Author Topic: Merc Unit: The Testament of Aran. “The Testers”  (Read 2809 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Merc Unit: The Testament of Aran. “The Testers”
« on: 22 December 2018, 19:16:14 »
Hello all,

Since it seems that our RPG in the BT universe will continue after our Irian Fists small campaign, I have decided to start a small merc unit myself to test stuff before I introduce it to the players in our main game.

I want to do this because some stuff we introduced in the Irian Fists games were not properly used. Sometimes it was because I did not fully understand the rule properly (English not being the native language of my group) or misread it, and sometimes because its tabletop implications wrre not fully understood and its application was too weak ofr too strong given the strength of our gaming party. Not knowing what kind of impact the new elements would have on the battlefield was a problem.

So at the same time that I will be running the Illyrian Palatinate campaign (WIP, hopefully taking flight in January after the holidays) I will be running a small merc unit to test new rules myself. I plan to use the unit in the New Colony Region in the 3030-40’s (quite a mess around at the time), but that can change easily since I plan to use a fairly generic unit.

So here comes the basic design for the unit:

The Testament of Aran. AKA “The Testers”

Jacov Aran surveyed the inside of the Will of Aran, appreciating the machines inside. He still couldn’t believe his stroke of luck. When less than a year ago he had been notified that his granduncle was dead he had been sad, since he had always appreciated the old man, but he had been sure that his choice of career as a mechwarrior was not appreciated by him, like it was not appreciated by the rest of his family.

Reality had been quite different. It seemed that Aldus Aran, the founder and sole owner of the semiconductors company Aran SC had been quite enamoured with what he had thought an exciting life of penchant, chivalry and élan, and so Jacov was dear to him for having pursued physical war instead of corporate war as a career. Jacov knew that Aldus’ vision of the mechwarrior life (especially that of a militia mechwarrior like himself) was way less flavourful and flashy than what the old man had thought, but he was certainly not disputing the will of Aldus. It left him several million c-bills and a Leopard dropship on the condition that they would be invested in the creation of a new mercenary company. Obviously Jacov had resigned his fairly bleak life as a militia mechwarrior and pounced at the idea with all his might.

He had had to fight his own cousins there, that saw such a big investment contranatura (and putting a significant dent on the Aran SC assets’) and sued the will. Still, the testament of the old man held and Jacov found himself with enemies in his home turf and the possibility of building his own mercenary company. He named the company the Testament of Aran in honor of the old man’s will and to irk his cousins.

After a few months building the unit, the unit now had the Leopard dropship, his own Warhammer, that he had bought from the militia stores because he liked his mech and knew it well, a Wolverine, a customized shadow hawk that he had bought in an auction, and Rifleman. The last one of the mechs had been a demand of Aldus’ will as well, and he was not jeopardizing his good luck by contradicting its usefulness. Luckily his agents had managed to find a customized variant with an improved combat computer.

The shadow hawk had had its LRMs removed and replaced by an SRM4 rack, fed from the same bin as the SRM2 in its head and used the available tonnage to improve the jump jets to more powerful versions, putting it on par with a Wolverine in performance. He liked those changes, since they had allowed him to buy it from a bankrupt owner in the auction.

Jacov had also procured himself with the services of a jump infantry unit and a karnov, and a trio of Pegasus hovercraft. He considered that those rounded up his force nicely. Now it was just a matter of finding an employer, something the 25 year old thought would be easy….

TOE (in alpha strike terms)
“221”. Warhammer (32). Piloted by Jacov Aran
Rifleman (31). AA targeting + Combat Computer
Wolverine 6R (30)
Shadow Hawk, Modified (30) (same stats as the wolverine 6R)

Antimech jump infantry + karnov (22)

3 Pegasus hovers (75)

Leopard dropship.

All in all, 220 Alpha Strike points (plus improvements in skill level and other stuff) plus the Leopard.

The force is fairly heavy in ammo dependency, but fairly easy logistically: they only use SRM and AC5 ammo (and some MG)

Will keep fleshing this up. I have left the origin area of the unit vague on purpose to be able to move it around physically and in the timeline until I am comfortable with it :) Other areas like the other mechwarriors and the names of other units are still in the making. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Xavi
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 04:50:55 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Merc Unit: The Testament of Aran. “The Testers”
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2018, 21:01:11 »
Looks interesting!  If you need any help with personalities for the unit, just say the word!  :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2018, 11:35:35 »
I have decided to rework the background of the unit somewhat, but they will still be "little kells" (and named derisively like that by family members) having been able to build the unit though an unexpected inheritance.

