Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!  (Read 184988 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!
« Reply #1080 on: 29 June 2016, 14:33:24 »
People who do the sort of thing your wife's boss does confuse, bemuse and annoy me - it is so stupid when being nice can costs nothing/so little

My review did not go well, I need to make a formal appeal  :'(  but have a very strong case
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1081 on: 29 June 2016, 14:48:56 »
People who do the sort of thing your wife's boss does confuse, bemuse and annoy me - it is so stupid when being nice can costs nothing/so little

My review did not go well, I need to make a formal appeal  :'(  but have a very strong case
Well my friend, I hope that goes well for you.  I'm having to mentally adjust (load up on humility) as I prepare for my new job.  I'm there for my expertise and nothing else.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 29 June 2016, 14:51:29 »
Well my friend, I hope that goes well for you.  I'm having to mentally adjust (load up on humility) as I prepare for my new job.  I'm there for my expertise and nothing else.

Annoyingly, the day to day work is going well at the moment

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1083 on: 30 June 2016, 02:28:00 »
I blame the new format of the forum.  When the Hall moved from the bottom, things slowed considerably.  We no longer sit at the bottom, collecting all the sinking detritus.  But yeah, I was thinking the other day of even farther back, of folks I've scarcely seen since the great crash five or six years ago.  Of course, I'm sure many of them are still around and just don't drop in on this thread.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2016, 02:34:56 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Joskney

• Troubled one...
  • Corporal
  • Lesnovo's Ronin Warrior.
« Reply #1084 on: 04 July 2016, 02:18:07 »
Well, some of us just rarely visit.  Good to see you all.
472nd Division (ComStar), 12th Army

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1085 on: 05 July 2016, 11:33:38 »
I was trying to look something up in Endgame and saw something I've never noticed before.  Does the large building (Davion Palace?) on the cover behind Prometheus look like Jabba's Palace to anyone else?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1086 on: 06 July 2016, 07:28:10 »
I was trying to look something up in Endgame and saw something I've never noticed before.  Does the large building (Davion Palace?) on the cover behind Prometheus look like Jabba's Palace to anyone else?
A little, just a little
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #1087 on: 06 July 2016, 23:19:55 »
I blame the new format of the forum.  When the Hall moved from the bottom, things slowed considerably.  We no longer sit at the bottom, collecting all the sinking detritus.  But yeah, I was thinking the other day of even farther back, of folks I've scarcely seen since the great crash five or six years ago.  Of course, I'm sure many of them are still around and just don't drop in on this thread.

This repositioning matter is a matter I will not even speculate upon. Such things get you banned. As to the missing.......I miss them.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #1088 on: 10 July 2016, 13:43:19 »
I thought the board had been deleted there for a while. I really had to hunt for it.
Just thought I'd say hi. It seems I have some time available for BT again. Can't ride my bike with a busted foot.  :-\
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #1089 on: 10 July 2016, 22:32:47 »
Oooooh. Had a similar trouble a few years back. Broke my right ankle. Could not drive my car. If I had broken my left ankle....automatic transmission and all. But no, it had to be the right ankle.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #1090 on: 11 July 2016, 00:12:18 »
Yea, broke bones in my right foot. As a friend said, I broke my bike's fall.  ;D
Only cosmetic damage to the bike.
Also broke a few bones in my left wrist.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #1091 on: 11 July 2016, 20:48:09 »
Oy. Yeah, had a friend that did that when I was a kid. Broken ankle, broken wrist, bike taken away for a while.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1092 on: 14 August 2016, 03:21:44 »
I start a new job tomorrow, working for the state government.  It's not exactly my dream job, but it's a foot in the door.
Sunrise is Coming.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1093 on: 14 August 2016, 04:45:34 »
I start a new job tomorrow, working for the state government.  It's not exactly my dream job, but it's a foot in the door.

Welcome to civil service work and hopefully this won't be too bad while you use it as a stepping stone

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1094 on: 14 August 2016, 07:51:05 »
AW, good news for you.  Good luck with it.

Dan, how is the world treating you these days?

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1095 on: 14 August 2016, 08:46:54 »
Not the easiest question to answer, in some ways things are a bit rubbish but in other ways things are good. The most important thing has been getting treated for anxiety/depression and now I've been on treatment for a while (antidepressants and cognitive behavioural therapy) I'm more the person I want to be and so feel I can take whatever the world/work throws at me

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1096 on: 14 August 2016, 12:54:55 »
Not the easiest question to answer, in some ways things are a bit rubbish but in other ways things are good. The most important thing has been getting treated for anxiety/depression and now I've been on treatment for a while (antidepressants and cognitive behavioural therapy) I'm more the person I want to be and so feel I can take whatever the world/work throws at me
Good for you.  I'm really glad that you are doing better.

