Author Topic: Hypothetical games  (Read 2376 times)

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
Hypothetical games
« on: 02 July 2014, 18:10:47 »
So just for fun, what kind of army would you build?  I'll list off a scenario and you build your army.  However, there are certain house rules to abide by:
1. No artillery
2. No gear, only pilots on mechs.  DA common mechs can get a named pilot or generic.  DA uniques can only get a generic pilot.  (Ex. graduation cert, but not a House pilot or named pilot)
3. When applying recruit costs, ignore them.

The game is a big one!  2700 points, 2 hours, 48" by 48" and 18 orders.  Objective game type, must have one infantry in base contact with the objective building (small hex shaped building x3) for one full turn and there can be no enemies (even base not just center dot) within 3 inches of the building.  Your army comes in waves, start with 1700 points, 1 hour in the last 1000 points enters the battlefield.  Objectives will be placed evenly across the center of the board.  Each player places 3 pieces of terrain.  They can be up to the edge of deployment zones and touching the unused edges of the map.

I would field (1700) House Davion and Swordsworn:
117 Damocles + Julian Davion L-030
033 Atlas + Sergeant Major P-A20
144 Lt. Diane Jameson + Graduate Cert. P-011
029 Enforcer III + Sergeant P-A17
100 Centurion + Sergeant Major P-A18

2x Balac Strike VTOL
JES II Missile Carrier
Hendrene Michalik
J-37 Ordnance Transport

7x SRM Team
4x Kage Battle Armor
3x Laser Team
3x Salamander Battle Armor
3x Hoverbike Squad
1x Purifier Battle Armor

=1700 points

The Balacs and JES II can team up to drop rounds over buildings at the objectives to take out opposing infantry and support the mechs and vehicles moving around.  The Teams of SRMs and Lasers would provide cover and support fire for the Kage and Salamander Battle Armors moving to the objectives.  The Hoverbikes and Hendrene would cruise around, intercepting and holding up inbound opposing tanks and mechs so my mechs can get a shot.  The Atlas would take to the closest objective to protect infantry from incoming ballistics.  The Ryoken II and Enforcer III would move to the secondary objective to drop 14 inch ballistic attacks.  Damocles and the Centurion would be support to intercept fast moving tanks and mechs.  Also in reserves will be the Ordnance Transport with an SRM drop and an SRM Team and Laser Team carried by the Atlas.

Secondary force (1000):

067 Zeus + Major P-A21
031 Templar + Captain P-A19

Behemoth II Tank
Margot Calumet
SM1 Tank Destroyer
Sgt. Leo Riordan

6x Cavalier Battle Armor
3x Gnome Battle Armor
1x Gray Death Battle Armor

=1000

The Behemoth will, needless to say, be carried by the Superheavy Transport to be dropped in the middle of the battle.  Sgt. Leo and the SM1 are fast enough to enter the battle and with the armor piercing ballistic attacks will tear apart any enemy in the area.  The Templar has multiple targets with its ballistic attack to get into the fray of infantry and the Zeus will be more support to assist Damocles and the Centurion.  The Battle Armor all move fairly quick so they will bring their ballistics to bear on any infantry and the firing formations will be lethal.  The lone Gray Death was a final add in but will be useful with its bypass if any captures go off without a hitch.

Just use your collection of units or what you remember of your collection.  Have fun with making the army if you participate.  If you love playing the game and are from AZ send me a PM.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
Re: Hypothetical games
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2014, 04:57:46 »
One suggestion I'd offer is to limit the number of Orders available.  In this case, one Order per 300 points makes it more playable with nine Orders as your base.  It'll speed game play and keep armies fairly balanced. 

Anyway, Here are the Clan Cats doing what they do best.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

start with 1700 points

VG065 Thor 201 pts. (Clan Nova Cat)
FI.-P-024 Star Captain (Heavy S:1 A:1 D:1 18 pts. Clan Nova Cat)                               219pts

VG065 Thor 201 pts. (Clan Nova Cat)
FI.-P-024 Star Captain (Heavy S:1 A:1 D:1 18 pts. Clan Nova Cat)                                      219pts

DOM085 Phoenix Hawk I 114 pts. (Clan Nova Cat)
VG.-P-052 Graduate Certificate - War College of Goshen (Light S:0 A:2 D:1 19 pts.)           133pts

VG.-P-052 Graduate Certificate - War College of Goshen (Light S:0 A:2 D:1 19 pts.)           133pts

WS085 Marauder IIC 260 pts. (Clan Nova Cat)
WS.-GS-062 Colleen Sawyer (Assault S:2 A:1 D:1 28 pts. Gunslinger) Recruit (Base): 10    298pts

WS085 Marauder IIC 260 pts. (Clan Nova Cat)
SOL-GS-023 Jennifer Braille (Assault S:2 A:1 D:1 28 pts. Gunslinger) Recruit (Base): 10     298pts

1x CA036 Anat APC 29 pts. (Spirit Cats)
...2x F005 Shock Troopers 16 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                                          61pts

1x CA036 Anat APC 29 pts. (Spirit Cats)
...2x F005 Shock Troopers 16 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                                          61pts

1x F025 Saxon APC 23 pts. (Spirit Cats)
...1x D007 Hoverbike Squad 13 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                                        36pts

...1x D007 Hoverbike Squad 13 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                                        36pts

10x VG009 Clan Battle Armor (Clan Nova Cat)                                                           170pts

_____________________________________________________________________________________

last 1000 points enters                              

VG.-P-052 Graduate Certificate - War College of Goshen (Light S:0 A:2 D:1 19 pts.)       133pts

4x F005 Shock Troopers 16 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                   64pts   

3x D070 Behemoth II Tank 90 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                  270pts

6x DOM036 Shamash Reconnaissance Vehicle 26 pts. (Clan Nova Cat)                 156pts

5x D007 Hoverbike Squad 13 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                    65pts   

10x D021 Clan Battle Armor 17 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                       170pts

1x F025 Saxon APC. 23 pts. (Spirit Cats)                                             
...D155 The Scorchers (Clan Battle Armor) 26 pts. (Spirit Cats)                       49pts

DOM-F-023 Clan Nova Cat/Spirit Cat Faction Pride                                    90pts

Build points not accounted for:  3pts      ...      total build with FP:  1697

Name: Clan Nova Cat/Spirit Cat Faction Pride
ID: DOM-F-023
 Expansion: Domination
Faction: Clan Nova Cat/Spirit Cat

Unit Type: Faction Pride
 To qualify to use this card's alternative point value, your battleforce must be composed entirely of Clan

Nova Cat units, or entirely of Spirit Cat units, or entirely of Clan Nova Cat and Spirit Cat units.
 1/450: At the beginning of your order stage, a friendly Clan Nova Cat unit or Spirit Cat unit gets +2 to

its maximum energy range value that stage.

... OR ...

Name: True Grit
ID: AOD-F-008
ID: DOM-F-024
 Expansion: Age of Destruction
 Expansion: Domination
Faction: All

Unit Type: Faction Pride
 Cancel one other faction pride and remove this True Grit from the game.

... OR ...

D128 Dekker Nova Cat (Behemoth II Tank) 93 pts. (Spirit Cats)              93pts

Terrain Pool:

Two H3 Hindering, two B3 Blocking, and two H2 Orchards have become my preferred Terrain choices. 

Blocking can offer a brief respite from potential attack, but with energy weapons, Range and Clear Lines of
Fire take precedence.  You really want to exploit the multiple hindering terrain on the battle field, so the
cards are easy to explain. This army can get along fine without water terrain, and might find Blocking
useful.  Anyone that learns to "not need water" has an advantage when choosing terrain.

Planetary Conditions:

We have Tornado, Storm, Monsoon, Nightfall, Heavy Fog and Perfect Day.

You need a little help from Planetary Conditions and Weather to keep your useful Hindering Terrain.  When facing something really foul, like Mine Field, Sniper's Steppe, or Caustic Atmosphere, Perfect Day will always be there.

I left the Faction Pride choice open and included a combat unit as a third choice.  The tank fills the point total to the max, while the Pride cards are almost equal in value.  I usually do not make a final decision until the Army is ready to deploy.   In any case, simply choose one item, then deploy it with the second wave total.  The points are already allocated.

GC
« Last Edit: 03 July 2014, 08:12:16 by GhostCat »
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2014, 16:19:22 »
A quick note about the metagame ...

The Gear listed below is what the Nova Cat mechs would normally be equipped with, though I'm just as likely to use Pulse on the light mechs for the same point cost.  In this case it's about hitting first and making the hits count.  The Faction Pride helps the range a little and that means Assault Orders start from a lot farther away.

VG.-G-153 PPC Capacitor (Heavy 32 pts.)
VG.-G-153 PPC Capacitor (Heavy 32 pts.)
AOD-G-003 Improved Targeting (Light 23 pts.)
AOD-G-024 Anti-Personnel (Assault 34 pts.)
AOD-G-024 Anti-Personnel (Assault 34 pts.)

Still, if you intend to use 18 Orders per turn, be advised that it favors infantry swarms.  ... and yeah ... the Cats have bunches.  So, without Artillery, and lots of little orders to push things, and easy to target objectives to base less than 30 inches from the deployment zone, the Saxon slingshots can make a real threat to end the game as soon as it starts.  A mech can cost as much as ten infantry and a heavy tank but still only gets to use one Order per turn.  And, it has to rest some time.

When you see CNC and SCat CBA infantry, groups of three or more means a serious Capture Team is going hunting for Assault Mechs.  They jump ten inches, have Flamers and are hard to kill.  even if the Cat mechs all die, Twenty CBAs, Six Hoverbikes, and any surviving Shock Troopers will make life hell for anything with a Heat Dial.

So, I put the mechs in first because I like them, and divided the Infantry Swarm so it doesn't hit all at once with the heavy tanks.  So there is plenty of bait for you to chew on if you forget your real mission.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2014, 09:59:57 »
Your army sure seems dominating but after last night's bout I have quite a bit of confidence in my own forces.   Ill be adding to my other 2014 battle reports thread but my opponent brought out 8 assault and heavy mechs, which was a complete surprise....  At first I thought I was in some heavy danger, but once the reinforcements showed up the game quickly evened out.  Let's just say a Jonah Levin Atlas with a +2 defense card is insane.  The whole game there was a constant "dead man's land" in the 15 inches between his Jonah Levin and my Davion Atlas.  We kinda threw out the objective right off the bat because he didn't bring any infantry....  haha
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.