Author Topic: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)  (Read 169816 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: 24 April 2018, 18:23:27 »
Yeah I've been experimenting and no matter what you choose for your backgrounds you start with a BJ-1 Blackjack.

Which does make where you're from not matter a whole lot.  There are some dialogue options that make use of it but that's still a bit lack luster for my tastes.

I'm having to reload a save to try and keep a mech up and running through a mission while the Vindicator is being repair.  39 days to get that thing up and running.  That's a mite bit excessive.

Yeah, I'm trying to dig through the .json files to see if I can cut those repair times down a bit because it is a bit long to make getting off the ground reasonable.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 24 April 2018, 18:25:20 »
I did notice faction and background affect skills at least...

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #32 on: 24 April 2018, 18:36:43 »
Looks like a Blackjack to start.  Mines a Marik background.

Based on the Tutorial mission, probaly easier to code certain aspects if everyone has the same starting gear.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 24 April 2018, 18:40:45 »
I found what I think is the right json file to make repairs more reasonable but it has also clued me in on that maybe I can hire more techs.  Won't be surprised if that actually only comes later though.

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 24 April 2018, 19:27:16 »
Blackjack starter mech here, too.  I just wanna know... where's the manual that explains how the turn order works and what everything on the screen is for.  That 60-second tutorial was barely enough to move.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 24 April 2018, 19:33:28 »
Liking what I see! Just did the tutorial mission - bit clunky at first, but it works nicely.

Enjoyed the way you can customise your character!
Takahshi Langstrom - Drac-born, exiled, former merc reproting for duty!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 24 April 2018, 19:40:59 »
Liking what I see! Just did the tutorial mission - bit clunky at first, but it works nicely.

Enjoyed the way you can customise your character!
Takahshi Langstrom - Drac-born, exiled, former merc reproting for duty!

I'm extremely 'imaginitive' and used my real name :P

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 24 April 2018, 19:42:52 »
BJ-1 starter...kinda bummed as I was hoping different backgrounds would give you a different starter 'Mech.  Also, got whacked by Locust at what I hope was the end of the first mission.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 24 April 2018, 19:43:09 »
Blackjack starter mech here, too.  I just wanna know... where's the manual that explains how the turn order works and what everything on the screen is for.  That 60-second tutorial was barely enough to move.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/637090/guides/

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 24 April 2018, 20:01:50 »
Pretty sure i screwed up the start of this.  Going to reload after the second mission and not do what i did previously.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #41 on: 24 April 2018, 20:10:50 »
I'm wondering... is there any way to support the Directorate out of the box?  Or are we all loyal peons to continued aristocracy?
Directorate is the ****** aristocracy who set up work-camps for dissidents on frozen worlds with mosquitoes that can draw an ounce of blood each in mile-wide swarms.  Directorate is firmly in control, and supported by the Taurians.  Directorate doesn't need some petty turncoat and will gladly shoot you in the head and assign your mech to a more loyal follower than some rando who wants to join. 

I get that we have some friends of the Clans and House Kurita here who think that buskshot to the chest is appropriate treatment for protesters, and death camps are too good for them, but frankly, if you pass up The Sword of Restoration for her backstabbing cousin and uncle, a pox upon you sir.  They're the villain-faction and frankly I don't know why you want to support their 'Make Auriga Great Again' movement, even if you're hungry for variety.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #42 on: 24 April 2018, 20:17:43 »
Given that just about every background option seemed to end with "and then everyone but you died," I gave my character Lucky as a callsign.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 24 April 2018, 20:20:21 »
From what little I've seen, that's not what the Directorate was set up to be.  And seriously, what do you have against Taurians?

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #44 on: 24 April 2018, 20:29:04 »
From what little I've seen, that's not what the Directorate was set up to be.  And seriously, what do you have against Taurians?
I mean, once you see the first liberation mission and take note of who built that facility, you might see why I'm not happy with the Taurians in this game.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 24 April 2018, 21:20:43 »
Haven't gotten that far (the game crashed before I could even move my 'mech)... the story presented in the art book was that the Directorate is trying to break the aristocracy, not preserve it.

I have a soft spot for the Taurians, as they host the Explorer Corps sector HQ on Hellespont.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 24 April 2018, 21:40:53 »
The Queen got DFA/Melee'd by a Spider and she was nearly untouched.... on the first mission....

Well this will be an interesting game....

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #47 on: 24 April 2018, 22:07:29 »
And Tagged!

I will be doing a Batman play through (Iron Man sucks).

Let's compare notes!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 24 April 2018, 22:33:00 »
I've played what must have been 4 or 5 missions and I'm finally out of the tutorial and able to pursue contracts freestyle... I got a mission working for House Liao to go up against the MAF... the first time I wasn't fighting training targets or pirates.

