Author Topic: Home-brewing Battletech; Unique skills to the setting?  (Read 3056 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Home-brewing Battletech; Unique skills to the setting?
« on: 06 March 2015, 21:50:24 »
Hi, so one of my ongoing projects (yes; one *of* I am one of those peopel), is a home-brew role-playing system.

And yeah; I actually do enjoy making my own system more fun than figuring out ATOW. Fair's fair though; I was already working on it when I got ATOW.

I use a generalized skill system, but I want to be open to other points of view as well.

MW3 used a very broken-down skill system for fighting from a mech; Piloting/Mech/Humanoid and Quad, as well as separate gunner skills for different kinds of weapon; Energy/Ballistic/Missile for instance.

The other extreme would be something like Piloting/Mech and Gunnery/Mech and away you go.

What makes more sense to you and why?

Thank you for your time and help.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Home-brewing Battletech; Unique skills to the setting?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2015, 22:55:17 »
in general the piloting and gunnery 'mech makes a lot of sense to me.
I consider piloting mech, and possibly piloting mech humanoid/quad about the limit of specialized skills

as far as gunnery I consider gunnery mech possibly gunnery mech missile/laser/autocannon about the limit of specialization that is reasonable.

or at least I would be willing to listen to an argument for type "general specializations"
I consider gunnery mech quad laser (or beam) to be unnecessarily specialized for "general skills"

on the other hand I could see an argument for an option for up to "double" specialization
IE:
gunnery mech, and or gunnery mech weapon type as the "actual skills"
so: gunnery mech is your base skill
gunnery mech specialization beam gives you a +1 when using beam weapons (and a similar penalty with missiles and cannons) being balanced as a single specialization
gunnery mech humanoid (unnecessary IMO) beam, specific class of beam weapons for double specialization

piloting mech, should be the general skill IMO
piloting mech humanoid, quad, or LAM for instance would be single specializations you could also make an argument for a "weight class" to be an acceptable single specialization
piloting mech (specialization) specific design such as archer, or weight class, would be a reasonable IMO double specialization as well (unless weight classes were considered single specialization level)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2015, 22:29:35 »
That seems reasonable and basically what i am aiming for

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2015, 18:50:05 »
Here's some ideas from the long ago days of 1990 when FASA published BattleTech, and SJGames had yet to be raided by the Secret Service. http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/roleplayer/Roleplayer19/CampaignConversion.html
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2015, 15:47:27 »
I prefer the idea of having the piloting skill be for your primary ride.  If in any other chassis type, you get -1 to the skill.  Or the skill is the baseline, and you get a +1 when in the primary ride.  Either works.  So it wouldn't matter what version of the Hunchback you were in, you'd pilot them all the same.  But move into an Enforcer or Thunderbolt, and you'd be a lesser pilot for a while.  How fast the new ride becomes the primary is up in the air - I use "as needed for the plot", but I'd agree that the better your skill, the faster the new one is learned.  I wouldn't have a problem with there being an additional -1 if switching between quad and humanoid, but could be talked out of it.

I also like having separate skill rolls for piloting and jumping.  If I've been a Hunchback pilot for 30 years and then get re-assigned to an Enforcer, I would expect to suck at jumping for some time.  I've had characters that were an average pilot when running, but that were either very good, or very bad, at jumping.  It doesn't matter so much whether jumping is a separate skill, or merely a modifier to a skill, as long as it is listed for every character.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2015, 18:51:04 »
Here's some ideas from the long ago days of 1990 when FASA published BattleTech, and SJGames had yet to be raided by the Secret Service. http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/roleplayer/Roleplayer19/CampaignConversion.html

Wait....WHAT?!

A.E. Housman

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2015, 21:34:06 »
And your point is?
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2015, 14:43:14 »
And your point is?

That blew my mind when I looked it up.

A.E. Housman

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2015, 04:07:23 »
Because quads are so rare you don't use a separate skill to pilot them. As for LAMs, when in 'Mech mode you use normal 'Mech Pilot, in ASF mode, ASF Pilot, what you use in AirMech mode I don't know

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2015, 06:36:50 »
Because quads are so rare you don't use a separate skill to pilot them. As for LAMs, when in 'Mech mode you use normal 'Mech Pilot, in ASF mode, ASF Pilot, what you use in AirMech mode I don't know

I expect an airmech moves in the air like a really fast VTOL and on the ground like a mech

A.E. Housman

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2015, 21:59:45 »
DX 17 seems a little high to me for 150 pts.  This must be 3rd ed.

GURPS seems a natural choice for the setting.  It gives you feudal status tags and technology levels and skills technical and primitive.

If you're looking to build your own, why not take MW1 and finish it?
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2015, 11:04:37 »
DX 17 seems a little high to me for 150 pts.  This must be 3rd ed.

GURPS seems a natural choice for the setting.  It gives you feudal status tags and technology levels and skills technical and primitive.

If you're looking to build your own, why not take MW1 and finish it?

GURPS? no. no. nonononono. NOOOOOO!!!!

MW1 has A LOT to recommend it frankly and it's in my bibliography for reference, but it's not the direction I want to go.

A.E. Housman