Author Topic: Dissect a CSO paintjob  (Read 4182 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
Dissect a CSO paintjob
« on: 17 February 2011, 08:44:01 »
Hey guys,

So check this mech out... http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=667

I'm wanting to do something similar with a couple of my mechs so what do you think he did here (since he hasn't seen my email or posts)...

- Primed the mech
- Painted it black (light coat)
- Dry brushed blue or gray over parts of the mech?

I'm headed out to another city today to a friends place and a major hobby store that has Warhammer 40k paints and figure I might as well get whatever I need while I'm there.
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
Re: Dissect a CSO paintjob
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2011, 12:57:17 »
Ross is scarce a lot these days, so I doubt he's intentionally ignoring you.

If had to guess, I'd say he primed black, painted a base coat with the proper color on the chosen locations, then dry brushed on a bluish-gray over the blue and some metallics.

CDT Special Agent #343

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2011, 14:06:59 »
No idea about what he used for primer color, which would be irrelevant anyway if he got complete coverage.
I would guess medium blue or blue-gray basecoat with overall black wash. Drybrush/highlight with lighter blue-gray.
Barrels were maybe dark gray with lighter gray drybrush. Hard to say if the base was a dark metallic gray or flat.
Red doesn't look like it was drybrushed, but probably washed in black.
Blacklining may have been leftover from the general wash, but if touched up, it wasn't too "hard" (i.e. was dilute black).
Cockpit was white in the corners, and blended in with yellow and a touch of orange.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2011, 15:10:40 »
Yeah, haven't seen Ross in...oh gee, I dunno how long. Since the board reboot at least, and probably longer.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2011, 03:11:44 »
I've started to work on my Warhammer IIC with the color's outlined here.

I am using Citadel paints and am using their gunmetal for the barrels of the Warhammer and I will see about mixing up a dark blue with a little bit of grey and then do the entire mech base coat then I will use the blood red for accents and wash it all in Badab Black once it's done.

Whatcha think?

Sidenote: Can you believe I forgot to get just basic black? I have the wash but not the basic black color itself :(
Colonel Mason Grimm

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2011, 14:55:43 »
Washing the gunmetal with a black or deep brown is almsot mandatory if using GW Chainmail or Boltgun Metal, but the results are almost always very good.  GWS will council you to do a bit of highlighting with a light drybruch of Mithril Silver to finish the look off, but honestly, there's a lot of far cheaper craftstore metallics that will do the same job for much cheaper.

I see that you're in Ontario.  If you've got a city up there that's big enough to host a hobbyshop carryign GW stuff then there's probably a WalMart around there somewhere that has paitns that will look good with a little dillution and cost around 1/6th what you'll pay for GW's normal line and 1/9th what you pay for GWS metallics.

-Jackmc
« Last Edit: 19 February 2011, 14:59:19 by Jackmc »

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2011, 17:54:22 »
I've learned a lot while working on these two mechs (both of which are bathing in acetone right now).

It is better to have too little paint and have to do a second coat
Always wipe off the raised surfaces after you blackwash cause it makes EVERYTHING look dirty, dark and or not existent.
Using Enamel Primer from a Spray Can sucks as you cannot brush it and it just seems to apply too thicky
When it looks like some animals backside, don't be afraid to acetone bath that bad boy and start over!
You will not be able to paint like Savage Coyote the first time out of the gate!!!
Colonel Mason Grimm

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2011, 22:46:54 »
All good lessons to learn, and as you go, you will end up with more and more until you start to forget again

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2011, 18:12:34 »
I've learned a lot while working on these two mechs (both of which are bathing in acetone right now).

It is better to have too little paint and have to do a second coat
-A good rule of thumb is ALWAYS do 2 coats. This insures your color is even and thin enough to not hide detail.
Always wipe off the raised surfaces after you blackwash cause it makes EVERYTHING look dirty, dark and or not existent.
-If your getting that effect then your wash may be too thick (are you using a pre-made or mixing your own?). I wouldn't recommend wiping off the mech in any way short of a small damp brush when the wash starts to pool. If you are using acrylic paints and they haven't 100 percent cured yet then you may end up taking paint off as the water in the wash re-activates the medium.
Using Enamel Primer from a Spray Can sucks as you cannot brush it and it just seems to apply too thicky
-Enamel by its very nature is going to be thick, at least compared to acrylic primers. There are many great brands of readily available spray primers out there that most of us at CSO swear by.  ;)
When it looks like some animals backside, don't be afraid to acetone bath that bad boy and start over!
-You have just learned one of the hardest concepts to grasp when getting into this hobby. Just for fun do this; paint a mini to the best of your ability. I mean one you are just really proud of. Put it in a box. Now after about 2 or 3 years go back and look at that piece compared to what you are doing now. The difference will amaze you.

You will not be able to paint like Savage Coyote the first time out of the gate!!!
-You learn fast young Padawan, I sense much strength in you. We all had to start somewhere and at the top is not the most typical place. :)

Welcome to what is surely one of the most rewarding and satisfying of hobbies. And as always feel free to contact any of us at CSO if you have any questions. I think I have seen you on the forums over there already so your on the right track.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2011, 02:45:52 »
Yeah, haven't seen Ross in...oh gee, I dunno how long. Since the board reboot at least, and probably longer.

Funny,  I saw him in person just the other day...   :)

He's just been busy with RL stuff.  He'll show up now and again.

One of the tips I would give you is to take your time.  Don't get overeager to get onto the next step.  Even acrylic paints need time to dry, set up, let you see the small flaws you have left.   Take your time and be patient, and keep practicing!
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2011, 08:56:28 »
Ross did contact me actually. Having dated a few teachers in my time I'm guessing report cards, parent teacher conferences, month end reports, qualification courses, poet grading and just life in general has kept him busy busy.

He game me a few great suggestions with mixing paints. None of which I have lol (those specific types). I'm going to keep practicing using the centurion (2 parts versus 8+).
Colonel Mason Grimm

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2011, 13:26:46 »
I fyou don't mind the soak and scrub, then yeah, practiceing on a mini until you have it looking the way you are begining to want, is a great way to go. A lot cheaper then, oh say, my method of buying a few at a time, painting them up, and sticking them away to clean when I get around to it.

— From a post on rpg.net

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2011, 14:21:06 »
Well it will allow me to assemble all the cool ones and not botch them up. Last night getting the Madcat together was a bit of a challenge when I pinned the one foot/leg to the base so that it could be a dynamic pose. I do NOT want to have to do that too many times to the same model LOL  [tickedoff]
Colonel Mason Grimm

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2011, 16:56:03 »
no. That gets to be a serious pain

— From a post on rpg.net

Register