Author Topic: Ugliest Mechwarrior Minis  (Read 6502 times)

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
  • Faction List Project-Combat Operations contributor
Ugliest Mechwarrior Minis
« on: 17 September 2013, 18:30:11 »
There were some pretty bad sculpt jobs in the Mechawrrior game. Which ones do you think are the ugliest?

Dark Age
Light: Firestarter (lets just expose these flamer fuel lines)
Medium: Gyrfalcon
Heavy: Ryoken II AND Shadow Cat II (2 way tie here)
Assault: Original DA Atlas

Age of Destruction
Light: Wulfen
Medium: Nightstalker (there is so much ugly in AoD)
Heavy: Karhu
Assault: Xanthos

Battleforce/Solaris VII
Gravedigger (frakenmech anyone?)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Ugliest Mechwarrior Minis
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2013, 18:45:36 »
I actually like the Nightstalker ... the Panther is by far a worse abomination in the eyes of Ghu.  The Wulfen suffers from a bad paintjob, IMHO the sculpt is mediocre not bad. I find the DA Daishi just odd-looking, and a crying shame.

I'd also say the Jupiter is a silly sculpt, with all those bits sticking out which stop it articulating, and the Crown of Thorns. I've seen some people fix many issues with the BT scale version by using better legs.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2013, 19:05:25 »
I actually like the Nightstalker ... the Panther is by far a worse abomination in the eyes of Ghu.  The Wulfen suffers from a bad paintjob, IMHO the sculpt is mediocre not bad. I find the DA Daishi just odd-looking, and a crying shame.

I'd also say the Jupiter is a silly sculpt, with all those bits sticking out which stop it articulating, and the Crown of Thorns. I've seen some people fix many issues with the BT scale version by using better legs.

Most of the MW totem mechs never appealed to me. The Wulfen is just too rounded for my tastes. :)

I actually like the Jupiter's look minus the poorly proportioned parts that get in each others way. It has the "I'm going to Alpha strike you into oblivion" look to that mech.

Capt4in

• Corporal
  • Clix Veteran, CBT Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2013, 21:46:28 »
I'm a big fan of the Karhu, though I do find it kind of silly how few visible hardpoints it has.
Kisho lives

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2013, 00:14:14 »
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2013, 13:05:06 »
One of their modelers really liked the HUUUUGE hands and too long of arms look. I'm not sure what they were thinking with those things.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2013, 00:07:20 »
Targe.

Your argument is invalid. TARGE.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2013, 02:19:58 »
Targe.

There's some Targe hating going on there  :) I actually like the Targe. The only problem I see is center torso weapon. Depending on what it is there isn't room normally in the center for much.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2013, 08:34:40 »
My biggest problem with silly sculpts was the sizing issue.  Cougar always upset me because it was bigger than most assault mechs. :P

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2013, 13:54:27 »
That an proportions. The Shadow Cat and Ryoken IIs not only had huge hands and long arms they were so unbalanced even the mini would tip over if hit by a slight breeze. :)

The Gyrfalcon never made sense to me with those huge autocannons. If it was in an urban environment it wouldn't even be able to turn without getting the barrels stuck in a building.  :D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2013, 17:38:56 »
Targe.

Arguably incorrect. The Targe is not a bad-looking mini. It's just grotesquely oversized. When a 25-tonner outweighs the Atlas, Jupiter etc, they're doing it wrong.

W
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2013, 19:20:26 »
Arguably incorrect. The Targe is not a bad-looking mini. It's just grotesquely oversized. When a 25-tonner outweighs the Atlas, Jupiter etc, they're doing it wrong.

W

Not that it matters but Targe is 40. :) Cougar on the other hand is 35 and looks like it should be able to go hand to hand with a 100 ton king crab. :)

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2013, 19:52:44 »
As long as we're going there, how about the Wasp being larger than the Stinger and Phoenix Hawk?

You just gotta love the Targe for being equipped with a melee weapon that had a range greater than zero.  And no arms.  Somebody really had fun designing that.

"Flying Fists of Fury"

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2013, 20:55:53 »
Which one? I'm guessing Warrenborn has the corrected info. I only have the Bannson one.

I'm guessing feet of fury? hehe

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2013, 03:42:57 »
It was the Stormy mech, it was soon errata in the FAQ to be Energy on the Primary weapon.  Which at least made sense when you look at the Heat Dial.  But just the "anime" image of tiny fists being launched from the missile racks made us all smile when it appeared in battle.

GC

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2013, 13:19:11 »
It was the Stormy mech, it was soon errata in the FAQ to be Energy on the Primary weapon.  Which at least made sense when you look at the Heat Dial.  But just the "anime" image of tiny fists being launched from the missile racks made us all smile when it appeared in battle.

GC

Did the original melee have range greater than 0/0? That would have been funny. Come to think of it, isn't there 1 unit out there with 0/1 for melee?

Boldrick

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2013, 14:58:13 »
I think there was a Mortis, silver one, with ability to strike with melee attack on 2/3 inch range. I might get wording a bit off,
it was in champions packs...

