Author Topic: Opinions/feedback about some recent IWM sculpts  (Read 18220 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Opinions/feedback about some recent IWM sculpts
« on: 20 April 2019, 04:20:12 »
Let me know if this is in the wrong place, and I'll move it.

Short form - I spent the last couple of days assembling 12 IWM minis, most of which are quite recent - last couple of years, or so. I'm making a Dark Age Kuritan unit, so it was an excuse to buy these newer minis. Hit some good things & some bad things as I went, thought

a) might be interesting for the sculptors, and IWM folks, who visit here to see some feedback, and
b) opportunity for others to chip in with their experience/opinion.

Transparency - while I've been building Ral Partha, then IWM, minis for decades, I consider myself 'regular' skill, not veteran or elite. I'm using superglue gel with moisture assist, comfortable with using blu-tak to support drying joints. I will pin if I feel I have to, prefer not. YMMV.

Also, my thanks to the good people of IWM, and all the sculptors and artists, that have worked to make it possible to buy BattleTech minis despite our less-than-stellar market size. Without you all, we'd not have anything to complain about ...  O:-) Seriously, every interaction I've had with IWM has been more than I expected. They're good people.

That said ... I felt it worth sharing my thoughts.

Tenshi. I heard a lot of concern about the number of pieces involved; yes, there's a ton - more than 10 - but they came together suprisingly well. Good contact points, pillars & holes, domes & depressions. Nice details too, and very impressive when assembled. So if you're considering a Tenshi, and are happy to take your time - eg. let the legs & feet dry before attaching to the waist - go for it!

(BTW, they should throw in a third leg - if any mini begs to be kitbashed into a tripod, this one does! :D )

Hatamoto-Suna. This is a gorgeous big piece of metal, in several parts. So much glorious detail! The post-and-hole joints are the best I've seen so far, This one assembles like a dream, and the back-flags fit in just fine. The head being separate is a bit meh - there's only one position it can go in - but it's no trouble to glue, and presumably made casting easier. Highly recommended if you like a bit of Samurai action in the Dark Age!

DA-sculpt Black Knight. Mixed opinions here. The legs - each leg is a separate foot, lower leg, and upper leg. But the connections work really well, and you can get a bit of posing action without pinning. Torso is a big lump, well detailed. The arms ... each arm has an upper arm, and a lower weapon section. The connecting post & hole here are very, very shallow - more of an impression than anything that actually feels like a connection. And, given the construction, there's no option for posability - right-angle, pointing front, is it. Sculptors, this is what you shouldn't do. Any post-and-hole should be at least 2mm deep, not fractions. And I don't believe that this would have made casting more difficult. The legs - brilliant! Shame about the elbows. But a good looking mini.

Wight Simple mini - base/feet/legs/torso one piece, torso, head, two arms. The head is nicely posable, albeit the post on the top of the torso was a good bit skinnier than the corresponding hole. The shoulder connections looked like they should have been nightmares - very thin arms - but went on brilliantly. Again, great mini. And I'm sure I could have easily reposed those tichy arms with a quick bend.

Black Hawk KU Now I didn't realise we had a resculpt here. The new mini is larger, and way more detailed than the old one - good! But it's stuck in the old "parade rest" position as the old one. A little dynamism would have been great - but those are stonking great feet to cut one off the base. The mini came together easily. Two negatives. One, the mini was made of a very hard, brittle, and silver-ish pewter, not the light grey and ductile ralladium of the other minis so far. If I hadn't opened the IWM blister myself, I'd be harkening back to the bad old repro days - this really resembled the 'pot metal' you'd see when you stripped down a mini you'd traded for, or (for the really old mini hands) finding 'REBEL' etched under the mini base. Made trimming harder, and very hard to file. Fortunately little of either needed. Second, the front of the arms. The arms are locked in right-angle poses, and the depressions - impressions, more like - of the 5 laser holes in the prime config are very shallow. Having put so much lovely detail in the rest of the mini, what happened here? As it was I was making an F variant, so the non-existant detail got covered anyway,

Chimera resculpt This is the K version, with sword, done by our own Stinger, and this is a good one. The ankles on the old sculpt were always a weak point. Here, the post & hole are really well sized, and allowed for easy posing. One downside - the ankle posts were significantly wider than the corresponding hole in the foot, so a good bit of filing was required to thin the posts down. With that done, excellent. The laser arm was a little confusing initially, but came together naturally; both arms went on easily, despite looking like the post-and-hole setup was a little thin.

