Author Topic: Does it make you happy now? (another Ngoverse alternate because I can't sleep)  (Read 89582 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Would it kill you to write one of these that doesn't come with a prescription for antidepressants?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Nice to see a solid Victor and Nondi.

Ramming: naval technique created by the same dirtyfeet who thought the Charger was a valid design.  Chargeable under the military code under S36: Misuse of Government Property, S37: Destruction of Government Property, S48: Hazarding a Vessel, and S56: Attempted Suicide.  Admin note: cadets who attempt this maneuver during the Kobayashi Maru scenario will be transferred to the ground forces and assigned Chargers.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Nice admin note, there...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Post Hospital, CGNAS Spider Moon, August 15, 3056...

Nikki opened her eyes.  "Hey, Roomie." an older girl with stunning black hair leaned against the side-table of the hospital bed, "How're you feeling?"

"Who...are you?" Nicole asked wearily.

"Hi, I'm Liz, you're Nicole, we didn't get a last name and you don't have an identicard."

"Where..am I?"

"Welcome to the Kowloon System, You're at Coast Guard Naval Air Station Spider Moon, on Boojum's third satellite, and after almost a month riding a Bluerock and neuroin withdrawal, you probably feel like absolute shit-I know the feeling."  Elizabeth flicked her fingers in a flourish, producing a cheap aluminum coin.  "Ten years clean.  so help me out, Nicole-did they hook you on it before they put the collar on you, or after?"

"You're my counselor?" Nicole asked dumbly, trying to think through the thick cotton in her mind.

"Nope, I'm probably going to be your boss though...or I can put you in touch with your family, get you home to them, assuming the Pirates who had you doped out of your damned mind with an explosive collar on your neck weren't your relatives, anyway.  You've got a lot of choices now that you're dried out-but all of 'em hinge on you staying clean."

"I...it wasn't willing-the drugs.  They were using them to keep me from running or sabotage."

"You tried to run before?"

"Yeah..ow..."

"Well, then my surgeons didn't waste their time reconnecting your tendons."  Elizabeth told her.

"Wait..you're.." the memory was vague.  "You're her, the Duchess?"

"Well, you got the attention of a lot of people, Nicole.  The Marshall of the Armies was on the boat that intercepted that jumpship you were on.  how many of your marbles do you still have left?"

"it's kinda hard to think.."

"yeah, probably too early to pump you for intel.  I would like to know your name, at least, for the personnel people in the school district, or social services, or to check missing persons reports? aside from the traumas and abuse, you don't have a lot of signs of childhood neglect, so there are probably parents still freaking the hell out about-"

"My parents won't care." Nicole interrupted.

"ooh, sounds like a challenge there." Elizabeth noted, "Okay, give a name, somethign to put on your property tags, testing documents and paperwork."

"Testing documents?"

"Let me break it down for you, Nicole, you're fourteen or fifteen years old, which means you are a minor child, you're an unaccompanied minor who won't tell The Duchess of Kowloon who her parents are or where she's from.  I'm not going to make you a prisoner, but I can't toss you back out into the black to be scooped up by a group of scumbags again, so there are a small number of things that can happen from this room onward."  Liz stood up. "Tracking me so far beltawallah?"

"Yas baws." Nicole answered.

"Green.  Option One: we see if one of the Rockjack collectives will adopt a Metis-beltah who won't transmit her identicode.  Option Two, Foster with a family in the Well here, you might never get out to the black again, but you'll be well cared for-my people are awesome people, or option Three, which is five years school as a Ducal Ward, followed by ten in the Coast Guard assuming you can pass,with an extension at the end of that if you so choose, all three options come with an oath of citizenship.  if you want a different option, you'll tell me who your family is so we can send you home to them."

"Do I have to choose now?" Nicole asked.

"Yes." Elizabeth told her.

"Three."

"okay, I'll tell the Chief to get your aptitude exams ready and we'll slot you with Class One/Fifty-nine at Giap Island Residential Primary Academy...but I still want a last name to put on your paperwork."

"Minh." she said, "Like the Character from the Starforger novels."

"Loved those books, still love them, nice." Elizabeth told her, "I'll be watching you carefully on your career, don't make me regret it, Beltawallah."

