Author Topic: Bringing Battletech to a local game store  (Read 5240 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: Bringing Battletech to a local game store
« Reply #30 on: 08 January 2019, 13:23:15 »
One other stray thought:

When selecting Mechs to use, for a grinder or whatever other format, you may want to err on the side of Mechs that are available in current(ish) products in the store and easier to understand on the board, than on the side of perfect mathematical fairness.

Easier to understand: The OP listed some good, basic lights, and that should be carried through as you go up in weight. Everyone here is an experienced player, but even some 3050 Clan tech can be a bit overwhelming for a brand-new player, let alone 3060+ or Dark Age tech. I've played in a few grinders which used exotic stuff like light and medium Celestials or other advanced designs as the very first Mechs a person may ever touch.

"Uh, those rules aren't that much more complicated, buddy..." Yes, yes, you're very smart, Hypothetical Person. But asking a brand-new player to remember/understand the rules for, say, a Supercharger at the same time they're learning how to turn hexsides just creates an additional barrier to entry. Plus, those sorts of additional steps may confuse them as to what the "core" game experience is, and what the extra rules are due to special equipment. "So, any time I move any Mech, I have to roll 2D6 and it blows up on a 2?"

Don't build a wall off the bat, just layer things on as you go. Repetition is more important than completeness.

Available in Current(ish) Products: I realize this is a supply-side problem, and a known problem. But when I run intro games, I try to stick to only the mins in the current intro box--and only those minis, not the limited edition, con-exclusive jumping variant or whatever.

That only allows for a universe of nine Mechs in the new boxes, I know. You could expand slightly with some of the still-available Lance Packs, or the Iron Wind Metals Mech Packs (https://tinyurl.com/BTmechpacks). The idea is to not get a new player hooked with anything they can't turn around and buy as easily as possible, and to drive them toward buying minis that they'll be able to field often. It's a good feeling if, by their third or fourth game, they can say, "Hey, that's a Shadow Hawk, I know what that does!" or "Oh, a Wolverine? I do have have one of those in my box, great!"

I agree with the info dump problem and that's why I'm limiting it to intro tech for the first few weeks. Minis... I don't own any, and the store's distributor doesn't have any Battletech material :-(
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 08 January 2019, 13:38:30 »
So how are you representing the mechs?

I ask b/c there were some really good card board stand ups released around . . . GenCon?  Hm, reminds me I still need to go print some off.

I am sure a Agent can discuss the grinder list with you, all of those mechs are picked at the levels for a reason.  While yes the tech, skills and size goes up as you progress you still do have a few outliers- I want to say I drew a mostly Intro tech design assault on the 3rd Tier one time while most folks got advanced tech meds or solid heavies.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #32 on: 08 January 2019, 14:42:38 »
Not in alpha strike

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #33 on: 08 January 2019, 14:44:01 »
Available in Current(ish) Products: I realize this is a supply-side problem, and a known problem. But when I run intro games, I try to stick to only the mins in the current intro box--and only those minis, not the limited edition, con-exclusive jumping variant or whatever.
Good point, but you may want to take into consideration about the players and their interests: when I play with anime club, I make heavy use of unseen 'Mechs because of their anime background. That is, with record sheets with pictures of relevant 'Mech made & printed with HeavyMetal Pro, and box set minis (Vindicator mini for PXH record sheet). Either that, or MegaMek on Win8 tablet.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 08 January 2019, 14:56:27 »
That's something I've been wondering about with the mechs in the beginner box.

Griffin is a good mech. It's also not the easiest mech to use, and the thought of people's first game being a Griffin hunt does not fill me with confidence in them playing again.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #35 on: 08 January 2019, 15:24:49 »
Which is why mixing 2/3s and 3/4s is a better way for new folks than getting regular 4/5s-  You are hitting more often and less likely to randomly fall over.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #36 on: 08 January 2019, 15:46:04 »
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #37 on: 08 January 2019, 16:01:54 »
Because I didn't read the last page and should have been quoting this:

"Suck and die!  ;D

Shadow Hawks are fine medium mechs in AS for their cost. +2 TMM, generally will be hitting for 2 damage, and 10 structure + internals. Solid mech. :)

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 08 January 2019, 16:11:17 »
Which is why mixing 2/3s and 3/4s is a better way for new folks than getting regular 4/5s-  You are hitting more often and less likely to randomly fall over.
Randomly falling over is the best part though!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 09 January 2019, 12:02:36 »
So how are you representing the mechs?