Orochi Unnecessarily separated foot & legs; the foot only goes on at right angle, so posing would require more effort than I wanted to invest at this time. Really, you could have had a single piece base/feet/legs/waist for all the good it did. If you're not going to invest, as per the excellent Black Knight legs, and force us into parade rest,  I'd recommend taking the simpler option.

Vulture Mk IV Okay, this one also appears to be made out of 'pot metal', and there's something about the surface that looks not quite right, but I want to see what happens when I prime it first. Now it's a big - Tenchi-sized - mini, with lots of detail, but the  attachment points on this one are absolutely sub-par. Each nub - won't call them posts - is less than a mm high & wide, with correspondingly tiny holes, for the hips & shoulder joints. And the contact areas are tiny. After two tries to attach the legs & feet - one piece each - to the waist, and failing, I've drilled for pinning, and will try again tomorrow. When the pieces being held together are that heavy, these joints are just not satisfactory. If you had posts 2mm wide & 3mm long, this would have been a dream to assemble. The detail is good, and the free arm to make the A variant was appreciated.

Wolverine This is the Project Phoenix sculpt. Very simple - four pieces - and went together very simply. A little thinner than I might have liked, but a good mini.

Ghost Aaaah, lots of pieces! But went together like a dream. Waist sits on base/feet/legs/groin, torso on waist, arms in decent dome-and-hollow joints for easy posing. The 'handles' on the torso weapons are a little fiddly, but connected well. Even the 'exhaust stacks' on the back went in easily, with great post-and-hole connections to make the Vulture IV blush in shame & envy.

Komodo - this is an old sculpt; four pieces again. The shoulder ball-and-socket joints could have been more generous, but worked well enough. When this one gets a resculpt, move the legs a little! But very much what it  said on the tin.

Strider Again, an old sculpt, very easy to assemble despite separate base/legs. With a slightly dynamic pose (shuffling, not running).

Short form - Some pretty good stuff there. But more often than I'd like to see, complexity of assembly seemingly for the sake of it. And perhaps some neglect of good contact options for joints, again not all the time, but that Vulture IV is up there with the first-gen PP Thud & Marauders. If we want more people to play, and more people to buy minis, and given plastics aren't going to be available for more than a limited number of sculpts, then all I can do is petition the sculptors to keep in mind that most of your prospective customers aren't experts, and aren't looking to pin every darned joint. (Mind you, pinning that Hatamoto-Suna would have been not only irrelevant, but hard work!) Keep those contact areas bigger, please!

And if you do go with single piece base/feet/legs/waist, make them walking, not standing please!

Happy to discuss any of my admittedly idiosyncratic observations with all & sundry.

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Verloren Hoop

• Sergeant
  • Forlorn Hope
Re: Opinions/feedback about some recent IWM sculpts
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2019, 09:51:31 »
Thanks for this!  I’d agreee with you on the Hatamoto-Suna—just a beautiful mini, easily assembled.   Same with your reviews of the Wight and the Black Knight.  I ended up pinning all my Black Knights joints.  (Before I became a dad, I used to pin EVERY SINGLE JOINT on my mechs.  I was obsessive about it.)

I also agree about the Wolverine—I always saw it as a blockier mech. 

My newer Chimera came without feet (!) but that is one of a very, very few QC issues I’ve had with Iron Wind Metals.   They’re always quick to respond.  As I was moving at the time, I just went ahead and sculpted feet myself. 

As far as sculpts go, the Akama is my absolute favorite of the Kurita mechs.   Easy to assemble, great detail, and the newer variants are scary. 

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2019, 10:13:11 »
Triple-agree on the shoulder joints of the Vulture Mk. IV.

I pinned mine, and even in storage they have a hard time staying put and not falling off.  I feel like I need to reculpt them a bit to reinforce the joints; there's just too much weight in the gun arms for that amount of contact area.
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2019, 10:24:39 »
I was never comfortable pinning.  So I just used green stuff to create more contact area for my Vulture MKIV (Mad Cat IV too).  It's worked decently.  You can't even see it at arms-length/table top.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2019, 11:53:34 »
The Mad cat and vulture iv were my first real attempts at pinning. Went well. Drill straight through where the legs go and run the long side of a paperclip through. The arms you can go pretty deep into the torso as well... I probably did about an 1/8” and put more trimmed bits of the paperclip in. You just have to take care especially on the arms to make sure your hole is centered and you don’t go too far through. A 1/16” bit works fine for most pinning

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2019, 13:00:38 »
As far as I know there has not been a resculpt of the Black Hawk KU. At least not in the time I have been helping IWM. It still has original SKU from when RP released it.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2019, 22:29:23 »
I’ve made two or three now, and those Vulture mk. IV arms never get any easier. It’s a shame, because it’s a really good mech in the 3145+ era. I quite like the DA BlackKnjght as well. It’s true that the arms aren’t terribly posable, but I love the way it looks good enough that I don’t mind.

I think one of my favorites to build recently has been the DA Omni Centurion. I’ve built enough of them now that I don’t mind the shoulder nubs, and other than those the mini seems to almost fall into place when gluing it up. The Highlander resculpts were a decent number of pieces, but hugely posable with nice, big joints. Those two stick out in my mind as being impressive when I built them. Lastly, I think the Mongoose Gunslinger did a good job of having a dynamic pose with fixed legs.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2019, 01:13:29 »
there was a phase there for a bit between roughly 2013-2017 where every mech had multi-piece limbs. they largely assembled better than back a decade or so ago (like that waking nightmare phoenix thunderbolt's legs) but were still a ton of pieces. i feel like it's drifted back toward single piece legs or even entire lower bodies again and parts counts are more likely to be under ten.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2019, 22:24:02 »
Thanks for the kind words on the Chimera!

It was one of my earlier sculpts and it is quite possible I forgot to adequately thin the ankles before sending the files out.  But also, just a bit of filing isn't too hard, so I think it turned out okay :)

If you happen to get any more of my sculpts, let me know!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2019, 02:13:55 »
As far as I know there has not been a resculpt of the Black Hawk KU. At least not in the time I have been helping IWM. It still has original SKU from when RP released it.

You're right. My older KU was aquired by trade; it was an old lead version, and had softened a little over time & stripping. The new one was very shiny, and crisp, and I mistook it for a new sculpt.

Any comment on the 'pot-metal' appearance of that and the Vulture IV? All the others were 'normal' ralladium grey. But the KU & IV were indubitably IWM minis.

And Stinger, is there somewhere which lists sculpts by sculptor? I've got quite a few in the unpainted boxes, and would love to check.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2019, 20:07:18 »
One piece of feedback for me is pudding bases. I get why they're there. I always hack they aware with snips, razor saw, and/or exacto blade. I prefer to do bases separate from the mini, but with the pudding base already part of the mini it's not always a fun task during prep to remove it.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2019, 19:53:10 »

And Stinger, is there somewhere which lists sculpts by sculptor? I've got quite a few in the unpainted boxes, and would love to check.

W.
Unfortunately I think IWM sorta maintains a list but it isn't public. I can check the QCC ane look up any sculpt since about 2012 or so, but before that it is a bit or a crapshoot.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2019, 20:11:08 »
I have a partial list. Hasn't been updated with anything from the last 8 years so, but I have nearly all of the older sculpts. Hit me with a list of your minis and I can take a look.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2019, 20:18:55 »
I'll back the Hatmoto-Suna as well.  I will add that the Rokurokubi, Hitotsume Kozo (-1P), and the Shiro (-P) were also fun sculpts to work with (the remainder of the lance).

The new Highlander is great. :thumbsup:  I was hesitant at first, but it went together quite easily.  I did not have the same luck with the DA Black Knight.  And I concur with Worktroll on the arms.  I wan't a fan of those.

Couple of older mini questions.  Does anyone else find the Bushwacker a bit of a pain?  And what is with the Kraken 4?  I thought the Warlord was oversized. ???
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2019, 20:21:49 »
One piece of feedback for me is pudding bases. I get why they're there. I always hack they aware with snips, razor saw, and/or exacto blade. I prefer to do bases separate from the mini, but with the pudding base already part of the mini it's not always a fun task during prep to remove it.

I completely agree with this one. I would love to see the pudding bases go away! But I have a feeling they are just left overs from the early sculpts. The new Shadow Hawk sculpt has a nice flat base, making it easy to work with.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2019, 20:45:45 »
Couple of older mini questions.  Does anyone else find the Bushwacker a bit of a pain?

I had no issues with my two Bushwacker's.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2019, 21:21:21 »
Couple of older mini questions.  Does anyone else find the Bushwacker a bit of a pain?  And what is with the Kraken 4?  I thought the Warlord was oversized.

Yes, absolutely gigantic, yes, respectively

i've never liked the feet molded into the base like on the bushwacker, chimera, and argus because i hate having to line up the legs precisely enough on the hips to fit into the feet holes.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2019, 00:44:15 »
I've found that if you glue the legs to the hips and the feet holes on the base at the same time it works pretty well.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2019, 09:13:45 »
that's what i ended up doing but i did not enjoy it

granted i assembled most of those models very early on in the learning process so i'd probably have an easier time now
« Last Edit: 30 April 2019, 09:15:27 by Sartris »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2019, 09:18:23 »
What I'll do is practice holding those pieces together without glue, to get a feel for how things will look when completed. After a couple dry runs, I'll do a dry run with glue in one post hole, gluing a leg to the hip and holding the whole thing together until it sets. Once one leg is attached, repeating the process for the other attachment points becomes very easy.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2019, 10:19:00 »
If I'm having trouble, I just cheat and cut the molded-in base in half  :) That way I can glue each foot on individually and hide any misalignment with glue, or putty, or whatever once it goes on an actual base.

Also, I tried to think about any recent sculpts I had problems with. When I went to actually look at the dates the sculpts were added to the IWM catalog, the newest one was in 2014! So I would say I've been pretty happy with the construction of the recent sculpts.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #21 on: 30 April 2019, 17:09:30 »
I've found that if you glue the legs to the hips and the feet holes on the base at the same time it works pretty well.
I tried that with my first one, and it did not go well.  Second one I glued on the legs to the body first, then mounted to the base.  I did dry runs first to make sure things lined up well.  Went better than the first one, but it was still somewhat uncooperative. :-\. Thanks for the tip though.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2019, 14:26:20 »
Sorry, been a while since I could swing by. Could someone explain what a "pudding base" is?

Feet as part of base - yep, problematical. It doesn't allow for simple modification (as free legs do), but is potentially off-putting to the new mini buyer. I've been doing things Weirdo's way - dry test fits, then glue one leg (often supported by blutak). Leave it overnight to really cure, then the next day it works easier. Yes, you occasionally get little tilts. They're in motion, right? ;)

Bushwacker - see above. Not a great fan of the mini, and usually have to "accurise" the weapons. Will probably buy one someday to make the shotgun version.

Sadlerbw, I've cut the base up a few times. The Night Gyr mini is a particularly knock-kneed parade rest pose; I chopped the base in half, trimmed off as much base as I could, widened the stance, and moved the legs slightly forward & back.

Sculptors, if you're going to do single piece base/feet/legs/torso, please don't do parade rest! The Reseen Archer's legs are just about perfect - a great dynamic pose. People use these minis for wargames, not building dioramas of Castle Brian caches :) Doesn't have to be Devastator-running, just moving. Please.

