Author Topic: Robotech: Love Live Alive  (Read 8020 times)

awclawson

• Captain
Robotech: Love Live Alive
« on: 08 August 2013, 15:53:38 »
If anyone is interested in the new Robotech: Love Live Alive release I would suggest reading this first.  I bought it and am really disappointed.  To me all it did was sum up the Invid war through the eyes of "Yellow Dancer".

accurate review from genesisclimber7
« Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 20:33:27 by awclawson »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
Re: Robotech: Love Live Alive
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2013, 18:05:44 »
Duly noted.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2013, 19:09:19 »
No comment because any comment on the subject of HG, for me, would get me hammered by TPTB because of all the bad words, sexually suggestive and yet physically impossible to preform positions, and just plain HATE i could say, about HG and Robotech...

but TU for the consumer warning.  ;D

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2013, 20:08:31 »
Does it go into anymore depth about his initial recon invasion against the invid? I was always interested in more info about the initial fighting between the Southern Cross Earth Defense Forces and the Invid invaders. Of course, Lancer came after that but it still seemed like an unexplored area of time that I wish was fleshed out.
Made by HikageMaru

awclawson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2013, 20:29:39 »
Does it go into anymore depth about his initial recon invasion against the invid?

No.  It is mostly recycled footage from the Invid invasion series.  There is a teaser at the end that more is to come.  The review by genesisclimber7 at the link I posted is right on the button (have to click on "See all 2 user reviews").
« Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 20:35:25 by awclawson »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2013, 20:35:36 »
Robotech is nothing more than an old shambling zombie at this point. It really needs to be put down.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2013, 20:59:22 »
Well like your sigbar suggests Doug...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2013, 00:07:46 »
It wouldntbe so bad if they actually did something with the property, but at this point its just sad what HG does with it. I think they hang on to it, just to hang on to it.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2013, 02:55:00 »
DELETED
« Last Edit: 09 August 2013, 03:06:51 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2013, 14:25:15 »
It wouldntbe so bad if they actually did something with the property, but at this point its just sad what HG does with it. I think they hang on to it, just to hang on to it.
I was never the biggest fan, watched it when it first came out and moved on as it were, but what they've done with the property, the constant bait and switches, the recycling of material, the same empty promises for, what, 14 years?

Everytime I meet a hard core Robotech fan, I'm impressed. You guys have the faith of a Templar Knight, dudes. The fan base is really incredible, I just wish you guys had a company to back you.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2013, 19:04:03 »
I was never the biggest fan, watched it when it first came out and moved on as it were, but what they've done with the property, the constant bait and switches, the recycling of material, the same empty promises for, what, 14 years?

Everytime I meet a hard core Robotech fan, I'm impressed. You guys have the faith of a Templar Knight, dudes. The fan base is really incredible, I just wish you guys had a company to back you.

Speaking as a Robotech fan, this is how I feel. I love Robotech. I just hate the way that Harmony Gold have acted since about 2002 or so. Tommy Yune comes off as being a dick at the best of times, and he seems to be less interested in the IP as he is in putting his name on every flat surface he can come across.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have new product out there, and yes, I am interested in Love Live Alive (It's based off my favourite part of the orignal series, so yeah). However, I don't like a lot of the decisions that have gone on in the process. Of course, then flushing that on such dumb moves as a live-action movie that will never take and suing Hasbro over the SDCC Jetfire only serves to prove my point.

Between 1989 and 2002 the franchise was, in essence, on life-support. There was no new Robotech animation and, while a few ideas were launched, none of them ever achieved any serious traction albiet largely due to funds. (Robotech 3000, the one attempt that actually got anywhere was shut down due to unpopular fan reaction, though Netter Digital going out of business probably didn't help any). While there were still new comics coming out during that time as well as the occasional novel or RPG book (The part Palladium played in keeping the franchise alive cannot be understated). However, for the most part, it was being kept alive by the fans.

(Robotech comics are another ramble for another time. I could say a lot, but it would be one hell of a digression)

Yes, I don't like what the company does. But yes, I am also a fan. In fact, if not for Robotech I likely wouldn't have ever found Battletech in the first place (funny story that...) and I would like one of my favourite things to continue. I'ts something I've invested a lot of time and emotional energy into, and yes, I'm excited for this (Australian release pending...).

I can understand  why yes, a lot of people might not be happy and I'm not going to argue that. What pisses me off is that it becomes one of those things where by just simply saying the name you get a lot of bile-spewing hatred thrown back in your face.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2013, 21:16:01 »
Okay, I actually bought this. Why?

Because I'm a Robotech whore. Okay, that's not exactly accurate. It's not like a own a Southern Cross Polo, but I really would like to. [Must stop thinking about sporting that snappy looking polo with the Army of the Southern Cross emblem on it.]

It's more like I am a fan who'll buy a product when it's animated on impulse. Since I already had Shadow Chronicles(the only way that I know how to get Love, Live, Alive is to buy the two pack), I purchased it because Amazon had it discounted plus I had a five dollar off coupon.

I'm split overall on the decision to buy it. Love, Live, Alive is made from footage from a Mosepeda (the third anime that was used to create Robotech) OVA, Third Generation episodes, and new footage. Overall, the best thing of the new material comes at the very end.

The story is basically Lancer aka Lance Belmont or Yellow Dancer(oddly the character designer for Mosepeda was Yoshitaka Amano who did work for Vampire Hunter D and early Final Fantasy character designs though no Castlevania to my knowledge) recounting how he got to Earth as a member of REF and his eventually adventures with Scott Bernard's resistance group.  He recounts this tale to a reporter named Kay played by Wendee Lee. Eventually after repeating the same scene of Lancer and Kay talking with new footage of Kay drawing a picture of herself or stopping a recording device, Lancer does a concert, and then he meets up with his old crew. Kay storms off after seeing someone in the audience. Scott tries to convince him to join the REF again to help find Admiral Hunter which suggests that this takes place after Shadow Chronicles. Anyhow, Lancer after spending time with the gang goes to a cabin in the woords where someone is waiting for him.

As for the new footage, there is a scene of the first REF attempt to retake Earth from the Invid in 2038. It failed. Dana is shown fleeing Earth in Wolfe's Garfish with other Southern Cross forces trying to escape which includes Southern Cross shuttles of all things. Plus, Betas actually transform. There was the additional footage of Kay and other small new footage to help with transitioning, but the big one  is what came at the very end. At the end, Lancer goes to a cabin where Sera, the other daughter of the Invid Regess, is waiting for him. Most of the footage came from the Mosepda OVA version, but at the tail end, new footage is added of Sera holding her hand over her stomach telling Lancer that there were going to bethree of them soon. In other words, Sera is pregnant with an evolved Invid/human hybrid. At the end, there is a preview for Shadow Chronicles done in the style of Robotech previews.

Overall, Love, Live, Alive is not a necessary purchase for most including a lot of Robotech fans. In fact, it's mostly like Operation Robotech: it features a character narrating about events of the show. Some of the returning voice actors are kind of awful; Rook and Rand sound incredibly old like a retirees. Gregory Snegoff, Wendee Lee, Barabara Goodson, and Cam Clarke do good performances, but a lot of lines were archival especially for the episode footage. Also, they somehow found the original Robotech narrator who sounds different.

That gets me to a point that if I had been editing; I'd probably had used Shadow Chronicles footage at certain parts. Footage during the Battle of Reflex Point comes directly from the episodes with the original voice actors thanks to archival audio being reused too boot. Yeah, that's going to help people figure out things when Dan Warren plays Reinhardt in Shadow Chronicles which comes after this one. Since you've got most of the actors, you might as well record clarifying lines for certain scenes.

My big problem with the release is in fact Harmony Gold for once. In the past, I've defended them even on these boards. However, the fact that Harmony Gold sued Hasbro over a Jetfire colored Skystriker; I'm a little steamed with them. Considering that Harmony Gold is a conglomerate with a media division that seems to be more concerned with its real estate holding which apparently that's where Shadow Chronicles profits went to keep them liquid during the 2008 Housing Crisis, I'm a bit let down.

As Deadborder already recounted of the dead years for Robotech fans, a lot of us thought that Shadow Chronicles would lead to better days or possibly a new series or at least a couple more movies. However, Harmony Gold is more concerned with the possibility of the Warner Brothers movie than finishing up the story and the real estate holdings. At this point, I hope Hasbro beats Harmony Gold and then buys them and Big West. And then the Hub gets a new Robotech animated series. Plus, the Macross fans might get their later Macross series (though I suggest never watching Macross 7 because it hurt me badly) released in the US since no one could complain on either side of the pacific. Except for the Battletech fans who want the unseen still, it's a win for everyone, but there is always the possibility that the House that Optimus, Joe, and Ponies built will sign a deal for Topps and Catalyst to feature the art as long as certain rules are followed.

It's an insane dream, but as someone who like SDF Macross and Macross Plus but loathes pretty much everything else Macross including Frontier which was too Moe, I think it'd be the most fare outcome to settle the issue in my life time.   

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2013, 22:28:10 »
The sad part is I actually liked the Shadow Chronicles. It had plenty of problems true (Where is the rest of Scott Bernards resistance group? Why does the SDF-3 look like that? A refit just doesn't cut it for me, No sign of Max and Myria or Dana, heck, no continuation beyond lets find the SDF-3, etc, etc) but at least it was an attempt to continue the story!

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2013, 22:54:18 »
Uh... im happy if the Project Phoenix art becomes the standard and the unseen art becomes... nothing. a unseen or unneeded memory...

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 August 2013, 22:57:33 »
Uh... im happy if the Project Phoenix art becomes the standard and the unseen art becomes... nothing. a unseen or unneeded memory...

Sorry, to me there a integral part of canon. One not shown much anymore, but still integral.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2013, 23:21:07 »
The sad part is I actually liked the Shadow Chronicles. It had plenty of problems true (Where is the rest of Scott Bernards resistance group? Why does the SDF-3 look like that? A refit just doesn't cut it for me, No sign of Max and Myria or Dana, heck, no continuation beyond lets find the SDF-3, etc, etc) but at least it was an attempt to continue the story!

A lot of those issues can be answered by reading Prelude to Shadow Chronicles which use to be widely available as a trade paperback at most major bookstores. It even had Rem and Dana in a scene.   

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2013, 00:51:49 »
It wouldnt be so bad if they actually did something with the property, but at this point its just sad what HG does with it. I think they hang on to it, just to hang on to it.

I say this as someone that truly dislikes the current Creative Director for Robotech at Harmony Gold, but this is a ridiculous statement. In the last decade they have released a wholly original animated movie (The Shadow Chronicles), a partial adaptation (Robotech: Love, Live, Alive), 4 comic series (with 2 more on the horizon), re-licensed the RPG, a new miniatures game is on the way and released 4 videogames (2 console, 2 cellphone). I cannot believe I am forced to actually defend HG and Tommy Yune, but come on, be a tad bit objective. They've done something (several somethings) with the property.

As for R:LLA, eh....about the only thing I enjoyed was the 5 seconds that a MAC III Little Monster (REF Destroid from The Sentinels) appeared on screen and the oh-so-brief Veritech Condor combat scene. Tommy sometimes actually does good artwork, like this promotional piece for R:LLA. The rest of it was a mediocre retelling of New Generation in my opinion with a few plot twists at the end. About the only thing it did do was resolve some lingering questions regarding the timing of Scott and Ariel's appearance in The Shadow Chronicles due to the noticeable advancement of the seasons following The Battle of Reflex Point in Symphony of Light.

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2013, 00:59:16 »
One day i'll make you see the light on Macross 7, Harlock  ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2013, 01:05:17 »
I say this as someone that truly dislikes the current Creative Director for Robotech at Harmony Gold, but this is a ridiculous statement. In the last decade they have released a wholly original animated movie (The Shadow Chronicles), a partial adaptation (Robotech: Love, Live, Alive), 4 comic series (with 2 more on the horizon), re-licensed the RPG, a new miniatures game is on the way and released 4 videogames (2 console, 2 cellphone). I cannot believe I am forced to actually defend HG and Tommy Yune, but come on, be a tad bit objective. They've done something (several somethings) with the property.

As for R:LLA, eh....about the only thing I enjoyed was the 5 seconds that a MAC III Little Monster (REF Destroid from The Sentinels) appeared on screen and the oh-so-brief Veritech Condor combat scene. Tommy sometimes actually does good artwork, like this promotional piece for R:LLA. The rest of it was a mediocre retelling of New Generation in my opinion with a few plot twists at the end. About the only thing it did do was resolve some lingering questions regarding the timing of Scott and Ariel's appearance in The Shadow Chronicles due to the noticeable advancement of the seasons following The Battle of Reflex Point in Symphony of Light.

All true, yes but most of these are recent. The game for the phone is minor league and long out of date. The Shadow Chronicles was good work and its minor success got them to to restart the RPG. The miniature's game though was something that someone came up with and went to HG to get into production. HG did nothing but give the OK on that one and as for comics, well I hate to say but I bought most those that came out and once Academy stopped doing the Sentinals everything afterwords was pathetic. A few issues from Antartic Press and DC aren't anything to write home to mom about and the Sentinals died off in the early 2000's I think. Video Game wise only Battlecry was anything good and it did just well enough to give us a second game that was pretty forgettable and once again they didn't make the game, they just gave the OK to have them made.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2013, 21:18:00 »
The miniature's game though was something that someone came up with and went to HG to get into production.

So what? It shows they have a viable franchise (however little people think they exploit it). 

A few issues from Antartic Press and DC aren't anything to write home to mom about and the Sentinals died off in the early 2000's I think.

While I agree the Wildstorm comics were underwhelming, its still a coup that they got a major comic book company, DC, to be interested in the property.

Video Game wise only Battlecry was anything good and it did just well enough to give us a second game that was pretty forgettable and once again they didn't make the game, they just gave the OK to have them made.

Again, signs of a viable franchise, in spite of Tommy Yune......

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2013, 21:57:13 »
While I agree the Wildstorm comics were underwhelming, its still a coup that they got a major comic book company, DC, to be interested in the property.

Actually it's less of a coup then you think. Yune was allready working for Wildstorm when he became head of Robotech (and Director Of A Bunch Of Stuff at HG) and was apparently somewhere well up the food chain at the imprint. In effect, he licenced the Robotech comics to himself.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2013, 22:17:54 »
My argument is they have done little with the property but have allowed others to do the work and then just OK'd it then benefitted from it. And while I'm not sure of what they put into Shadow Chronicles I'm betting they only did so because someone else pony'd up the cash and the work and just wanted permission to use the name. HG is lazy and either use the franchise as a lifeboat when the real estate market is bad, a tax write off, or just keep it to keep others from using it.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 11 August 2013, 10:15:13 »
all three. honestly makes the most sence...

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: 11 August 2013, 21:24:17 »
My argument is they have done little with the property but have allowed others to do the work and then just OK'd it then benefitted from it.

That's pretty much SOP of any licensed property. Saying that Harmony Gold is a special case because they do this is absurd.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 11 August 2013, 21:59:21 »
That's pretty much SOP of any licensed property. Saying that Harmony Gold is a special case because they do this is absurd.

I feel the same way as Stormlion does.  In all seriousness HG doesn't really do anything AT ALL for the license product. They DO NOT even make attempts to really market it.  And I won't go into further discussion because I might violate some rules and I do not wish to do that.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #25 on: 11 August 2013, 22:09:02 »
My argument is they have done little with the property but have allowed others to do the work and then just OK'd it then benefitted from it.

Yeah..Topps is just sitting on the BattleTech and Shadowrun IPs just to sit on them. Topps hasn't done anything with
BattleTech and Shadowrun. Other people do the work, and Topps just OKs it and reaps the benefits. Why is Topps
holding onto the properties if they aren't going to do anything with them themselves?

"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 11 August 2013, 22:30:29 »
Bet when review time comes along Topps looks at its Battletech Portfolio with a whole lot more interest that HG does with its Robotech license.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 12 August 2013, 01:58:32 »
Bet when review time comes along Topps looks at its Battletech Portfolio with a whole lot more interest that HG does with its Robotech license.

It probably still looks at it like "Is this making us money? Yes..GOOD!"

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 12 August 2013, 11:08:38 »
Yeah..Topps is just sitting on the BattleTech and Shadowrun IPs just to sit on them. Topps hasn't done anything with
BattleTech and Shadowrun. Other people do the work, and Topps just OKs it and reaps the benefits. Why is Topps
holding onto the properties if they aren't going to do anything with them themselves?

maybe there are some actually fanbois in the TOPPS hierarchy, who actually care about the IP, so they sought to own it, to protect it?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 12 August 2013, 11:20:43 »
maybe there are some actually fanbois in the TOPPS hierarchy, who actually care about the IP, so they sought to own it, to protect it?

But, what is Topps doing that is different from what Harmony Gold is doing? What has Topps, itself, done with the
IPs? Has it done more then HG has itself with the Robotech IP? Looking at it from a completely detached viewpoint,
what has Topps done, itself, that HG hasn't?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2013, 11:55:35 »
if I am not not mistaken tops has done minor things like reviewing plans that catalyst /fanpro had, given input to try to grow the brand, considered tie ins with other products/or ip's that might work together etc. (I might be mistaken)

hg seems to viciously protect "their" ip,  including people who are not in any stretch infringing I use the mw demos because the way it was posted on like IGN the phrasing HG seemed to be implying that the jenner was also theirs

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2013, 16:58:51 »
But, what is Topps doing that is different from what Harmony Gold is doing? What has Topps, itself, done with the
IPs? Has it done more then HG has itself with the Robotech IP? Looking at it from a completely detached viewpoint,
what has Topps done, itself, that HG hasn't?
Licence it to companies that actually generate new content, advance the storyline, and grow the brand.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2013, 21:25:39 »
One day i'll make you see the light on Macross 7, Harlock  ;D

Yeah, that's going to be a tall order. There is just something that I can't get past with the Fire Bombers.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2013, 21:48:27 »
Only good thing I liked about Macross 7 was that the VF-22 from Macross Plus showed up in it. Beyond that it wasn't exactly a high point for the Macross Franchise.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2013, 09:49:20 »
theirs alot of low points in the macross franchise.  so in this case I'm saving the cash and not buying Love live alive.    Then again I'm a Kickstarter backer for robotech tactics.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2013, 10:58:31 »
Only good thing I liked about Macross 7 was that the VF-22 from Macross Plus showed up in it. Beyond that it wasn't exactly a high point for the Macross Franchise.

I know I am one of the few that actually enjoyed it.  Yes it could be a lot better than what it was but to me it was still enjoyable

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2013, 22:28:55 »
Licence it to companies that actually generate new content, advance the storyline, and grow the brand.

Wow, you mean like DC Comics? Maybe Ninja Division for miniatures? Harmony Gold is no different than Topps in that regard.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 13 August 2013, 22:36:29 »
Wow, you mean like DC Comics? Maybe Ninja Division for miniatures? Harmony Gold is no different than Topps in that regard.

but do they follow through? I'm still waiting for the next part of the Shadow Chronicles, but it appears that HG as soon as they saw the possible Movie deal dangle in front of there eyes dropped the next part of the series like a hot potato.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: 14 August 2013, 19:20:46 »
DC Comics did not grow the brand, instead retreading the same storylines that HG has. The RPG line lied totally dead for six years, and the miniatures JUST reappeared. I think Topps took interest in Battletech, for instance, because various companies had not let these aspects lie dormant.

It would be like if Catalyst had just stayed in 3025 and replayed the Warrior trilogy, and promoted it to a degree that can only be described as "invisible". I was at ComicCon when Shadow Chronicles dropped in '06, and it sure wasn't either HG or DC promoting it as a tie-in, it was the fan group in a small room. Frankly, there's been a whole host of bad business decisions by everyone involved... but it all starts, it would seem at HG.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 14 August 2013, 22:27:10 »
Look at it this way, years back HG dabbled animation, Robotech, Captain Harlock, the first attempt to dub Dragonball, Lensman, and a few others and even did a few movies. Shaka Zulu comes to mind. Then they let that aspect of there portfolio die off other than holding onto rights and creating lawsuits and headaches for people and focused on their California Real Estate interests. They did nothing to promote anything they did animation wise for years until the advent of the DVD and putting out Robotech, and I am pretty certain someone came to them to do Robotech and not the other way around. At the same time Animeigo put out Macross on DVD and it sold. To me it appears people have to go to them to have them do anything with the property.
Now Topps I think probably has a case of benign neglect for Battletech. They licensed the rights to Catalyst and as long as it makes money there happy, were happy, and all is right with the world.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #40 on: 22 August 2013, 16:24:07 »
I stopped by Palladiums booth at this year's GenCon. The Zendrati and Destriod Mecha looked awesome both painted and non. I was told that the minis would be also be sold seperately later on as more of a BattlePak style deal. Oh and they fit on the 1" scale as well.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #41 on: 22 August 2013, 17:39:10 »
Well, it finally came out in Australia, and I decided to get it. I balanced everything up and in the end made my decision based on one thing: the presence of a Condor on the front cover.

Because obscure and unused concept art desgins for the win.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #42 on: 22 August 2013, 23:47:32 »
The miniatures game looks really awesome. The Vertech Fighters looks really good. Think I'm going to pick this up when it comes out. The miniatures are a little larger then CBTs but still ok. That Monster Mini looked really cool.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass