Author Topic: Factory Misdials  (Read 6576 times)

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Factory Misdials
« on: 24 September 2013, 21:28:35 »
So when you find a model that came from the factory with the wrong dial, is it merely a curiosity, a valued treasure or a worthless piece of junk?

Found my first while cataloging some new minis today. What I got was a Wolf Strike Kurita Madcat IV attached to a 085 Nova Cat Marauder IIC base. Thought it would be nice to hear what your experiences have been.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
Re: Factory Misdials
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2013, 22:33:31 »
apparently.....   back in the day.  you could mail it in & they would correct it.....      Now.....Junk is the best Category.
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

Elusive

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2013, 22:00:28 »
I wouldn't junk them, though I guess you can chop them up for conversions if that's a thing for you.  There are ways and resources out therefor correcting the dials.  But yeah, you can't play them that way so they aren't valued treasure by any stretch, and given Wiz-Kids quality control issues not really a curiosity either.

Clan Nova Cat: If it weren't for bad fate, we'd have no fate at all.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2013, 11:56:41 »
But yeah, you can't play them that way so they aren't valued treasure by any stretch, and given Wiz-Kids quality control issues not really a curiosity either.

Yes,  i guess i should have pointed out I do have at least 3 mislabeled  pieces.     :'( [metalhealth] [madflame] [tickedoff] >:/! [soapbox]

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2013, 09:15:15 »
They got bad about that towards the end. I'll never forget buying the Poseidon Ares, only to find that they'd failed to add the heat dial's inner sticker... making it an illegal unit to use. At least I got a couple of infantry pieces to use though! And a weird three-legged thing to sit on top of my DVD shelf! Bought another set (off Ebay this time), this one had a BROKEN heat dial- the sticker was in it, but the tab you'd turn with your fingers to change it was broken off, so you couldn't actually change the heat setting. MORE infantry, at least... third one (and final) has a loose sticker inside, which I could probably fix with some glue and a toothpick, but to be honest by that point I'd given up completely on the Ares. Might even be fun to use, but as shoddy as they were made, I'll never know.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
  • Faction List Project-Combat Operations contributor
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2013, 14:52:02 »
So you ended up with 3 sets of Rhodes infantry?  :)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2013, 15:31:05 »
The 3 pack ares was fine, but I never heard of a Poseidon that didn't have some kind of issue with the heat dial.  In my case the dial casing was pealing off the sticker whenever it was turned.

The worst issue wizkids ever had with heat dials was the Jade Falcon battle force.  The first run that was sent out all had the sticker on upside down making all 6 unplayable.  They had to replace them all.   On the upside, they didn't make you send the screwed up ones back.  I was able to fix mine so I got 12 mechs for the cost of 6.   Can't help but wonder how much of a bath wizkids took on that though.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2013, 22:58:10 »
My Poseidon has no issues.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2013, 10:39:23 »
So you ended up with 3 sets of Rhodes infantry?  :)

Three sets of them (one of the engineers was borrowed and never returned, sadly), and one Poseidon that I could probably salvage if I ever cared enough. It and the other three now stand honor guard on top of my cable box, and only 'Hera' ever actually was used in a game (it got waxed before ever moving from its starting position).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2013, 17:27:59 »
Quote from: JadeHellbringer
... and only 'Hera' ever actually was used in a game (it got waxed before ever moving from its starting position).

Ah yup.  Such is the fate of most of the big fat point heavy Targets. 

I tend to worry more about how long a single unit worth as much as half my battle force can survive. 

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

upgrayedd

• Master Sergeant
  • Faction List Project-Combat Operations contributor
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2013, 19:22:56 »
Three sets of them (one of the engineers was borrowed and never returned, sadly), and one Poseidon that I could probably salvage if I ever cared enough. It and the other three now stand honor guard on top of my cable box, and only 'Hera' ever actually was used in a game (it got waxed before ever moving from its starting position).

I never had an interest in the tripods but always wanted to Rhodes infantry for my Merc faction. I only one seen them on Ebay solo but forgot about the auction missed them (doh!)

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2013, 16:04:24 »
apparently.....   back in the day.  you could mail it in & they would correct it.....      Now.....Junk is the best Category.

Yes.  For the first couple years you could send in a damaged or broken piece and WK would replace it.  Later, they would simply send you a new booster.  Then they stopped doing even that. 

Most misprint units like Seka Ward were simply errated in the FAQ and were never "fixed".

When they sent out the CJF Battleforce set with all the heat dial stickers upside down, they gave a new set to anyone who ordered them with no return required.  It was after that when customer service really want down hill.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2013, 14:29:45 »
My Poseidon has no issues.
Neither did mine...

Most misprint units like Seka Ward were simply errated in the FAQ and were never "fixed".

YES... for Misprints they simply errata-ed (because it was all --or most-- of the stock)....   But my Mislabeled (where my SC Axeman has a SS mining-mech dial) could have been sent-in back in the day... [cheers]

greenflea

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • catalyst demo team agent #340
    • wanna know where to play?
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2014, 23:02:58 »
NOT JUNK!!

the ones with stickers missing or wrong can be fixed.
back when this started showing up a couple of guys on a yahoo group had made a template that you could make a new sticker for the round dial and the heat dial then print them out on mailing labels , trim and stick to the offending spots.

i'll bet a quick search of yahoo groups would yeild one where you could download the template and make new stickers.

it works i've done it a few times, even made custom dials too... ;D

not much you can do for the wrong plastic base though.... ::)
fomer Wizkids Battlemaster
current Catalyst agent #340

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2014, 14:45:29 »
a couple of guys on a yahoo group had made a template that you could make a new sticker for the round dial and the heat dial then print them out on mailing labels , trim and stick to the offending spots.
i'll bet a quick search of yahoo groups would yeild one where you could download the template and make new stickers.
it works i've done it a few times, even made custom dials too...

I'd love a link... that was easy to find and EASY TO USE.  every time i search and FIND one, it requires  a download or plugin or something. THEN, even after that...  i still can't get it to work

Elusive

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2014, 16:51:53 »
I'd love a link... that was easy to find and EASY TO USE.  every time i search and FIND one, it requires  a download or plugin or something. THEN, even after that...  i still can't get it to work

Not exactly what you're after, but this site http://mechwarrioraod.wix.com/upgrades has fan made units for download.  Open a file in Powerpoint and change the info to what you need.  The 2012 Champions file even has bases so you can correct those models that were put on the wrong base.  It'll take some work, but should give you what you need.

Clan Nova Cat: If it weren't for bad fate, we'd have no fate at all.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2014, 21:23:28 »
Not a misdial, but missing heads to my LE Eyrie, and Battlemaster pulled from boosters the same day
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))