"Aye Mum." Nicole replied.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Perfect interaction between Liz and Nikki!  :thumbsup:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"...so what's the REAL reason, Duchess?"  Alicia Li asked.

"She looks like Penny, I couldn't save Penny."  Elizabeth confessed, and swirled her drink-bulb.  "This kid looks like my friend from rehab, so I'm going to do her right.  It's raw sentiment and it's unseemly and unbecoming, but there it is.  any serious trouble finding the parents?"

"There's a metis belt family who has been spending god knows how many C-bills looking for their kid, including regular postings on Comstar's 'missing and lost' public file."  Admiral Li noted, "The kid's DNA matches your girl there, only he's a boy, a runaway, they did include a note that there may have been an unauthorized gender reassignment, so we've got images for both."

"Have you contacted the family yet?"  Liz asked.

"I was waiting on your decision, Duchess."

"contact them, apprise them of 'nikki' and her mental state, what happened to her, and that she's in long-term rehabilitation and treatment." Liz ordered, "Then we'll discuss negotiation about next steps-the impression I got is that there's heaps of trouble involved and the kid ran into the arms of pirates and slavers, is too ashamed to face her family yet. Let's build her up some before we make a bad situation worse...but let the family know their kid is alive. I know what it feels like when you don't know."

"If they're receptive?"

"Offer progress reports."  Liz told her.

"Aye mum."

"You know, I understand Dad better now, it would be so nice to take the title off and just soldier."

"You don't get that option." Li noted.

"No, ma'am, I do not."  she looked around the post canteen, "Gonna miss hanging out here, doing patrols..."

"Elizabeth the Industrialist and Elizabeth the Duchess are more valuable to the realm than another boat captain." Li told her.

"I know...still, I get my two weekends a month and two weeks a year!"

Li laughed, "We'll keep a slot for you ma'am."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Camp John, Kowloon, january 3057...

the wool and silk suit itched in the battering, brutal light of Kowloon's high summer, with both suns at nearest approach at the same time, in summertime, the temperatures in the central highlands were damned uncomfortable for the lightly clad summer uniforms of the AFFC approved planetary militia troops walking with her.

vaguely, she missed her old skinsuit uniform, and part of her was kicking the crap out of the rest of her for not wearing the thing under her clothes-but it didn't exactly work with civilian dresses or the image of a Duchess.

Most of the assembled formation were tanks and armored personnel vehicles.  Unlike the hodge-podge that had been the militia before she took over, these were all the same model and make, using a common source of spares and a common maintenance routine.  The initial tooling up cost had been staggering, and she had lawyers fighting the licensing battle with Defiance over how many royalties she was paying out for the privelege of using the Rommel/Patton running gear for a whole family of vehicles, ranging from combat bulldozers and CEV's to Infantry Fighting Vehicles and Self-propelled artillery.

all using the same engines, same suspension components, same tracks, even the same mounting points and grease zirks.

all to simplify supply and maintenance.  The big difference from the existing Defiance models, was where she put the upgrades-the tanks traded their standard autocannon, for LBX models, lost the flamer and gained a small pulse laser with a testing circuit developed by the Federated Suns-linking the SPL to the targeting systems for a goalkeeper AMS, with revised cooling runs, the pulse laser could still be fired manually, but it was mainly there to deal with anti-vehicle missiles.  The missile launchers were retained from the old model on the MBTs as a means to lay smoke to cover the somewhat lighter (and somewhat faster) Infantry Fighting vehicles, which made better raw use of the fusion engine's heat sinkage by replacing the autocannon entirely with a turret mounted, old model PPC-the type that while it lacked the range of Helm Tech ER models, also ran significantly cooler and thus, made for a decent direct-fire support weapon for deployed infantry.  Defiance had expressed some dismay at seeing the IFV, since they hadn't even considered such a move.  Her engineers had simply taken her directive.  The powerpack was moved to the front of the vehicle to allow a drop-door to be installed at the rear.  this one got the machine guns she didn't put on the tanks, because they would be useful for clearing a deployment circle.

The artillery platoons were based on the Rommel's armor and hull, but got Thumpers instead of an AC/20, and again, she cut other systems out, the AMS being installed on their ammunition support tracks. (One ammo Track per three guns, three guns per firing platoon, three platoons per battery.)

