Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire : Plus Ultra  (Read 197369 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Bienvenidos al Imperio del Escorpión II : Necrosia Boogaloo
« Reply #630 on: 21 October 2018, 06:54:09 »
Snord has a pretty clear background. He's a Wolf Freeborn
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #631 on: 21 October 2018, 11:03:11 »
I don't think so...

Maybe a freeborn GS seeker who trained with the Dragon Compromise trainees... When they needed fillers to "act" natural, freebiths were selected. Performances over brutal tactics and all that.

I for one, think almost ever clan selected a few Stars of freebirths to join, as we're taught that this is a clan infiltration unit. Sure Wolf sent the majority of people, but the training came from Goliath Scorpion and the mechs from various caches around the Home Worlds. I'll even bet Falcon, Bear, Raven, Adder and some prized, including Snord, individuals from the other clans were sent along.

TT

Edit: I just remembered something, most of the Infantry where a "fierce" force to fight, particularly 7th Kommado, Smoke Jaguar freebirths? Every Wolf Dragoon was from somewhere originally, we just don't have official numbers, per SOP of FASA/CGL.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2018, 11:10:56 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #632 on: 21 October 2018, 13:11:10 »
I feel like when I was rereading FM:  Warden Clans last week, that it did mention a couple of GS did accompany the Dragoons (in addition to training them).  Could be that Snord was one of them.  Nothing's been said one way or the other, but it's definitely not impossible.

(Also, tangent, after going through FM Warden Clans and FM Crusader Clans again, I have realized that I enjoy the personalities of the Warden Clans waaaaaaay more.)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #633 on: 21 October 2018, 19:52:48 »
Edit: I just remembered something, most of the Infantry where a "fierce" force to fight, particularly 7th Kommado, Smoke Jaguar freebirths? Every Wolf Dragoon was from somewhere originally, we just don't have official numbers, per SOP of FASA/CGL.

Just not sure I can see a Smoke Jaguar freebirths could be whipped into the elite force that 7th Kommando were unless instead of based on SAS model I've always assumed they went full Spetsnaz style.

Snord has always since we heard of the Goliath Scorpion seemed to have been one of their Seekers.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #634 on: 21 October 2018, 22:12:57 »
I want to say they formed the backbone whereas command was Wolf based. A Star was 100-125 people, a Company was base 4 Platoons : 84-112. Which means some people were re-assigned...

So if we went with 3030 era WD Infantry table...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:WolfDragoons7thKommando.png

They used a 5 Platoon " Battalion " which would mean either 20 / 21 Jump - 25 / 28 Motorized units. ( 100-125 / 105-140 )

Now these would seem like the standard Motorized Infantry but with Man-Portable PPCs ( range 2 .72 ) and Pulse Laser Rifles ( range 1 .25 ), possible Towed AC/5s for support. ( range 6 5. ).

( Quick = 20/21 - 1.72 (2) / 2.22 (2) a Squad - 6.88 (7) / 6.66 (7) a Point-Platoon (Jump), 8.6 (9) / 8.88 (9) (Motorized)
If using the towed AC/5s, you'd -1MP per turn( currently 3 MP if standard ) and carry 20 rounds each gun, 5 / 4 depending on what system your using. Remember this is 7th Kommandos were talking here, if trying to infiltrate most likely House standard kit or current enemy House kit, also Merc stuff as well.

TT
« Last Edit: 21 October 2018, 22:15:10 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #635 on: 15 November 2018, 10:14:44 »
Hey everyone, I just made this insignia for my home brew seeker unit, and was wondering if I could get feedback.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #636 on: 15 November 2018, 10:15:49 »
Oops, forgot the attachment.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #637 on: 16 November 2018, 02:23:37 »
what do the 7 stars represent?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #638 on: 16 November 2018, 06:46:42 »
Looks good. The only change I would suggest is moving the two stars away from the tail.  :thumbsup:
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #639 on: 16 November 2018, 16:52:17 »
Or just the one behind the tail, unit could be a different color star on the stinger to represent them.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #640 on: 16 November 2018, 17:17:53 »
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was thinking of changing the color of all the stars.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #641 on: 29 December 2018, 23:21:28 »
Nice insignia.  The colors are good, but yeah, the two syars by the scorpion's tail. 

Any predictions from my fellow escorpion fans about what the ilClan will bring?
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #642 on: 31 December 2018, 16:23:27 »
Minnesota Scorpions for the win?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #643 on: 31 December 2018, 17:23:20 »
I feel like when I was rereading FM:  Warden Clans last week, that it did mention a couple of GS did accompany the Dragoons (in addition to training them).  Could be that Snord was one of them.  Nothing's been said one way or the other, but it's definitely not impossible.

Necroposting, but I finally found my copy of Rhonda's Irregulars. It gives full biographies for both Cranston and Rhonda Snord. Cranston was a Wolf Freeborn who tested up into the Warrior Caste. He's not a Goliath Scorpion and he's certainly not a Seeker.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #644 on: 31 December 2018, 17:28:38 »
But he could have been a GS Seeker before his trial to gain Wolf Dragoons status... which would, if played right, been a freebirth fight... how many freebirths would do this? Not many, but at least he can say he won...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #645 on: 31 December 2018, 17:41:16 »
He was no doubt influenced and encouraged by the Goliath Scorpions that helped to train the Wolf's Dragoons, then. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #646 on: 31 December 2018, 17:52:32 »
But he could have been a GS Seeker before his trial to gain Wolf Dragoons status... which would, if played right, been a freebirth fight... how many freebirths would do this? Not many, but at least he can say he won...

No. It's clear that he was just a common or garden Wolf Freebirth before he became a member of the Dragoons. He has no connections to the Scorpions or Seekers at all. His interest in history and archaeology is a hobby that developed once he was in the Inner Sphere.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #647 on: 06 January 2019, 00:06:07 »
as best, the fact that Scorpions, including some seekers, helped train the Dragoons as a whole in SLDF combat methods inspired Snord to emulate some of the Scorpion interests.

Talpini

• Private
« Reply #648 on: 19 January 2019, 16:27:16 »
So, Crimson Seeker Star.

I was vaguely hoping for an Escorpión /Sea Fox alliance, but that doesn't look so likely now.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2019, 19:03:03 by Talpini »

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #649 on: 19 January 2019, 21:49:03 »
Re: Crimson Seeker Star

Good Job Wantec!

Really enjoyed it. Loooove how it ties to things like the capture of the Lum Shipyards and the 3071 Eridani Lancer expedition.

Would have liked a few unique unit variants, although there are some nice little things sprinkled in there that the Imperio can take advantage of.

Too Bad CGL still hasn't chosen to fix the spelling of Imperio del Escorpión. Yes I understand the whole language drift argument, but if you speak the language it reads like nails on chalkboard, sorta like:
    In Clan Exiles Wolf
    Falcon Jade The
    Blake of Word
    Fede-Sun-Rated The
    Sea Clan Fox
    League Worlds Free
    Dom-Tort-Inions-Uga
    Republic The Worlds Rim
    Of Magistracy Canopus
    Cobra Clan Cloud
    Mandrill Clan Fire

We should rewrite some canon to reflect English language drift!

We would get some linguistic magic like:

1. When Sun-Tsu finally retook the Ives Compact St.
2. Phelan was captured on Rock The to join the Blood Ward House and eventually founded the In Clan Exiles Wolf!

Still very happy the Scorps got some love!

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #650 on: 20 January 2019, 20:51:23 »
@ Talpini...look at Objectives Periphery pg 32...maybe your idea is not totally impossible. The faction you mention was definitely active in the area just as the Scorps arrived.

Talpini

• Private
« Reply #651 on: 23 January 2019, 18:01:14 »
They're mentioned as clashing in the intro. Though, I suppose clashing is how clanners make friends...

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #652 on: 30 January 2019, 14:36:41 »
They're mentioned as clashing in the intro. Though, I suppose clashing is how clanners make friends...

"Clashing" is the Clan equivalent of a handshake.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #653 on: 07 December 2019, 18:35:12 »
Quick question: Which Scorpions era is more interesting to you? Clan or Imperio?

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #654 on: 07 December 2019, 20:23:15 »
I started out firmly in the Clan camp on this, but I’ve swung over time to the Imperio. In the end, I think I’m most interested in its continued evolution.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #655 on: 09 December 2019, 01:13:27 »
Seconded. Would be good to see an Imperial Touman incorporating lessons learned from the Hellions, Mandrills, Castilians with the original Scorpion doctrines.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #656 on: 15 February 2020, 17:56:46 »
What can Scorpions, err, Imperio, whatever, manufacture?
Wondering because the Arana features Clan ER lasers and a fusion engine, yet the Scorpions have apparently put lower-spec "improved" equipment into production. And the Clan military proper apparently uses better quality stuff than what the security caste does.
Would they use fission engines in military vehicles if necessary? EDIT Wait, what, Combat Vehicle Fission engines are not available for the Clans? This might rules them out... then again mixed tech is an option...

Also, do we know if they still exploit waters like in the Homeworlds? I mean, i always got an impression the Goliath Scorpions were among the most water-focused Clans, with deep diving suits and later the Undine.

EDIT It occurs to me that the Scorpions don't have a supply of HarJel, do they?
« Last Edit: 15 February 2020, 17:59:10 by Empyrus »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #657 on: 16 February 2020, 00:47:56 »
They produce the "improved" weapons because it's a way to kick-start their industry towards mass-production without the more resource-intensive Clan-grade processes. They will eventually unlock Clan-grade mass-production, but survival, unity and rapid advancement are the current priorities.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #658 on: 16 February 2020, 01:50:07 »
it is implied that the two mechs we got entries for represent use of a limited supply of clantech equipment they brought with them when they left the homeworlds. presumably hardware that was going unused (the ProtomechAC's) or they had a reasonable surplus of (the CERML's.)
the local industry was capable of making primitive mechs and supporting succession war period systems prior to their takeover, though it can be hard to tell how much of that may have been damaged durign the takeover (or by saboteurs afterwards.) it is likely that their choice to use industrial chassis equipment was meant to allow them to mass produce them quickly, since it is likely the scorpions wrecked a lot of the native mech units during their takeover, and they'd need stopgaps.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #659 on: 18 February 2020, 06:53:54 »
Like any new nation, it would be better for the Imperials to concentrate on conventional units first before focusing on Mechs. Suits, tanks and ASFs are useful defensive stopgaps and a prudent investment for an initial industry before moving to Mechs, DropShips and at the very end, WarShips.

The Imperio can create at least one or two conventional garrison clusters per world(maybe even a conventional Galaxy) if they boom the conventional units during their first decade or so.

Register