Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 161706 times)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1020 on: 10 December 2018, 17:27:26 »
I don't understand why people get mad at the IP holders for suing someone wanting to use that IP without permission to make a large production.

Axanar isn't some small-time fan production like what usually gets rightly ignored, they ran a kisckstarter to raise a bunch of money to hire real actors and a real production crew making real sets and props, and they got a ton of press.

And don't forget, even if their swag didn't Say Star Trek on it, they were still using the production of Axanar to sell all kinds of things, so they were still making money off the Star Trek IP even if indirectly.
and that's why I'm mad at Axanar: Their very hubris is what killed the other legitimate fan productions. Yes, the IP holders would have done the same thing (demand that the fans stop playing & start PAYING) but it would have not been so political. That Axanar fought the IP holders into a ugly settlement still did the damage: Star Trek Beyond suffered greatly at the box office because the fans were angry at Paramount & CBS (the typical piss-poor marketing was only one nail in the JJ-Trek series coffin)… Why? Somebody has to be them in the story...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1021 on: 10 December 2018, 20:30:13 »
Like the live action Transformers movies, the new Star Trek movies are really intended for general box office flicks, not something intended for fans of the original series.  There aren't enough people in the world who care about (or have even heard about) Axanar to have affected Star Trek: Beyond's box office performance.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1022 on: 10 December 2018, 20:34:19 »
Yeah, but it doesn't change one fact; ST: DISCO is set in the same time frame as Axanar. And you know a lot of nitpickers will point that out.

Well, idiots gonna idiot. Nothing you can do about that and there’s no point worrying about it.

That Axanar fought the IP holders into a ugly settlement still did the damage: Star Trek Beyond suffered greatly at the box office because the fans were angry at Paramount & CBS

Ha ha, no.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1023 on: 13 December 2018, 20:28:44 »
Well we have trailers for Season 2 now:

https://youtu.be/x6eoD9rQHL4
https://youtu.be/GeIANVHJtfU

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1024 on: 14 December 2018, 05:41:13 »
Very different Season 2 trailer.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1025 on: 14 December 2018, 16:05:09 »
Hmm... looks like Michelle Yeoh is back, so I may have to track down the episodes she's in.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1026 on: 17 January 2019, 11:00:37 »
People outside the US and Canada:  Netflix has just added the 4 Short Treks.  Go to DISCO's section, then hit Trailers and Other, and they're at the end of the list.

I strongly recommend checking them out. Calypso, the second one is one of the best pieces of SF I've seen in a long time.  It might  make my all-time top 10 Star Trek episodes.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1027 on: 17 January 2019, 15:48:01 »
Michelle Yeoh is getting her own spin-off series set after her "return" to the Prime universe. Probably while acting as an agent of Section 31.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1028 on: 17 January 2019, 16:51:32 »
Memory Alpha are explicitly calling it a Section 31 show

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1029 on: 17 January 2019, 17:00:51 »
Also starting next week in Star Trek Online, Age of Discovery shifts to Mirror of Discovery. There's gonna be two additional Discovery Missions and the Mirror Universe version of Tilly, voiced by Mary Wiseman, appearing. All running along STO's ninth Anniversary.

Also there is gonna be ST: D Mirror Universe outfits available, but they're Lobi only.  :(

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1030 on: 17 January 2019, 17:21:27 »
Michelle Yeoh is getting her own spin-off series set after her "return" to the Prime universe. Probably while acting as an agent of Section 31.
Sweet!  I'll definitely have to check that out!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1031 on: 18 January 2019, 06:07:33 »
Great start tp season two
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1032 on: 18 January 2019, 06:15:14 »
I felt they maybe overcompensated on series 1 criticism - I liked most of the jokes, but they were sorta overkill by the end.  The main plot was cool, the new arc is intriguing, Pike was cool, I like nunuSpock's voice at least.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1033 on: 18 January 2019, 12:25:35 »
Hm, an interesting review of the season premiere. Not sure I like this direction...

https://mashable.com/article/star-trek-discovery-star-wars/

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1034 on: 18 January 2019, 22:44:30 »
Pike is a welcome breath of fresh air for the show. It seemed like he took over the show and made it better for the crew to rally around. I wish this episode would of been more of a starter then the first episode of season 1.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2019, 22:46:12 by I am Belch II »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1035 on: 20 January 2019, 13:02:48 »
Still don't get who driving Enterprise while he runs off to command Discovery.  Kirk now in command?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #1036 on: 20 January 2019, 15:04:10 »
Still don't get who driving Enterprise while he runs off to command Discovery.  Kirk now in command?
I just got the DVD set for xmas and powered through the first season and saw the trailer posted for the second season so I know Pike is the now the captain of Discovery.  However does it really matter at this point who is Captain of the Enterprise is at this point (without throwing out any spoiler of season 2)?

