Author Topic: Advice on setting up a intro-tech merc campaign  (Read 3813 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Advice on setting up a intro-tech merc campaign
« on: 23 October 2012, 10:16:14 »
So I have introduced my gaming friends to battletech through an ironman melee (1 mech-each, freeforall, you get a new mech from the random list when your is destroyed, the win goes to the player with the most kills.) and they loved it and I think they would be interested in playing a merc campaign set in the 3rd/4th succession wars era.

So two things;

1. what is the best system to use for new players? MW3E or TOW? And how can I tie that into a random system for determining starting pilot/gunnery skills, do I want to?

and

2. I remember seeing in some book I can no longer find that there were tables for starting merc units determining type of dropship (I want to start them with a dropper) if they got a jumpship, their basic pilot/gunnery/experience level and what class of mech they started out piloting (I want to make that fair in 3025-era terms, all the tables I've seen make you pick a class yourself, and I want this to feel impartial.)

XTOL's table seems very helpful, it omits some of my favourite types from intro play like the PLG-1Z and MAD-4A, but I can deal with that. But it has no mercenary/periphery tables, which to too bad.

XTOL has a simple percentile of pilots in various experience classes and a broad generalization of the spread of unit weights, but only breaks this down into Light regiments, Medium and Heavy/Assault.

I want to use something like XTOL's system for pilots, but I am lost on random mech weight in cannon. I remember something along the lines of half of all mechs in service are mediums, with the remaining 50% made up of 20% light, 20% heavy and 10% assault, but that's all I really recall and that dimly.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Advice on setting up a intro-tech merc campaign
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2012, 11:15:56 »
1.  Why wouldn't you just let skills be whatever they work out when creating a RPG character ?

2.  The force creation & random skills tables for merc formations are for creating full rosters, not for the main characters.  You will find several different tables for those in the Merc series of books.
Mercenaries Handbook (3025)  Mercenaries Handbook (3055)  Field Manual Mercenaries (3060)  Field Manual Mercenaries: Revised (3067).  But all of those are for the NPC's of your TO&E.
The main characters (PC's) are just that so stick w/ what they create, IMHO.

3.  RAT's for mech generation can be found in a couple of those sources above.
You can also use the general RATs found in old BR rule books like he Compendium IIRC as well as the MW1 & MW2 RPG books.  Finally there is a RAT for Merc in FM:Updates & FM:3085 which might help you out w/ mechs found on the "D-F" tables that still list off a lot of L1 tech.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2012, 13:55:02 »
I'd say AToW is a bit more friendly for first timers to the RPG side of things than MW3ed/CBT:RPG.  The number crunching can seem daunting but once you wrap your head around it the character creation process is much faster and you don't have to worry about the horribly imbalanced random event tables of MW3ed.  Era Report 2750 and 3052 should contain close enough information for a 3025 campaign for adjusting AToW Affiliation data.  If you can't afford to pick all that up and don't have it already AToW also has the benefit of it is very easy to create your own content(new affiliation data and life modules) for, just make sure the XP your content costs matches how much goes to the player and you are golden.

Plus AToW Companion has some great stuff in it for PC run mercenary units and more balanced random event tables even if it is geared more for modern era.  More goodies beyond that as well too.  Could well be worth investing in the PDF.

Check page 42 of Xotl's PDF for Mercenary/Periphery General Mech tables.

And I too recommend letting character creation do all the work for randomizing skills.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2012, 01:25:37 »
Do mostly pre-made character generation, and give the players a couple of options they can take to tweak the characters (so they don't spend half the first game doing character generation).  From there, let them get some low-tech Mechs that they think are useful (Improved Commercial armor, 24 pts per ton, but any damage of 6+ pts gets a crit roll).  Let them have fun vs pirates and bandits for a while, then face an actual House force.  The first time a PPC hits them and it rolls on the crit table with every hit will be memorable.  Plus afterward with all the players all wanting that PPC for their Mech.

Let them have fun trying to keep their mechs repaired, in enough supplies, etc, then let them see what a House unit gets to play with (because a House unit doesn't have to turn a profit).  They can then choose if they want to become a House unit (with several assignments that are horrible) or keep their independence (with the loss of income/support) until the next time they get an offer.  As a merc they can choose the contracts they take, but as a House unit they get handed assignments.  If they are on a Periphery world, they are in worse shape, but can reinvent themselves (until a mail packet arrives with a list of their crimes/habits and they have to run away again).

If they get hired by a company, let them be paid part in C-Bills (acceptable anywhere, but the local Lord will tend to frown on you), part in the local scrip (only accepted in that House's realm), and part in whatever the company produces (don't take the job from the Fluffy Teddy Bear company).  The nice part is payment in whatever the company produces will be at cost for the company, rather than what they sell it for.  So if armor normally costs 10,000 C-Bills, and you agree to get 1 million C-Bills worth of armor, you might get 200-300 tons instead of just 100 tons.  So they get more 'money', but that money is harder to spend.

Give them basic choices when the players get to pick a Dropship.  An aerodyne can drop them roughly where they want to be on the battlefield (it flies over and they jump their Mechs out) and has more armor than a spheroid (higher max armor), but has lower cargo capacity (armor and structure ate up the tonnage).  A spheroid will give a higher scatter radius, but have larger cargo capacity (lower SI tonnage, and lower tonnage needed for same protection).  A passenger Dropship means they can carry extra infantry, rescuees, special mission personnel, etc.  A cargo Dropship will not drop them (or perform hostile pickup), but will have large cargo bays for goodies (personnel bays, repair equipment, etc) that have to be bought.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2012, 13:27:52 »
Specifically for 3025-play, I want to capture, at least at first the atmosphere of the early mission packs, is there a system for randomly assigning damage to opposing forces and the player's mechs?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2012, 14:18:17 »
Specifically for 3025-play, I want to capture, at least at first the atmosphere of the early mission packs, is there a system for randomly assigning damage to opposing forces and the player's mechs?
Historical: Brush Wars had rules on pre-existing damage plus I think there were rules for random Mech assignments for the wars in that book.
You could look into that for the former and use the latter if you manage to touch events in those years.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2012, 18:10:38 »

How about this:

D6 hits per Mech
Roll hit location for each hit
2d6 damage per hit.

If this results in damage exceeding armor, take excess from adjacent location, but moving away from the center torso if possible (so excess damage to the left torso will be applied to the left arm, but excess damage damage to the left arm has to go to the left torso).

Move 2d6 pts of armor around to cover weakened areas as a result.  This is per unit, not per hit.

This can be used for vehicles, but ignore critical hits.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2012, 20:21:48 »
Historical: Brush Wars had rules on pre-existing damage plus I think there were rules for random Mech assignments for the wars in that book.
You could look into that for the former and use the latter if you manage to touch events in those years.

Awesome!!! That was exactly what i was looking for!!

Between XTOL's list, this and the dropship/Jumpship assignment tables from the merc books, I am good to go!

A.E. Housman

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2012, 22:20:57 »
Note that you can find more damage tables in Solaris: The Reaches if you want some variety.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2012, 13:46:18 »
As already said by others, you and your players don't need to worry about finances and logistics of the mercenary force the player characters are in. Unless mercenary force is small and player characters in question are tasked for that. Otherwise player characters could be part of lance or up to company, small part in battalion+ size mercenary force. ATOW has answer for payment of mercenary player characters. Just keep in mind those C-bills go straight to characters pockets and mercenary force covers maintenance and repair costs of the 'Mechs and other heavy hardware. Seriously: salary of the player characters in ATOW is way too small to fund 'Mech maintenance and repairs.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2012, 15:08:36 »
As already said by others, you and your players don't need to worry about finances and logistics of the mercenary force the player characters are in. Unless mercenary force is small and player characters in question are tasked for that. Otherwise player characters could be part of lance or up to company, small part in battalion+ size mercenary force. ATOW has answer for payment of mercenary player characters. Just keep in mind those C-bills go straight to characters pockets and mercenary force covers maintenance and repair costs of the 'Mechs and other heavy hardware. Seriously: salary of the player characters in ATOW is way too small to fund 'Mech maintenance and repairs.

If we go for it, they'll be playing members of a VERY small unit.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2012, 14:55:47 »
Hmmm, this is looking more likely given the feedback I am getting from my players on the info I am giving them for my Twilight-2000 GURPS campaign...

A.E. Housman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2012, 14:38:59 »
In other topic it was said that A Time of War Companion has some limited rules for mercenary force operations. More comprehensive rules are expected to be in Interstellar Operations.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2012, 15:35:22 »
In other topic it was said that A Time of War Companion has some limited rules for mercenary force operations. More comprehensive rules are expected to be in Interstellar Operations.

And when is that dues out? ;D

A.E. Housman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2012, 15:46:48 »

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2012, 09:24:51 »
Here you go

Lol, I meant Interstellar Ops :P

I have a copy of the Companion waiting for next pay day at the shop.

A.E. Housman

Register