Author Topic: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.  (Read 45471 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.
« Reply #60 on: 09 April 2019, 12:31:24 »
i've been a late adopter of MW games since MW3. probably won't pick this one up until after it gets discounted unless the response is overwhelmingly positive

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 09 April 2019, 14:41:31 »
I'm on the fence....love MW4....and 3.  Liked MWO when it came out.  HOWEVER, the way they've nerfed everything over the last 8 months, I really don't care for the game much anymore.  It's been completely catered to the people who only like to rush in and brawl.  Strategy is completely gone.  It's just become another first person shooter.  I am afraid that MW5 will go the same route.
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 09 April 2019, 15:52:52 »
Considering it's a PVE only game, I don't think there will be balance nerfs.

I'm on the fence....love MW4....and 3.  Liked MWO when it came out.  HOWEVER, the way they've nerfed everything over the last 8 months, I really don't care for the game much anymore.  It's been completely catered to the people who only like to rush in and brawl.  Strategy is completely gone.  It's just become another first person shooter.  I am afraid that MW5 will go the same route.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #63 on: 09 April 2019, 18:30:00 »
Funny, the LRM and lock-on nerf was enough to get me back into the game. Because I was sick of dealing with teammates who sat still and LRMed from 1K meters back and claimed to be 'strategically' useful despite being more a hindrance than a help.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2019, 20:07:16 by Caedis Animus »

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 24 April 2019, 08:54:50 »
Funny, the LRM and lock-on nerf was enough to get me back into the game. Because I was sick of dealing with teammates who sat still and LRMed from 1K meters back and claimed to be 'strategically' useful despite being more a hindrance than a help.

I would do this on occasion.....map dependent. Generally, I would get 450-650meters out and rain then move, rain then move. I avoided all close in combat as I wasn't designed for it in the mech I ran. My biggest gripe is the lock on nerf ant the variable firing arcs now. I have plastered friendlies with a full volley of missiles too many times due to the firing arc changing. Fortunately, it was close enough that it did no damage.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 06 May 2019, 08:53:11 »
Well, I broke down and did the pre-order.  Hopefully they don't screw it up like they have MWO.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #66 on: 22 May 2019, 17:08:07 »
I would be interested in a pre-order if PGI was going to add new related era mechs like the Ostroc or Ostsol...and you get the mech for both MWO and MW5...
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #67 on: 26 May 2019, 06:28:16 »
Maybe their resources are tied into one thing at time. They don't seem to come out with alot mechs.

I get feeling their not in hurry to fill in old classic mechs like Ostroc & Ostsol.  I think their more likely introduce stuff like the Hauptman.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 26 May 2019, 08:53:42 »
Maybe for MWO, they can't yet for MW5. It's set far too soon.  I'll be a little disappointed if the starting roster is only what's been released in MWO, with no MW5 exclusives.  Kind of like the Hatchetman for HBS.

Maybe their resources are tied into one thing at time. They don't seem to come out with alot mechs.

I get feeling their not in hurry to fill in old classic mechs like Ostroc & Ostsol.  I think their more likely introduce stuff like the Hauptman.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 26 May 2019, 18:34:03 »
Maybe for MWO, they can't yet for MW5. It's set far too soon.  I'll be a little disappointed if the starting roster is only what's been released in MWO, with no MW5 exclusives.  Kind of like the Hatchetman for HBS.
Sorry i got confused which game w were jabbering about. I was using my phone.  xp 
I wish they sort out the physical attack thing with MW5. 

Have they finalized what is going be in the game or there going be more added?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #70 on: 26 May 2019, 19:31:51 »
Sorry i got confused which game w were jabbering about. I was using my phone.  xp 
I wish they sort out the physical attack thing with MW5. 

Have they finalized what is going be in the game or there going be more added?
This is PGI we're talking about. We won't hear much more until it is less than a week out.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #71 on: 25 July 2019, 11:38:53 »
Breaking news.

https://mw5mercs.com/news/2019/07/9-development-update

Epic Game Store exclusive.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 25 July 2019, 11:43:32 »
Walp. I guess this just means I'm not playing MW5.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 25 July 2019, 11:47:03 »
Wow, that's just not good news.

PsylockeSmythe

• Corporal
« Reply #74 on: 25 July 2019, 11:52:38 »
Not good; and off my purchase when it comes out list.

Psy

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 25 July 2019, 11:54:55 »
Breaking news.

https://mw5mercs.com/news/2019/07/9-development-update

Epic Game Store exclusive.

Gents,

I don't play too many other video games, but I notice that people REALLY dislike Epic Games store.  Can someone share with me why this is a big deal?  I never wanted to download Steam, but I use it to launch HBS' BattleTech.  Is this not just another launcher?

Sorry for being so uninformed!  Let me know why this bothers you all.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #76 on: 25 July 2019, 12:03:25 »
I'll be honest here...my whole response is...'meh'

So it's Epic Games. Not seeing a reason to tear me hair out. after all. I have STEAM, and ORGINS, and other stores.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #77 on: 25 July 2019, 12:04:23 »
for me it's sort of like streaming services

i've got netflix, hulu, and amazon prime video. even if cost weren't an issue, i don't want to have to go in a dozen directions to find the content i want

with games i've already got gog, steam, and my nintendo hardware. same deal. launch exclusives will show up eventually on other services, especially AAA titles that i refuse to pay full price for in the first place so getting it in that window doesn't matter to me. permanent exclusives? well, i've already got plenty of games i haven't even played yet.

so for me it's nothing specific about epic, it's just they came to the party late and i don't want what they're trying to sell me.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ssfsx17

• Corporal
« Reply #78 on: 25 July 2019, 12:05:27 »
Gents,

I don't play too many other video games, but I notice that people REALLY dislike Epic Games store.  Can someone share with me why this is a big deal?  I never wanted to download Steam, but I use it to launch HBS' BattleTech.  Is this not just another launcher?

1. The feature gap is extremely large. Just a quick example: the EGS launcher does not have a shopping cart feature.
2. Several games have been announced for Steam, then suddenly jump to EGS because they were paid hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. Fans of those games see this as betrayal. They backed games on Kickstarter with the expectation of Steam. Quick example: Tetris Effect requires SteamVR, yet is an EGS exclusive.
3. People take issue with various statements made by the head of Epic.

As for me - I was originally waffling about whether to figure out how to get Mechwarrior 2 working, or just wait for MW5. I now have my answer. The answer is to go back to MW2.

slh

• Recruit
« Reply #79 on: 25 July 2019, 12:05:39 »
Gents,

I haven't been keeping up with it personally myself; here's what I read about it:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/5/18295833/epic-games-store-controversy-explained

https://kotaku.com/why-people-are-so-mad-about-the-epic-games-store-1833848770

Thorvidar

• Sergeant
  • Dark Horse Company Commander
« Reply #80 on: 25 July 2019, 12:07:46 »
The Reason people dont like it is is simple. Many of us are tired of having multiple Launchers. Thats one reason. I prefer steam as it is a more fleshed out Store front and is consumer friendly at least compared to many of the other launchers out there. Another reason is that Steam is not very invasive of your computer, Spyware some would say. Epic is known to have a Launcher that is not fleshed out, does not even have a Cart to put more then one item in. Also it has some really nasty Chinese Spyware that runs in the background, pulling out information from all over your system. It looks into your steam account, netflix account, etc... so many people are understandably not too happy to have such things running on their computer.

Also that Epic is not consumer friendly. They have been buying out Exclusive games for their launcher. At least 5 other hyped games that I know of off the top of my head. I will not support such practices, nor will a support a company like PGI who lied and said I would have a Steam copy of the game. I pulled my Refund and Now ask that CGL remove them from the list of Strech goals for the Clan invasion. I will not support or promote such a company with my money.

"I don't care what people say, there's no "One True Battletech" way to enjoy this title.
There are many roads leading to Terra, many jump points, let them come." ATLAS3060

"Long story short, if you got a Masakari Prime for IF, you're doing it wrong anyway :)." -Nckestrel

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 25 July 2019, 12:12:48 »
Pgi can ****** off. No MW5 for me.
Egs is not the issue, exclusivity is, lemme choose my platform.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 25 July 2019, 12:13:09 »
I haven't been keeping up with it personally myself; here's what I read about it:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/5/18295833/epic-games-store-controversy-explained

https://kotaku.com/why-people-are-so-mad-about-the-epic-games-store-1833848770

Thanks for the links!  I'm not bothered.  Still looking forward to MW5.  Maybe me and NeonKnight will co-op a campaign and tell you all if it is worthwhile!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 25 July 2019, 12:17:08 »
I pulled my Refund and Now ask that CGL remove them from the list of Strech goals for the Clan invasion. I will not support or promote such a company with my money.

I totally respect your opinion. 

That being said, there is approximately 0.0% chance CGL will remove MW5, an extremely lucrative tie-in to the franchise from their stretch goals.  That just won't happen.  The more successful HBS' BattleTech and PGI's  MW5 are, the more success CGL hopes to spin into tabletop BattleTech.  There is just too much cross pollination.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #84 on: 25 July 2019, 12:31:11 »
But (and I could be wrong here) you don;t pay for EPIC GAMES, you pay for the actual game, so does it matter how you access it?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #85 on: 25 July 2019, 12:34:42 »
I will just wait until it is on steam or on disk, I am in no hurry.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #86 on: 25 July 2019, 12:36:19 »
But (and I could be wrong here) you don;t pay for EPIC GAMES, you pay for the actual game, so does it matter how you access it?

Given the allegations of spyware levied against the launcher, some would say "yes"

I realise that Epic says we have nothing to fear, just as I realise such attempts at brushing them away have, in the past all too often turned out to be false.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #87 on: 25 July 2019, 12:48:48 »
...so does it matter how you access it?

Absolutely.

I was told steam access when I forked-over my cash.
All my friends are on steam. Where over 90% of the games we play are all docked.
I was looking forward to MW:5 precisely to play with friends.
"Oh hey, Tim is online. Maybe we can get in a drop or two?"

I want to be furious, but... I expected as much from PGI.
Same ole.
I was crushed when METRO Exodus left steam, and gave up on ever playing.
Seriously considering dropping my MW preorder now.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #88 on: 25 July 2019, 12:51:50 »
Absolutely.

I was told steam access when I forked-over my cash.
All my friends are on steam. Where over 90% of the games we play are all docked.
I was looking forward to MW:5 precisely to play with friends.
"Oh hey, Tim is online. Maybe we can get in a drop or two?"

I want to be furious, but... I expected as much from PGI.
Same ole.
I was crushed when METRO Exodus left steam, and gave up on ever playing.
Seriously considering dropping my MW preorder now.

well, that's fair....sadly. my Steam Friends list for people I play with has shriveled into the single digits...Zero counts as a single digit right?

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #89 on: 25 July 2019, 12:53:52 »
Sorry man... I would have been happy to add you!!
And, in fact imagined dropping with friends here, too.