Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)  (Read 20849 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)
« Reply #150 on: 21 February 2020, 18:02:38 »
I used to routinely scare the bejesus out of my boss and one of my colleagues by very matter-of-factly listing all the flammable and/or explosive things I could concoct using just what we had in the shop. And this didn't count when we have fireworks in for Bonfire Night. And that's for A-Level chemistry and physics.

It was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Every so often I'll do it again to see just how ready the newer members of staff are to deal with some of the crazy people we get in the shop. If they can survive a shift with me, they can survive anything.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #151 on: 21 February 2020, 18:33:13 »
A few years after I graduated, my college chemistry building actually burned down due to something going wrong in the lab overnight (no one was injured).  I don't know if they ever figured out what went wrong.  When I graduated high school, I only owned half of the scorch marks on the ceiling of the chem lab...

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: 21 February 2020, 19:50:24 »
When my brother was at the US Air Force Academy, he told me a cadet got thrown out when it was found out he was cooking explosives in one of the chemistry labs. :o

This was discovered when said explosives cooked off.  The cadet was fine (well until the Academy’s security got their hands on him), the lab?  Not so much. ::)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 22 February 2020, 13:32:27 »
Camp John...

"for such a large factory complex, I expected, Oh...I don't know, more."  George Hasek commented.

"It's not just a factory, Lord Hasek.  This is also our...'home town' now."  his guide was designated 'Michael Myers', a Centurion. "We have chassis production, server nodes, but we also have accomodation for biologicals, and you people take up a lot of non-industrial space-having green spaces and comfortable recreational areas, markets, and public squares cuts somewhat into the cubic meters available for mass production."

"Does that 'biologicals' include non-Biocylons?" Luis McEvedy, the New Circe officer assigned to this part of the review, asked.

"Yes." Michael said with a firm nod.  "Camp John includes a rather sizeable population of humans, both employees of Cy-Lon industries, and local support businesses not directly funded or affiliated with the parent company.  We're really rather proud of how well our human citizens are integrating into our city's civic life.  I dare to claim we have the best primary through secondary school education on the continent, the local rugby team came in with regional championships two years in a row, and they're going to beat the Hue fighting falcons this year for top spot."

"What about crime statistics?"  Sienna Leary, the SLDF rep from the Free Worlds League, asked.

"We have very little to even discuss, unless you're talking about infodata slicing and electronic market manipulations." Michael admitted, "Our violent crime statistics are the lowest world-wide, and most of my officers have extensive training dealing with domestic disputes between human citizens, welfare issues, and vagrancy."

"Vagrancy?"

"a sad testament to the state of society, people who can't find a place to fit in.  we do what we can to correct that, through the corporations and companies, also through our education system, but yes, we do have all the normal problems any society must address."

"How are you addressing them?"

Michael stopped, and pointed, "Over there, is a facility for addiction treatment,  we're still...working...on finding effective strategies for those who need the help,but refuse to accept it.  for certain personal crimes, we have the same sort of jails anyone else has.   Young offenders are usually referred to the Giap School system if they have the right kind of potentials, the rest?" it shrugged, a very human gesture, "we do the best we can to keep them from harming others while remaining within the common legal codes of the Kowloon Constitution and the Lyran legal system." he straightened proudly again, "As I stated, we have relatively little in the way of serious crimes to cope with, not so many as most communities our size, even."

"And militarily?"  George asked.

"Most of the Camp John Reserve Militia are Centurions, but we do have several human and mixed units available."  Michael stated, "It could be all Centurions but that tends to be a mistake-racial segregation, even when it is based on capability, tends to breed resentment and disorder, and human troops tend to be more imaginative in the field, more resourceful fighters and strategists, and smarter about when and how to retreat or counterattack.  I honestly prefer human strategists on my staff, they've won me three mayoral elections thus far."

it was so banal.  George observed silently.  The  Centurion mayor of Camp John could have been any alderman on New Syrtis, aside from the chromed armor plating and synthesized voice module.  "What about religious issues?" he asked, hoping to throw the machine off.