For spotting duty, Lockheed had given her a fairly sweet deal-the airmobile elements were built around the H-8, and included an infantry 'slick' version that replaced the LRM systems with a pair of B3M Medium lasers-not the extended models, but you don't NEED extended range for what those were going to be doing.

you need just enough fire to suppress a field bunker while the airborne jump troops drop on it.

Total cost minus tooling up and licenses was less than the annual maintenance budget, and she didn't have to send everyone to Coventry for two to four years to learn how to repair everything.  They only needed to know how to repair their things, something that was easily enabled with company reps and hefty cash transfers to get Camp John established.

and legal arguments still ongoing because Defiance tried to add new costs.

but that was for the lawyers.

"Looks pretty good, Evvie." she said, reaching the end of the motor pool.  "What about the 'mechs?"

"Less good, your grace." Evelynn Mosovich looked like...well, like someone who didn't really know what they were doing used a myomer implant device and medical prosthetics to rebuild a human face...badly.  Which is true.

"Lay it out for me, sister in law." Liz said, referring to her Militia Commander's relationship and almost-marriage to Patrick Ngo, who would have been Duke of Kowloon if the Wolves had waited a week before attacking Tamar.

"There's nothing wrong with the equipment.  I still don't know how you managed to get permission to use the Blackhawk-KU as the template."

"I spent lots of money, Evvie." Liz said.

"but...we're going to have to partner with a real academy to train operators." Mosovich stated.

"Knew that was coming." Liz said, "And the light models?"

"same thing.  I can certify maybe a mixed company between all three models you selected for standardization, but that's it."

"Well, it's something to work on then." Liz said, "We need a training establishment here on Kowloon, for 'mechwarriors, or nobody's going to take us seriously.  I'm afraid to ask...the powersuits?"

"After some initial problems that the Gray Death Tech Rep solved? that programme is working pretty well."

"I will consider that to be money well spent then. Carlysle's people are...behaving?" Liz asked.

"Their reps and trainers, sure.  Nothing like the bad reputation their Mercs have."

"Good. something is going right then." Liz said, "GDT's negotiators are fekking brutal in the boardroom, I think Kelli was walking funny for a week after we made that deal."

Evelynn laughed, a raspy, grinding sound.

"can I tell His Majesty we've got a regiment of some kind yet?" Liz asked more seriously.

"I think so, just...it's going to be either 'mech light, or you're going to have to find mercs that aren't incompetent or already under contract elsewhere."

"We'll go 'mech light." Liz said, "For now."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Only disappointed you went with the 65 ton chassis instead of the 45...  ^-^

idea weenie

• Major
A Mech light unit is less likely to be grabbed for off-world activities.  Especially after Liz lists the transportation and supply requirements needed for all the infantry and vehicles.

Best is if she can list the Mech units as 'Home Guard' for the moment, and make it look like anyone trying to take her Mech units is taking away her personal troops.  How many other nobles would want that precedent to be established?

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain

I don't know, there was some mention of a lighter but faster IFV.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The Goblin is my favorite chassis, even at 4/6... A fusion engine would make it perfect.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...

That also makes it less likely to have their forces pulled away all the time, I suspect.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Good point!  Though Liz will regret it when she's the one that needs to move that force...

jonen c

• Sergeant
Especially after Liz lists the transportation and supply requirements needed for all the infantry and vehicles.

Risk with that is you may rum into an ambitious fool trying to do a George Marshall withoit knowing what they're doing.

"Surely you don't need all those extra bodies, cut the tail."

"And who really needs twelve hundred landmines per company?"

"They can trust transport command to bring them ammunition, they don't need reload vehicles."

"Special demolition charges? What's so special about them they need dedicated operators. Hand them to the combat engineers."

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
Are those 'Special Demolition Charges' the kind that are considered warcrimes if used in a populated area by chance?

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
Are those 'Special Demolition Charges' the kind that are considered warcrimes if used in a populated area by chance?

I was thinking the same thing "Do they come plastered with trefoils?"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Ia Drang City, Ia Drang Plateau...

