Author Topic: Where do you get your stuff?  (Read 4272 times)

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
Where do you get your stuff?
« on: 25 February 2011, 20:25:21 »
Some players (like me), don't have easy access to a a lot of the supplies/paints mentioned here.  I just got a Hobby Lobby here, so I now have some (wonderful as it may be) limited selections of the military and acryl line of Testors paint.  They also have all the Apple Barrel/Delta acrylic craft paints as well as some limited tools and such.  My local (non-btech) game store has a very not-stocked rack of GW paints--so there is a little (and I stress little) something to choose from there.

What about Reaper and P3 and some of the other paints you all talk about here--any favorite stores that have an online presence--that also, hopefully--support CGL products?  Or maybe are just really good to deal with? I can obviously do a web search and come up with vendors, but I would like to deal with good people that help this hobby.
Maker of big things.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Where do you get your stuff?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2011, 00:46:55 »
I get most of mine at walmart, or the local stationary/art store. However, when I do get to town, I often stop in the GW store and ocassionally pick up paint.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

MEP

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2011, 14:24:07 »
I'm lucky that I have two stores I can go to for miniatures and supplies that are pretty consistently reliable, and there are a bunch of other hobby stores in the area that carry some of what I might need if those two fail me on a particular day. I can get Vallejo, Reaper and GW paints pretty easily though (no one carries P3 around here anymore though).

BUT... were I not so lucky, I would just hit up TheWarStore.com or some other online retailer for our hobby (if I ever order online, I tend to price shop a bit). I prefer to support my local game store, but there are some things they just don't want to carry for me (Vallejo Acrylic Paint thinner which I think provides better results than standard flow aid and certainly better than just water) and I occasionally have to go online for. They also have a notably inconsistent supply of green/grey stuff which I sometimes need sooner rather than later.

The aforementioned warstore does a pretty good job of keeping battletech books/minis in stock. They even have a lot of the out of print stuff sitting in a warehouse somewhere (check those packages for roaches though :( I open them outside and take the goods in while leaving the box in the trash). I like thewarstore because they have pretty decent prices, good shipping terms and are easy to deal with. Never been disappointed except with the one box of roaches (Mercenaries Supplemental btw,  probably sitting on the same warehouse shelf for close to a decade).
In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2011, 17:55:34 »
For medium-grade craft paints, I get them anywhere that sells them: Walmart, Fred Meyer, Michael's, etc.
For higher-grade paints like Reaper or Vallejo, I generally buy them on eBay. Otherwise, I have to drive an hour up to Portland to the dedicated mini-gaming store.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2011, 04:14:03 »
For my primer I go to Walmart for the Colorplace Grey Primer (works awesome so far)
For my medium end paints that aren't specifically suggested by any tutorial or CSO guy I go to a local hobby store for ModelMaster
For my high end GW paints I have to drive an hour to a gaming store in my old hometown (when I see my gaming battletech buddies I do this)
For my high end Vallejo paints there is a local hobby shop about 15 minutes away that carries this
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2011, 04:20:41 »
Primer: Walmart or ACE Hardware
Medium Grade paints: Hobby Lobby or Michael's
High Grade Piants: Hobby Town (Vallejo, GW), Castle Games (P3), Online (Reaper)
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2011, 16:53:21 »
Primer: Homedepot (Krylon Grey Primer if i'm doing a lot of minis)
Local Hobby Store: If I want GW paints & Minis not ordered off of IWM, but my local hobby store has a poor selection of minis and almost all are 3075+ era stuff.
Hobby Lobby: Live there, most of my supplies come from hobby lobby.
Brushes: Also most from hobby lobby, but I found a  place that sells the good Winsor stuff in the city.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2011, 22:16:50 »
Most hobby supplies:  Michael's

Fine hobby supplies (W/N brushes, brush care, etc): http://www.dickblick.com/

Most other hobby paint supplies (including those below): http://www.thewarstore.com/

Reaper paint: http://www.reapermini.com/

P3 paint: http://privateerpress.com/
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2011, 22:23:02 »
Thanks Bedwyr, that's kinda what I was looking fer.
Maker of big things.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2011, 22:30:28 »
Both Dick Blick and Cool Mini or Not offer the brush set I push at every turn: Windsor Newton series 7 kolinsky sable: miniature series.  They don't make you brilliant, but they do make life easier.

Get at least a #1 and #0 yesterday.  #00 and #000 if you want, but the sharp tips are enough on the others.  One brush costs the same as a mini and will last forever.  You will thank me.  Promise.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.