Author Topic: What Is the Mech Parked at the Battlemech Repair Facility in TRO:3025?  (Read 3267 times)

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
The original TRO:3025 in its last entry shows a Battlemech Repair Facility.  At that facility you can barely see one mech around to the side.  But you do see one mech being repaired upright with a helmet like head and apparently a heavy projectile weapon as the "mech's right arm.

Any idea what kind of mech that was?

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Any number of things. There are a LOT of 'mechs with a heavy weapon in the right arm and with a helmet-style cockpit.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
I always assumed it was a Victor, but now that you mention it I guess it could be one of a good dozen designs.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
I always assumed it was a Victor, but now that you mention it I guess it could be one of a good dozen designs.

I hadn't considered that.  A Victor would make sense given the "helmet head. AC-20 on the right arm, and the wide leg stance"

Okay.  I'm good with that.

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
A Victor seems to be the closest fit. 

What is the mech that's facing us?  A stocky Vulcan?  The torso, shoulders and right arm make me think Vulcan, but there's a missile rack in the right torso. 

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
I think it might be a Blackjack?

Victor seems solid for the 'side' 'Mech, though the gun arm seems longer and more tapered than it does in the art. The arm plating on the left arm also has differing shapes.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
I always thought of a Dragon.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
Obviously...I'm not "Loose"...but zoom in on the image, and then pull up in a separate window the image of the Victor...

You'll see you're correct in thinking this is the mech. There's a 4 tube missile launcher in the left torso, so along with the "big gun" in the right arm, and the helmet style with a LARGE view port head...it's a Victor. Very little to doubt it with the exception of the following...

There's a radar dish just above it's head. Not sure if that's on the mech or not, but it's there. Could be part of the gantry.

There are no lasers in the left arm. Doesn't mean much since specs & art never seem to be 100% accurate.

Those two things aside...I'm 99% sure it was meant to be a Victor.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 22:49:00 by Dragon41673 »
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Luciora

• Major
It could also be an Atlas, considering the radar dish on the head.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Was the original question about the Mech that is mostly obscured or the one to the right?  I got confused in the replies. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 00:50:28 by Louie N »

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
I think is a Banshee.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
There is only one 3025 mech with a radar dish on its head and that is the Atlas.

mcjomar

• Corporal
  • Don't think, Mechwarrior, find out!
Unless the radar dish is attached to something else on the other side of the mech?

It looks most like a victor to me. OR a heavily modified banshee.
That faceplate is not an atlas feature.
The SRM launcher on the side makes me think "victor" as well.

The giant cannon? Could be a victor. Could be something else though, as the cannon looks a little less ac20 and a little more ac5.
Courage and Honour!

Pooman

• Master Sergeant
My guess is 'generic' 3025 mech.

Could be one of several mentioned.
PM me if you live in Perth Western Australia and are after a game. Please!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
I'm thinking back to the MWO twitter teas when a good number of people though the blurry Atlas was a Archer. People seem to see what they want to see.

It's looks like a Victor to me but Loose may have started drawing different mech then change it as he was going.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
I'm on board with the Victor theory, but without the cannon... **Banshee theory, [now that I looked at the side profile]  The cannon could be from the Left Torso (concealed by the arm in the fore-ground) but that doesn't explain that radar dish and srm4 in the LT... here's the Javelin to compare:

Javelin: http://www.solaris7.com/images/TRO/BattleMechs/TRO3050/Javelin%203050.gif

Banshee: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/58/3025_Banshee1.jpg/191px-3025_Banshee1.jpg.png
« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 18:08:39 by GoldBishop »
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

LordChaos

• Master Sergeant
What about a Vindicator?  Weapon arm and chest mounted missile tubes looks right, the "radar dish" could be the head mounted ML. 

Legs don't quite match up though.
There is no problem that can't be solved by C-4.

mcjomar

• Corporal
  • Don't think, Mechwarrior, find out!
I think a vindicator has more of a "snout" though. less faceplate, more helmet.
Trebs or Whits are reasonable choices, except that left arm has a fist, which a whit lacks, and the treb usually has rockets on the arms.

Honestly, the Victor seems the closest suggestion we currently have. It's mostly that faceplate, arm, and left srm4 launcher in the chest that makes it look like that though.
Courage and Honour!

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
I chalk it up to being a "Frankenmech". They were par for the course in that era.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
So I pull out my copy of 3025 and am sitting looking at the back cover... And honestly, I don't think they are meant to represent any of the Mechs in the book.

Looking at the picture, I see something that may have been a concept or proof that he used to get the job. I say this because it is completely different than any of his other works  in the book. It looks like he took a picture of a gantry of some kind, whited over it and then drew in the spaces he had (if you really look at the top portion it looks less drawn and more real). Maybe that was just the best way to get the "repair facility" look. It is also possible that the whole entry for the repair facility is based on someone really liking this drawing... But if he did it before he started work on the other designs, it would explain why the Mechs look similar to stuff we know, but not quite them. It would even be possible that some aspects of the look of these Mechs found their way into the other drawings. Which is why we all see different things, because we are focusing in on different aspects.

Caz

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
In regards to the dish on the head, yeah only the Atlas had a head mounted dish....as standard equipment.

But with the Cyclops we know that things like a false armor "helmet" can be mounted so I suppose you could add a dish to almost any decent sized mech