And sculptors, and IWM - thanks again for the support!

W.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2019, 15:05:14 »
just put together the most recent retail releases.

Crusader 8L - love the beefy torso. the way the arms went on the phoenix mk I, it had such a skinny profile. would have probably preferred a single-piece lower body in a walking gait since that seems to be the primary option for gluing the right leg and foot on, but it glued together easily enough. we didn't have to glue on the hands this time, so that's a win!

swordsman - amazing. i love almost all of the primitives. my only quibble was that i couldn't find a clear indication of where the LT shoulder gun was supposed to rest.

Ryoken III - also sharp. i'd probably recommend filing down the nubs on the arm guns so they rest in the elbow socket a bit more easily. It's one of those minis that has just narrow enough of a stance to fit on a hex base.

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2019, 18:40:38 »
Sorry, been a while since I could swing by. Could someone explain what a "pudding base" is?

Pudding bases are the metal bases the minis are casted with. Most look like a pile of pudding.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2019, 22:04:50 »
Couple of older mini questions.  Does anyone else find the Bushwacker a bit of a pain?  And what is with the Kraken 4?  I thought the Warlord was oversized. ???

Bushwackers were annoying in the tiny connection points and skinny legs.  I've had several break in both places.  If it annoys you, get Gauntlets to replace them.  It's the Omni-Bushwacker, and a fantastic sculpt.

I got nothing about the Kraken.  It's just bloody enormous.  I use the Kraken XR for all my Kraken needs now.  It is also huge, but slightly less so.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2019, 00:00:29 »
Crusader 8L - love the beefy torso. the way the arms went on the phoenix mk I, it had such a skinny profile. would have probably preferred a single-piece lower body in a walking gait since that seems to be the primary option for gluing the right leg and foot on, but it glued together easily enough. we didn't have to glue on the hands this time, so that's a win!

My only issue with the Crusader 8L was figuring out which direction the head was supposed to fit on.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2019, 16:50:26 »
Yeah, I have heard about the Bushies so I planned to buy a Gauntlet as a sub or three.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2019, 17:57:12 »
You will not be disappointed.  Just have to proxy the arms.  And maybe the launchers

Yeah, I have heard about the Bushies so I planned to buy a Gauntlet as a sub or three.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2019, 18:25:19 »
I got nothing about the Kraken.  It's just bloody enormous.  I use the Kraken XR for all my Kraken needs now.  It is also huge, but slightly less so.

For years I've joked that the Kraken 4 should be painted so that on the top it's got a circle with a red H in the middle.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #30 on: 16 July 2019, 00:14:05 »
the primitive emperor is an absolute unit. really attractive mini. also will stop a man if you hit him in the head. 5 pieces.

i really like the ursus II. sturdy and looks good. mine had the hole in the torso filled in with excess pewter so i had to first saw off the glob and then drill out a hole. it's sturdy and the jump jets attached in the small peg very easily. 8 pieces

the scarecrow was a little delicate. maybe the smallest post for the hip piece i've seen on a BT mini. arm position is fixed. 8 pieces

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2019, 02:16:42 »
the primitive emperor is an absolute unit. really attractive mini. also will stop a man if you hit him in the head. 5 pieces.

i really like the ursus II. sturdy and looks good. mine had the hole in the torso filled in with excess pewter so i had to first saw off the glob and then drill out a hole. it's sturdy and the jump jets attached in the small peg very easily. 8 pieces

the scarecrow was a little delicate. maybe the smallest post for the hip piece i've seen on a BT mini. arm position is fixed. 8 pieces
Any chance for Pictures?  :D

The Scarecrow especially.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: 16 July 2019, 07:14:33 »
Any chance for Pictures?  :D

The Scarecrow especially.

I will have pictures done this week.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #33 on: 16 July 2019, 08:26:19 »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #34 on: 16 July 2019, 08:35:51 »
It isn't the size of the Kraken that bothers me, it's the weapons. The cannons look tiny, but that's an easy enough fix. A bit more difficult are the badly mismatched missile racks- they're ATM-6s, why are some of them one size and the other a totally different setup? It's one of maybe half a dozen minis on my 'never on my shelf' list as a result (and thus the XR was a welcome addition!)

...then again, with my well-documented luck using the Kraken-1, perhaps it's just as well I don't invest in the damned things much.  xp
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #35 on: 16 July 2019, 11:26:39 »
Are the guns on the prim Emp separate?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 16 July 2019, 11:28:52 »
no surprisingly. torso, x2 arms, left leg + hip, right leg

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2019, 12:41:59 »
Oh nice,  can't wait to order the Scarecrow and P Emperor.

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 29 August 2019, 22:51:57 »
I just finished assembling a Kodiak II, and I love this miniature.

I converted it to a Kodiak (One) look, and gave it a running pose.  Aside from the raw volume of parts and pinning thereof, this bad boy really comes together nice.  10/10, would build again.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 29 August 2019, 23:30:34 »
I didn't see anything that needed pinning on the Kodiak II, though I didn't put it in a running pose like that.

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 30 August 2019, 07:01:43 »
I have a compulsive desire to pin all the things, so that's on me.  I think if you built it standing at attention you'd be fine with just adhesive at the joints.  I'd be wary of the shoulders though, as the arms are relatively end-heavy and the shoulder joints (while well-fit) are comparatively small.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 30 August 2019, 11:02:40 »
I have not gotten mine out of the box, so what are the white panels covering?
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 30 August 2019, 11:25:38 »
The LRM pods on the arms.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 30 August 2019, 12:56:34 »
Okay, that makes sense . . . and OH, that prim Emperor rocks.  We had it on the table last weekend for the WWE, it was a nice hunk of metal and looked great . . . lol, faithless was a bit miffed that he had just done a bit to it and everyone was raving about how good it looked with his paint.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #44 on: 31 August 2019, 16:32:33 »
i've been super happy with the primitive minis as a whole and the emperor is cool as hell. there are a few others i'd like to see in metal like the primitive crossbow, which has a similar aesthetic to the emperor

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #45 on: 02 September 2019, 08:31:18 »
I have not gotten mine out of the box, so what are the white panels covering?
Covering the LRMs AND the standard connection point to the elbow.  The lower arm has the claws above the LRMs normally.  He has rotated it clockwise 90 degrees.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #46 on: 02 September 2019, 22:47:11 »
Okay, that makes sense . . . and OH, that prim Emperor rocks.  We had it on the table last weekend for the WWE, it was a nice hunk of metal and looked great . . . lol, faithless was a bit miffed that he had just done a bit to it and everyone was raving about how good it looked with his paint.

It was just how little time I spent on it and I kept getting compliments. It is a great mini. I still have a second one to build. I am using them as regular emperors.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 03 September 2019, 10:53:59 »
I like that!

Covering the LRMs AND the standard connection point to the elbow.  The lower arm has the claws above the LRMs normally.  He has rotated it clockwise 90 degrees.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #48 on: 03 September 2019, 21:51:40 »
I am using them as regular emperors.

Same here. Never was happy with the funky original version, but the Pr-EMP rocks! :thumbsup:

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #49 on: 12 September 2019, 21:28:10 »
The Primitive Emperor is a great mini, but having seen the original mini for so long I just can't make it an Emperor in my head.  My brain doesn't let that connection happen.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #50 on: 14 November 2019, 11:31:07 »
just put the Q3 offerings together this weekend (Scourge, Thunderbolt IIC 2, Quickdraw 8X). I'll add a picture when i get home from work

all three are basic 6+ piecers: leg leg hip torso arm arm + a few simple extras (the RA gun bit option for the Quickdraw and RT gun for the cThud).

The only extra work i had to do apart from the usual knife work for flash was to file down a flat surface on the Scourge arm balls - the receiving end isn't a socket on the torso so it's a bit tricky to get a bond for me on glues like that. I suspect pinning would be a snap if you do that kind of thing.

while not super posable without some modding, I personally prefer what's going on here with the recent sculpts in general - a slightly dynamic pose that implies movement (or that it's about to move more dramatically)

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 14 November 2019, 12:21:36 »
I am super, super curious for pictures of the new cThud.  Please and Thank You, Sartris!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #52 on: 14 November 2019, 12:51:29 »
Yeah, I got the Scourge and will likely assemble it this weekend- too much car & house stuff has gone on since I got it.  Pretty nice looking and I will be glad to plop it down with my other Regulan forces.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 14 November 2019, 15:04:52 »
while not super posable without some modding, I personally prefer what's going on here with the recent sculpts in general - a slightly dynamic pose that implies movement (or that it's about to move more dramatically)

That's my preferred approach too, but they don't need to make legs & hips separate to do that. The GOAC minis & KS mini art shows you can actually make dynamic poses.

And also looking forward to the pics!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #54 on: 14 November 2019, 21:22:31 »
the quickdraw had an additional bit for a more standard-shaped barrel

better shot of the cThud

« Last Edit: 14 November 2019, 21:26:13 by Sartris »

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 15 November 2019, 00:07:46 »
Mmmm, looks appropriately chonky.  Nice.  Thanks again for the pics!

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 15 November 2019, 00:55:51 »
I do wonder how feasible it would be to kitbash a standard Quickdraws head on the new one, for the non-torso cockpit variants.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #57 on: 15 November 2019, 07:17:57 »
Might look a little strange. The top of the torso is quite large so putting a head up there would be oddly proportioned

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: 15 November 2019, 08:13:28 »
Might look a little strange. The top of the torso is quite large so putting a head up there would be oddly proportioned
Is it that much larger than the original Quickdraw mini?

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 15 November 2019, 09:59:55 »
I was planning on bashing an -8P with one of the lance pack plastics, and this new 8X is noticeably chunkier that that old model.  Not that it looks any bigger, just thicker in parts.  It might look a little weird to just slap a head on top of it.  Plus then you'd need to sculpt over or cut down the torso cockpit.

On the flip side, I'm now wondering how I want to bulk up the plastic model I have, seeing the proportions of the new metal fig.

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #60 on: 15 November 2019, 10:46:53 »
I was planning on bashing an -8P with one of the lance pack plastics, and this new 8X is noticeably chunkier that that old model.  Not that it looks any bigger, just thicker in parts.  It might look a little weird to just slap a head on top of it.  Plus then you'd need to sculpt over or cut down the torso cockpit.

On the flip side, I'm now wondering how I want to bulk up the plastic model I have, seeing the proportions of the new metal fig.
TBH, the torso cockpit looks pretty much how like normal Quickdraw torso looks like anyway. I think if you just painted over it like the rest of the torso, it'd look just like paneling.

Though, maybe the original Quickdraw's goofy football head would look awkward on this more angular design.

Hmm...

Edit: wait a minute, isn't THIS an 8P? I mean the only difference it has the missiles in the torso that the 8X is missing, but the 8P has and i don't see the lift hoist of the 8X.
« Last Edit: 15 November 2019, 10:58:38 by Juodas Varnas »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #61 on: 15 November 2019, 10:56:27 »
You can probably find other heads that would work on that angular torso- right now I cannot think of any recent ones that are not connected to the torso.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #62 on: 25 November 2019, 13:57:44 »
Found a head that might work, the Centurion Omni has a separate head piece fyi.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 25 November 2019, 14:38:44 »
Okay, some more new sculpts.

* Anzu. Nice overall; legs, hips, torso, shoulders, and options for 2 models in the lower arms. Plus missile pack with choice of missile port plates. Came together well - great fitting points. Only gripe - why cast separate legs, but have them more or less static? They're too heavy to easily mod into motion. I've taken advantage of a filled hex base to swing the legs a bit apart, and have firm contact via pushing them into the base filler. Either go one piece legs & hips, or bend the darned legs!