The City of Ia Drang is built into a canyon, and dates to the first war with the Rim Worlds Republic-the one Kowloon lost, the Rim Worlds conquest in the late 26th century wasn't clean or neat, and what had begun as an effort to avoid aerial bombardments had turned into a city, one that built out from cliff-house style settlements into a layered structure similar in some ways to an arcology, and in other ways...

Ia Drang is a strange damned place, the wheat fields of the Plateau reach right to the edge of the city, and the city itself forms a sort of rude culvert for the Ia Drang river. 

Elizabeth stood on the famous 'webwalk', overlooking the massive waterfall, plunging nearly two thousand meters into the Little Yangtze.

Every world man has settled has its wonders, some impressive, some less so.  The underground city here, was an architectural and engineering feat, the engineering keeping the layers from collapsing in on themselves even moreso.

she sipped her coffee and watched the weather as she waited for the man she was meeting.

"Duchess?"

She turned.  "Mister Hui, thank you for finding time to meet with me." she greeted the city's engineer warmly.

"I trust you're enjoying your visit." he said, joining her at the railing.

"When I was little..." She said, "Grandfather brought us here, Dad was...god, somewhere doing the LCAF's business, but my Grandfather wanted to impress on us, me, Henry, and Pat, our heritage."  she smiled faintly.  "I was seven.  I think I was the only one of us who was actually amazed at what you and your predecessors had achieved here."

"I wrote to you about our budget problems." he said.

"You did." she laid a hand on the railing.  "I wanted to see it again, your city, mister Hui...what happened?"

"how did we come up short?" he asked.

"Yeah.  For three hundred years, even under planetary mismanagement by imposed governors and incompetents from home, Ia Drang has managed to pay its own bills.  what changed?"

"I'd lie and say it's increased materials costs...or I can lie to you and blame the Social Democrats that the people have been electing...or I can blame an economy that is the best we've had in a generation and pretend it's that." he shook his head, "The fact is, the productive people are leaving, and we're stuck with a lot of old infrastructure that is being weakened by erosion and age, Duchess."

"are the two problems related, in your view?"

He harrumphed.  "That would be political." he said.

"I am the Duchess, you're asking for public money, I should hope the question would be political." she told him, "Speak your mind."

"The mayor's office." he said, "They mean well, Duchess, but we're falling short on maintenance of infrastructure and services because there is only so much money taken in, and he's directed so much to his social reforms."

"Reforms that seem very well meaning." she prompted, "who doesn't want to care for the poor?"

"We only have so much, and people will always resent taxes.  three local tax increases in the last two years, I'm seeing whole sections of the commercial district moving to the surface, or completely out of our jurisdiction.  the Mayor's new environmental initiatives haven't helped either, the price of power, clean water, and other utilities are going up while there's only so much quality I can deliver with a dwindling piece of the funding pie."

"Hm." she frowned.  "I will offer you a short-term grant." she said, "Enough to cover your department's projected overruns for this year, but I want something for it."

"Name it!"

"Talk to the unions and the small businesses, if Mayor Jeong is still in office after the next election, the money tap is turned off." she told him, "The problem is bad management, and the Mayors are elected, if the people vote in bad management, and keep them there, then the outcome is theirs alone.  Maybe the City Engineer should run for elected office?"

He looked at his shoes.

she reached out, and lifted his chin to level his eyes to hers.  "I'm offering a reprieve, but i can't prevent a disaster if people insist on driving into it, and while I may be the Duchess that does not mean dictator.  You have until the next election."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Ouch... that was one hell of a "grow a spine" speech...  :o

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Elizabeth House, Marjorie Hills neighbourhood outside Nha Tranh, Kowloon...November 3057

The house was, to all appearances, a two story split-level suitable for a working-class neighborhood on most mid-tier Lyran worlds,  This, is a fiction carefully orchestrated that should have fooled nobody.  Most Nobles have an apartment on Tharkad for business there, and an estate, and most Noble Estates are little more than extensively fortified bunker complexes built around an administrative center, and for the most part, these palace complexes are as opulent on the inside, as they are a mix of opulence and prison architecture on the outside.

The Old Ducal Residence in Nha Tranh is that kind of fortress, only that complex has been turned over to house one of Elizabeth's pet projects-a university dedicated to teaching and research.

The 'Ducal Palace' on Kowloon, is the Marjorie Hills neighbourhood, a fifteen kilometer wide, ten kilometer deep webwork of two-lane streets and cul de sacs, dotted with average looking homes occupied by what amounts to Her Grace's personal staff and their families.

in short, a suburban neighbourhood, complete with public parks, convenience stores, food venders, and a mini-mall where you can buy either fuel for your ICE powered or Fuel Cell automobile, or charges for your electric.  There are no guard towers, there are not patrolling soldiers with assault rifles and riot armor...there ARE security officers, and a police precinct just off the property, but there isn't even a fortified wall.

but Marjorie Hills is absolutely a ducal palace.  under the average seeming streets, are reinforced bunker-shells, tunnels stocked with emergency provisions, thousands of kilometers of fiber optic and high temperature superconducting cable, a power-plant, a backup power plant, and in the greenswards and roundabouts, hidden, defensive turrets.

The storm drains double as fighting positions, the buildings on every street may look like stick-built homes, but the 'sticks' are endosteel, the cladding covers reinforced ferrocrete and starslab armor, the buildings themselves easily meet AFFC bunker specifications, many with accesses into the subterranean networks underlying the 'housing development'.

In the event of an attack, there are routes for civilians to flee, and soldiers to reinforce.

there are even a couple of schools.

what there really isn't, is the kind of palace provisions that are so comforting to visiting nobles-the nearest fortification with battlemech bays is in the City proper, the old Militia barracks just outside the University.

needless to say, while it is a certainty that one means to limit a planetary ruler, is with royal visitors, nobody really wants to have a sleepover at Elizabeth House.  for one thing, the whole house is about the size of a junior noble's personal apartments, and there simply isn't room for a high ranking noble's entourage.  For that, visitors can use the hotels in the capital and pay the fees.

Nonetheless, Elizabeth House is every inch the same sort of nerve center that one can expect a planetary ruler to maintain-just in a very pedestrian, ordinary looking and low-key style.

in particular, Today, Elizabeth Ngo is sitting in her living room, wearing a sweatshirt and bicycle pants, on her couch, looking at her entertainment center...which happens to be connected to the Comstar station on planet with a 'red line' connection, the only calls on that red line, come from Tharkad.

this is an expensive service, but it isn't like she can't afford it in exchange for the luxury of not having to drive the forty five minutes to the Comstar compound to recieve the Archon Prince's messages.

"Victor, it's friday night." Elizabeth said, "what does my Liege require of me?"

Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, Archon Prince of the Federated Commonwealth, claimant to the First Lord of the Star League and Sovereign ruler whose word can strip Liz of her titles in under a minute, frowned.

"Liz, are you wearing a sweatshirt?"

"It's comfy." she answered.  "You don't call unless the Realm needs somethign, I thing we even put that in the contract."

"Jumpships, Liz.  Transport ships, also I need that regiment you've formed, it's important." he told her.

She groaned, "When?"

"Yesterday would be nice, but I can wait a few weeks for the regiment, no more than a year or two for the transports." He said.

she reached into an end-table, and pulled out a notebook with a pencil.  "How many jumpships, how many dropships?" she asked, "Give me the high end of necessity because I know you're going to call Lockheed and Ioto."

"a lot, a couple dozen at least?" he asked.

"Rough...maybe doable, how many collars?"

"you didn't even blink."

"We've been building additional slips, and the Lerner-Nghien collective found another Germanium rock.  how many collars per ship, what am I moving?"

"Five or six full Regimental Combat Teams, possibly more.  Can you manage that?"

"We'll find out, you need them in twelve months? do you have crews or navigators, commanders..?"

"The number is 'yes', Liz."

"oooh boy.  You won't be getting the bulk discount." she said crossly, "I'll need some of it up-front to pay overtime on the yards, and on the construction of additional slips, but the bottleneck is going to be crewing, unless you want to uncork some of that good DMI money and help me expand the Boojum 3 training facilities."

this time, he didn't blink, "Done."

"and I'll need my recruiters to have access to every slicer and ship-jacker currently held in the Federated Commonwealth's judicial system." she stated.

"For what?"