I've been at my new job a month and already realize it isn't the right place for me.  I am coming to the conclusion that if I am not in the "gun club" I'm not certain I want to be around the "gun club" anymore.  At least my wife is enjoying her new job.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1097 on: 14 August 2016, 12:56:14 »
Good for you.  I'm really glad that you are doing better.

I've been at my new job a month and already realize it isn't the right place for me.  I am coming to the conclusion that if I am not in the "gun club" I'm not certain I want to be around the "gun club" anymore.  At least my wife is enjoying her new job.

So, some good, some bad
How long do you need to stay in your current job so it doesn't look bad to leave it?

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1098 on: 14 August 2016, 17:12:00 »

So, some good, some bad
How long do you need to stay in your current job so it doesn't look bad to leave it?
Well, the supposed average for a newly retired military type is to change jobs at least twice in the first 24 months.  Several people I known for a while have reacted, without me saying anything, with a, "hey, that's great you're working while you find something you want."  So I guess it is expected.

This opportunity meant I didn't have to look for a job while recovery from surgery on my shoulder, I could "relax" a bit the last few weeks before I retired (which I wasn't doing at the time), I'm currently within walking distance of physical therapy, and I can drop off and pick up my boys from day care while my wife pursues her career.  I'm blessed honestly.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1099 on: 14 August 2016, 17:27:39 »
That does sound good really

Any other news at my end is lost as I barely manage to get off the sofa thanks to new access to Netflix and the Marvel series on there...

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1100 on: 25 August 2016, 16:11:14 »
I've been busy up north for a change, then figured I ought to pop in
and say hello.

It is a touch fiddly finding this wee part of the forum.

In other news I'm mulling over ending a long friendship, no nobody from here
that's on Facebook.  You're all lovely, or amusingly evil.  Someone I've played
with for a long time, we had a screaming row about something.  I've come to
the conclusion that the relationship is frankly unbalanced.  Still not sure what
to do about the whole mess.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1101 on: 25 August 2016, 16:13:30 »
oh dear

I might venture Oop Norff... what is up there of interest?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1102 on: 26 August 2016, 05:16:36 »
That does sound good really

Any other news at my end is lost as I barely manage to get off the sofa thanks to new access to Netflix and the Marvel series on there...
Just got caught up on 'Agents of Shield' myself. Next up for my days off, a 'Daredevil' marathon. Until then, I'll watch the 'Vicar of Dibley' as I need some comedy in my life.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1103 on: 26 August 2016, 08:52:24 »
Well the "has New Avalon fallen" thing was amusing, though last I checked I
think the threads reached it's conclusion.

Asides that not much if honest.  Regrettably dull still this board.

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #1104 on: 26 August 2016, 10:38:10 »
Unfortunately I have to agree on that. It has been a bit dull for a while. About the time CBT moved us from the basement things really slowed down.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1105 on: 26 August 2016, 11:12:08 »
You say "dull", but all I hear is "steady on, now".

In all seriousness, I have to agree that it's rather boring around these parts lately, but I'm not sure if it's because of a lack of interesting topics to talk about or a lack of interesting people to do the talking.

Either way, the board has become the internet version of North Dakota; featureless, dull and sparsely populated.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1106 on: 26 August 2016, 12:55:45 »
I think we're well overdue something new.  By that I do not mean another
"historical" or "touring the stars", I mean actual new moving forwards stuff.

I want to know what happens next.  I should add that my lack of enthusiasm
for the above examples, doesn't mean I'm scornful of them.  Just more a
case of being interested in the main course, not the starters.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1107 on: 26 August 2016, 13:59:19 »
I can understand that, but I'm actually just the opposite.  I'm really intrigued by the Historicals we've had so far and I LOVE the first Succession War book, so I'm really looking forward to more of that kind of thing.  As for moving the story forward, I'm so far behind now that it just doesn't appeal to me any longer, but that's just me.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1108 on: 26 August 2016, 14:28:15 »
I found the First Succession War (and Reunification War) books a bit too grim and filled with atrocity after atrocity. At least Amaris is properly Space-Hitler and the atrocities were almost exclusively committed by only one side.

I find the idea of two sides that are neither perfect but neither truly evil much more interesting. I am just reading a Naomi Novik novel which is giving an interesting view of early 19th century Japan (Blood of Tyrants) which is making me reconsider the Draconis Combine for example (they're still EVIL but y'know, our friendly and familiar kind of evil...).

I keep an eye on the Fan Articles, Fan Fiction etc bits but not the bits further North.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1109 on: 27 August 2016, 16:58:04 »
That reminds me, I'd been reading the 1SW book off and on, need to get back to it.

Well the "has New Avalon fallen" thing was amusing, though last I checked I
think the threads reached it's conclusion.

Asides that not much if honest.  Regrettably dull still this board.
Yes, I seem to have killed it with a bit of pedantry.  A shame.
Sunrise is Coming.

Register