"Which ones?" Michael counter-asked, "We have a number of human faiths, along with the Church of the One, and a Unitarian fellowship, three Synagogues, even a Mosque, which is something of a rarity on Kowloon, the religious leaders are well aware that any overt moves to impose their dogma on the secular population will be met by force if necessary, or more often, ridicule from within their own congregations.  we observe freedom of faith here, as is defined under the planetary constitution and the Laws of the Commonwealth."

"And discrimination?"

"It is between individuals in the private sector.  as a government, it is not lawful for my administration to discriminate based on faith, race, or other arbitrary measures." Michael stated, "if Religious motivations are involved in a crime, then those motivations are counted toward evidence of guilt in the court.  one can not ban thoughts, one can only punish bad actions."

George smiled, "That's a very enlightened view, mayor."

"It is...I hate to say 'logical', it makes me sound like a machine." the machine made a very human gesture to that, his body language as expressive in its own way as a human face would be.  "I will simply state it is reasonable.  a person's thoughts are private, only to be shared by their will, so punishing for motives makes little sense when the harm is done by the actions, rather than the ideas."

"That's almost word-for-word from one of your Duchess Elizabeth's speeches." George noted.

"She's wise." the machine told him, "She grasps the long term in ways most human leaders don't seem to, and most of our kind have repeatedly failed to-the series 1s in particular."

"Series One?"

"The Cylons that attacked New Circe." Michael clarified.  "That series was the 'leadership' that led to our attack on the Colonies of Kobol, a strategic blunder born of short term tactical thinking, and one of the prime reasons my brothers and sisters chose to separate from them."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #154 on: 22 February 2020, 14:59:57 »
I have to ask, do the Centurions have different voices?

Might be hard for many biologicals to tell them apart if they don't.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #155 on: 22 February 2020, 15:51:45 »
i would presume so. i mean, you can use computer synthesizers to make all sorts of voices for computers nowadays, so i'd imagine they could do it as well. though i suspect that most of them would leave at least a little mechanical aspect to the sound as a cultural thing.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #156 on: 22 February 2020, 18:38:43 »
i would presume so. i mean, you can use computer synthesizers to make all sorts of voices for computers nowadays, so i'd imagine they could do it as well. though i suspect that most of them would leave at least a little mechanical aspect to the sound as a cultural thing.
A Cylon accent, if you will

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #157 on: 22 February 2020, 19:48:43 »
Redneck Cylons... British accents... German... wow, they could pick from any entertainment file ever.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #158 on: 22 February 2020, 20:19:38 »
reminded of this scene in Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBGOhxwMr5A

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #159 on: 23 February 2020, 14:21:56 »
as y'all have probably surmised, I've kind of hit the point of no-good-ideas for this. Someone else could probably pick it up.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #160 on: 23 February 2020, 16:46:14 »
I don't know anyone else who can do dialog like you can, at least not for your characters.  I'm going to hope you find inspiration to at least finish up the investigation.

Derain Von Harken

• Sergeant
« Reply #161 on: 23 February 2020, 17:56:01 »
as y'all have probably surmised, I've kind of hit the point of no-good-ideas for this. Someone else could probably pick it up.
For this investigation or for the series in general? Because i actually have an idea of how the clan homeworlds could react to the threat of the cylon warmachine and Lizatron. Even reorganise themselves into a more effective industry base in a rather clan esque manner in spite of Liz predictions. Basically i am imagining a delegation of technician Merchant and laboror castes of all clans (yet probably organised by Diamond shark) coming to give a report to the Grand council with heavy sledgehammers. (not to actually use but just to demonstrate their seriousness).
BTW you have kind of teased us a few times with the cylons beginning a grand offensive and then stopping. I get Cavil at New Circe but before when the Cylons launched the big assault on the Clans why was there no follow up against the Taurian concordat and magistracy?
« Last Edit: 23 February 2020, 19:33:50 by Derain Von Harken »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #162 on: 25 February 2020, 04:05:46 »
I think we need LizCon, where the OG Liz, the Triplets and a Thirteen meet-up (while the rest of the universe cowers in fear...)

Avrjoe

• Recruit
« Reply #163 on: 25 February 2020, 14:22:50 »
I have not completely caught up on this, However as I was a big fan of Hunted tribes seeing the story continued is wonderful.