She smiled, "Work release, also anyone bounced from a regular academy for reasons other than competence in a related field...and anyone you can find who's lost a ship due to poor fiscal management or unpaid debts, there should be a category in both Commonwealth and Federated Suns tax offices-you want ships and crew, well...those don't just fall out of anyone's ass, sir."

« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 08:10:17 by Cannonshop »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I've lost track of time... stamp please?  ???

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
Hoo Boi,

she's seriously doing next to everything that Sharon did in her timeline at that time and Victor is being smart about it! Looking forwards to the next steps, especially when the Clans come on about to have a look-see what happens at Kowloon. :D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Overview, 3058, coventry...

Without the Federated Commonwealth split, things might have worked out very differently at Coventry, except...

1.  First Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, first of his name, did something smart. He, rather than spies, revealed the Joshua Marik scam to the public, and by public, I mean he revealed it to everyone at once, along with a full apology, and offers of Reparations.

For once, he managed to get his sincerity across to the public in the Free Worlds League, and the second, He offered Thomas Marik certain worlds as collateral on his promises of reparations.  This happened because certain people weren't available to influence things, such as Katherine, who died in her attempt to assassinate Melissa...because someone got to the assassin with more money first.

Point being, House Davion ate crow publicly, and some of Elizabeth Ngo's Germanium went to the Free Worlds League instead of into jump cores.

2. Thus, with Wergeld paid and a profuse, sincere public apology and minor national shaming, Victor solidified a reputation as an 'honest dealer' in contrast with his father, and prevented a destructive conflict and breaking of the Federated Commonwealth Alliance, though he did incur some domestic opposition from the Federated Suns half of the Joint House, this was overcome by his gaining an appearance of seizing and securing the moral high-ground on the international stage as well as moralist elements within the Federated Suns itself-which made the subsequent attempted coup much easier to put down.

HOWEVER, the need to PUT that domestic coup attempt down, did draw units from the Lyran theater back into the Federated Suns, resulting in a weakened corridor.

At the same time, Clan Jade Falcon killed Ulric Kerensky and the wolves broke up the band, with the Wardens fleeing to Arc Royal and seeking asylum with the Kells.  In this timeline, Elizabeth's speech in front of the Estates General...well...you can see it for yourself!

Estates General, February, 3058...

Duchess Elizabeth Anne Ngo was still a little bit unstable on her feet after the rushed flight to Tharkad, a flight made by switching between jump vessels carrying her firm's goods from Kowloon to the industrial centers of the Commonwealth in much the same way as a command circuit, only using a dinky little shuttlecraft instead of an opulently appointed dropship.

She barely had time to shower and change into civilian clothing, before being driven to the Triad.

"Morgan Kell is a national hero, and a national treasure." she announced, "My brother was named for his brother, by my father, who admired the Kells immensely.  Pat, of course, died on Tamar, killed by Clan Wolf."  she held down the nausea and vertigo and hid it from the crowd of lawmakers, fellow nobles, and the Archon Prince.

"Morgan Kell is a hero.  His son, Phelan, switched sides and joined the Clanners, not due to coercion, not due to threats or blackmail, he wears no explosive collar, he joined them willingly and of his own volition.  He is, by definition, a traitor to the Realm forced to return home when his new allegiance proved less powerful and attractive than he previously believed...and he brought many survivors with him.  Thanks in part to the work of Anastasius Focht and the ComGuard, and in part thanks to his own written statement, we know who the Clans are.  They are the descendents of the Deserters, Traitors, and Turncoats who abandoned the Star League to three hundred years of civil war."

she laid her hands on the podium, "My people, we have our own memory of that dark time.  of promises made by the SLDF-that-was, Promises broken by Kerensky and his conspirators-their people abandoned us all, they stole property that was not theirs, they took people that were not theirs to take, they stripped the last vestige of order and authority, and they betrayed us all..."

she took a deep breath, "And now, nearly three centuries after the SLDF abandoned their duty, nation, and those that looked to them for protection, they have returned, not humbled or contrite, but as conquerors and bandits and slavers."

her eyes glittered under the lighting, "Because that is the root of the Clans-they are a society made of the worst excesses of Amaris, cloaked in the clothing of the Star League.  No civilian is free in their system, all are chattel property owned by the Clan.  Their whole system invalidates concepts of loyalty, free will, the very idea of Liberty is anathema to them...and this body must decide if we will willingly let the degraded, depraved, disloyal element return because they come with the son of a legend at their head, as their spokesman, their propagandist."

