Author Topic: 'Missing' Factions  (Read 5227 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
'Missing' Factions
« on: 02 November 2016, 15:43:14 »
Era Report Dark Age lists additional factions aside from the ones we get in the MWDA game.  Several are interesting and the original fluff to MWDA by Touring or the Dossiers hints at several others.

The one ERDA lists is the Free Eagles under Vanja Matas who claims to be descended illegitimately from the Marik line.  He was a RAF officer who gathered up political and military power and followers in Prefecture VI & VII as well as from former League states.  IMO he would be something like a mix between Jasek Kelswa-Steiner & Aaron Sandoval.  I am not sure if the group is ever hinted at in the original MWDA dossiers or other fluff they put out.  I would expect he was competing against Paladin Thaddeus Marik's efforts to form a power bloc along with the Senator Alliance.  From the League I could see Anson or Jessica using him to stir up pro-Marik sentiment to help retake/absorb the border worlds before they taught him his place (or he got blown up).

Two that I think were options for MWDA would be a Hell's Horses and Ghost Bear Clan factions- both gifted troops like the Crusader Wolves and Nova Cats.  They formed enclaves and had abathka in the Steel Wolves & Spirit Cats (check the name Fletcher or Bekker!) which means they came into conflict.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: 'Missing' Factions
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2016, 16:14:01 »
The one ERDA lists is the Free Eagles under Vanja Matas who claims to be descended illegitimately from the Marik line.  He was a RAF officer who gathered up political and military power and followers in Prefecture VI & VII as well as from former League states.  IMO he would be something like a mix between Jasek Kelswa-Steiner & Aaron Sandoval.  I am not sure if the group is ever hinted at in the original MWDA dossiers or other fluff they put out.

Nope. I totally made them up for the Era Digest, along with the Chosen and the Daughters of Kali. Most of the others were little more than names and vague ideologies that got fleshed out a little bit to fill up the page.

(And, to be honest, I was never quite happy with the name "Free Eagles" but couldn't come up with anything better.)

I would expect he was competing against Paladin Thaddeus Marik's efforts to form a power bloc along with the Senator Alliance.  From the League I could see Anson or Jessica using him to stir up pro-Marik sentiment to help retake/absorb the border worlds before they taught him his place (or he got blown up).

I figure most of the additional groups listed in ED:DA are kaput by the time Fortress Republic rolls around, but since nothing has ever been said in the canon sources...
« Last Edit: 02 November 2016, 16:17:25 by roosterboy »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2016, 16:21:12 »
Or like both the Swordsworn & Stormhammers they were absorbed back into their parent organizations.  If Anson was the one that spun off the Free Eagles IMO they would have either come apart when Tha & the Senators did their thing, blown up on Stewart with Anson's forces, or brought back to help defend the MSC during Operation Hammerfall . . . with the predictable results.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2016, 08:18:22 »
When it came to the Ghost Bears and Hell's Horses, I don't think they gifted enough troops to form a large community, and being more traditional-minded, many probably headed back to the OZs after a while, like the Jade Falcons.  We know the HH's had an enclave on Fletcher, where the RAF supposedly got most of its BA infantry from, we don't know where the GB enclaves were. 

The Nova Cats gifted all their warships and 3 Galaxies of Troops, the Wolves 1 Galaxy, and the CJF... a Galaxy too I think?  The Nova Cats had the most Enclaves out of all the Clans, Shitara being the most prominent.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2016, 00:00:09 »
The Falcons gifted the Republic Alpha Galaxy, which itself was made up mostly of cast-offs and unwanted personnel. I do vaugely recall mention of there being small Falcon enclaves in Prefectures VIII and IX.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Register