I really like the answer to what happened to the Wolverines and have thought about using it if I ever get a local Mechwarrior Setting RPG game going. How much of the History of New Circe has been worked out? Many tidbits seem to be scattered along the story. Would you mind if I tried to work up a sort of setting guide for what New Circe would look like the day the before colonial contact?
I used to be median but life has made me mean

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 25 February 2020, 14:24:47 »
I have not completely caught up on this, However as I was a big fan of Hunted tribes seeing the story continued is wonderful.

I really like the answer to what happened to the Wolverines and have thought about using it if I ever get a local Mechwarrior Setting RPG game going. How much of the History of New Circe has been worked out? Many tidbits seem to be scattered along the story. Would you mind if I tried to work up a sort of setting guide for what New Circe would look like the day the before colonial contact?

I'm not the guy to ask; Hotpoint is.  He created the original scenario wrt Wolverines/Colonials/New Circe, and then kindly invited me in to play in his setting.

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #165 on: 25 February 2020, 18:47:46 »
evening cannonshop , sure hope you get your Mo-Jo back soon . there are few here who can spin a tale or in your case a Saga . you sure haven't hurt hotpoints story line with your adendum to the Ngoverse . rooting for yah to get over the brain freeze .

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #166 on: 21 March 2020, 13:56:58 »
Believe it or don't, but restricting technological discovery and slapping 'Classified' on new discoveries isn't just a feature of fiction, nor is wanting to control the dispersal of scientific information.  Back in the 1980s there was a bit of a scandal when it was revealed that (at the time) all the information necessary to construct an atomic bomb was available to the average public library user in the United States.

yes I recall when this story broke, or I 1st read about him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aristotle_Phillips#%22A-Bomb_Kid%22
and there were others
Hell they even included it in the Young Sheldon TV show, him attempting to build a nuclear reactor by extracting americium from smoke detectors.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #167 on: 21 March 2020, 14:08:23 »
A few years after I graduated, my college chemistry building actually burned down due to something going wrong in the lab overnight (no one was injured).  I don't know if they ever figured out what went wrong.  When I graduated high school, I only owned half of the scorch marks on the ceiling of the chem lab...
Me and my Lab Partner while "building a fire cracker" might have come close to burn our chem lab.  We had gotten our gunpowder to break, but the gas line wasn't active when we turned it on.  Got up to get something else, came back to light it, BOOM and a roaring flame down the water channel in the lab table.

Now that I'm caught up here, I'm hoping there will be more to come.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #168 on: 21 March 2020, 16:11:50 »
yes I recall when this story broke, or I 1st read about him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aristotle_Phillips#%22A-Bomb_Kid%22
and there were others
Hell they even included it in the Young Sheldon TV show, him attempting to build a nuclear reactor by extracting americium from smoke detectors.
actually that last one was based off the story of David Hahn, the "nuclear boyscout" who attempted to build a functioning nuclear breeder reactor in his garage using any radioactives he could get publically (americium from smoke detectors, radium form glow in the dark watch hands, thorium from lantern mantles, etc). didn't get to the point of a complete reactor, but did manage to build a fairly potent radioactive decay based neutron source.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #169 on: 22 March 2020, 19:46:42 »
thanks because I could not remember his name
and then there was this movie
The Manhattan Project

Orangeduke38

• Corporal
« Reply #170 on: 16 June 2020, 21:17:56 »
Great new story

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: 16 June 2020, 23:59:05 »
actually that last one was based off the story of David Hahn, the "nuclear boyscout" who attempted to build a functioning nuclear breeder reactor in his garage using any radioactives he could get publically (americium from smoke detectors, radium form glow in the dark watch hands, thorium from lantern mantles, etc). didn't get to the point of a complete reactor, but did manage to build a fairly potent radioactive decay based neutron source.

It also suffered from a lot of overblown news stories, where I recall one scientist saying that "Sure, you can design a nuclear bomb, that's not difficult."  Then he paused and continued. "Design the centrifuges and separation technology to create your fissile material, or find someone who can get it on the black market where entire nation states have failed and will give it to you?  That's the real challenge."