* Sarath. Ummmm. Lots of bits - two torso halves, then three pieces for the head. Fitting ain't great, so some fill needed. The legs - static pose! You're already going over a hex base, so why not give it a sense of motion! Based, it doesn't look too wonderful; hoping by the time I metallic the spikes it looks more imposing.

* Dasher II 3 - nice and simple. Legs and hips on base, torso, arms, head PPC - nice and simple. A bit big IMHO, but looks good and will inevitably be called Clamps.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #64 on: 25 November 2019, 15:42:22 »
Yeah, the Anzu is a nice sculpt but it felt like the torso was a bit too small in relation to the legs.  Then I looked closer at the art . . . and yeah, its a leggy brawler.  My agent fixed the little magnets on the gun arm for me so it can swap between RAC & Ultra.  Used it in one DA battle so far, but I would love to field it with my Regulan Hussars company again.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 25 November 2019, 15:55:46 »
Well, it's with Fusiliers of Oriente for me, along with other loot reissue following the sack of re-regularisation of Regulus. ;)

How have you found the different versions in use? Mine - the RAC version - is assigned as bodyguard to a fast assault lance - Marauder II MAD-6M (ERPPCs), Emperpor EMP-6M2 (twin LGR), and Warhammer IIC 8 (HLL over Plasma Cannon). Two long range, two close range.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #66 on: 25 November 2019, 16:02:00 »
* Sarath. Ummmm. Lots of bits - two torso halves, then three pieces for the head. Fitting ain't great, so some fill needed. The legs - static pose! You're already going over a hex base, so why not give it a sense of motion! Based, it doesn't look too wonderful; hoping by the time I metallic the spikes it looks more imposing.

I just assume quads are going to be like this by default. flashbacks to the thunder fox.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 25 November 2019, 16:17:26 »
I liked the Sarath once I figured out how to put it together.

But yeah, quads are incredibly difficult to do in non-static poses.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #68 on: 25 November 2019, 17:00:43 »
Well, it's with Fusiliers of Oriente for me, along with other loot reissue following the sack of re-regularisation of Regulus. ;)

How have you found the different versions in use? Mine - the RAC version - is assigned as bodyguard to a fast assault lance - Marauder II MAD-6M (ERPPCs), Emperpor EMP-6M2 (twin LGR), and Warhammer IIC 8 (HLL over Plasma Cannon). Two long range, two close range.

I only got to use the G60 on the table top, I do not remember what happened when I used the other variant in MM.  It was a great mech for the scenario we were playing which involved getting to location to scan information and get it back to your side of the map.  Each player took 5k inclusive of pilot skills . . . I do not remember what else I took with the Anzu that I think was 3/4 or 3/5- maybe 4/4, I know I took some mag clamp BA to drop off.  The Anzu rushed the objective at the mid-field, using the Level 3 building to interupt LOS to a fricking LRM Kraken that was plodding in that direction and leaped over the Level 1 walls around the compound.  The Anzu was chosen b/c it had the armor to absorb closing in with the objective- it also had TAG and one of the players who I knew was going to be there was a huge fan of Semi-G so I expected him to have LRMs (he was on other side, Hello Kraken & Viking!) which would give my team options.  So I stayed up against the objective, blocking the opposing side's scan attempts while setting up my own.  My side got several though most folks had to go through the south facing opening in the walls.  I took a LOT of damage to the torso by the time I pulled out with the scan information and went running for my side . . . I picked up a Ice Ferret H trying to knock out the Anzu to prevent it getting the information back.  The Ice Ferret got behind me and managed NOT to take out my XL while burning off some of the last bits of armor on the mech.  Ranged fire and the Anzu's own weapons put the Ice Ferret down by removing a leg IIRC, and it let my Anzu get to the uplink to send the information back to HQ.

Lots of comments about how it was still moving with all the open locations and remnants of armor, but it kept the opposing side from scoring as much.  Pretty sure the UAC/10 did not lock up . . . made me really like the design and I have wanted to play it more, we just have not done the era.
Colt Ward

Register