I ask b/c there were some really good card board stand ups released around . . . GenCon?  Hm, reminds me I still need to go print some off.

I am sure a Agent can discuss the grinder list with you, all of those mechs are picked at the levels for a reason.  While yes the tech, skills and size goes up as you progress you still do have a few outliers- I want to say I drew a mostly Intro tech design assault on the 3rd Tier one time while most folks got advanced tech meds or solid heavies.
Cardboard standups. Or I've been known to print a sheet full of megamek icons, draw hexes around each, glue the entire thing to a sheet of corrugated card board and cut them out.

Are there any agents on this thread?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 09 January 2019, 12:09:15 »
Minnow, RoundTop and NeonKnight have all responded to discuss your plans and offer suggestions.
Colt Ward

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2019, 12:16:04 »
Yep, anyone with this under the name:

Is a Demo Agent
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #42 on: 09 January 2019, 12:46:51 »
Because I didn't read the last page and should have been quoting this:

Shadow Hawks are fine medium mechs in AS for their cost. +2 TMM, generally will be hitting for 2 damage, and 10 structure + internals. Solid mech. :)

I learned the game on an SHD-2D2.

There is very, very little love lost between myself and the Shad. Even later models tend to be met with revulsion simply due to the name.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #43 on: 09 January 2019, 18:35:12 »
That explains SO much...  :D

abou

• Captain

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 09 January 2019, 23:12:32 »
And this year there is a new, sixth, level to the Grinder. After the first two levels (now labeled Purple and Blue) the progression is based on tech advancement. That often parlays into larger mechs but the key qualifier is the increasing complexity of the tech on each mech.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #46 on: 10 January 2019, 10:59:18 »
And this year there is a new, sixth, level to the Grinder. After the first two levels (now labeled Purple and Blue) the progression is based on tech advancement. That often parlays into larger mechs but the key qualifier is the increasing complexity of the tech on each mech.

When I adapted the grinder for my mech supply, it was very clearly set out for what weapons were allowed at each level, and it is about rule complexity.  eg: Minimum range weapons are not in the first tier, but in the 2nd. Things like pulse lasers, and MRMs where modifiers are added to the target number (+ or -) were in a later tier, etc.

YMMV for it, but I suggest laying out what weapon rule types at each level, then work from there. (CDT grinder also balances with BV2 to set levels at each tier, but that is not required for your game)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #47 on: 10 January 2019, 11:19:34 »
When I adapted the grinder for my mech supply, it was very clearly set out for what weapons were allowed at each level, and it is about rule complexity.  eg: Minimum range weapons are not in the first tier, but in the 2nd. Things like pulse lasers, and MRMs where modifiers are added to the target number (+ or -) were in a later tier, etc.

YMMV for it, but I suggest laying out what weapon rule types at each level, then work from there. (CDT grinder also balances with BV2 to set levels at each tier, but that is not required for your game)

And don't forget, in the CDT Grinder that appears at GenCon (and other con's I'm Sure), not ALL Pilots are 4/5, some are 3/4 or even 2/3. Example, I think the Stingers are often piloted by a 2/3 Pilot.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #48 on: 10 January 2019, 13:48:05 »
And don't forget, in the CDT Grinder that appears at GenCon (and other con's I'm Sure), not ALL Pilots are 4/5, some are 3/4 or even 2/3. Example, I think the Stingers are often piloted by a 2/3 Pilot.

It is all BV balanced, which is often due to the pilots. So yes, the stinger is 2/3, while the panther is 4/5. That is to bring the stinger into shouting distance of the Panther's BV2.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 15 January 2019, 10:35:55 »

Tournament level stuff will make appearance in the 2nd or 3rd week.  For the first night, I'm going KISS. All Intro tech, SSW sheets with tables.
I haven't made my choices yet, but I'm bringing 4 lights, 4 mediums, 4 heavies, and 4 assaults.  All pilots will be 2/3. Die and respawn a weight class higher. 

