Author Topic: 2 New Builds Need Constructive Criticism Please  (Read 1965 times)

SubtleAsAHammer

• Master Sergeant
2 New Builds Need Constructive Criticism Please
« on: 14 February 2014, 12:29:29 »
The 1st Build is a Battle Master 1S:

84.9 Tons
60KPH
526 Armour
15 DHS

Head: 18
Nothing stored

Center Torso: 82/26
Standard 315
2 Tons LRM-15 Ammo

Rt/Lt Arm: 56
1 LRM-10 & 1DHS

Rt Torso:56/16
1 Medium Laser
1 Large laser
BAP
1DHS

Lt Torso:56/16
1LRM-5
1Medium Laser
1Large Laser
1DHS

R/Lt Leg:72
1 Ton LRM ammo

Question could I swap a few of the LRMs for SRMs and have a more balanced Mech?

Build 2 is a Cataphract-1X:

56.7KPH
13DHS

Head:18
1 ton LB-10X

Rt Arm:43
1 ER Large Laser
1 Medium Laser
1DHS

Lt Arm:43
1DHS
1ER Large Laser

Center Torso:62/26
Std 245
1 Ton AMS

Rt Torso:43/17
1 LB-10X
1 DHS
1 Medium Laser

Left Torso:43/17
1 Medium Laser
BAP
AMS
1 DHS

Rt/Lt Leg:60
2 Tons LB-10X ammo

I use my Mechs for General Duty, I am not usually a Sniper but do have a tendency to Brawl though.

Let me know what you think as I would appreciate your input.

" We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it  with our babies." Iron Maiden

"Scream in Despair for Mankind." Bolt Thrower

"Cry Havoc and let loose the Dogs of War." W S

"World Zone Kill, Annihilate Mankind, No Last Offensive, All Resistance Ceased ." Bolt Thrower from The Killchain & Pride

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 2 New Builds Need Constructive Criticism Please
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2014, 12:51:31 »
I can't help you with BattleMaster, as I don't have that 'Mech.

I sold CTF-1X Cataphract, but from the quick look it seems to me that your -1X is a bit on the slow side, and it has too much Autocannon ammo for my liking.
I would delete one or two tons of ammo (and perhaps a few points of armor from legs, to make it fit) and replaced it with a larger engine (260 probably, if you have it from Catapult?).

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2014, 13:19:44 »
The 2 tons of LRM ammo in the Battlemaster's center torso is a red flag for me. Since everyone you fight will be gunning for your center torso. You'd be better off putting that ammo in the mech's legs or arms. Right and left torso are also an option if you are using a standard engine and CASE. If an XL engine, then right and left torso aren't good options either.

On the Battlemaster also, I'd probably leave it all LRMs rather than swapping out some of your loadout for SRMs. It will definitely dictate your tactics. You'll want to play stand-off and fire LRMs at every opportunity until they are gone (your mech will be more durable and less likely to go boom once the ammo is gone), then join in the brawl with the weapons you have left and fewer weapon groups to keep track of. But even if you get dragged into a brawl before your LRMs are spent, they are still good out to 180 meters. I've used LRMs in direct-fire situations before to great effect. But the underlying assumption is that this is intended to be a LRM fire support mech, at least for most of the battle.

I don't own a Battlemaster, or a Cataphract, I'm just thinking general tactics and loadout advice here.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2014, 13:35:37 by Alan Grant »

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2014, 10:20:09 »
(delete)
« Last Edit: 17 February 2014, 02:06:37 by Spheroid »

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2014, 10:50:42 »
IMHO, if they are that deep into your CT already, then your already having issues, having ammo there isn't the worst because unless your not running an XL, and using case, it doesn't really matter where you put it. The CT still has the benefit of the most armor.

In regards to 3 tons of LB-10 X Ammo, I only use 3 tons on designs where I know I want to stay back and take a lot of pot shots. You on the other hand can do that with your ER Large lasers so don't really need to take pot shots.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2014, 16:25:43 »
For the BLR-1S, if you only have one ton of ammo in each leg, the two tons in the center torso can be moved to the legs.  At only 25 tubes, swapping some out for SRM's makes less sense than swapping them all.  Four tons of ammo is actually low.  A good minimum is one ton of ammo for every five tubes.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2014, 16:34:12 »
That Battlemaster should have er larges

For the Cataphract... The 1-x is the base model so it shouldn't have dhs.

This is my custom Cataphract...

Standard engine, full armor, 4/6 movement 10/20 dhs, lb-10x with 2 tons ammo, 1'hvy ppc, 3 ml... Brutal and efficient

Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2014, 19:55:28 »
MWO doesn't have Heavy PPCs though :)

BLR-1S is one of the better missile boats to come out, with non-streak SRMs still heavily broken definitely favor LRMs, which means really need more tubes to be more than an annoyance boat/having AMS shred most of your rain. I know some people favor full lrm-boat (launchers and art-iv) but launchers and lasers as you have is a nice compromise, I'd consider dropping bap and swapping a large for a medium to bump up that LRM-5 or add additional launchers.

1-X, not much I can suggest as most of my concerns with your layout is due to my distaste for the weapons used (ac/10 over lbx and ERs only when snipping) aside from more boring brawler builds (AC/20 and five mediums)

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2014, 20:57:41 »
I think it also kinda depends on whether you want to be a full LRM boat for an entire battle or just part of one. I have a full-on dedicated LRM boat in the form of my Catapult. It's packed with enough LRMs that its rare for me to run out mid-battle. It has only 2 Med Lasers for backup. I fire off LRM salvos just as quickly as I can, as often as I can.

But I've had other machines that were intended to be more multi-role, that packed maybe a single LRM launcher and then other weapons. I had an Atlas configured like this for a long time. In battles with that Atlas I often felt like I was trying to unload all the LRM ammo quickly at a distance so I could take my finger off the number key on my keyboard that controlled that weapon group and then focus entirely on a fight with direct-fire weapons such as lasers and autocannons or gauss rifles. But that's because I've routinely found that I'm at my best with 2 weapon groups (2 button mouse). Once you add that third I'm alternating between tapping "3" and controlling the throttle ("w", "s") and that doesn't work well for me. So I made it work by separating those into two distinct phases or modes of combat, namely "LRMs" and then "everything else".
« Last Edit: 17 February 2014, 21:01:33 by Alan Grant »

Register