All I fought was 2 Centurions and a Griffin, but after stomping on Scorpions and Galleons and the occasional Locust or Commando.. I was all "ZOMG I'm skerr'd"...

I can't remember ever being scared of 3 medium mechs before... and it feels glorious.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #49 on: 24 April 2018, 22:51:36 »
The Directorate sabotages your 'mech and then MOCKS you about it in the opening mission.

Screw them, I'mma smish them under my 'mechs toes for that!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 24 April 2018, 23:03:16 »
And that was after they sent two lances of mechs with vehicle support to kill you.

Hey, is it possible to deselect weapons when you're firing?  Some times I've got targets where it's not worth using all my weapons against them.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #51 on: 24 April 2018, 23:04:54 »
And that was after they sent two lances of mechs with vehicle support to kill you.

Hey, is it possible to deselect weapons when you're firing?  Some times I've got targets where it's not worth using all my weapons against them.

Hyep.  Click the little diamond/dot/whatever on the left side of your weapon list to deselect it.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 24 April 2018, 23:17:45 »
I...

I just finished a mission.  Won it with no serious damage or anything.

So the final moment is our ****** dropship coming down to pick us up.

It lands right the ****** on top of us, and crushes 2 mechs and kills both pilots.  I didn't even have a chance to move them out of the way or anything 0.o

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #53 on: 24 April 2018, 23:19:55 »
Initial thoughts, difficult, and enjoyably slow paced, but very good with lots of details and things to.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 24 April 2018, 23:23:16 »
I...

I just finished a mission.  Won it with no serious damage or anything.

So the final moment is our ****** dropship coming down to pick us up.

It lands right the ****** on top of us, and crushes 2 mechs and kills both pilots.  I didn't even have a chance to move them out of the way or anything 0.o

Dropship landing zones are dangerous places to be. ^-^

That said, it's probably a bug.

What's definitely not a bug is this LRM-20+++ and PPC++ that I picked up to the tune of nearly a million c-bills.  Holy shit they're worth every penny.  Shooting both at the same target will routinely strip armor off of two or three sections at a time and maxes out stability damage in one go.  Using a called shot is basically a 50-50 chance of a mission kill with one button click.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 24 April 2018, 23:59:34 »
You found Clantech weapons?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 25 April 2018, 00:08:11 »
Dropship landing zones are dangerous places to be. ^-^

That said, it's probably a bug.

What's definitely not a bug is this LRM-20+++ and PPC++ that I picked up to the tune of nearly a million c-bills.  Holy shit they're worth every penny.  Shooting both at the same target will routinely strip armor off of two or three sections at a time and maxes out stability damage in one go.  Using a called shot is basically a 50-50 chance of a mission kill with one button click.

Yeah I had absolutely no indication the dropship was even about to land, much less where.  Usually the missions just end, rather than watching the dropship come down 0.o

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 25 April 2018, 00:38:13 »
Just cleared the intro mission. I found it incredibly funny for some reason when my Blackjack headbutted the Royal Guard's Shadowhawk, knocking him over with one hit and I then started stomping him while he was down.

Really looking forward to digging even more into the game, I am loving it thus far!

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #58 on: 25 April 2018, 03:56:01 »
I've played what must have been 4 or 5 missions and I'm finally out of the tutorial and able to pursue contracts freestyle... I got a mission working for House Liao to go up against the MAF... the first time I wasn't fighting training targets or pirates.

All I fought was 2 Centurions and a Griffin, but after stomping on Scorpions and Galleons and the occasional Locust or Commando.. I was all "ZOMG I'm skerr'd"...

I can't remember ever being scared of 3 medium mechs before... and it feels glorious.

I got:
- "OH CRAP the 'Heavy Vehicle' is a freaking Demolisher!"
- "Okay, it seems that the enemy has some mediums... and a *heavy*!? (Which I then promptly headshotted and salvaged.)"

I also have gotten a lot of brain rattling. So many pilots spending time in the infirmary. (Looking at you Pinball. First mission after being in the medbay for two months, headshotted and back into the medbay.)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #59 on: 25 April 2018, 04:25:32 »
I got:
- "OH CRAP the 'Heavy Vehicle' is a freaking Demolisher!"
- "Okay, it seems that the enemy has some mediums... and a *heavy*!? (Which I then promptly headshotted and salvaged.)"

I also have gotten a lot of brain rattling. So many pilots spending time in the infirmary. (Looking at you Pinball. First mission after being in the medbay for two months, headshotted and back into the medbay.)

Could be worse, first two missions after the tutorial missions MY character was in the infirmiry :P

Register