Author Topic: Capellan units fighting the Clans  (Read 3395 times)

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
Capellan units fighting the Clans
« on: 19 September 2019, 18:53:17 »
Where would be the best place to find some info about which, if any, units fought against a Clan opponents in the 50-52 era

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
Re: Capellan units fighting the Clans
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2019, 18:57:10 »
Where would be the best place to find some info about which, if any, units fought against a Clan opponents in the 50-52 era

Sarna has articles for each invasion corridor. Search "Clan Invasion" on Sarna, and scroll down to section 5 (Invasion Corridors), and it lists what units they fought against. I would search there to see if any CCAF units fought them.

P.S.: Although I haven't gone through the list myself, i do not think any did, at-least in the time-range you specified, though I'm usually proven wrong. Having said that, I do know some CCAF and St. Ives units participated in operation bulldog (not the years you specified), and I think some mercenaries which are typically aligned with the Capellans as-well.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2019, 19:09:30 by .RL »
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2019, 19:04:28 »
Thanks

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2019, 20:10:55 »
The St Ives Lancers and Red Lancers both fought in Bulldog but no Capellan worlds were attacked by the Clans ever (not even the Dragoons, Max loaned them to Anton)

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2019, 20:26:43 »
The St Ives Lancers and Red Lancers both fought in Bulldog but no Capellan worlds were attacked by the Clans ever (not even the Dragoons, Max loaned them to Anton)

According to Sarna it was

House Daidachi
1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry
1st Canopian Cuirassiers
Red Lancers
Harloc Raiders

I was looking to see if I could paint some Mechs up and use them in a range of eras. I might just keep my Capellan forces to 4th Succession War and War of 3039 instead. 1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry would fit the bill though but...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2019, 20:36:38 »
The red lancers also participated in the great refusal

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2019, 21:34:52 »
FM:CapCon also notes Kingston's Rangers participation in Task Force Serpent. I thought there was a unit that had raided a Steel Viper-held world pre-Bulldog/Serpent, but can't find mention of it in a quick look.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2019, 23:00:54 »
FM:CapCon also notes Kingston's Rangers participation in Task Force Serpent. I thought there was a unit that had raided a Steel Viper-held world pre-Bulldog/Serpent, but can't find mention of it in a quick look.

Warrior House Ijori, which FM:CapCon claims were the first CCAF unit to face the Clans prior to Bulldog

Alan Davion

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2019, 04:20:34 »
I just got done reading the Blood of Kerensky trilogy for like the umpteenth time a couple months ago, and while I forget the exact details, I do remember that during the bits on Outreach, Romano Liao, that vindictive little witch, made it clear no Capellan unit would be sent to fight against the Clans, at least not if they were to be paired up with any FedCom units for fear they would be used as shields for the FedCom in order to weaken her realm further so that Hanse could complete then what he could not in the 4th Succession War.

It's never really clear whether Sun Tzu continued with his mothers policy after he inherited the Celestial Throne when Candace came a callin', bringing about some very personal retribution on her sister. Something tells me he kept as much of the CCAF within his realm as he could, and only contributed forces to Task Force Serpent and Operation Bulldog cause at that point he was still First Lord of the Reborn Star League, and only then because of the prestige it afforded his nation.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2019, 07:52:41 »
If I were the Capellan military leadership, I would have sponsored a couple of mercenary companies formed from reservists and make them take contracts against the Clans from everybody. Good for intel on DC, FC, FRR, CS and all the Clans at the cost of maybe 4-5 companies of experienced MechWarrios. Probably even less, because all it really takes is 5-10 people in the know per unit, admins, techs and officers combined.
liber et infractus

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2019, 15:34:05 »
That's why officially "We're helping!" was why Warrior House Ijori was sent in 3060, but in truth it was the CCAF sending Ijori against the Clans to hopefully kill off the suspected Thuggee infestation.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2019, 16:01:32 »
New Aragon (and the Waco Rangers) would like a word with you on that (Wolf's Dragoons sourcebook, pages 11-13, and pages 7-10 detail attacks on Halloran V and Styk)...

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2019, 21:08:55 »
Warrior House Ijori, which FM:CapCon claims were the first CCAF unit to face the Clans prior to Bulldog

Thanks! Missed it skimming through... Good to know my memory hasn't totally gone.  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2019, 21:36:42 »
That's why officially "We're helping!" was why Warrior House Ijori was sent in 3060, but in truth it was the CCAF sending Ijori against the Clans to hopefully kill off the suspected Thuggee infestation.

How'd that work out for them?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2019, 21:58:56 »
How'd that work out for them?

Not good. Ijori gave as good as it got fighting the Viper Fusiliers on Goat's Path with both sides taking heavy losses, but it ended up thinning out loyal as well as Thuggee troops. Surviving Thuggees even got promotions. All good, Capellan Civil War finally took care of the Ijori Thuggee problem, but Black May nerve agents tend to do that.

Alan Davion

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2019, 17:30:31 »
If I were the Capellan military leadership

If you had been the leader of the Capellan military you would have been nine different kinds of clinically insane. Seriously, Romano Liao was the absolute worst military leader of all. Even Takashi Kurita's "Death to Mercenaries" act was more sane than anything Romano ever did.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2019, 01:54:13 »
The Liaos remind me of that line from Arsenic and Old Lace:

"Insanity runs in my family.  It practically gallops!"
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2019, 13:16:43 »
If you had been the leader of the Capellan military you would have been nine different kinds of clinically insane. Seriously, Romano Liao was the absolute worst military leader of all. Even Takashi Kurita's "Death to Mercenaries" act was more sane than anything Romano ever did.
True, true, and if I remember correctly, during that time, there was no CCAF high command, just colonels more or less in favor with the ruling Liao, since the general staff had been abolished some time before.

Well, House Ijori it is...
liber et infractus

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2019, 01:41:42 »
True, true, and if I remember correctly, during that time, there was no CCAF high command, just colonels more or less in favor with the ruling Liao, since the general staff had been abolished some time before.

Well, House Ijori it is...

No, Sun-Tzu was running the show at that time and they had seniority and senior colonels, Talon Zahn was in charge of the military.  So it was not Romano sending Ijori . . . she was safely moldering at that point.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2019, 06:36:55 »
Yes, so much I know. I was, however, not referring to Sun-Tzu's time, but to the immediate Clan Invasion. As in: The time of Romana. Xin Sheng only happened a couple of years later, when Sun-Tzu had consolidated his power, probably as late as 3060.
liber et infractus

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2019, 09:01:42 »
I think Ijori was involved before Xin Sheng though I do not have the SB- I want to say it was '55 or '56 when a lot of border raiding went on.  Otherwise the Hustaing Warriors were slated to be the first since they dropped on Coventry with Vic.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register