Author Topic: out of story(Stories?) thread: Questions for the Audience (Ngoverse)  (Read 1402 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Today's question is this:

What makes an Elizabeth Ngo to you?  what are her 'definitely Liz' traits as a character.  The things she does or is, that make you guys keep coming back?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Moglwi

• Recruit
Her Intelligence and ruthless devotion to Kowloon &her own obsolescence's

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Speaking for myself, probably the fact that she's just about the only person in the setting who wants to actually fix things, by as straight a line as possible, regardless of who or what stands in her way.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
"If you can't see reason, or give me a well-reasoned argument showing why I'm wrong, I will destroy you as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible so that I can go home and get on with building a better world for my people."

She's intelligent, driven to the point of obsession, and because she knows she is facing a horrible death at an early age, has no patience for people who just blindly accept the status quo when you don't have to think very hard to see that things could be better.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2020, 11:01:27 by Euphonium »
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Her loyalty to her realm and, most of all, her own people. It's the most common trait that Liz has in all of the version of her.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
She follows the old Guide's Duties:
Loyalty to Family, World, Nation and the Spirite of the Star League.

Truth and Equality to One and All.

"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

smcwatt

• Sergeant
She's broken. Especially in your earlier stories, Elizabeth was put through soul crushing ordeals, and while she survives the encounters, a little piece of her is crushed each time, until the inevitable sudden end. In fact, almost every Ngo woman is put through apocalyptic scales of personal tragedy. And not that "if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger" crap.

SMc.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
I think it is the refinement of the character over the past twenty? years.

At first she was on par with the Black Thorns, completely OP with vaguely defined traits.

Then you shaved it back, and found a niche for her and Knowloon that was way more refined and realistic to the FASA Fiziks and Economikz and far less universe breaking.

So each version of the character is less pixelated.

But the beats of the arcs are familiar enough so that even the wild changes that you introduce are still predictable in their own way.

Also there is a point where you write yourself into a corner.

And then the point where each thread ends.

And in some cases there is a big gap, and in others there is an antimatter explosion.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
Liz Ngo seems to me to be a MENSA level intelligent person suddenly realizing in her childhood how broken the current state of affairs in the Inner Sphere is at around 3030-40-ish and does her level best to try to fix those issues, while absolutely not caring who or what she might offend / piss off doing so due to her terminal health issues. (Choimanns)

This also applies to her fanatical loyality to those near to her, Kowloon and the Lyran Commonwealth (half of the FedCom).

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Things I really don't have the balls to try to write in the Ngoverse...

Henry Ngo.  the middle child, Elizabeth's only living sibling, adopted by Jade Falcons at Blackjack.

I don't really have the balls to write his story correctly, though he's had speaking roles in several versions of the setting, and even a couple of point-of-view scenes.

There are things I know about him:

1. He saw Clanner medical tech and immediately thought of his sister.  This motivated him to cooperate after putting up probably the harshest resistance of any of the Blackjack Cadets-to the point that his bondholder considered letting him bondsref.

2. Henry violates the convention that Kowloonese make terrible 'mech pilots.  Kid is good, talented, and focused.  His machines of preference are in the light to medium range and his nature makes him a great fit for Sweep or Striker units.  IOW fast-moving, jumpy designs, not just in the hand-eye sense, but in the larger sense of being able to envision and imagine what his sensors are showing him in a way that makes him extremely dangerous as an opponent, or extremely good to have on your side.

3.He fought the Wolves during the Great Refusal, and distinguished himself there, but was not brought to Coventry during Marthe's little exercise.  in most continuities, he also fought the Steel Vipers during their little eviction, and did remarkably well there.

espl. for a Freebirth.

4. In most continuities, Henry is an ideological convert, but not an idiot convert.  he absolutely sees the Clans as a viable solution to the problems of the Inner Sphere, and is probably a harder-core crusader than most Trueborn Crusaders.  His difference is motive; The old order in the Inner Sphere has been three hundred years of omnicidal hell interspersed with 'peace' that didn't last.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
Liz
I love her but you know that I'm also a sucker for your whole Kowloon setup.  The idea of a Battletech force that makes sense for supply clerks.

Her devotion to Family, Kowloon, the Lyran State.
Her hate for the fraud and waste that exist over and above "allowable", that is pulling down everything..
Her willingness to do what has to be done, even by her own hand.  (show her pulling the trigger on the Regent) Instead passing off the dirty work to others.
When you sitdown with her, or honestly any of the Ngo women that we have seen, you are sitting down to play a game of chess.  That nice, she sitting down and pulls out the set of Space Shogi and says it your move....

Henry, I will be honest Cannonshop, I would love to know more about  him.   
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

nocarename

• Corporal
The follow through on information.

If you hit Liz with new facts they haven't considered she will take a deep breath and rewrite her view of the universe.
Now Liz also (so far as I can tell) hates doing that and so strives to know everything that matters about everyone and everything, but if you can manage it she'll change her tune.

Also, she'll take the facts she knows to the ends of space and doesn't really understand someone who lets their facts stop at awkward human things like borders. (Recognize 'em, sure, but understand is a different ball of wax.)

Register