Author Topic: Discussion: Clarification on Rule 10 and commissions, kickstarters and Shapeways  (Read 3633 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Last Edit: 22 May 2012, 05:09:36 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
It might be worth generalizing the 3rd item to any "maker" services because, for example, I have Ponoko account, and they do 3D stuff as well. It should be common sense, but spelling it out explicitly wouldn't hurt.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Fair comment - not aware of Ponoko.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...

Sounds good to me.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Dread Moores

• Captain
I just want to be clear on this part:

Kickstarters. These are projects seeking crowdfunding before commencing production of something. As such, they're considered commercial activities. People may not:
- name or otherwise advertise the kickstarter project directly
- don't post links to kickstarters or sites directly advertising kickstarters, either in posts or in signatures

Is this all Kickstarters or CGL property related Kickstarters?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Take it to be all kickstarters that aren't involved in a formal commercial arrangement with Catalyst Game Labs.

While AFAIK Catalyst doesn't currently intend to work in a kickstarter model, there may be some future situation where someone gets a licence from CGL to make (say) Urbie-shaped beer fridges, and tries to raise funds. In this case, the hypothetical fridge maker would have to get Admin approval.

Makes sense?

W.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
- don't post links to their webshops or other sites advertising their services, either in posts or in their signature

Clarify, please.  The way I read it, I can no longer link to anything on Fanjoy's site, www.LINK REMOVED.com, because on that vast display of resources he has one single page advertising commissions.  Nor can I link to Cool Mini or Not, because artists offer commissions in their profiles.  Nor can I link to any Ebay auction, whether or not it's ended, because Ebay is full of live auctions.   :-\

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Not linking to eBay auctions is a long-standing rule, some people taking it so far as to believe one can't mention "eBay".
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Not linking to eBay auctions is a long-standing rule, some people taking it so far as to believe one can't mention "eBay".

The people who refuse to say Ebay make me sad. 

Rule 10 says:

Do not post links to active E-Bay auctions or similar content. It is acceptable to link to completed auctions. It is not acceptable to mention items on active auctions even if a link is not provided.

The new one says:

don't post links to their webshops or other sites advertising their services, either in posts or in their signature

This to me reads that linking to sites that have even one page in hundreds advertising something is a warnable offense.  I need that clarified a bit. 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Jal,

Some common sense is needed when interpreting the Rules - that's one reason why we have a mod/admin team that discusses these things.

Basically, if you link directly to the one page of advertising on a site, it's a problem. If people have to go actively looking, that's not. If you link to something that's a picture of a mini and a link to a webshop, that's a problem.

The eBay example is a bit ingenuous - while the site contains other active auctions, the link to a closed auction does not directly advertise active auctions. You have to "get there from here". For the moment, work with the phrase "directly advertising" eg. right there in the open in the linked post.

Let's work with that interpretation and see how it goes.

W.

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
Take it to be all kickstarters that aren't involved in a formal commercial arrangement with Catalyst Game Labs.

While AFAIK Catalyst doesn't currently intend to work in a kickstarter model, there may be some future situation where someone gets a licence from CGL to make (say) Urbie-shaped beer fridges, and tries to raise funds. In this case, the hypothetical fridge maker would have to get Admin approval.

Makes sense?

W.

So to confirm: Bringing up fan financed minis from Iron Wind Metals would still be acceptable, correct?
To the utmost!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Entirely so.

W