Background on the mechs is more or less going to be like this.

WARHAMMER "1-1-2". Belongs to the unit commander. Bought from militia used model, but in good shape and well maintained. OK pilot, but no real experience as a lance or company commander and will need to learn fast. The mech is named after the boxing punch series. It is a fairly lame name, but the unit's creator thinks it is cool in his young age.

RIFLEMAN. Custom variant. Still unsure how they got it. Piloted by a girl with war trauma: her family was killed in an air raid and she entered the military to avenge them. She is obsessed with not leaving a single flyer alive. Will not get along very well with the jump infantry and their karnov. She is a great shot, but not a great tactician or pilot.

WOLVERINE. Standard variant. New mech. Acquired through normal channels at normal book price from the manufacturer. No idea on he pilot yet. The mech has no name either.

SHADOW HAWK "Maverick". Very old model. So-so shape. Owned by her operator, a merc who was indebted to the banks after heavy repairs. the creator of the unit bought the debt and now she is indebted to the creator of the unit. The mech is so customized after more than 200 years of combat that is effectively a Wolverine 6M. The Shadow Hawk is unlikely to have a single component belonging to the original model except maybe the decoration of the cockpit. Veteran merc mechwarrior.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2018, 11:41:25 »
So the Shadow Hawk has a Large Laser, then?  ???

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2018, 11:48:14 »
Yup. LL in the shoulder mount, one ML in each arm and SRM in the head and right torso. It is a franken-hawk in a way.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2018, 12:34:10 »
Nice!  :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2018, 21:35:04 »
What rules are you using to fleshing out the pilots and crews? 

as for the Rifleman pilot, might I offer up:
Mary-Ann "Swatter" Berkowitz calls her mech the "Flyswatter"
Her personal sidearms are a pair of Revolver in a custom gunbelt, but where she shines is with her Zeus Heavy Rifle, at long range target shooting.

For the Wolverine might I offer
Morgan Jacovik, former Cornet with the Taurian Concordat's Concordat Cuirassiers before he was shot out of his family mech a Thunderbolt 5SS by a Warhammer 6D.  He calls his new ride "Logan".
Spent 7 years Dispossessed, working as both a As-tech and Infantry.  Wears a Magnum Auto-Pistol on his right hip and has a well loved and maintained Imperator 2894A1 SMG that he uses for self-defense.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2018, 02:33:07 »
In game terms, we play alpha strike, so I am using those for the tabletop rules. that means that only skill levels are used.

For the RPG equivalent (not used in this instance, since I am only using these for TT tests, the rest being background story) we use a variant of what we used in the "collaborative merc unit" thread. Characters have 125 points to bukld their assts and character. The main characters have 4 main skills (Social, tech, knowledge soldier (including physical activity)) and 4 piloting skills (mech, fighter, VTOL, vehicle). All main skills start at Green and the Piloting Skills start at NA. And then you build from there. :)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2018, 06:57:23 »
The more I read about dropships, raids and stuff in the BT universe, the more I think that raiding speed is more important than firepower. Get in fast, get out faster. That might make me change the Warhammer and Rifleman to some speed 10 mechs. And yet, having some AA capacity seems important in the way I see the BT universe. So maybe I will be searching for a kind of speedier rifleman (alpha strike move of 10") or other mech with double AC5...

Same for the support vessels: if I want low altitude drops, VTOLs might be more useful than pegasus hovertanks, so I might be reviewing that or having both and using one or the other depending on the mission.

Here comes the background for the pilot of the RFL (or whatever anti-AA mech I end up using) and the Shadow Hawk:

RUTH PALLARS (codename: Hate).
Ruth comes from a blue collar family. She lost her family to an air raid that hit the production plant where they were working. That had a profound impact on young Ruth. After some time grieving her loss, her feelings set themselves to became hate for anything that flies. That drove her to the local militia hiring hall, where she enlisted and drove her way to the AA elements of the unit by her late teens.

Since she spent most of her free time in the training simulators shooting down aircraft, she developed a keen ability as an antiair gunner and was assigned to the crew of Pike AA tank. However, she was obsessed in her anti-AA attitude, and did not work well with others, including the crew of her tank. Still, her CO wanted to take advantage of her skills and she was promoted to be a MechWarrior (there were some major groans in the unit about this) to pilot the unit's Jagermech after a crash MechWarrior capacitation course. She was quite lame when it came to move her machine or making positioning decisions, but she knew how to shot down fliers.

However, despite her CO's protection, Ruth was expelled from her unit for not getting along with her XO and breaking the arm of one of the units ASF pilots in a drunken bar brawl just before their planet was hit by a raiding party. So she drifted to the mercenary hiring hall when Jacob Aran found himself in the lookout for a pilot for the Rifleman he had acquired. She found the ride to be good (and suggested some improvements to its weapon calibrations) and did beat the other contestants for the pilot position in the shooting contest that Aran did set up. So she was in.

When out of her mech, Ruth favours a flechette heavy pistol for personal defense, but truly excels with her G-150 Hunting Rifle, customized to bird hunting and long range target shooting.

She goes by the monicker of "Hate", not because of personal choice, but because that is how the ASF pilots of her old unit named her.

She effectivley has a mental problem. But makes for a nice character when you have fliers around.

AINA OLIVERAS (Codename: Piglet)
Aina's family has had the Maverick for as long as there is familiar memory and they have been plying the merc trade for even longer. There is a fairly convoluted story about how they supposedly acquired it in the first succession war, but Aina thinks it is a bunch of BS and that the machine was probably stolen sometime in the 2800s. In any case the Maverick is certainly an example of the "old hatchet that has had 7 handles and 5 heads" as well as having suffered the uses and abuses of past owners and operators, including several custom jobs. As far as she is concerned the thing is that she loves being the pilot of the Maverick and hates the fact that she and her mother had had to auction it.

The last repairs on the Maverick skyrocketed when they had to replace its gyro. Not willing to pay for it, the mercenary unit where they had been working decided to ditch them and search  for a replacement medium instead.

Stranded in the planet and with a huge debt to pay for the mech's repair, Aina and her crew were forced to auction the machine. And Jacob Aran came calling.

The young Merc commander did not buy the Maverick outright, bit instead paid it's debt and refinanced it: now Aina and her mother (the Maverick's senior astech) are indebted to him instead of he banks, but are still (officially) the owners of the Maverick even if as deeply indebted to Jacob Aran as they were to the banks. Obviously they could not pass up his demand for them to join his new mercenary outfit, but it suited them to be in the Merc road again.

Previous pilots and techs of the Maverick have modified it in ways that makes it difficult to be recognized as a Shadow Hawk anymore. She carries a large laser in her shoulder mount, a second medium laser in her left arm and her LRM rack has been removed and replaced with a SRM4 fed by the same ton of ammo as the SRM2 in its head mount. The extra available tonnage has been used to improve the jump jets and increase the armor. Specs-wise it is more similar to a Wolverine 6M than a Shadow Hawk.

The Maverick came with a full complement of astechs as well as a medium recovery vehicle used to haul her around. There are some family members attached to the unit, being effectively an extended family, but so far jacob Aran has not thought that this will be any problem. the fact that they dress similarly and look very loyal to each other does not bother him either.

Aina herself is quite reckless, and has been defined as "a young wild boar" by her mother Alba. When operating out of her mech she favours a flamboyant attire and a rugged Magnum Auto-Pistol on his right hip. Both her and her crew have well loved and maintained Imperator 2894A1 SMGs that they use for self-defense.

Thanks to DOC_Agren for the personal weapon selections :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2018, 08:01:08 »
If you're looking for a 5/8 "Rifleman", Sarna has a Trebuchet variant (the 7K) that went with an AC/5, PPC and SRM-2.  I think that could easily be adapted to two AC/5s.

As for a Warhammer analog, the Crab might be the closest thing you can get at 5/8 in 3025.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2018, 08:13:27 »
With some tweaking you can get a Grand Dragon carrying twin PPCs, but the heat load will be unbearable.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2018, 08:19:43 »
Heck, a stock Dragon could switch to two AC/5s with little trouble (rip out the LRM-10, both tons of ammo for it, and the rear medium, and you have 8 tons... it already has two tons of AC/5 ammo, and would still have a Medium Laser as back up).

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2018, 08:49:19 »
Great suggestions everybody, thanks!

I am somewhat torn here. I like the Warhammer and Rifleman, and we all know that a mech needs to be likeable. If I wanted to go for pure utility, the quockdraw is supposed to be a try at substituting the rifleman (how was that going to work still puzzles me since they are nothing alike) and is fast and jumps. But I hate the creature with a passion. So ugly!

Still, fast mech seem the way to go for a raiding design. Hmmm.... Will sleep over it. Maybe a rifleman with an improved engine and a trio of jets...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2018, 10:21:41 »
My players are great researchers when their interests are at stake. LOL.  They found the planetlifter http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Planetlifter fpr transporting their own slower mechs (warhammers). I will copy them for my own unit since it solves the slow speed recovery issues with heavy mechs. I might end up needing a Leopard CV instead of a normal leopard...

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2018, 11:56:26 »
Planetlifter seems to be a very much far behind the lines type of unit. Not sure that's what you were looking for with a raiding unit.

If you are looking for a bit more speed, then maybe the Ostroc or Ostsol? The Dragon isn't bad either. Or if you really want a 70 ton Mech maybe the Grasshopper? It moves 4/6/4.

Moving into the medium category, you could get a Griffin. It will match the Shadowhawk and Wolverine in speed. So will the Dervish.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #15 on: 25 December 2018, 06:55:18 »
Planetlifter seems to be a very much far behind the lines type of unit. Not sure that's what you were looking for with a raiding unit.
At least in alpha strike terms it is actually tougher than most conventional fighters, some light ASF and most light mechs. Not a hitter itself, but can withstand some damage. Not much, but some :) Can certaily be parked a few miles away from the conflict area, with some building, wood or hill cover, and waiting for the mechs to run to the extraction point without having to risk the dropship in the operation, that cna then be parked a few hundred kilometers from it in a more remote 8and less dangeorus area. Or that would be the idea.

I am considering a dragon as the support "heavy" of the unit. The dervish does not cut it for me aesthetically, even if game-wise would be a sound choice :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 25 December 2018, 08:05:03 »
Another point in the Dragon's favor is you can just tack Rifleman arms on it (minus the Large Lasers)... Frankenmech FTW!  :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2018, 16:25:23 »
I think I will be going for an hybrid in the end. Since this is supposed to be a test unit for things that I will throw in the face of the PC, having a set combo of mechs (that are not what *they* are fielding but what *I* like) seems a recipe for not getting things right. As such I will set up a TRANSPORT emporium: The testament of Aran will be a dropship and jumpship company that hires its services to mercenaries. That will allow me to test different combinations in different environments without stretching it out.

So the Testament of Aran will be the log of that Leopard's captain. In the same way as star trek has captain's logs. They will control a certain amount of transport assets, including 2 jumpships, and at least 3 dropships (leopard, drost, mule) and some ASF, and hire themselves to groundpounders. The captain will be filling reports for their own HQ.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will certainly be using several of them. :)

Cheers,
Xavi

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2019, 05:14:51 »
After talking with my players about this idea I had, they suggested significant ans sensible changes, so I am taking them.

The testers will be a spinoff of Aran Shipping, a freight forwarder with significant assets in the FWL, Lyran Comonwealth and Capellan Confederation. Aran Shipping is testing the waters to enter the mercenary market. They are starting with a small transport division that might grow to include more assets and end up being a true mercenary company. Right now they will start by hiring their transport services to other mercenary units. They have already established contacts with the logistics division of the Lone Wolves, since they tend to act in short campaigns, what Aran Shipping wants for the first steps of their Testers.

The assets available to the new division are 2 operating groups: the first group is formed by a used Leopard dropship and a Merchant jumpship. The second has a brand new Union dropship along with an Invader class jumpship. The union also carries an infantry platoon and a pair of loader mechs for its own use and protection. The company has derived 2 Stingray, 2 Lightnings and 2 Centurions ASF to the fledgling division from their assets as well.

The new division is lead by Jacob Aran a maverick member of the family that enrolled in the planetary militia instead of taking his expected place in the Aran Shipping's board of directors. His appointment as CEO of the new division has created a lot of discontent among other familiar branches, that are not happy with this move. Jacob's cousin Alice is specially keen on obstructing him, since she believes that she should be the one leading it since she proposed the opportunity to their common grandparent and leader of the company. Jacob used to pilot a Stinger in his old militia unit, but since he belong to an extremely rich family has ensured that the massive investment of creating the new company has some side money to acquire a brand new DC Stinger LAM for his personal use.

And so, 2 jumpships appear in Galatea's space carrying 2 mercenary transport dropships as well as several mules that transport supplies from Atreus...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2019, 11:16:26 »
Well, the Droppers account for four of the ASF. Where are the other two carried? In the Small Craft bays of the Jumpers?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #20 on: 03 January 2019, 11:41:25 »
Might be. I was just listing options for deployment really ;) I was just counting on them being an extra feature that a merc unit could contract when they contract the transport ("and for an additional 10% you also get a pair of Centurion ASF! Upgrade to Stingrays for only 0,099M cbills more!") but them being carried in the jumpships is a clear possibility. Thanks for pointing that out.