fun with the challenge of tying up all their lose ends and turning them into an OpFor who would be fun to fight.

As someone who's been waiting patiently for the new Red Hunter SOG to be fleshed out, I thoroughly enjoyed this  :smilie_party_cheers:

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2023, 19:42:59 »
Shrapnel 14 is out today! There is some really great stuff in this one! Let us know what you think!

Doc - you delivered another great Scorpion story. Thanks!  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2023, 20:13:03 »
I really dug this issue, from the silliness of the anime computer to millennium marauder to the zombie WOB mech, this one ran the gamut!

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2023, 20:33:44 »
Doc - you delivered another great Scorpion story. Thanks!  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Glad you liked it! Thanks!

Register