Author Topic: Re: Piloting & Gunnery BV Modifier Official Update  (Read 1269 times)

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Re: Piloting & Gunnery BV Modifier Official Update
« on: 02 December 2019, 12:02:03 »
I'm not sure that this is the right topic for the conversation, but given mods haven't relocated it yet...

Some are, some aren't. But it creates the opposite: A bunch of 2/5, 3/5, etc. pilots without levels in Piloting. Or, conversely, melee-oriented units (4/2, 4/1) without levels in Gunnery.

Many tables I've played at have a house rule about only allowing a max of 1 or 2 separation between piloting and gunnery because people who want to game the system won't bother with 3/5, or 4/1 but rather 8/1 or 1/8

(that works particularly well with homing Arrow IV that requires a cheap tagger to hit anyway, put a dumb pilot that just mashes a button in to severely cut the price, while a cheap high speed scout with tag has a high gunnery to secure the hits)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Re: Re: Piloting & Gunnery BV Modifier Official Update
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2019, 12:52:20 »
I'm not sure that this is the right topic for the conversation, but given mods haven't relocated it yet...

Many tables I've played at have a house rule about only allowing a max of 1 or 2 separation between piloting and gunnery because people who want to game the system won't bother with 3/5, or 4/1 but rather 8/1 or 1/8

(that works particularly well with homing Arrow IV that requires a cheap tagger to hit anyway, put a dumb pilot that just mashes a button in to severely cut the price, while a cheap high speed scout with tag has a high gunnery to secure the hits)
I would say that a Clan pilot at 2/5 (+40% BV) is more valuable than a 3/4 (+32%), for nearly the same cost. Just by not leveling Piloting, you're skipping a 2% - 4% penalty for your entire force. (that's 400 - 800 BV for a 20,000 BV army). I get what you're saying. But it shouldn't require a house rule to fix the obvious.

EDIT: Not going to harp on this further. Last post :)
« Last Edit: 02 December 2019, 13:07:15 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2019, 13:47:54 »

Works for mechs and combat vehs . . . IMO the exception would need to be for BA and infantry that are not Anti-Mech capable, their skills for AM should be 8.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Karack Blackstone

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2019, 10:44:51 »
Someone doing a 1/8 or an 8/1 is creating a weak link.

Hit them, and hit them hard and fast. Drop that unit with someone that basically hard counters their weakness, and they falter, driving a nail into their overall battlefield strategy and tactics plan's coffin.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2019, 11:47:11 »
Someone doing a 1/8 or an 8/1 is creating a weak link.

Hit them, and hit them hard and fast. Drop that unit with someone that basically hard counters their weakness, and they falter, driving a nail into their overall battlefield strategy and tactics plan's coffin.

Huh?  a 1/8 Fenrir or non AM-trained Field Gun makes absolute sense . . . they cannot do anti-mech attacks, why put the BV to it?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2019, 16:45:55 »
Works for mechs and combat vehs . . . IMO the exception would need to be for BA and infantry that are not Anti-Mech capable, their skills for AM should be 8.
I think the real answer is that these units just shouldn't have Anti-'Mech attacks, period. Next to that (in whatever ____ Manual eventually comes out), a little box for "Optional Rule" can say, "if the players agree, infantry not Anti-Mech trained may still attempt an attack, but must do so as if they had a Piloting score of 8."

i.e.: The Total Warfare score would be a 4/X, where they flat-out have no Piloting score.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops