Author Topic: Does 16gb DDR3 RAM exist for PCs?  (Read 107 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Does 16gb DDR3 RAM exist for PCs?
« on: 27 March 2024, 22:53:25 »
Hey there, trying to upgrade my system and this is the roadblock I've hit.

The manufacturer (gigabite) says my motherboard takes up to 64gb ram, but also that the memory support list would be updated with 16GB DDR3 hit the market. Judging by the list on their website, it never did.

I guess you can find it in the wild, but only for servers?

If someone knows better, I'd love to hear from them as I am not ready to upgrade my whole system for a few years yet.

Thanks.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
Re: Does 16gb DDR3 RAM exist for PCs?
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2024, 23:02:31 »
just looked on newegg  and they have ddr3  16 gig sticks but they like $100+ US

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2024, 23:20:44 »
they exist they cost money but ram chips for laptops are more expensive...
i lately had started to hit my local scrappers for parts...surprised at what i find heck found some brand new ssd for laptops 500gb to  1tb from 10 to 30 bucks last 2 i got had installed win 11 builds on them ram is a crap shoot
ohh also scored for my friend lcd oled pc monitor curved one for about 40 usd no dead zones or dead pixels...slight discoloration on plastic frame...

i guess you are looking for laptop or notebook?
 if you have an office supply store check there occasion you can get them dirt cheap  in the warewhouse/ wholesale stores like costco and sams price club...at least those are in or east coast of us not sure if some or any are in west coast
if it has a price ending in .98 restock pending .97 item will not be restocked or re ordered the .97 is usually sharply discounted because it was discontinued or not re ordered
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2024, 09:15:14 »
they exist they cost money but ram chips for laptops are more expensive...
i lately had started to hit my local scrappers for parts...surprised at what i find heck found some brand new ssd for laptops 500gb to  1tb from 10 to 30 bucks last 2 i got had installed win 11 builds on them ram is a crap shoot
ohh also scored for my friend lcd oled pc monitor curved one for about 40 usd no dead zones or dead pixels...slight discoloration on plastic frame...

i guess you are looking for laptop or notebook?
 if you have an office supply store check there occasion you can get them dirt cheap  in the warewhouse/ wholesale stores like costco and sams price club...at least those are in or east coast of us not sure if some or any are in west coast
if it has a price ending in .98 restock pending .97 item will not be restocked or re ordered the .97 is usually sharply discounted because it was discontinued or not re ordered

PC actually
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman