Author Topic: A Reckoning  (Read 56019 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: A Reckoning
« Reply #210 on: 01 July 2020, 20:00:32 »
It may have taken me two and a half years to find this, but I'm very glad I did. I'm loving your work, and I wish you so much commercial success that you have more time to pander to us BT fans!  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

alkemita

• Sergeant
  • You have the emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAble
« Reply #211 on: 01 July 2020, 22:59:34 »
Just one more reason I'm reading this, despite not being a fan of the clans in any way...  :thumbsup:

Wow Daryk, that's quite a compliment - thank you. I'm neutral on the Clans myself, but always found them slightly unrealistic, so I'm trying to change that a bit here in future installments.

It may have taken me two and a half years to find this, but I'm very glad I did. I'm loving your work, and I wish you so much commercial success that you have more time to pander to us BT fans!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Worktroll - I'm glad to have a fellow Aussie on board! My dream is to be a full time writer, and when that happens, I'll happily do more BT fanfic - wait till you see my BT/Aliens crossover where Kai Allard-Liao fights alongside Ripley against a hive!  :)) (That's a joke, BTW!)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #212 on: 03 July 2020, 17:39:05 »

Me too.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #213 on: 03 July 2020, 19:14:05 »
this is nice, I like this.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #214 on: 26 July 2020, 20:58:21 »
Okay - this is a request for help.

Does anyone know how many factories/production facilities the FedCom had producing military gear around 3040?

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #215 on: 26 July 2020, 21:08:15 »
I looked up from the FASA book dated 1992, Objective Raids circa 3054.  Counting the captured planets by the clans it was close to 70 locations/corporation s that operated in the FC space.  From electronics to dropships.  I guess you could reduce the operating production centers from there to the 3040 era?

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #216 on: 26 July 2020, 21:09:13 »
I looked up from the FASA book dated 1992, Objective Raids circa 3054.  Counting the captured planets by the clans it was close to 70 locations/corporation s that operated in the FC space.  From electronics to dropships.

Thanks!

Shoot, that was a lot lower than I expected...  :(

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #217 on: 27 July 2020, 09:50:50 »
Which makes it so amazing that House Steiner was considered to be the wealthiest for so long...  ::)

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #218 on: 27 July 2020, 15:28:53 »
Which makes it so amazing that House Steiner was considered to be the wealthiest for so long...  ::)

Well, I only asked about military production facilities. Maybe the LyrCom is chockers with consumer electronics factories

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #219 on: 27 July 2020, 15:31:43 »
Well, I only asked about military production facilities. Maybe the LyrCom is chockers with consumer electronics factories

Or maybe the measure of wealth is the balance of the Swiss bank accounts (or bank accounts of whereever corrupt people stash their ill-gotten gains in the 31st century) of the nobility?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #220 on: 29 July 2020, 23:10:21 »
So alkemita I have to ask, on your play.  How was the table reading my now 16 year old finish his winter play 2 weekends before Covid crashed on us, lost spring and summer plays.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #221 on: 30 July 2020, 19:22:00 »
So alkemita I have to ask, on your play.  How was the table reading my now 16 year old finish his winter play 2 weekends before Covid crashed on us, lost spring and summer plays.

Hey Doc,

Thanks for asking.

That sucks for your 16 year old. Please tell them I think I know how they feel! My play was shutdown after just the third rehearsal.

The table read went very well. We filmed it in Zoom and uploaded it to Youtube, like two of the other original plays in the program, so that the stakeholders could see some return on all the work we did. Despite a few initial problems, it finished very strong, and I'm really proud and grateful to my director, crew and cast for making it happen.

A relative of mine sent the link to a friend who's part of a community theatre organisation across the country, and I was told they're considering putting on my play when the restrictions lift.

Now, I should get back to the next part of A Reckoning...

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #222 on: 30 July 2020, 22:02:33 »
Now, I should get back to the next part of A Reckoning...

Do we need to spot weld you to the chair, sir?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #223 on: 02 August 2020, 10:21:47 »
Do we need to spot weld you to the chair, sir?

Well, if you do that, I can't go running, and if I can't go running, I can't solve story problems like the absurdly low number of factories building military hardware in the FedCom...

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #224 on: 02 August 2020, 13:36:47 »
Well, if you do that, I can't go running, and if I can't go running, I can't solve story problems like the absurdly low number of factories building military hardware in the FedCom...

The chair has wheels. you can scoot around. we just want you in range of your keyboard (or wifi, if wireless keyboard)
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #225 on: 02 August 2020, 20:21:19 »
Nope he a theater guy, they have to be able to move to problem solve

I'm slowly learning this about them
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #226 on: 02 August 2020, 22:49:07 »
Nope he a theater guy, they have to be able to move to problem solve

I'm slowly learning this about them

Thanks Doc, you understand me completely on this one.

(And I solved the problem on this morning's run)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #227 on: 03 August 2020, 20:36:30 »
Thanks Doc, you understand me completely on this one.

(And I solved the problem on this morning's run)
no, not fully understand just kinda
why i know the songs and some of the dance moves to high school musical jr.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #228 on: 21 August 2020, 18:21:08 »
Forging the Pack - The Untold Story of Wolf’s Dragoons in the Reckoning
By Drs H. R. Cowan & T. S. Choi
Pub. New Avalon Press, 3068

There is an ancient saying in military circles – “Amateurs talk tactics, Professionals talk logistics.”

And so it was in the first half of the 3040s, as the clock ran down to the start of the Reckoning.

Politically, the Federated Commonwealth had entered a new phase. Archon-Emeritus Katrina Steiner died on the 4th of January, 3040. Although she had abdicated the previous year, her continued presence had been a reassurance to hardline Lyran skeptics of the FedCom, who worried that her daughter would be incapable of holding her own against her formidable husband. This was despite all evidence to the contrary, especially the way Melissa, while not yet Archon, had stepped in to defuse tensions in Skye.

Now firmly seated as Archon in her own right, Melissa Steiner-Davion continued to deftly thread the needle as the FedCom set out to prepare the realm for the expected invasion by the Clans. Although it was, and is, over-simplifying the issue to cast Hanse Davion as the “Warlord” and Melissa Steiner-Davion as the “Economist/Peacemaker”, both Melissa and Hanse were not above using those stereotypes when it suited their purposes.

With Project BUILDING having mostly succeeded in its goal of replicating Clan-level weapons and associated material (although outside the Project BUILDING compartment, the technology was variously referred to as “Star League-Level”, “Late Star League-Level” or “Royal-Level”) the challenge now was to begin the large-scale rollout of the new material across the AFFC and selected mercenary commands (including most of the AMC).

Given that this would involve over two hundred ‘Mech Regiments, as well as over ten times that in conventional forces and nearly three hundred AeroSpace Wings in front-line forces alone, it was obvious that this would have to be a phased program running over most of a decade.

The AFFC dubbed the vehicle to actually accomplish the uplift “Plan GUARDIAN”.

In a series of public briefings, it was revealed that there would be two major parts, or tranches, to GUARDIAN. The first involved refreshing units by the wholesale replacement of their combat vehicles with new-builds from revitalised factories. These would be “FC” series vehicles, which built on the work done by Blackwell Industries with the “WD” series ‘Mechs.

The FC-series brought the “plug-and-play” approach to weapons systems to the entire range of AFFC standard combat vehicles. They further improved on the WD-series by incorporating the means to quickly swap out fusion engines and other major vehicle systems – something greatly appreciated by the Techs.

Beyond the improvements mentioned above, very little new technology would actually be sent out at this stage. That would happen in Tranche 2. The official reason was that production of the cutting-edge components could not keep pace with that of what were essentially modified versions of common vehicles. This also led to accusations in the Estates General that the AFFC was not getting value for money. Various groups ran campaigns decrying the new-builds as “fitted-for-but-not-with” boondoggles.

Despite such criticism, there was much backroom political manouevreing to determine which units would be first to receive this bounty. Several times, the Marshals and Field Marshals who sat atop the AFFC were compelled to step in to restore order, such was the venom being thrown around, and the Sovereigns eventually issued a joint statement reinforcing to all involved that they had signed off on GUARDIAN, and that was that.

That was not the first time the Sovereigns had personally intervened in the process. Beyond much hand-holding and political horse-trading, they had also been the faces of the “Strong Future” ad blitz that sold the public on the enormous capital investment required to reopen the factories and production lines necessary to Plan GUARDIAN.

This campaign was considered so important that the contract was handed to the top Lyran advertising firm BeckerRomano & Associates, who had the deck stacked for them by the loan of a team from the FedSuns’ Ministry of Ways & Means’s Research Bureau.

We now know, from the Gorrich Leaks, that the blandly named "Research Bureau", seemingly concerned with measuring reaction to fiscal policy, was in fact the FedSun’s premier economic intelligence organ, charged with keeping an eye on the economic health of the other nations in the Human Sphere, in which cause they often worked with MIIO. Their use on this campaign has triggered ongoing inquiries over whether they exceeded their remit by operating inside the FedCom.

Although roughly half the money for GUARDIAN would come from noble and corporate pockets (lured by visions of profits to be made), the other half would come from the public purse, which had a negative impact on federal programs, which was why securing public opinion was so vital.

As for the role of the Dragoons in all of this, it was mainly behind the scenes. Public credit for enabling GUARDIAN went to the Helm Memory Core, and by extension the Gray Death Legion.

In fact, the Dragoons provided the technical missing links that allowed long-disused production lines to be brought back online, and made the large scale production of combat vehicles possible once more. They had started making copies of Production Control Modules (PCMs) – the vital ROM chips that made LosTech production lines possible – in 3030. Initially this was to reactivate the factories on Outreach, but they continued to build stockpiles of this vital component, which they turned over to the FedCom around 3039. Once programmed with the relevant parameters, the PCMs allowed long-dormant factories to restart production, and massively increased the efficiency of those still running.

The number of re-opened and new production lines activated thanks to the Dragoons’ technical expertise remains unknown, though some analysts have estimated the number at between 100-250. If the numbers at the higher end are true, that would mean that new production facilities were established from scratch – a truly staggering demonstration of LosTech recovery.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #229 on: 21 August 2020, 18:22:26 »
The Reckoning Oral History Project
Transcript - Amelia H. Molefe. Interviewed by Tomas S. Choi
Carleon, New Avalon, 07 November, 3064

Note: This transcript has been edited for clarity and does not match the associated AV file ROHP-MoleAH01-30641107

Choi: Today is Monday, November 7th, 3064. This interview with retired Sergeant-Major Amelia Molefe is taking place at the Marshal Binyamin Rand-Davion Veterans' Home for The Reckoning Oral History Project. The interviewer is myself, Tomas Choi, and I'm being assisted by Geraldine Lucas.
Sergeant-major, I'd -

Molefe: Amelia, please. I'm retired.

Choi: Alright, Amelia. Thank you for taking the time to sit down with us today.

Molefe: My pleasure. Thank you for the invite. I'm happy to share my perspective and experiences.

Choi: Can we start then with some of your background, and how you ended up joining the AFFC - excuse me, it was the AFFS back then wasn't it?

Molefe: Right, right. Well, I think you can hear from my accent that I'm neither an Avalonian nor a native Anglic speaker. I'm from Wedgefield in the Crucis March, where three-quarters of the population - including my family - are native Deutsch speakers.

One of my fathers was an accountant, and the other was a chef. I was an okay student in school -

Lucas: You graduated from Lion's Peak High School in 3015, right?

Molefe: Yes.

Lucas: So you were in the same class as [Hall of Fame ForceCross Star] Juanita Molson?

Molofe: [laughs] Yes, I was! My one encounter with celebrity. Although, we used to say back then that we always knew she was going to go somewhere - we just didn't know if it was to the big leagues or the penitentiary!

Choi: Okay, so tell us how you ended up at Point Barrow Military Academy.

Molofe: Well, I'd always been good with machinery - by the time I was 16, I'd helped my parents restore a couple of classic aircars - a '98 Avanti Celeste and a '87 Holden Emir.

We were looking at an engineering degree at Wedgefield State, but because my marks were only okay, there was no chance of a scholarship, so we'd be looking at self-financing and loans. We did the math around the dinner table, and it looked doable, but then in my final year of high school, Chef-dad, as I called him, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

That changed everything because the medical bills, even with the insurance used up most of our life savings - including my education fund, which I gave permission for them to use for treatment.

Choi: I'm sorry to hear that.

Molofe: Thank you - he made it though, lived another thirteen years, which was better than expected.

Anyway, so obviously, the illness didn't help my grades any, although we were able to get special consideration from the Education Department so they didn't slide too far, but the end result was that Wedgefield State wasn't an option anymore.

My parents refused to let me give up, though, so they looked around and [Point Barrow Military Academy] came up. It's got a bit of an unfair reputation as the school of last resort for Outback hicks, but they're really good at assessing on potential rather than straight marks because so many candidates arrive from worlds with severe educational deficits.

Choi: So before this, you hadn't considered a military career?

Molofe: No, not at all.

Choi: Please, go on.

Molofe: Right. So I applied to PBMA and got accepted into their Tech program. To my surprise, I found that we suited each other. They are very hands-on in their teaching - I think I assisted in rebuilding a leg actuator inside of my first month there - and that was just the way I liked to learn.

Lucas: Point Barrow has a reputation for being a high-pressure school -

Molofe: Ja.

Lucas: - did you see any of that?

Molofe: Oh yes, oh yes I did. Maybe one third of my class dropped out within the first six months. In the Tech program, we were well aware that the 'Mech, or Fighter, or tank that we repaired this afternoon would be used in a field op by fellow cadets the next morning, so there was certainly that constant awareness that the lives of our classmates and officers were in our hands. Not everyone could take that, but for some reason I could.

Choi: What happened after you graduated?

Molofe: I was assigned to the Remagen [Crucis March Militia] as a [Military Qualification Code] Tango-07-Bravo - a BattleMech Technician. A bit disappointing, because, of course, everyone wants assignment to a front line or glamour unit, right? But in hindsight, it was a good place to be for a junior tech. We did a lot of improvising and scavenging, and my senior techs were amazing at passing on their knowledge and experience, they made me a much better Tech.

Then, a few years later, I was transferred to the 12th [Deneb Light Cavalry] - finally! An front-line unit! I made Corporal, then Sergeant in due course, and became a supervising tech, responsible for all the 'Mechs in 8th Company. Very rewarding, that, especially when we started participating in the GALAHAD exercises and my team was able to consistently put at least 9 'Mechs in the field everyday - sometimes we had as many as 11.

Lucas: 9? As in 9 out of 12 -Mechs in the company?

Molofe: Correct. Remember, this was the LosTech era, not like today. We had lost so much, and supply chains were so damaged that during the Second Succession War, the old AFFS changed the definition of a "full strength" unit from over 90% of [table of Organisation & Equipment] strength to 75% TO&E strength. So, having 9 'Mechs ready to go everyday was a great achievement. Believe it or not, we got a unit commendation for doing that!

Anyway, I went to war with the 12th in 3029.

Molofe: Three years after the war, I moved into a new role - Logistics Sergeant-Major for the RCT. But I was only there for 5 months before they called for volunteers to go on exchange with the [Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces]. Since I spoke Deutsch, the [Personnel Department] strongly suggested that I would be a good candidate, and since I was a good soldier, I volunteered [Laughs].

Lucas: You were assigned to the 26th Lyran Guards RCT right?

Molofe: Yes.

Choi: What was your role with the 26th?

Molofe: The Lyran title was "Hauptfeldwebel" which is literally "Head Field Guide", but in terms of actual responsibility, it was their equivalent of the AFFS Logistics Sergeant-Major, so I was doing the same job. That's a title, by the way, not a rank - the actual rank of a Hauptfeldwebel was actually Staff Sergeant Major in the old ranks, which was the equivalent of my AFFS rank of Sergeant Major. Aren't you glad we created a whole new rank system?

Choi: How was your integration with the 26th? We know there were some problems with the early exchanges -

Molofe: I didn't have any problems - well, perhaps I should say I didn't have any major problems. Maybe 90% of the issues I had came from the differences between Wedgefield Deutsch and Tharkad-Standard Deutsch, but as I said, those were minor only.

Choi: So there weren't a lot of cultural missteps and -

Molofe: Oh, there were a few, but this was an exchange, right, so some initial problems are only to be expected -

Choi: Okay -

Molofe: - and we were the third or fourth group of exchanges, you know? Not the first, so we all got a very good briefing before we left that minimised that sort of thing.

Choi: Can you compare the 26th to your previous unit?

Molofe: In what sense?

Choi: Quality, readiness, leadership -

Molofe: Ah. The 12th and the 26th were very different types of formations, you understand. I'd hesitate to -

Choi: Oh, I'm not asking who'd -

Molofe: - choose one over the other, so -

Choi: - win in a fight between them -

Molofe: Right, right -

Choi: - just what differences struck you, especially given these days there's less of a difference between the two state commands, you know, like how two [Davion] Guards RCTs now have Lyran-born commanders, and one of the Royal Guards has a Feddie CO.

Molofe: Well, I think the differences had more to do with the different set-ups of the units rather than where they were raised.

Lucas: You mean like how the 12th Deneb is built for raids and strikes, while the 26th Lyran was heavy unit?

Molofe: Exactly, exactly. Those are different mission sets and lead to different mentalities. In the 12th Deneb, speed of action and the ability to adapt on the move was highly prized, because that's what will keep you alive in the kinds of missions you can expect to receive.

Choi: Yes.

Molofe: Whereas in the 26th, the emphasis was on deliberate and vigorous execution of the plan, again because of the way they were set up, with all the heavy 'Mechs and tanks. Now, just because the [Deneb Light Cavalry] were good at improvising, it didn't mean they never planned, and just because the Lyran Guards planned how best to use their assets didn't mean they never changed that plan when the situation changed too.

Choi: Alright, I want to move ahead a few years to 3042 and Plan GUARDIAN -

Molofe: Ah, yes!

Choi: The records tell us that you were the 26th's project officer for that. Can you tell us how you got involved?

Molofe: Well, there had been rumours flying around that LosTech weapons were coming soon ever since the Fourth War. And we'd seen some of the early stuff too - [the 26th Lyran Guards] crossed paths with the 3rd [Lyran] Royal Guards in the mid-30s and our eyes were like that when we saw what [double heat sinks] did for their combat performance.

So we were not too surprised that eventually new equipment would reach us. What was surprising was the way it happened in... yes, it was 3042.

I remember I was in my Friday afternoon planning meeting with my Techs when I got word that the C.O. [Leutnant General Joy Corelli] had called a staff meeting.

Well, honestly I cursed that the meeting hadn't been put on my schedule, but I soon found out that no one else knew anything about it when I arrived at the conference room.

There was one stranger there -

Lucas: Sorry, could you just give us a sense of who was in the meeting?

Molofe: General Corelli, the XO, General Green-Davion, all the regimental C.O.s, their XOs and sergeants-major, as well as all the staff heads.

Lucas: So, about 30 people in all?

Molofe: That sounds about right, yes.

Choi: Go on.

Molofe: Where was I...?

Choi: You were saying there was one stranger in the room -

Molofe: Right! It was a [Replacement Depot Corps] Colonel - I think his name was... McAskill! Yes, it was Colonel McAskill.

General Corelli told us that Colonel McAskill was here to coordinate the rearmament of the 26th as part of Plan GUARDIAN, and she turned the meeting over to him.

The colonel told us that Plan GUARDIAN%u2019s goal was to completely re-equip the entire AFFC over the next decade. Because of the 26th's location and station (we were based on Tamar) we were fairly high up the list. He told us that the [Lyran] Royal Guards and Davion Guards were being re-equipped as we spoke, so we were in the second wave. Not too shabby.

It was the next two things he said that shocked us. The first was that every weapons platform in the RCT that wasn't man-portable was going to be replaced. Tanks, fighters, arty, the whole lot. That was a huge morale boost for us because we all expected the 'Mechs to get done first, but it was now clear that everyone was being treated equally.
The second bombshell - and I use the term deliberately - that he dropped was that not only was everything going to be replaced, we were also going to get brought up to actual book strength.

You know how I said earlier that I got a commendation for putting 9 'Mechs in the field? Well that company only had 11 'Mechs, total, so it was actually considered full strength.

Choi: Can you give us an idea of the deficiencies in the 26th?

Molofe: Well, I'm going by memory here - we were authorized 120 BattleMechs. We actually had... 107, 109? Something like that, certainly not more than 110.

In tanks, it was similar. Authorised 120 heavy tanks, actual number was around 90. Light tanks authorised was 240, we actually had about 200. Yes, I know that sounds backwards from a normal RCT allocation, but General Corelli liked having additional scouts and harrassers to drive the enemy to her heavy 'Mechs.

Our AeroSpace forces were short a squadron, so 30 versus 36 authorised.

We were actually overstrength in our artillery - we had 42 tubes instead of the authorised 36, and that caused problems for our GUARDIAN refit because - or do you want to talk about that later?

Choi: That might be better, yes. So, given how troop strength definitions had been revised during the Succession Wars, even with those material shortages -

Molofe: Ja, we were considered full strength. The LCAF, by the way, used a different number, 80% of TO&E was full strength to them.

Choi: So, take us through the process for implementing Plan GUARDIAN.

Molofe: You know there were actually two parts to the plan, right?

Lucas: Yes, we know. Do you have any comment on the way it was structured?

Molofe: Oh, in hindsight, it makes sense, but I'd be lying if I said we weren't disappointed that the new tech wasn't coming right away.

It's... It's the change in mindset that we needed to undergo, you know? Seeing the vehicle and it's weapons loadout as complementary, but separate systems.

Choi: Tell us about part one.

Molofe: Okay, so, Colonel McAskill told us that in Part 1, we would be getting new-build vehicles to replace our existing ones on a one-to-one basis - plus extras to bring us up to full book strength, right?

Even though there wasn't any LosTech on the new vehicles, I was very happy with this.

Choi: Why?

Molofe: Well, as a former Tech, I was all too aware that the older the equipment the worse it is to maintain. And with supply lines being the way they were, some of the jerry-rigging that we used to do just made things harder in the long run.

It;s things like, umm... the -2D Commando is supposed to require just 4 man-hours of servicing between missions, okay? So your average crew of a Tech and their three AsTechs can turn it around in an hour, right? But as they get older, it was rare that we were able stick to this timeframe. 12-16 man-hours was what it took now, and that's not counting repairing battle damage.

Also, there were things like... I remember back in the DLC, we ran out of coolant feed lines one time in the Fourth War, so I took a crew and we scrounged domestic feed lines from a local hardware store - the sort of thing you'd find under your sink at home, okay? And they worked, after a fashion, but we spent hours after the battle purging coolant systems because the the fluid was corrosive to the lines and we ended up with deposits clogging the heat sinks. Those heat sinks were never the same after that.

So, just having new vehicles was a huge boost to our capabilities. They don't break down as much, everything on them works the way it's supposed to.

But I'm getting off track... um...

Lucas: You were telling us about part 1.

Molofe: Thank you. Right - my immediate boss, Colonel [Jordan] Bass tapped me to run what we called "The Refresh".

Colonel McAskill had a small staff with him, and I tapped a few of my colleagues as well.

The first job was to take an inventory of all our equipment - which is a pain in the butt at the best of times, but we'd recently done one, so I asked Colonel McAskill if that would suffice. He checked, and the initial answer was "no". The guys running GUARDIAN wanted the info to be no more than 90 days old, and our inventory had been done 92 days ago.

But I have to give McAskill credit here - he went in to bat for us, and they accepted our inventory as valid for the refresh.

Choi: I'm assuming this was the standard LCAF annual inventory you're talking about?

Molofe: Yes, "numbers of", "condition of", etcetera... And believe it or not, despite the reputation of the LCAF bureaucracy, I actually found their inventory process easier than the AFFS one. I believe the AFFC's own annual inventory these days is based on the LCAF model.

Choi: Right. So you had the inventory -

Molofe: Yes, yes. We submitted the inventory, and a couple of weeks later, we got back a list of questions - mainly to do with chassis recommendations for the open slots in our TO&E.

Three months later, the largest convoy I'd seen since the end of the Six Months War grounded on Tamar.

I was there at Audrey Kelswa DropPort when they landed - dozens of DropShips coming down. And once their hatches opened, we sent in every [Low-Loader] and [Mech Recovery Vehicle] we had. The convoy brought some of their own too, so we could offload in a reasonable amount of time.

That was quite a sight - what looked like an endless column of 'Mechs, tanks and [Armoured Personnel Carriers] coming out of those DropShips.

Lucas: I have to ask this, mainly because it's become such a staple of media works in recent years -

Molofe: No, no one in our party cried at the sight. I agree it makes good viewing, but there was no crying, not in the 26th.

Lucas: What were you thinking when you saw that, though?

Molofe: [Pause] It felt like a weight was lifting off my back that I didn't even know I'd been carrying. I think I had a moment of that soldier's hope - the one wish we all have that maybe, just maybe, we've seen the last war and we wouldn't have to go back into the fire.

I mean, I was watching the AFFC replace all our weapons! Never mind that there was no LosTech on them. If we could do that, which of our enemies could challenge us now?

Choi: Like a turning point in history.

Molofe: Ja, and it was, just not quite in the way we thought.

Choi: How did the actual Refresh process work?

Molofe: Well, we were in only the second wave, so there wasn't a lot of experience I could draw on, but we decided to take a staggered approach. We decided that changing out a company/battery/squadron at a time was the most manageable way to go - as it turns out, this was the approach that most commands used.

We would bring the replacement vehicles down to the company's bay, laager or hanger, leave them, and haul away the old ones.

By the way, this also caused us some grief, because we'd all gotten used to repurposing unused spaces to store all sorts of things. Now, we were better than some other units, we didn't do anything dumb like keeping volatiles and ammo in the Mech Bays, but we had to do a lot cleaning out and re-packing, because - mein Gott - all the bays were going to be filled!

Lucas: This is the point where some MechWarriors, especially, had issues with GUARDIAN -

Molofe: You're talking about the "not like" protests -

Lucas: Yes. The 26th had spent centuries fighting the DCMS. You must have acquired quite a bit of Kuritan equipment -

Molofe: Ja.

Lucas: Where there any issues when you swapped over?

Molofe: Not with armour and artillery. Most of them were just happy to have new vehicles, even if some of them had to learn to use different models.

No, it was the Aero- and MechWarriors who kicked up the biggest stinks over this especially the MechWarriors.

Choi: Can you give some examples?

Molofe: Well, without naming names, of course -

Choi: Of course.

Molofe: And to be fair, the vast majority of the MechWarriors were happy with their lot. Ummm... we had two [PNT-9R] Panthers in the unit, captured salvage from long ago. They were replaced with [WLF-2FC] Wolfhounds, since, obviously, the FedCom doesn't manufacture Panthers. One Warrior complained endlessly about the Wolfhound not having jump jets like the Panther, the other never said a word.

Likewise, we had few complaints about swapping out Dragons for Warhammers.

The one real problem we had was a Leftenant in Third Battalion who didn't want to give up the  family Goliath for a new FC-series Zeus. I believe he was from Bolan, originally, and one of his ancestors had captured the Goliath from a [Free Worlds League] invading force.

Can you believe it - this Leftenant claimed that over the past two hundred years, his family had "evolved" - that was his actual term - "evolved" into quad-'Mech specialists!

Choi: How did the chain of command take that?

Molofe: Not very well - he ended up signing over the Goliath "under protest" but he did it. He did become a true believer later, during the Reckoning.

Choi: Funny how that happens...

Molofe: I know, ja? Look, we got off pretty lightly on that front. I heard stories from some of my friends on the Capellan front, right? Actual lawsuits being filed because they don't want to give up Vindicators for Centurions or Enforcers, or Catapults for Crusaders.

Lucas: Yes, we've interviewed some people from those units already.

Molofe: Is it true that a MechWarrior challenged the Archon to a duel?

Lucas: It was the warrior's father, actually, but yes, it's true - cited some never-repealed provision in the Kikuyu legal code.

Molofe: [laughs] Oh, I'd have loved to see someone try that on General Corelli!

Choi: Were there any issues in the 26th about giving up family-owned 'Mechs?

Molofe: Not at first - our upgrade was completed before the Barrington Case came up - that was the guy in the 20th [Avalon] Hussars, wasn't it?

Lucas: 22nd, actually, but yes, you're right, they were in the 4th wave, and you were 2nd wave.

Molofe: Ja, right. It's - it's another example of the mind shift I mentioned earlier, where you need to stop thinking about 'Mechs as a whole and start considering them in terms of connected systems.

I can sort of sympathise with the Mech- and AeroWarriors - finding out that they only owned the chassis of the replacements for their family machines must have been a hell of a shock, you know. Even though there was a clear provision that when they mustered out, they would have own everything their 'Mech was configured with at the time, so they would come out ahead eventually.

Choi: Did the tankers feel the same way?

Molofe: Not so much - but then, very few tanks are family owned. They were more concerned that the supply chain would bring in the promised upgrades in Tranche 2.

Choi: Getting back on track - so you now have all-new equipment in the hangers. What happens next?

Molofe: Everyone goes back to school. Colonel McAskill's team included a bunch of senior instructors to bring everyone up to speed on the new stuff. Now, I can't speak to the shooter end -

Choi: Don't worry, we've talked to some of them already. Give us your perspective.

Molofe: Sure. As a former 'Mech Tech, man, the new machines were so much easier to work on. I mean, when people said the FC-series was "nothing new" - and this was pre-Reckoning, right - they didn't know what they were talking about.

The FC-series managed to correct most of the deficiencies and quirks we knew so well in the 'Mechs. Everything from the Marauder's poorly armoured hips to the crappy ammo feeds on the Enforcer. That alone would have been worth it, but the quick-change tech they brought in cut our repair times in half - sometimes more than that. Even for a complete engine change - well, most tanks already had the system, but it was new for the 'Mechs to be able to yank out and replace a complete reactor in less than an hour - with the right equipment, of course.

And if I put on my Hauptfeldwebel hat, it's more good news, because now I don't have to stock four different models of Medium Laser - all the vehicles take any of them, and I can make the Colonel look good just by bringing in whichever there's the most of right now!

Remember that all of this was before we even got our hands on the LosTech in Tranche 2 - did you want to talk about that now?

Lucas: Actually I have some more questions about Tranche 1, if you don't mind?

Choi: Yes, yes, ask them. We'll save Tranche 2 for later.

Lucas: Okay, so we've dealt with the arrival of the new machines. What happened to the old ones?

Molofe: Ah, right. So we had to prep a holding area in our bays where the old machines would be brought - this was the main reason why we swapped out a company at a time - space constraints in the work bays.

Another part of McAskill's team, together with a some of our seconded Techs and AsTechs, went over the old machines and graded them as either "keep" or "scrap" - those aren't the actual terms they used, I've forgotten the real ones - "keep%" and "scrap" is what we called it.

Choi: That's fine...

Molofe: "Keep" didn't mean the machine was in perfect shape, the way it was explained to me, if it could be brought up to full function with a reasonable amount of work, it went into the "keep" pile.

Lucas: What was considered a "reasonable" amount of work?

Molofe:  [laughs] No idea! It seemed to depend on whoever the assessing officer was that day. I saw a -5S Thunderbolt get put in the "scrap" column because the coolant system needed a complete overhaul, but a Stinger was kept even though they ended up replacing both arms and a leg!

Lucas: How much of your original equipment ended up in either column?

Molofe: Oh, I'd say it was roughly one-third keep, two-thirds scrap. We got some of the scrap back though - mainly weapons, heat sinks and armour plate - for our parts stocks.

Choi: And the machines in the "keep" pile were of course, destined for units further down the priority list. Did you ever find out where your old machines went?

Molofe: No, they didn't tell me that. But there was a little incident with that.

Choi: Do tell.

Molofe: Ummm... so about halfway through Tranche 1 this was - one day, I've stopped back into the office between inspections to finish some paperwork, and Colonel McAskill storms in with his [Administrative Officer]. From what I overheard, they'd been ordered to speed up the timetable because the destination for our old equipment had changed, and they needed to be done two weeks early to make the shipping schedule work.

Turned out I'd just seen one of the last times the old Social Generals were trying to line their own pockets.

Anyway, McAskill got on the horn to his CO, ummm, what was his name? Oh yes! Ritter! Leutnant General Ritter, who got the orders belayed and reverted to plan.

Choi: Okay, so we've touched on the this briefly, but can you tell me about how the 26th coped with having their full complement of equipment?

Molofe: It was quite a pain, actually.

Choi: Really? How so?

Molofe: Well, understand that we had we had been under TO&E strength for decades, so our back-end staffing had also been understrength. We didn't have enough Techs, Warriors and so on to make full use of them.

Lucas: So what did you do?

Molofe: Pretty much what all the other units upgraded by GUARDIAN did, I suppose. Uh, Colonel Bass and myself did a recruiting drive through Tamar, looking for people we could turn into Techs and AsTechs. The Colonel let me do most of the work, I think because I had the Point Barrow background and was comfortable assessing technical potential, while he was a Sanglamore grad, and he was more comfortable with paper qualifications!

Choi: How did it go?

Molofe: Not too shabby. General Corelli got the Duke [of Tamar] to authorise a limited recall to active service for certain reservists, so we got enough Techs to cover our needs for the short term until our recruiting could kick in. Some of the retreads actually stayed with us long term though.

I didn't have too much insight into recruiting MechWarriors, but I did lose two of my Techs - they were dispossessed MechWarriors, and General Corelli okayed the transfer subject to them passing check-rides, which both of them did.

I know a couple of staff officers found themselves back in a 'Mech too, but by and large, my involvement was limited to making sure certain 'Mechs were ready for use to prospects could be checked out on them.

Lucas: Did the 26th use -

Molofe: "Combat Trials" to select MechWarriors? No - we sent them through the [Fire & Manuever] Ranges, but none of that pitting candidates against each other that some other units did. Besides, that was the kind of shit that the Clans did, wasn't it? I'm glad we didn't do that.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 12:02:07 by alkemita »

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #230 on: 21 August 2020, 18:23:01 »
Harlech, Outreach
Sarna March, Federated Commonwealth
March 27, 3042

Kasper Nowak blinked against the harsh afternoon light as he stepped out of Wolf Hall into the street. He plucked a pair of sunglasses from inside his jacket, taking his time negotiating the wide steps outside to give his stiff back time to loosen up, shuffling to the side to allow clumps of younger, fitter people, most of them in the dress uniforms of Wolf’s Dragoons, to stride past him.

He’d just spent the past couple of hours standing in the main amphitheatre of Wolf Hall – an enormous round space that could have held most of the Dragoons at one time, it reminded him somewhat of post-Vatican IV cathedrals, including St Eugene’s in Novo Krakow on Satalice where he’d once been an altar server.

The occasion was the memorial service for Seventh Kommando’s Team Silver Wolf. The amphitheatre had been stripped of all adornment for this, down to the seats, which was why he’s stood for so long that his back was protesting now. One by one, the eighteen deceased Kommandos had been acknowledged and eulogised by family, comrades and friends – even if the structure was overly formal and stiff to his mind, being a hybrid of Clan and Inner Sphere traditions.

Also, he had other concerns. Two weeks ago, Alex Mallory had been forced to step down as head of the Liaison and Coordination Group. Injuries suffered in the service of the FedSuns while undercover in the Capellan Confederation before and during the Fourth Succession War had flared up, robbing him of the stamina and concentration necessary to do the job.

The Sovereigns had promptly confirmed Nowak as the new head of the LCG, which was nice, but he badly needed a deputy, and they were still looking for one. The whole LCG was only six – currently five – strong, and there was more than enough work for twice that number.

The LCG had oversight over all the Dragoons’ activities, and their remit had steadily grown. It was Mallory who had strongly insisted to Jaime Wolf that he could no longer both run the Dragoons and Outreach itself on a day-to-day basis. This had led to the appointment of a civilian Prime Minister – one Jermaine Ducard - to govern the planet, with Wolf remaining the ceremonial Head of State.

In truth Wolf had probably seen the writing on the wall already, since he hadn’t fought too hard against the “suggestion”.

But he was sure to fight hard in the Command Council meeting that Nowak was heading to next.

Many of the Dragoons senior officers seemed to operate under the assumption that if and when the “Great Plan” kicked off, they would be fighting as some sort of semi-independent task force, going to turn the tide where the battle was hardest, a reward for their key role in uplifting the AFFC. No matter how hard Mallory had tried to disabuse them of the notion, they clung to it.

That belief was at the heart of many of the requests and stances they took in dealing with the LCG, and Nowak felt the weight of trying to accomplish what Mallory wasn’t able to as he crossed the wide plaza with increasingly surer steps now his back was loosening up.

His comm buzzed and he pulled it from his pocket.

“Nowak.”

“Sir, are you on the way to HQ?” came the voice of Miklos Sharma, his Executive Assistant.

Nowak looked up toward the far end of the plaza, where the Dragoons’ public HQ building was situated, facing Wolf Hall. He could see the tiny figure of Sharma pacing agitatedly in front of the sentries at the doors.

“I’m just coming across the plaza now, Micky” he reported calmly. “And don’t pace like that,” he added, “It makes the natives nervous.” Off in the distance, Sharma abruptly stopped pacing but his head continued to swivel looking for his boss.

Nowak shut off his comm with a sigh and made a beeline for Sharma. The man was great at his job, but a blind person could read his body language to find out how he was feeling.

As Nowak reached the bottom step, someone to his right called out: “Major - your left!”

Out of the corner of his eye, Nowak caught a swirl of black from a Dragoons dress uniform cape. He pulled up short just as a petite Dragoons officer did the same, the two of them just barely avoiding a collision.

“Your pardon, Major,” he said automatically, before recognition kicked in. She was wearing the patch of Epsilon Brigade, and her name tag said “Tzu-West”, but that’s not what provoked Nowak’s realisation.

He’d seen Major Tzu-West not half an hour ago, as part of the memorial service for Captain Reuben Salazar, the commander of Silver Wolf. Tzu-West had been one of the official mourners, forming part of a procession made up of Dragoons that Captain Salazar had trained.

“That’s alright, sir,” Tzu-West replied, sweeping out an arm to indicate her party, “we managed to distract ourselves with our conversation. Good day.” And she jerked her head to get her group moving up the steps into HQ.

“Good day to you too, Major,” Nowak muttered distractedly. He heard a clatter of feet from behind, and turned to face a very stressed looking Miklos Sharma who was tightly gripping the secure attache case, even though it was discreetly chained to his wrist.

“Sir, that was –“
   “Major Emilia Tzu-West, yes,” Nowak nodded as he continued up the steps, Sharma flying wingman beside him.
   “And she’s – “
   “Item five on the agenda,” Nowak interrupted as he and Sharma pressed their security passes to the sensor plate. “I did read it before going to the memorial,” he finished.

After they were admitted, they crossed to the elevator banks behind the foyer, past a massive Dragoons’ badge mounted on the dividing wall and took a ride to the third floor. There they passed through two more security checkpoints before entering another elevator, which headed down, way below ground level before spitting Nowak and Sharma out in a secure lobby.

One final security check, and they entered the spacious secure conference room. Nowak walked counter-clockwise around the horseshoe shaped table, past some of the screens and holotanks that ringed most of the room, to his usual seat two down from the head of the table. Sharma’s seat was behind his, on a riser, which allowed him to pass things over the shoulder to Nowak – which he did right away, handing over a briefing file bordered with security classification tape and featuring a copy of the meeting agenda on the front cover.

“Afternoon, ladies and gents,” Nowak called as he took his seat, his eyes sweeping the table. It was about half full.

Colonels Kelly Yukinov and Patrick Chan, commanders of Alpha and Gamma Brigades respectively, paused In their conversation to acknowledge his greeting. Colonel Stanford Blake, the head of Wolfnet, likewise smiled at him before going back to his tablet. Colonel Jeremy Ellman, dual-hatted as head of Training Command and Home Guard CO, did not acknowledge him, but continued talking to the grizzled tanker Captain that was his aide. There was also a Chief Technician whose name Nowak could never pronounce correctly, and a scientist he didn’t know.

When Nowak looked up again, the doors were just opening to admit Colonels John Clavell and J. Elliot Jamison, the commanders of the Wolf Spider and Zeta Battalions. They exchanged professional nods with Nowak and their peers as they settled in.

The doors opened once more, and a stone-faced Colonel Elizabeth Nichole strode in. She ignored everyone else in the room and took a seat at the far, open end of the horseshoe.

Nowak made sure his face was completely neutral and resisting the urge to glance down at the agenda. He wouldn’t have wanted to be in her shoes today. He glanced at one of the chronometers positioned around the room, and gathered his legs beneath him.

Just as the chronometer ticked over from 15:63 to 16:00, the doors opened a final time for General Jaime Wolf and his party.
   “Attention!” barked Colonel Yukinov as he shot from his seat, everyone in the room imitating him.
   “As you were,” Wolf said quietly, taking his seat, the others following suit.
   “We are in session at sixteen-hundred hours,” he remarked.
   “Rear Admiral Chandra sends his apologies,” Blake spoke up. “He’s overseeing an issue at the Yard.”

It could still send a shiver through Nowak to hear of “the Yard” being spoken of so casually – it was the joint Dragoons AFFC secret WarShip Yard under construction in the far reaches of the Outreach system, a sibling to the other pair being built at Novaya Zemlya in the FedSuns and Alarion in the LyrCom. WarShip construction – almost the ultimate in LosTech, was almost within their capabilities again.

“Alright, let’s get started,” Wolf said next. He didn’t ask about the absence of representation from Beta and Delta Brigades. One large screen in the room displayed a map of the FedCom, with icons for Beta and Delta Brigades prominently displayed, showing Delta on Arcturus, and Beta in transit between Robinson and Outreach.

“Old business?” Wolf asked next as one of his aides silently made notes on her tablet. Nowak looked both ways up and down the table, but nobody moved. After a moment, Wolf said, “Very well, new business.”

Now Nowak did glance at the thick file in front of him. The first three items were status updates of one sort or another.

Nowak eased back in his chair as the updates began. He knew most of this stuff already because of his day-to-day contact with most of the Dragoons’ senior officers. About the only new thing he heard was a proposal to test a new configuration for the Elemental Powered Armour that removed all weapons for a stripped-down medium-class laser.

Wolf allowed a bit of debate on the matter before closing the item with authorisation to do a feasibility study.

Yukinov and Chan jointly briefed future deployments for their brigades – Alpha was going to take part in a large-scale exercise against Capellan March Militia forces. They would simulate raids from the Capellan Confederation to test the ability of the reserve forces to hold the line in the absence front line units.

Gamma, with the Wolf Spiders attached, would be leaving for the Combat Training Center on Defiance, where they would simulate a Galaxy-sized invading force for the Second Davion Guards RCT, and then reconfigure along the lines of what they believed a ComStar Guards Division (actually closer in strength to a brigade) was like to play defenders against the Davion Heavy Guards.

As Chan stepped away from the podium and closed down the holotank, Wolf thanked him and then turned to Nowak.

“I believe the next item is yours, Director,” he said.

“Thank you, General,” Nowak did not stand. He just flipped open is folder to the tab placed by Sharma and got straight to the point.

“AFFC Naval Command wants you to return all Dragoons JumpShips to the troop transport role, effective immediately.” That last part wasn’t strictly true, but Nowak wanted to leave a little wiggle room to get concessions from Wolf.

“Why?” Wolf’s voice was level, even friendly. The looks on some of his officers’ faces was less so.

“Capacity. Project GUARDIAN is straining interstellar transport throughout the the whole FedCom and raising the prices that the shipping companies can charge.”

“I know,” grinned Colonel Blake – “Dragoons Interstellar Shipping” – he named the mercenaries’ transport company “is one of the companies your bosses are using to move GUARDIAN material around.”

“Quite,” Nowak smiled through the interruption, then pressed on. “NavCom feels that if you were to bring the ten JumpShips that DIS is using back into service as troop transports, you can be completely responsible for moving all Dragoons forces. They say that since your brigades cover so much space, they take up transport capacity out of all proportion to their numbers.”

Yukninov leaned forward in his seat.

“So you’re barring us from all AFFC transports?”

Always has to paint things in the worst possible light, grumped Nowak internally, but he recognised the role Yukinov was playing.
   “Of course not, Colonel. The Dragoons continue to have access to NavCom transportation when required by the situation. NavCom simply feels that the JumpShips being used by DIS would better serve the mission by returning to their former role.”
   “So how much is NavCom going to offer us in compensation?” asked Wolf.
   Interesting, thought Nowak. They expected the Dragoons to ask for money to offset the revenue they would lose from shutting down DIS, but Wolf named Naval Command, not the FedCom government as a whole, as the entity he expected to be compensated by, thus subtly hinting that the whole matter be dismissed as a bureaucratic kerfuffle if the notion was dropped.

Nowak had spent a good deal of his former intelligence career working against the Draconis Combine, and Wolf’s moves were eerily familiar to him.
   For someone who’s made an implacable enemy of the Combine, he sure isn’t adverse to using their negotiating style!
   Out loud, he said, “Compensation? Why? Those ships are merely seconded to DIS, liable for recall at any time.”

“There needs to be a good reason for the recall, Nowak,” put in Blake. “From a purely security point of view, suddenly pulling ten JumpShips from their supply runs is going to be very noticeable.”

“I’m sure we can get NavCom to agree to allowing them to finish currently contracted voyages,” Nowak deployed his card. There, I budged. Now do the same or I can get you for being unreasonable.

“I think that could be possible,” allowed Wolf after a moment’s pause, “as long as we are compensated for loss of revenue.” Without looking, Wolf held up his left hand and an aide placed a folded piece of paper in it. Wolf passed it to Nowak, who made no move to open it.

“That figure is based on estimated revenues for the 3042-43 fiscal year,” Wolf said by way of explanation.

Trying to make it an ongoing payment instead of a one-off, Nowak recognised. He tucked the paper, still unopened, into the folder.

“I cannot authorise any payment of this nature on my own.”
   “Of course.”
   “I’ll have NavCom look at it,” Nowak said, trying to draw a line under the matter.
   “I’d appreciate it if you did. We still have a long way to go bringing our forces up to the level they need to be at,” Wolf dropped in the reminder.

Nowak debated whether to try to burst the Dragoons’ bubble one more time, but decided against it and just nodded. This matter would not be settled today, and they still had more minefields to negotiate.

“Item five, Director,” Sharma whispered from behind Nowak.

“Item Five,” Wolf echoed, his voice suddenly turning more formal. “Major Emilia Tzu-West requests leave to challenge for command of Epsilon Brigade.”

Nowak saw Colonel Nichole stir in her seat at that, but she said nothing.

Wolf swept the room with his eyes.

“Let us hear from the challenger,” he said.

“Wait, General,” Nowak called out. All eyes turned to him.

“As Director of the LCG, I must register my disapproval of your sanctioning the continuation of Clan practices prejudicial to the chain of command,” he stated firmly.

“Noted,” Wolf replied, with a curt nod. “But this is considered an internal Dragoons matter.”

“One which may end up affecting the material and combat readiness of the Dragoons. On those grounds, I am asking you to disallow this challenge.”

In the silence that followed, Nowak surveyed the table. Most of the Dragoons were staring at him with deliberately blank faces, Chan’s infamous “stone face” standing out even here, but Jamison shook his head in disgust while Nichole’s face practically screamed “Stay off my side, you’re not helping”.

“These Trials and Challenges are what keep us as combat ready as we are, Director. I will allow Major Tzu-West to make her case, and if warranted, allow the challenge.”

“Then I must inform you, General Wolf, that I will be reporting your decision to higher authorities as soon as practicable,” Nowak responded formally.

“Seyla,” Wolf intoned, his officers nodding. General Wolf turned to one of his aides. “Admit Major Tzu-West.”

Once more, the doors opened, and in marched the major. Nowak noted that she’d remounted all her decorations on her dress uniform since they bumped into each other outside.

The short MechWarrior moved precisely to the podium at the foot of the table, ignored her superior, Colonel Nichole, faced General Wolf and saluted.

“General Wolf, Colonels, Major Emelia Tzu-West reporting as ordered,” she stated formally as Wolf stood to return her salute properly.

“Major Tzu-West,” he intoned, still standing, “you have made a request to challenge for command of Epsilon Brigade. State your case.”

It must have been intimidating to face such a collection of senior officers, but Tzu-West showed little sign of being intimidated. If anything, Nowak thought that anger was her primary emotion right now as she began to speak.

“Aye, sir! General, Colonels, I do not call to Challenge lightly, but the evidence is clear that Epsilon Brigade needs new leadership. Colonel Nichole had proven unable to adapt to the needs of the present!”

Beside the podium, Colonel Nichole openly scoffed while pointedly looking down the table at General Wolf instead of at Major Tzu-West.

“Her tactics on Caph during the Six Months War led to a strategic loss for us, and her refusal to deviate from them since has cost Epsilon Brigade victories in recent training rotations against other Dragoons units,” continued Tzu-West as Nichole openly rolled her eyes.

“Colonel Nichole’s persistence with failed methods has also caused Epsilon Brigade to be under-trained and underprepared in other, more viable tactics. The Colonel has refused to listen to the concerns of her senior officers –“

“Bullshit,” drawled Nichole from her seat.

“Colonel Nichole, you will have the chance to reply,” reminded General Wolf. “Carry on, Major.”

“Yes, sir! The Colonel has refused to listen to the concerns of her senior officers, who have consequently lost confidence in her ability to command. Therefore, I demand the right to challenge for leadership of Epsilon Brigade in order to restore that confidence, sir!”

Tzu-West stepped back from the podium.

“Colonel Nichole?” Wolf asked quietly.

Elizabeth Nichole stood and took the podium without looking at Major Tzu-West.

“General Wolf, fellow Colonels,” all but snarled. “This pup believes she is ready to be a Pack Leader. Let us test that. I do not want this challenge denied. I welcome it!”
   Nichole saluted, stepped back, and spun to face Major Tzu-West for the first time. “Your funeral, Tzu,” she stage-whispered, deliberately leaving off the Honorname suffix as a calculated insult that Tzu-West clearly understood.

Wolf nodded once. “Very well, the challenge is valid.”

Nowak silently recited a strong Polish oath that his grandfather had reserved for especially exasperating situations.

Colonel Chan stood. “General Wolf, since the issue at hand is the handling of Epsilon Brigade, I move that the Challenge take the form of a command exercise. Epsilon against my Gamma Brigade. We have not faced each other recently, so this will be fair. Both participants will lead Epsilon twice in simulated battle against Gamma Brigade – once each as attacker and defender. I ask Colonel Clavell to be Oathmaster and judge.”

There were nods of agreement around the table, except from Nowak.

“Seyla,” intoned Wolf formally.
   Nowak could tell his next report was going to be an extremely long one.

Kyryst

• Sergeant
« Reply #231 on: 21 August 2020, 19:29:59 »
Honestly, the mech swap, then finding out you only own a mech chassis, and probably being charged to strip it when you take it into retirement is a massive d*** move. These are usually family mechs that have been in families for generations and have huge emotional attachment. I would have thought arranging for those machines to be shipped home would have been much easier to accomplish, then taking those machines would be. Usually the reason a family is mechwarriors or nobility is because of the possession of a mech. And it is in living memory of most people to have tech-scarcity. The thought that the government is going to take your property and leave you with a useless pile of metal, is enough for those families to revolt.

Repeat that across the entire federated commonwealth, and you don’t need external enemies, when you have so many internal ones. It is a reaction that the legacy you are leaving your children is taken away, that is what doing such things is facing. I completely understand what you are doing, simplified supply lines, ease of maintenance, removal of tools of war from people that aren’t the government. Add to that the increased government oversight that is coached in oh so reasonable terms, and to the people on the ground it becomes a power grab.

It just seems like the degree of difficulty involved in what you are describing is substantially under described. I mean, making the FC stronger, whoo-hoo! But when it happens at people’s direct expense, they are much less sanguine about it.

Terrifically well written, and drawing attention and emotion into what was written about. I very much appreciate reading what you write.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #232 on: 21 August 2020, 21:59:47 »
Honestly, the mech swap, then finding out you only own a mech chassis, and probably being charged to strip it when you take it into retirement is a massive d*** move. These are usually family mechs that have been in families for generations and have huge emotional attachment. I would have thought arranging for those machines to be shipped home would have been much easier to accomplish, then taking those machines would be. Usually the reason a family is mechwarriors or nobility is because of the possession of a mech. And it is in living memory of most people to have tech-scarcity. The thought that the government is going to take your property and leave you with a useless pile of metal, is enough for those families to revolt.

*sigh* See, this is what happens when my update has gone through four drafts. I drop things by accident, and stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

Everything you're saying is a valid interpretation based on what actually got published - no question.

In-story, the way the process works is that the BattleMech owners exchange the family 'Mech for a factory-fresh model (where possible - some family owned 'mechs were captured from enemies). The weapons, engine and coolant systems are not included because when it comes time to roll out the "SLDF royal-level" upgrades, they don't want to waste time haggling over compensatory prices, or deal with maintenance quirks caused by the owners tinkering with their 'Mechs.

There was supposed to be a bit in there about how the AFFC would allow retiring MechWarriors to gain ownership of the 'Mech's last configuration when they muster out, so they're still in possession of a functional machine when they leave.

Terrifically well written, and drawing attention and emotion into what was written about. I very much appreciate reading what you write.

Thank you for coming along for the ride!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #233 on: 21 August 2020, 22:09:07 »
Was a good update  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #234 on: 22 August 2020, 09:26:53 »
Okay, I went back to the oral history update and dropped in a clear reference about MechWarriors with family-owned 'Mechs getting to keep all components on the 'Mech at the time they mustered out.

Kyryst

• Sergeant
« Reply #235 on: 22 August 2020, 10:24:14 »
Yeah. I can tell. This forum hates apostrophes and specialized letters when you edit. Thanks for clearing that up, though.

EDIT: Looks good.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 12:11:59 by Kyryst »

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #236 on: 22 August 2020, 12:02:59 »
Yeah. I can tell. This forum hates apostrophes and specialized letters when you edit. Thanks for clearing that up, though.

Shoot - didn't even notice what a mess that made when I went back in. Should all be fixed now - what a pain.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #237 on: 22 August 2020, 13:44:28 »
Nice.  Good replacement plan.  can't wait to see how the challenge goes.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #238 on: 23 August 2020, 08:02:04 »
Nice.  Good replacement plan.  can't wait to see how the challenge goes.

Yeah, the replacement plan was why this update took so long to come out. I've kind of painted myself into a corner by going slightly more realistic, and when I found out that officially the entire Fedcom only has 70-odd factories that build BT stuff, I had to rework everything - and in the end I used an unobtanium cheat with the PCMs to raise production rates to the point where they could turn out hundreds of 'Mechs, tanks, fighters, etc, while also building stockpiles of clan-grade components and weapons.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #239 on: 23 August 2020, 08:10:40 »
Am I getting this correctly... they´re replacing all old equipment with new equipment, all of which is basically Succession Wars era technology except for being sort of proto-Omni tech. And while increasing readiness rates and making repairs faster and easier, the point of the entire operation is to prepare the field for the switch to SL/3050 era tech, or even Clan tech, once they have enough of it - because now the process is as easy (or nearly so) as swapping pods on an Omni, so refitting a combat unit is a matter of hours, rather than weeks or months.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Register