Author Topic: What are the cannon munckin machines?  (Read 18450 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: What are the cannon munckin machines?
« Reply #60 on: 17 October 2018, 17:35:15 »
Ammo dumping problem solution? Don't allow it.

No commander would allow you to just jettison 2000 lbs of MG ammo or that extra SRM 6 ton off of a Battlemaster. The stuff is there for a reason.

Lolwhat?  The commander will chew you out a hell of a lot harder if you just lost a nearly irreplaceable (assuming 3025) Warhammer due to not dumping the MG ammo when the torso armor started getting breached.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: 17 October 2018, 19:46:43 »
Biggest problem with MGs is that you had no real use for them until TW change the dynamic with infantry and also gave us rapid fire rules to justify that 1 Tone of MG ammo.

All the same; at this rate, the only mech that will not be on this list will be the freak'n Urbie. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #62 on: 17 October 2018, 19:52:25 »
Lolwhat?  The commander will chew you out a hell of a lot harder if you just lost a nearly irreplaceable (assuming 3025) Warhammer due to not dumping the MG ammo when the torso armor started getting breached.

I assume the prior comment was more directed to those who dump their ammo at the start of the fight before a shot is even fired.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 17 October 2018, 19:56:28 »
So what draws the line between a nice pizza Napolitana and a double extra cheese with cheese?

AC + Tarcomp variants might be considered cheesy too thanks to precision ammo.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 17 October 2018, 19:58:37 »
Actually I would think a commander would be mad if you just dumped ammo for seemingly no reason however there is nothing really stopping you from telling your tech just to not load the ammo you do not want in the first place. Then you never need to worry in the first place and you can save that ammo for a unit that really needs it.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #65 on: 17 October 2018, 19:59:08 »
So what draws the line between a nice pizza Napolitana and a double extra cheese with cheese?

I'd say that one really depends on the Autocannon, weight class/mounting unit, and target.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 17 October 2018, 20:23:59 »

Not really.  Standard autocannons are pretty weak weapons and the fact that Precision rounds only have half the normal number of shots per ton really means that it's hard to consider them cheesy.  Especially with how heavy autocannons are combined with the added mass of the TC.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #67 on: 17 October 2018, 22:28:25 »
I'm going to put the Preta Dominus in this category.  It is the most perfectly designed MONSTROUS ANNOYANCE ever.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 17 October 2018, 23:26:52 »
I'll throw in the Stooping Hawk F.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #69 on: 17 October 2018, 23:38:08 »
I assume the prior comment was more directed to those who dump their ammo at the start of the fight before a shot is even fired.

Bingo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 18 October 2018, 00:57:16 »
Okay, that makes more sense, though I think that primarily only happens in games where the GM won't let someone start with no MG ammo loaded- at that point, yes, I would dump the ammo first thing but that doesn't accurately represent what would be happening in-universe.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #71 on: 18 October 2018, 15:04:06 »
Along the same lines, as a GM, I wouldn't let you not load ammo. If you want a mech without ammo, take one without ammo. Saying "I like the Battlemaster but it's a bit of a walking bomb, so I'm not going to load the MG ammo and only half the SRM 6 ammo" is a little silly, in my opinion. Gamewise, sure it's a smart thing. The game is as much about the Hit tables, mods and 2d6 as it is about the story, history, flavor etc, of the Universe.

If it were just that simple as making unit better, the Shadow Hawk K has 17 heat sinks and can at max generate 15 heat (barring engine hits) so why not say that "We play that all owners of Shad-K's realize this is pretty dumb and they load 2 Medium lasers on it because the PPC and LRM 5 aren't going to fire most of the time when the ML's do." You can do anything you like in the game, but it's going to start moving away from what we can jointly call Battletech.

As a GM, I'd cure ammo dumping by discouraging this sort of munchkinism. Indeed, dumping ammo is the definition of munchkinism. Ignoring the fanciful reality of the game world and engaging in behavior that would be counter productive or at least counter-intuititve if the game were "real."

"But my Quickddraw with a rear mounted SRM 4 is stupid."

"Sure it is. But you lost your Warhammer because you wanted to Alpha strike 3 turns in a row in the last game. This is what your Regimental commander could spare. Next time play smarter."

If you want to be sneaky, setup 20 stands of infantry hidden on the board and make the Battlemaster wish for that ammo back.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 18 October 2018, 15:23:24 »
I think it's more silly to require ammo reloading.
Player1: "I don't want to load my machine gun ammo."
GM: "You have to!"
Player2: "oops, we didn't buy any LRM ammo."
GM: "Ha, you can't use your LRMs!"
Player1: "We could sell my machine gun ammo and buy some LRM ammo?"
GM: "No, you just don't want to load machine gun ammo!"
Player1: "Yeah. Reality morphs its rules to only apply when it screws me over?"
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #73 on: 18 October 2018, 15:25:43 »
"Sure it is. But you lost your Warhammer because you wanted to Alpha strike 3 turns in a row in the last game.
Wait, did someone really do this?

If you want to be sneaky, setup 20 stands of infantry hidden on the board and make the Battlemaster wish for that ammo back.
... Zerg rush? Is that really any less cheap than dumping ammo?
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #74 on: 18 October 2018, 15:41:30 »
if i live in a universe where an exploding ton of machine gun ammo is one of the most potent weapons known to man, but only when it explodes inside my giant walking robot powered by an impossible fusion engine, i reserve the right to poop it on the ground at the time of my choosing

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 18 October 2018, 15:42:50 »
There should be a rule that allows dumping MG ammo as timed explosive or mine.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #76 on: 18 October 2018, 15:57:43 »
hitting a mech dumping ammo from behind causes a full-blown ammo explosion. it should probably act as a hazard just kind of lying there, yeah

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #77 on: 18 October 2018, 16:32:14 »
hitting a mech dumping ammo from behind causes a full-blown ammo explosion. it should probably act as a hazard just kind of lying there, yeah

Like a improvised mine?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #78 on: 18 October 2018, 16:38:34 »
yeah your big plodding mech fails a psr or something and accidentally kicks a shell causing a chain reaction. they couldn't be better than actual mines but still mess up a leg on an unlucky roll

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 18 October 2018, 20:12:38 »
Ah yes. The standard 3025 Davion line up. Seriously 8 of the 14 are Davion or FedCom refits. There is a reason for the reputation 😉

YEAH !  I get to roll on the Davion RAT  for my lance !

Look at all those cool mechs ,especially those heavies ! ( Drools )

Rolls and gets a Wasp WSP-1D ,Shadowhawk SHD-2D , Jagermech JM6-S,
and Rifleman RFL-3N .

Kurita OP rolls Jenner JR7-F , Wolverine WVR-6K , Warhammer WHM-6K ,
Archer ARC-2K .
?????

As for the OPs point - I would argue that in the earlier eras the Wolverine WVR-6M
belongs on the munchkin list .  If you're balancing by tonnage just about  every
merc unit suddenly seems to have one .

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 18 October 2018, 20:55:18 »
I've been looking at the thread title for a while now and I can't resist any further: I'm not sure that there are any canon munchkin mechs armed with cannons.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 18 October 2018, 22:15:48 »
I think it's more silly to require ammo reloading.
Player1: "I don't want to load my machine gun ammo."
GM: "You have to!"
Player2: "oops, we didn't buy any LRM ammo."
GM: "Ha, you can't use your LRMs!"
Player1: "We could sell my machine gun ammo and buy some LRM ammo?"
GM: "No, you just don't want to load machine gun ammo!"
Player1: "Yeah. Reality morphs its rules to only apply when it screws me over?"

It's not "You have to"

GM: Your commander looks at you strangely, "you want to be defenseless against infantry?"
"I know we are only going to only face mechs, that's all the models you brought"
"So you've been reading the scenarios? Let me go get the other case out of the trunk of my car..."

5 Stands of Heavy SRM Hover infantry later....

"Make is stop"

Wait, did someone really do this?
... Zerg rush? Is that really any less cheap than dumping ammo?

One is just muchkining or metagaming in a way a mechwarrior wouldn't do. The other is putting the player in a position to exploit their exploitation. You've never said to players or opponents (whether openly or to yourself) "OK, if you are gonna be foolish, it's gonna bite you in the butt"

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 18 October 2018, 22:17:44 »
I've been looking at the thread title for a while now and I can't resist any further: I'm not sure that there are any canon munchkin mechs armed with cannons.

Isn't there a Kraken with 8 Ultra AC 2's? That seems sort of fishing for TAC crits and headshots. Granted, it's slow as molasses but that's just terrible.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #83 on: 18 October 2018, 22:37:07 »
Uh... Urbanmechs are pretty small, one might even say munchkin-sized. And it has a big cannon.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #84 on: 19 October 2018, 03:28:26 »
Indeed! Urbanmech

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 19 October 2018, 03:40:18 »
Hellstar is kind of the gold standard. I'd add the Turkina A. The Viper / Black Python. Mad Cat A. Pillager 4Z

I disagree on the Black Python.  One of my favorite mechs, but no where is it anywhere close to optimized. 

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 19 October 2018, 03:57:25 »
Viper is a highly mobile pulse boat with a TC. While it could easily be optimized a bit more (Dump the mess of smaller PL for another large) it's still a little munchy. You'll note that the publishers subsequently pretty much stopped building mechs like that.

Urbanmech AIV. Dead cheap arrow launcher. And you can afford to dump the stats further for more savings, usually.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 19 October 2018, 05:34:06 »
I think when you carry Pulse + TC, you're gonna be tagged with "munch" no matter what... unless you have, like, JagerMech level armour values

or that's IS Pulse + TC...

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #88 on: 19 October 2018, 07:32:47 »
Isn't there a Kraken with 8 Ultra AC 2's? That seems sort of fishing for TAC crits and headshots. Granted, it's slow as molasses but that's just terrible.

Why do you want to make Hellbie cry?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 19 October 2018, 08:18:14 »
Hyper-specialized isn't the same thing as munchkin anyway. 

A Hunchback IIC ain't a munchkin's mech.

A Hellstar is a munchkin's meck. There's a huge difference, and it ain't the tonnage (but the tonnage does factor in a bit...)