Author Topic: Comiseration with *that* guy. Anyone else unhappy with HBS BT?  (Read 10303 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Comiseration with *that* guy. Anyone else unhappy with HBS BT?
« Reply #60 on: 11 January 2019, 21:36:19 »
That is a nice feature and the way HBS has designed their game the limited range is not as much of a drawback.

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 12 February 2019, 02:01:39 »
I can't stand the game.  When viewed as a Battletech game(which is fair, considering the name), elements have been simplified for the sake of simplification and ease of production.  See: physical attacks.  Strategy of movement and any lingering value of light 'Mechs has been brutally erased.

It's more comfortable to view it as a turn-based take on Mech Commander.  Simple to play(although much slower in this format) and best regarded as a guided tour of a storyline.  In that light, it does better, but it's still not a particularly enjoyable game to play due to the weak story.  YMMV.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #62 on: 12 February 2019, 08:18:09 »
The first MechCommander is my second favorite BT game behind MW2 Mercs. This newest one invokes very little of the fun I had playing MC1. I wasn’t expecting a board game reproduction, but there’s something missing for me. I have a pretty good internal compass for figuring out in the first half hour if I’m going to still like the game at the end (barring massive third act screwups) and the almost the only reason I kept at it after the first few missions was name brand (it was like final fantasy xiii all over again)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 13 February 2019, 04:03:23 »
I enjoyed the game, but it had a limited lifespan.

I wouldn't say it was terrible, but I had a lot more fun with MechCommander 1 or 2. I found they had much better replay ability too.

That being said and told, MC 1 and 2 were made by mature games development studios and published by large publishers.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #64 on: 21 February 2019, 10:45:27 »
I don't get outnumbered 2-to-1, I get outnumbered 3-to-1. With 'Mechs! On 2-skull contracts!! Can't I fight a Hetzer battalion for a change? Restart with easier difficulty.

Otherwise I'm unsatisfied with geography and the way it works: way too many cliffs, and woods don't interfere with LOS and weapon attacks. And can't do weapon and physical attacks in the same turn/round :ticked:

'Mech customization seems to fall into Class A Refit in StratOps rules, except critical space within the location isn't an issue. Works for me :thumbsup:
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #65 on: 21 February 2019, 17:29:15 »
Well, you can fire Small Lasers and Machine Guns when you physical, but I agree with your overall point.  What I wouldn't give to be able to simply jump behind a target and do normal physicals.  As it is, your only option to physical when jumping is a death from above.

Register