Author Topic: Battletech community active forums?  (Read 3461 times)

Nethog

• Recruit
Battletech community active forums?
« on: 09 February 2024, 06:53:39 »
I am a little surprised at how quite this forum is. I'm new to Battletech - does anyone recommend any other Battletech  forums where there is a lively community?

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
Re: Battletech community active forums?
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2024, 09:29:51 »
Sarna is even more dead then here only places with forums i use are very old grognad land so not a place for new folks maybe its all on the social media stuff now , but i am unsure as maybe its harder with the new guidelines with CGL telling people what to think

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2024, 09:30:34 »
we have dull days...dont forget community is an avarge in their 40 plus and they do have other lives besides here
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2024, 09:34:57 »
Discord seems to be the new hotness for interactions, even the Sarna server there is pretty busy.  The Facebook fan battletech pages vary in traffic as well. 

I am a little surprised at how quite this forum is. I'm new to Battletech - does anyone recommend any other Battletech  forums where there is a lively community?

Nethog

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2024, 09:47:12 »
Thanks all. I actually posted this question originally in the rules area, but someone moved it here - already several responses to my question, so more active people here. I am wondering why there isn't more discussion in the rules area? Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2024, 09:53:10 »
Possibly timezones.  I'm actually up kinda early myself.  You should see more responses.  Plus this isn't a rules question, that's why I can see the moderators moving it.

Thanks all. I actually posted this question originally in the rules area, but someone moved it here - already several responses to my question, so more active people here. I am wondering why there isn't more discussion in the rules area? Anyway thanks for the feedback.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2024, 10:04:19 »
Most forumites here have jobs, mortgages, kids and/or grandkids.  I love BattleTech, just wish I had more time to play it.  I would love more active discussions too, but I probably wouldn’t be able to post more than once a day ever if there were….

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2024, 10:07:03 »
I'm also on Lords of the Battlefield (LotB) and BattleTech Universe (BTU.  By comparison, these Forums are NOT "Quiet" by ANY stretch of the imagination.   :shocked:

The only Forum section on LotB that sees regular posts is their Trade & Sell section, and that's mainly Aries Games & Minis posting stock updates.  The last 2 posts this year were in the T&S and Trader's Feedback sections.   :undecided:

Then BTU is currently down "For Maintenance", and has been for a few weeks now.  Again, WEEKS.  One guy seems to post a lot there (mainly nonsense as far as I'm concerned), and their T&S Section hasn't seen a new post since '22.  I think by me.   :undecided:

Several years back, someone on LotB posted that he thought FB was taking the place of Forums and the Forums would soon be dead.  I told him I didn't think so, but it's clear NOW that he seems to be right.   :cry:

By comparison (again!), the oldest posts on THIS board are from DEC '23.  One in the MW: Destiny Section (24 DEC), the older in the MWDA Section (11 DEC).  Every other section here has seen posts either "Today" (as I type this) or as "Far" back as 29 JAN.  Then I spot the "Forum News" Section hasn't had a post since 2 DEC '23.   :rolleyes:   :laugh:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

General308

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2024, 10:33:48 »

Seems the Facebook groups have most the activity these days. 

NeonWolf

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2024, 10:58:49 »
In the interview that Rem Alternis did recently on the Critical Rocket podcast she made the comment that an official BattleTech Discord is in the works.  There also appears to be some activity on the BattleTech subreddit, not sure as I don't use that platform much

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2024, 11:03:18 »

Only rules team members are allowed to respond to posts in that section. As this was not a rules question, it was moved to where it could best be answered

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2024, 11:24:11 »
That board is for us regular folks to ask questions and the Important People to answer, not for discussion  amongst us plebes.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 11:27:42 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2024, 11:32:09 »

Battletech sub on Reddit seems to be getting decent amount of traffic lately

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2024, 11:38:59 »
While I frequent this forum myself, my group avoids most game forums due to bad experiences elsewhere in the pass. Reddit and Discord tend to get more casual traffic while this forum lights up more during updates or new publications.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 11:41:00 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2024, 12:14:53 »
I would second Reddit as a forum. (Separately: Do we not count the world's biggest forum as a forum?)

There's plenty of old content around here that's as relevant now as the day it was written. If you have rules questions, you should be able to search through them for answers. Necromance a long-forgotten thread if you want to restart a conversation. Or write an article or start a new thread on an old topic.

I say this as sincerely as I've ever said anything: I've never felt like this place had a dearth of opinions.

If you want to look directly into a stream of content which provokes lively discussion, there's always Tumblr.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2024, 13:17:20 »
Tumblr has been on life support for awhile, FB groups are much more active and much more divisive depending on the group (there are many that I avoid, I don't have time these days nerd rage) As FB is losing relevancy, traffic will be just as spotty with the exception of those few groups who just exist to post memes and start arguments.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2024, 13:55:31 »
There's plenty of old content around here that's as relevant now as the day it was written. If you have rules questions, you should be able to search through them for answers.
That is a huge benefit of these forums. With good search terms (and limiting the search to the rules question sections) it's easy to find answers to obscure rules questions from twelve years ago, avoiding having to re-ask them.
Even if your exact question isn't answered, you can usually get a "good enough" answer by reading all the (extremely thorough) answers on similar topics.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2024, 13:58:41 »
we have dull days...dont forget community is an avarge in their 40 plus and they do have other lives besides here

I don’t care how accurate this is. You take that back!  :tongue:

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2024, 14:46:21 »

unfortunately the concept of the online forum is an older one that has been falling out of favor with younger generations of player, who tend to congregate in social media groups or chatrooms.

not really because these spaces are better for interaction (in many ways they are worse) but mostly because that is just the style of interaction that is increasingly common, especially as mobile devices like smartphones and tablets have replaced the PC and laptop as the most common means of accessing the internet.

the battletech facebook groups for example are quite lively, as is the semi-official reddit page, though both tend to be primarily newer players trying to get answers about stuff. spawns some lively discussions though.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2024, 15:09:21 »
Keep in mind, we have years and years of answers for questions that have already been asked and answered many times. Newer material drives over old, and we're in a bit of a lull.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #20 on: 09 February 2024, 15:57:16 »
So many different places have forums.
But like everything in the world, some are active and not as much battletech and more angry. 
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Nethog

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 09 February 2024, 20:14:27 »
Only rules team members are allowed to respond to posts in that section. As this was not a rules question, it was moved to where it could best be answered
Regarding your comment about only team members can respond to post in the rules forum - that explains why the forum seemed dead to me. I posted two questions so far, the first was answered by a moderator. I wondered why no-one else responded other than the moderator. Now I know. I don't really like the restriction and would rather hear from various players. Any official response should be added to a FAQ maintained by Catalyst. My other rules forum question regarding whether initiative only applies to 1 specific case when resolving displacement-based attacks in the physical attack phase remains unanswered as I write this. So that's when I posted the subject of this thread,  initially in the rules forum. Anyway thanks all for the other forum suggestions. After seeing the response to this thread the general forum seems very active - I guess I'll add my rules questions here!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #22 on: 09 February 2024, 20:18:05 »
Regarding your comment about only team members can respond to post in the rules forum - that explains why the forum seemed dead to me. I posted two questions so far, the first was answered by a moderator. I wondered why no-one else responded other than the moderator. Now I know. I don't really like the restriction and would rather hear from various players. Any official response should be added to a FAQ maintained by Catalyst. My other rules forum question regarding whether initiative only applies to 1 specific case when resolving displacement-based attacks in the physical attack phase remains unanswered as I write this. So that's when I posted the subject of this thread,  initially in the rules forum. Anyway thanks all for the other forum suggestions. After seeing the response to this thread the general forum seems very active - I guess I'll add my rules questions here!

The section for general discussion of the rules is here:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 10 February 2024, 04:08:26 »

Not having questions answered can be frustrating but having to wade through replies searching for an official answer is worse. So I'm glad we have separate areas for official answers and general discussion.

As for being the forums being quiet, sometimes it can be when people are busy but as far as I can tell it's usually pretty active.

Nethog

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 10 February 2024, 07:46:55 »
The section for general discussion of the rules is here:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0

Ah! Thanks. Sorry I am new to the Battletech universe and am a little overwhelmed with the various game systems. So there is no sub-forum unique to just the AGoAC boardgame?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 10 February 2024, 08:23:43 »
There’s no dedicated subforum just for the box, if that’s what you’re asking.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Nethog

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: 10 February 2024, 08:49:20 »
There’s no dedicated subforum just for the box, if that’s what you’re asking.
OK thanks. Unfortunately after a quick look at the posts there it seems few to none are relevant to the AGoAC boardgame.

AnejoDave

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 10 February 2024, 09:35:00 »
OK thanks. Unfortunately after a quick look at the posts there it seems few to none are relevant to the AGoAC boardgame.

As that product is a small part of a much bigger game and universe, there is not something dedicated.

However, you're welcome to ask questions about it in this same subforum that this post is in. 
Agent #728

Indianapolis, Indiana

House Kurita

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2024, 09:45:19 »
Ah! Thanks. Sorry I am new to the Battletech universe and am a little overwhelmed with the various game systems. So there is no sub-forum unique to just the AGoAC boardgame?

To expand on what said above, the AGoAC rules are just part of (specifically the so-called "introtech") the main BattleTech rules (as found in the Total War/Tech Manual and/or the BattleMech Manual). Essentially, the rules more or less when it started, before the introduction of Star League/Clan tech later on (in the 90s, when I came in). Which is why it gets called "introtech" becuse it has the least amount of stuff to learn (only mjechs and the most simple technology).

It is in of itself is thus not a standalone boardgame but a introductory sliver of the rules, hense why it doesn't have it's own section. It's like - and I hestitate to make the comparison, but it's the most well-known one - a Warhammer boxed set (only, like, at sane prices), enough to start and play with but not the totality of the game.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2024, 10:37:27 »
As other stated, yes, the RULES FORUMS are places where you ask the PTB particular questions, and get an official answer.

If you are Looking for more of a discussion, then yes, you have a couple of places to ask, i.e. The Ground Combat Section, the GENERAL DISCUSSION area is also another good place to ask.

That said, I had to click on your name to see the posts you were looking for an answer to, and, I can honestly say, that is indeed a good one, and I am hopping to see answer to it soon. Sure I (and the masses could discuss it), and we can offer our insights, but I can see that question going either way, and I know which way I'd like to see it go, as to me it 'makes sense' from a rules interaction Point of View, which oddly, iswhy we have an official rules section.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Register