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2013, 21:21:18 »
I think there was a Mortis, silver one, with ability to strike with melee attack on 2/3 inch range. I might get wording a bit off,

The Mortis was 'Seraph'. Warrenborn has it without range but it may have been corrected with errata. I'll have to see what mine says when I get home.

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2013, 02:41:28 »

I checked the 2 Mortis I have. It's "The Messenger", the dial says 0/10 melee. You can tell that one is a type o and somebody added a 1 before the 0.  I could see a range of 0/1 with a scythe but not 0/10 unless its using one heck of a kusarigama.

« Last Edit: 25 September 2013, 15:32:26 by upgrayedd »

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2013, 03:03:40 »
The Mortis was 'Seraph'. Warrenborn has it without range but it may have been corrected with errata. I'll have to see what mine says when I get home.

It was an ability attached to the Peferred Pilot.

Name: Fearghal Dougal
ID: SOL-GS-019
Preferred Mech: SOL019
Cost in Preferred Mech: 30

LONG ARM OF DEATH (optional) This unit can make a close combat attack against a single target without having its front arc in base contact with the target if it can draw a clear line of fire to the target. This unit's range value becomes 2 for the attack. If there are no hexsides, this unit's range value becomes 3 for the attack.

So the Solaris maps came with printed hex grids, but regular play without maps had to be accounted for, too.  Effective range was two hexes or three inches from center to center dot. 

Well, there are lots of House Rules these days that can duplicate or ignore any special ability that was once restricted or limited to a few individual units. 

GC

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2013, 09:35:48 »
You sir hit the nail on the head.  Those mechs looked awful.  Sadly, the Marauder could have looked good if the sculptor had produced a mech that looked like the design.  The IWM versions that I've seen look so much better.  I agree with sentiments about the Daishi - it looked wrong.  Near the top of my list of list-bottomers were the walking dump trucks.  But above all, I would add the following to the top of the  butt-ugly list:

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D108

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=F089
or
http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=F129

hands down

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=CA124
these were a close 2nd, any wonder why the only made 3 all unique
« Last Edit: 02 October 2013, 12:44:01 by dethtungue »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2013, 12:32:25 »
Oh- also, I forgot the Ocelot.

It's not AWFUL, at a glance, but then you look at it closer and realize something. I didn't really notice until painting the IWM sculpt, but went back and pulled out an old Spirit Cat one to see if it was there as well. It is.

See the big wings on the back? And how the center torso has the two big square plates at the front?

Now try NOT seeing that as a bunny.

Can't do it, can you? Ruined FOREVER.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2013, 16:38:43 »

It's not AWFUL, at a glance, but then you look at it closer and realize something. I didn't really notice until painting the IWM sculpt, but went back and pulled out an old Spirit Cat one to see if it was there as well. It is.

See the big wings on the back? And how the center torso has the two big square plates at the front?

I'm going to have to look at my Ocelots when I get home now. Every time I hear ocelot I think of the animated show Archer.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2013, 18:39:27 »
I have a soft spot for the walking dumptrucks, the ConstructionMechs with the googly gangly arms and bad feet. They have that whole literal "industrial retro" thing down pat, and the paintjobs were good. Sleek war machines, no. Improvised weaponry with diesel power, yes!

Elusive

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2013, 22:05:05 »

I just checked and I see it now that you've pointed it out . . . but you're stretching it.  I won't ever think of it again.

I know a lot of people don't like the Daishi, but I like the design.  Part of it is probably the fact that I never played BT so I didn't have a pre-logged feeling about it, but it's actually a nice looking mech if you don't consider the name.  The worst you can say about it is it kind of resembles a Cadillac.  Shocking confession time, but I don't actually like the BT Daishi.  It's too tall and skinny and looks out of proportion.  And I do realize I'm in the minority in this.

Clan Nova Cat: If it weren't for bad fate, we'd have no fate at all.

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2013, 00:02:42 »
I have a soft spot for the walking dumptrucks, the ConstructionMechs with the googly gangly arms and bad feet. They have that whole literal "industrial retro" thing down pat, and the paintjobs were good. Sleek war machines, no. Improvised weaponry with diesel power, yes!

I have to agree. I also like the fact they have a cap 2. Although slower than other transports they pack a good deal of armor. The Dumptruck MODs are probably some of the most powerful Ind Mechs in the game. Stormhammer's MOD:

Max Damage: 3
Max Speed: 5
Max Attack: 10
Max Defense: 21
Life: 10

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2013, 14:10:10 »
Targe.

The Targe always reminds me of this Snoopy Doghouse car I had as a kid
CDT Agent #319

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 03 October 2013, 00:27:53 »

Hehe you just need to add missile racks.  8)

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 03 October 2013, 05:11:13 »

That is cute.  I see Baba Yaga's house when I look at it:

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 03 October 2013, 13:36:50 »
Man so much hate for the Targe.  :) I actually like it.