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1037 on: 20 January 2019, 15:08:23 »

I thought that was very clearly explained in the season opener.

The Enterprise will be in drydock for a long time, thus needs no real driver while it's laid up.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1038 on: 20 January 2019, 15:16:49 »
Kirk now in command?
Of course he is, and this time he even made it to Ensign before they gave him the captain's chair!  ::)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #1039 on: 20 January 2019, 21:35:29 »
https://mashable.com/article/star-trek-discovery-star-wars/
That screams out as someone who will never be pleased. He clearly has one vision of what it must look like and anything else is a failure to him.

I watched that episode and never got a sense that I was watching Star Wars.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1040 on: 20 January 2019, 22:35:47 »
I think you've just described every fandom everywhere.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1041 on: 21 January 2019, 02:11:24 »
Is there anything in prior canon about Pike having had a command after Enterprise?  Or that Enterprise had another captain between Pike and Kirk?

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1042 on: 21 January 2019, 02:39:31 »
Is there anything in prior canon about Pike having had a command after Enterprise?  Or that Enterprise had another captain between Pike and Kirk?

Cheers, Gabe

According to Memory Alpha, Kirk took command of Enterprise immediately after Pike was promoted to Fleet Captain.  Star Trek.com says this was in 2262.  The Menagerie takes place in 2267, with Pike's accident in the middle.  For reference, DISCO series 2 is 2257

(edit for slight correction, DISCO series 1 was 2256, series 2 is 2257)
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 07:10:36 by Lorcan Nagle »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1043 on: 21 January 2019, 04:57:38 »
According to Memory Alpha, Kirk took command of Enterprise immediately after Pike was promoted to Fleet Captain.  Star Trek.com says this was in 2262.  The Menagerie takes place in 2267, with Pike's accident in the middle.  For reference, DISCO series 2 is 2256

I think the Lore and prior history can be thrown out the window. There was no huge war between the Federation and the Klingons, it was some small battles and a cold war...but nothing to the scope that had the Federation to the breaking point.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1044 on: 21 January 2019, 05:15:32 »
I think the Lore and prior history can be thrown out the window. There was no huge war between the Federation and the Klingons, it was some small battles and a cold war...but nothing to the scope that had the Federation to the breaking point.

Supposedly, the Four Years War (back when that was a thing) happened near enough to the time of Kirk that Garth of Izar was still the relatively young man we see in the original series...the actor that played him in "Whom Gods Destroy" was in his mid-30's when the episode was filmed, and if he had been in prison for a few years prior, that conflict would match up well to the conflict shown in Discovery...additionally, the Four Years War has always been described as very hard on the Federation, with the klingons penetrating deep into federation space...

No, I think we can discount this part of the argument...maybe it doesn't match exactly with what was "known" from before, but it's not that far off either...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1045 on: 21 January 2019, 07:46:34 »
Franchise is being handled by people who aren't exactly carrying about accruacy or even quality of story anymore.  The original Star Trek was written by authors, who were pretty darn good at writing science fiction novels aside from Roddenberry himself.

I squarely blame state of things on the ownership, it has been reported multiple times that head guy who runs CBS barely has inkling of what Star Trek was about.

When the Fan-Made stuff becomes superior to what is being made by the property owners, it that kinda sends off alarm bells except for the people who don't care. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1046 on: 21 January 2019, 07:57:39 »
Franchise is being handled by people who aren't exactly carrying about accruacy or even quality of story anymore.  The original Star Trek was written by authors, who were pretty darn good at writing science fiction novels aside from Roddenberry himself.

Yeah, what do Joe Menosky, Kristen Beyer and Nicholas Meyer know about Star Trek?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1047 on: 21 January 2019, 08:01:14 »
Yeah, what do Joe Menosky, Kristen Beyer and Nicholas Meyer know about Star Trek?
I meant when they got Discovery started.  You didn't think it was their choice to make Klingons look completely different from what they've been portrayed for last 30 years right?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1048 on: 21 January 2019, 09:19:15 »
I meant when they got Discovery started.  You didn't think it was their choice to make Klingons look completely different from what they've been portrayed for last 30 years right?

Like when they changed how the Klingons looked in TMP?

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1049 on: 21 January 2019, 09:29:35 »
I thought the Four Years War was something FASA cane up with for their Star Trek game?

Register