I was thinking about NeonKnight's idea of dropping a single target with -1/-1 skill on the table, but without a carrot, I can't make that stick work.  I figure a Timber Wolf Pryde could make a huge mess of things before it gets chewed to death. But alas.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 15 January 2019, 13:50:04 »
Yeah that may be something for later. Even if it’s just that the monster doesn’t show until the players have heavies at least. Solid approach otherwise.
Another idea: color code the light sheets a little.
“Ok, your weapon list is in the green box. Armor is in the big blue box. Internals in the purple box. Heat is in the red box.”
Makes things less intimidating, reduces information overload
The solution is just ignore Paul.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 15 January 2019, 13:58:48 »
I settled on
WLF-1, PNT-9R, COM-2D, and VLK-QA for the lights

CLNT-2-3T, CRB-20, HBK-4G, and DV-6M for the mediums.
And because the Dervish has waaay too much SRM-2 ammo, I gave that one a ton of Inferno, also to see if anyone is paying attention. }:-)

WHM-6K, MAD-3R, TDR-5S, and CRD-3K

BLG-1G, AWS-8Q, VTR-9S, and KGC-0000

Each weight class has a mix of troopers, brawlers, glass cannons, and long range support.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 15 January 2019, 14:06:20 »
That king crab auto-wins unless you have 2 or more maps. I recommend 1 map for 4 starting players
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #53 on: 15 January 2019, 16:08:14 »
Most of the time I use 2 maps, typically Open Terrain ones for beginners.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #54 on: 15 January 2019, 16:14:07 »
That king crab auto-wins unless you have 2 or more maps. I recommend 1 map for 4 starting players

Yeah, unless you plan to give it to the player who has been losing the most . . . I think a Banshee 3S or 3MC might be better.

Additionally, while I love the throwback to the unseen I think you should select different heavies.  Probably most of them featured in TRO 3039, you only have a few mechs that do not so as a 'current' product they can leap into IMO its a good idea.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 16 January 2019, 08:49:43 »
Yeah, unless you plan to give it to the player who has been losing the most . . . I think a Banshee 3S or 3MC might be better.

Additionally, while I love the throwback to the unseen I think you should select different heavies.  Probably most of them featured in TRO 3039, you only have a few mechs that do not so as a 'current' product they can leap into IMO its a good idea.

The King Crab will either be the first or the last assault on the field.  If its the first, then it's going to burn a lot of ammo killing heavies.  If its the last, it will wrap things up with a bang.  In either case, it will teach them to respect that 9 hex bubble. 

We'll be playing on the standard map, but ignore the water. Half of the other Assaults have PPCs, so the KC will have to move to the center of the field. In which case, the other players will learn to use the woods and hills. 

I think you're right about too much Unseen in the Heavies.  There isn't a lot of spectacular in the Introtech heavies. The Warhammer and Marauder are both near and dear.  I also want to add some variety of speed. That means Exterminator, Quickdraw, Dragon/Grand Dragon or Champion.  There's already a lot of PPC in the heavies, and bringing and AC/5 to this fight seems weak, so Dragon/Grand Dragon is not ideal. Quickdraw is too... something for a game like this. I'm thinking Champion, then replace the Thud with an Orion. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #56 on: 16 January 2019, 11:02:02 »
I would suggest using things your prospective players can likely get . . . so a Cataphract (may still be found in Lance Pack), Catapult (GoAC box, Lance Pack & 3039), Dragon/Grand Dragon (Lance Pack & 3039) . . . and I want to say Grasshopper (Lance Pack & 3039).  While I love the Exterminator its not in 3039 nor does it appear in a Lance Pack.

Here are links to some of the counters made available through BT-

https://bg.battletech.com/download/CAT3500A_BoxSet_RecordSheets_with_Counters.pdf?x64300

Released with the announcement of the new box set-
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33540722_10155517354268148_5249558184519008256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=c6f2590dac16dd90c60805a725ad9e0b&oe=5CC4B401

Pretty sure Cubby released more stand ups going into GenCon along with those pilot cards that did not make the box but I am not going to dig back that much.  I would say check May 2018 post?
Colt Ward

Register