her voice dropped low, barely audible through the pickups.  "My people, sacrificed three million of our best and brightest to help Aleksandr Kerensky restore rule of law to the Star League and depose the illegal and inhuman, abusive regime of the Amaris dynasty.  Three million Kowloonese lost in the march from Eagle's Nest, to Apollo, to Elbar, to Earth.  The promises made were not upheld...can the descendents be trusted is the question you should all ask, will they be better than their forebears? Is their word good?  can we, should we forgive them?"

she opened a one-handed knife, "What are the Clans?  what have we seen them do?  Turtle Bay?" she drew her knife across her palm, blood welling, "Tamar?" she drew it again, the other way, making an 'x' of blood.  "Sudeten, others? Rasalhague, a Lyran Ally, lies mostly at their feet, a third of the realm is under their boot, they did not come to honor the promises their ancestors breached, they came as conquerors to enslave us all."

she held out her hand, "I have blood on my hands, see it? I have shed the blood of traitors, a man I personally felt almost a familial love for, and I did so because it was my duty.  Do the Clans even comprehend duty?  The books of their founder do not suggest this, the character of their actions denies it.  but we must not bind them to the sins of their ancestors as they bind others to the sins of those same ancestors.  We are Lyrans, we do not practice Blood Libel or Genocide as Clan Wolf and their compatriots did, to their own kind early in their history. we are better than they are, better human beings. so do we give them forgiveness and asylum, or do we send them back to the cold?"

she folded the knife with a flick, and pocketed it.  "This is the question not of their nature and character, but of our own.  As Lyrans, as people, as human beings." she sighed, "Kowloon votes 'aye', we must, if we are to be better than a bunch of jumped up, genemodded pirates, we must uphold our own morality, beliefs, and ideals, especially in the face of an enemy.  I thank you all for your time."

her bloody handprint reflected on the lights, and on the cameras in stark relief.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
Wow that is a nice overview of the time line.  I especially like the change in the speach that Liz gives.  I wonder if that was shown in other realms too?   I wonder what kind of conversation will she have with the Archon-Prince?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wow that is a nice overview of the time line.  I especially like the change in the speach that Liz gives.  I wonder if that was shown in other realms too?   I wonder what kind of conversation will she have with the Archon-Prince?

we know at least TWO realms (one joint realm) where it was shown.  Presumably, either the full text or at least an edited version is likely to be shown in the other realms.

The change in her speech is, in my mind, somewhat reasonable-she's older, for one thing, less bound by her furies and her passions, with a broader view, but she's still Elizabeth.

which means she's naturally drawn to creating controversies.  Most of her speech is an indictment of the Clans and their proud history, but at the end of it, she says 'yes we should take them in-because we are better people than they are.'

she ends with a damnation in faint praise.

I'm curious what YOU readers think the reaction to her speech will be in the FWL, CapCon, Magistracy, Concordat, Combine, and remains of Rasalhague-because I bet there's going to be some swirling controversies.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
Another issue that I got from her speech was that the "Clans" were not welcome, but the "Free Individuals" who have rejected the Clan ways are welcome.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I think the FWL will back that play.  I'm not sure the Capellans, Taurians or Canopians will care one way or the other.  The FRR... I don't think they're ready to forgive yet.  I have no idea about the Combine.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Victor's office, adjacent to the throneroom, half an hour later...

"Jesus, Elizabeth, I asked you to endorse it." Victor groused.

"I did." she replied, her right hand wrapped in a simple bandage, the stitches applied by Corpsman Liu still stinging from astringents, "Morgan's amnesty measure passed, when it wasn't going to."

he stared at her, open mouthed, for a moment, "Wasn't going to?"

"Your apology to the Mariks, placing Lyran worlds in the Bolan thumb as collateral, pulling troops out of the Commonwealth front to deal with Federated Suns domestic politics, Victor, he and you were going to lose that vote.  I talked to some of my corporate espionage people, we wouldn't be able to swing it with bribes, I needed to shame them."

"I hate politics." he said.

"So do I, but I'll use any tool to win." she said, "by your command.  I personally would have voted with the majority if you hadn't asked me to step up."

"you what?"

"I would have voted to see Phelan Kell shot as the traitor he is, and his compatriots interned as enemy combatants for the duration." Liz enunciated, "BUT, you asked me to endorse it, as my Liege Lord, given the mission, I did what was necessary to win the objective." Her eyes glittered, "You have no idea how much those words tasted like shit to me, and nobody outside this room will ever know, except the Rabid Fox team keeping an eye on your security, your highness.  My word is good."

"I'll need you at the reception tonight." Victor told her.

"I will attend." Elizabeth stated, "Be in mind, Milord, I will need to depart shortly after-I have a scheduled duty week with First Squadron, and while the trip here was certainly...challenging, It's the only vacation I really get from being the Duchess, and the only time off I get from being the Industrialist...and now, you owe me that time off."

Victor sighed, "What's on your docket this time?"

"Coordinated strike on Hopper Morrison." she said, "we found his bolt-holes, we're going to level them, it's good practice for the resumption of the war against the ever ****** Clans, and I get to see if our new Marine units are up to snuff before forwarding them to the Navy."

"You're talking about waging war as if it's a vacation, Liz, that's dangerous." Victor said.

"I am what I am, and I have the time I have, Highness.  killing Slavers is never a waste of time, and is always a good use of it...and it's not war, sir.  It's pest control.  on a related note, I've authorized my Coast Guard to begin a 'soft campaign' to reduce the influence of Pirates and Bandits in the region."

"Soft campaign?"

"It's expensive, but economically, it rings as sound.  We're going to institute a series of safety inspections and refits for unaffiliated haulers and independents, along with pushing into the financial end with insurance guarantees-that reduces the number of ships desperate enough to take a pirate's coin, and increases the available lift in the region to reduce export and import pricing, feeding an increase in wealth-generating commerce."

"Do you think it will work?" he asked.

"The pilot program seemed to, it makes sense in other ways-building trust in the central government as well as making it harder for the hardcore criminal elements to operate unseen.  If it does work, I'll have a proposal for your review-you can take credit for it, which will help cement your new image as an ethical ruler who cares about his people."

"I do care." he said.

"I know, if you didn't, I wouldn't be loyal." Elizabeth told him, "We just have to show everyone else...and it will make it easier for you to diplomat your way into the Star League Throne."

"There isn't one." he insisted.

"Yet." she said, "Kerensky's reputation is a lie built on false hopes and propaganda, your legend will be built on facts and actions."

"and your endgame?"

she shrugged, "Victory over the Clans before I die? hope for my people, prosperity? pick any of them, but I think I can sum it up as 'an end to the damned dark ages' and a renaissance in human culture, a new age of enlightenment, and an end to the endless, petty, brutal wars.  I might not live to see it, but I can damned sure do what I can to make sure someone else lives to see it...oh, and the University of Nha Tranh is now open and accepting students.  thank you for your support, Your Highness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Victor is going to have to be very careful about what he says to avoid a "who will bring me the head of this troublesome priest" scenario...

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
Nice to see a solid Victor and Nondi.

Ramming: naval technique created by the same dirtyfeet who thought the Charger was a valid design.  Chargeable under the military code under S36: Misuse of Government Property, S37: Destruction of Government Property, S48: Hazarding a Vessel, and S56: Attempted Suicide.  Admin note: cadets who attempt this maneuver during the Kobayashi Maru scenario will be transferred to the ground forces and assigned Chargers.

I hope you mean the 3025 Charger with 5 small lasers and not the 3050 version!

And I support Elisabeths wish for peace and an end to war.
Basically, what did those raids, counterraids, counter-counter raids ad infinitum even achieve - except dragging the people even more down back to the stone age?

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
I'm curious what YOU readers think the reaction to her speech will be in the FWL, CapCon, Magistracy, Concordat, Combine, and remains of Rasalhague-because I bet there's going to be some swirling controversies.

I think it will play very well in the Combine.  Something Samurai like about her making clear how much she detests them, but she will still support the motion and Victor because of her duty.  And only because of her duty.

And I'm guessing part of Victor's apology for the Joshua doppleganger was throwing Dad under the bus somewhat?

Register